• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rareware Character Possibility?

Would you like to see Rareware characters in Smash Bros.?

• Yes

Votes: 84 84.8%
  • No

Votes: 15 15.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787

All the suggestions of Banjo in ssb4 just makes my soul feel more crushed. please stop, i cant take it

Morbi

Scavenger
Banjo is quite literally the only rareware character that I slightly want. I wouldn't be opposed to any Killer Instinct character, but that is about as likely as a Soul Calibur or Tekken character; less likely actually.

Gnarleysquid

Smash Apprentice
I'd love to see Banjo & Kazooie make their debut in Super Smash Bros., but there's just no way that'll happen – as sad as that is to admit. While it would be a great nostalgia boost and fans would go nuts over it, Nintendo would never allow it to happen. Microsoft may because it equates to free advertising and it hasn't been against putting its games on Nintendo platforms in the past (Viva Pinata: Pocket Paradise for the Nintendo DS is evidence of that), but it doesn't make sense for Nintendo to back the idea.

Now, if the Big N were to buy the rights to the series back from Microsoft and unveil the transaction via a new Super Smash Bros. trailer... that would be AWESOME.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
well then, I couldn't imagine why, "i cant take it" is completely obvious but alright

I would rather have BK than anyone else from Rare, they deserve it the most

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I would have loved to see Banjo and Kazooie in Smash Bros. - even with the first B-K game alone, they'd have a perfect moveset! Too bad Microsoft bought all of Rare's franchise - it wouldn't be as bad if they actually used them for anything as opposed to their current strategy to have Rare develop nothing but Kinect Sports while having Rare's franchises collect dust or get handed to other developers.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Warning Received
upload_2014-4-23_20-37-46.jpeg
If it's not Banjo-Kazooie it has to be this furry little *******.
Conker our furry foul mouthed hero.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
Rareware characters (that aren't still owned by Nintendo) are actually impossible. It's like asking for something like Kratos or Master Chief in Smash Brothers. It's a shame Microsoft bought Rare though, we were robbed of quite a few characters. Banjo would have had more games under Nintendo so I'm willing to bet we'd have not only Banjo and Kazooie, but a second representative for the series. I'd guess either Mumbo or Grunty, but both would have made great assist trophies too.

Joanna would have definitely been in. Keep in mind we already had the cloaking device from Perfect Dark in Melee. I'd also guess maybe Kameo, since it was to be a Gamecube launch window game. I don't get why anyone here thinks Conker would have been in. Diddy Kong Racing and Pocket Tales went out of print when Bad Fur Day came out. Nintendo did not want kids discovering Conker after what Rare did to him. Why would they allow him to star alongside some of their most child friendly characters?

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Rareware characters (that aren't still owned by Nintendo) are actually impossible. It's like asking for something like Kratos or Master Chief in Smash Brothers. It's a shame Microsoft bought Rare though, we were robbed of quite a few characters. Banjo would have had more games under Nintendo so I'm willing to bet we'd have not only Banjo and Kazooie, but a second representative for the series. I'd guess either Mumbo or Grunty, but both would have made great assist trophies too.

Joanna would have definitely been in. Keep in mind we already had the cloaking device from Perfect Dark in Melee. I'd also guess maybe Kameo, since it was to be a Gamecube launch window game. I don't get why anyone here thinks Conker would have been in. Diddy Kong Racing and Pocket Tales went out of print when Bad Fur Day came out. Nintendo did not want kids discovering Conker after what Rare did to him. Why would they allow him to star alongside some of their most child friendly characters?
It was just a suggestion not like it's gonna happen anyway geez.:c

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Banjo and Kazooie would be THE best choice for me, followed by Conker, Juno, Vela and Lupus from Jet Force Gemini. Having any of these characters would be magic; B&K have nothing but potential with their symbiotic relationship; Conker could have his frying pan and a ton of context sensitive moves, and the JFG trio would have a boatload of sci-fi weapons to fall back on.

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
Did you guys know we almost got a Rare crossover in the form of a kart racer? Here's concept art of the now cancelled Banjo-Karting for the 360.

It also reminded me Sabreman is a thing. I think it would have been interesting to have Sabreman in Smash if only to have him alongside Mario. Both characters are very similar proportion wise.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Would anyone say NO to banjo?
I think the bigger question would be: Assuming microsoft were to realize that allowing Banjo/Kazooie into the game would promote a series they killed, would we want to see Banjo if he had to be in nuts and bolts model?

D

Deleted member

Would anyone say NO to banjo?
I think the bigger question would be: Assuming microsoft were to realize that allowing Banjo/Kazooie into the game would promote a series they killed, would we want to see Banjo if he had to be in nuts and bolts model?
I may get burned at the stake for this but the Nuts & Bolts Banjo isn't THAT bad.
Can't really say the same for the game though.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I may get burned at the stake for this but the Nuts & Bolts Banjo isn't THAT bad.
Can't really say the same for the game though.
It certainly is not Nintendo's Banjo.
If he were in, I wouldn't care what much he looked like.

pandajedi

Smash Cadet
Rareware's golden age is and forever will be the most significant part of Nintendo's history that they can't acknowledge. Every other facet of their history, whether or not they choose to reflect it, they at least are allowed to. But for at least 5 years, Rareware was integral to Nintendo, and that will never get brought up again. From dozens of NES games before their official partnership, to being handed the keys to Nintendo's most historic franchise and turning it back into an icon, after which they created some of the most iconic and genre-defining games of a generation. Battletoads, Killer Instinct, Jet Force Gemini, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo, Conker, Diddy Kong Racing... Rare was untouchable back then. The fact that Banjo-Kazooie, by far the most significant second party IP that was ever under the Nintendo banner of franchises, can't make it into smash bros is a crime. I can't imagine the hype a surprise BK announcement would create... the internet would break.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Well we have Diddy in the game and he was made by Rare. But I'd love Banjo eventually. You can't say it'll never happen... it just can't at the current time.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The fact that Banjo-Kazooie, by far the most significant second party IP that was ever under the Nintendo banner of franchises, can't make it into smash bros is a crime.
I understand the sentiment, but I believe Game Freak (Pokemon) is second party. Which, ya know, saved Nintendo from bankruptcy.

ChocolatePancake

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChocolateWaffles
3DS FC
0920-1214-6221
Allowing Rare characters in Smash would actually do Microsoft a FAVOR as well. Think about it. The Xbox One is doing TERRIBLE and, gaming wise, they could use some more money. Putting Banjo or Joanna Dark in would get them the money and publicity they need!

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
This is just asking to turn into a Microsoft hate thread.

I will control myself. Let's just say that I literally might explode if Banjo and Kazooie made it into Smash Bros. While I'm not as invested in their other characters, they might have merited playability if they were still owned by Nintendo (since, you know, they would actually have more games in their series)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Allowing Rare characters in Smash would actually do Microsoft a FAVOR as well. Think about it. The Xbox One is doing TERRIBLE and, gaming wise, they could use some more money. Putting Banjo or Joanna Dark in would get them the money and publicity they need!
must you write everything it such large lettering?

ChocolatePancake

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChocolateWaffles
3DS FC
0920-1214-6221
must you write everything it such large lettering?
Yes. :happysheep:

Did you guys know we almost got a Rare crossover in the form of a kart racer? Here's concept art of the now cancelled Banjo-Karting for the 360.

It also reminded me Sabreman is a thing. I think it would have been interesting to have Sabreman in Smash if only to have him alongside Mario. Both characters are very similar proportion wise.
That would have been AWESOME!:joyful:Where did you get that information?

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Someday, when you least expect it...

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
It already has, in a way.
In all fairness, Microsoft deserves it. Microsoft paid 375 million dollars for Rare and they don't do anything with their IPs sans Killer Instinct now.

Rare's sadly at fault here too. Microsoft did let Rare have some creative freedom at first. Rare's games didn't really capture the Xbox audience. Grabbed by the Ghoulies wasn't the best thing to launch with right after the buyout. Perfect Dark Zero was made about three different times and ended up not being that great. (If you ask me, after the Goldeneye team left to form Free Radical; Rare was doomed with PD unless they got some more talent on board.) I can't blame Rare for much else though. Banjo Threeie was supposed to be a thing but changed into Nuts & Bolts.

What I do blame Microsoft for, is all these cancelled projects. To quote IOnEI Falcon of GAF-

Ordinary Joe

Ordinary Joe is a cancelled prototype for a new survival horror game, that was in early development for Xbox 360 at Rare LTD, designed by Chris Seavor.

Arc Angel

Arc Angel is a cancelled futuristic racing game prototype that was in development in 2003 for the Xbox, by a team lead by Chris Seavor at Rare LTD.

Perfect Dark Core

Rare’s management decided to hand the PD franchise to the developers of Conker, a team led by Chris Seavor. Perfect Dark Core featured a more realistic atmosphere than its precedessors, with Joanna having a different and less feminine behaviour (smoking, flirting).

Kameo 2

“Kameo 2″, successor of Kameo: Elements of Power, is a cancelled Xbox 360 title which was in development at British studio Rare Ltd.. Although it was never officially announced, some Kameo 2 animations appeared in a reel of a former Rare employee, as noticed by some Kameo-fans at the neoGaf Forum.

Cascade

Cascade was an unreleased fantasy Massive Multiplater Online game in production at British software house Rare Ltd. The project started after Perfect Dark Zero by Mark Edmonds and Chris Tilston, it built upon early work from a post-Perfect Dark 64 prototype titled Quest.

Banjo-Karting

Banjo-Karting was a game prototype for Xbox 360, started by Rare Ltd. just before Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts was finished in late 2008. The prototype took advantage of classic Banjo-Kazooie characters and built upon the racing parts of Nuts and Bolts.

Urchin

Urchin was an adventure fantasy / horror game that was in development at Rare Ltd. for Xbox 360. A few pieces of concept art were revealed by Rare artist Ryan Firchau at the “Nordic Game Conference”, held in Malmö in Sweden in May 2008. While details are scarce, it is known that Urchin was in development by the team that was responsible for Conker: Live and Reloaded.

Sabreman Stampede

Developed by a team of which many worked on Starfox Adventures or Jet Force Gemini, Sabreman Stampede had evolved from a racer into a full adventure.

SoulCatcher

SoulCatcher is a cancelled game that was in development by Rare LTD for the Xbox 360. The project was meant to be a prototype for a fantasy action adventure game in first person view, that used the Xbox Vision Camera and a customized proto-wand for motion-controls to attack and do magics.

Banjo-Kazoomie

Banjo-Kazoomie was a prototype for the original Xbox which was started at Rare Ltd. in 2004. Players were able to construct their karts out of different parts, therefore after it was cancelled the concept may have evolved into Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, which was released on Xbox 360 four years later.

Savannah

Savannah was one of various prototypes in development at Rare Ltd. during 2006/2007. As the project remained in prototype stage and was not greenlit, only few elements were set in stone, but it could have been some sort of nature simulator, more than a realistic Viva Pinata.

The Fast and the Furriest

The Fast & the Furriest is a cancelled party game that was in development in 2006 by Rare for the Xbox 360 Xbox Live Arcade digital service. Other than the normal joypad, the game could have been played with the Xbox Live Vision camera, to track players’ movements in a similar way to the PS2 EYE Toy or Microsoft’s own Kinect. The Fast & the Furriest would have included many different mini-games, as 100 meter dash, bungee run, hurdles and tip-tup curling.

Quest

Quest was a cancelled Massive Multiplayer Online (MMO) game that was in development at Rare Ltd.

Above are the most document cancelled games. Through former employees twitter accounts and interviews we also now about a few games that are just known by their initials:

BR
BW - was realistic (at least futuristic realistic)
K2
CD2 - most likely Crackdown 2
SD
SU

So that is almost 20 canned games that we publically know about.

That would have been AWESOME!:joyful:Where did you get that information?
It shown up in an Ex-Rare employee's portfolio.

http://wiloverton.carbonmade.com/

Last edited:

ChocolatePancake

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChocolateWaffles
3DS FC
0920-1214-6221
Unless Microsoft does a crossover fight game similar to Smash Bros. or Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale, I think Microsoft's only solution is to put Banjo & Kazooie into Smash. However, I would love to see an Xbox crossover fighting game. Maybe it would be called Xbox Fantasy Fighters!

Unless Microsoft does a crossover fight game similar to Smash Bros. or Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale, I think Microsoft's only solution is to put Banjo & Kazooie into Smash. However, I would love to see an Xbox crossover fighting game. Maybe it would be called Xbox Fantasy Fighters!
My dream roster is: Banjo & Kazooie, Master Chief, Marcus Phoenix, Joanna Dark, Conker, Steve (a.k.a. Mr. Minecraft), 'Splosion Man, Fulgore, Cooper, and Connor Kenway.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
As much as I understand that this is wishful thinking at it's best at this point, I'm already hyped enough for Megaman, he's the first newcomer I want to practice with but if out of some bizarre miracle, Sakurai manages to get Banjo & Kazooie in the game, I will immediately abandon Megaman but I know it won't happen, even if Rare came back to Nintendo now it wouldn't change anything cause I'm sure Sakurai already finalized the roster even before the E3 trailer and at that point Rare and Double Helix were working on Killer Instinct so unless Sakurai is willing to do what he did for Brawl which was to delay it to add a few extra characters or something I don't think we'd see any Rare character even if the company came back to Nintendo.

However I would be equally happy with a new Banjo Kazooie for Wii-U.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Nintendo did not want kids discovering Conker after what Rare did to him. Why would they allow him to star alongside some of their most child friendly characters?
:snake:

If Rare had never been sold to M$, I would have expected us to have Banjo, Mumbo, Grunty, Conker, and one or two of their other characters by now.

Ragna22

Smash Ace

If Rare had never been sold to M$, I would have expected us to have Banjo, Mumbo, Grunty, Conker, and one or two of their other characters by now.
I'd also like to point out that Conker was in Diddy Kong Racing and Rare had no problem making Bad Fur Day immediately after resulting in children at the time (Including myself) to get Conker's Bad Fur Day simply because they recognized Conker from the KA rated Disdy Kong Racing.

Sponge

Smash Journeyman

Snake is no argument. Metal Gear Solid is an M rated game yes, but you can tone down Snake by taking away his guns and still have him work for Smash Brothers. Conker drinks and pisses in his game, those are actual abilities. I agree with you that Banjo, Mumbo and Grunty would have had a chance, but Nintendo was not keen on Conker and would have been ignored for Smash Brothers.

I'd also like to point out that Conker was in Diddy Kong Racing and Rare had no problem making Bad Fur Day immediately after resulting in children at the time (Including myself) to get Conker's Bad Fur Day simply because they recognized Conker from the KA rated Disdy Kong Racing.
I feel like have to point this out again, Diddy Kong Racing and Pocket Tales went out of print when Bad Fur Day happened. Nintendo did not want kids discovering Conker. Bad Fur Day was never the plan from the start. When Conker was in DKR, Nintendo thought we were still getting Twelve Tales.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Snake is no argument. Metal Gear Solid is an M rated game yes, but you can tone down Snake by taking away his guns and still have him work for Smash Brothers. Conker drinks and pisses in his game, those are actual abilities. I agree with you that Banjo, Mumbo and Grunty would have had a chance, but Nintendo was not keen on Conker and would have been ignored for Smash Brthers.
Have you actually played Conker, or just watched videos of it? The pissing isn't like his signature move or anything. Snake doesn't use guns in Smash yes, but they can tone Conker down just fine as well. His main weapon is a frying pan, he can use a slingshot, has the spinning tail thing, among countless other abilities.

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
Have you actually played Conker, or just watched videos of it? The pissing isn't like his signature move or anything. Snake doesn't use guns in Smash yes, but they can tone Conker down just fine as well. His main weapon is a frying pan, he can use a slingshot, has the spinning tail thing, among countless other abilities.
They could take out all of that out but I seriously don't think Nintendo would want to advertise Conker alongside characters like Mario and Pikachu. Nintendo of Europe threw a hissy fit and wouldn't even publish the game, THQ had to do it. Never say never but if you ask me, I seriously don't think Nintendo would have wanted to.

Last edited:

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I feel like have to point this out again, Diddy Kong Racing and Pocket Tales went out of print when Bad Fur Day happened. Nintendo did not want kids discovering Conker. Bad Fur Day was never the plan from the start. When Conker was in DKR, Nintendo thought we were still getting Twelve Tales.
Oh right I didn't think about that, boy did that do a number on some childhoods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom