• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rant on those against Brawl hacking.

Geist

Smash Master
Seriously, the hundreds of people screaming "leave brawl alone" are so annoying.
First of all, no one is forcing them to do anything. If they don't want to play Brawl+ they don't have to play. I can't seem to find any reason why anyone would refuse to play a game competitively that has been modded to be more competitive though...
Even if they just want to play the original Brawl, odds are that Brawl+ isn't going to overtake 100% of the Brawl competitive scene. So, really, they're still free to play whatever they want >_>

Also, the people arguing: "Just play melee if you want melee 2.0"...
Maybe.
The purpose of hacking Brawl is to make it feel more competitive. Therefore, the best way to make it more competitive is to model it from the past competitive smash games. Out of the 3 games, Brawl is the odd one out. It was the only one that was developed purposely to NOT be competitive in any way. But it is still a smash game. The people modding Brawl aren't going to make it like street fighter.
In a sense, they are trying to make it more like melee, but not in a way that they're trying to make Brawl obsolete.

Umby

Smash Master
The purpose of hacking Brawl is to make it feel more competitive. Therefore, the best way to make it more competitive is to model it from the past competitive smash games. .
I think I addressed this. That's not necessarily the case. Even if you did take elements from Melee and added it to Brawl, it's possible that the blend of elements from both games could make the game worse off (though I won't rule out that it could be "better" as well). I personally can't imagine Snake having a better aerial game due to L-Canceling.

Zodiac

Smash Master
This rant kicks ***, All I have to say is hell ****ing yes

B.W.

Smash Champion
People who were terrible at melee/jealous/their friends beat them all the time - Play brawl and die supporting it because it gives them an honest chance to win against smash vets/better players when all semblance of skill/speed/finesse go out the window. Now they see Brawl+ : An interesting take on two very competitive games (Fine, I'll come out and say it, it's pretty much melee 2.0 deal with it) and they think "Oh no! I couldn't shffl in melee and now I won't be the best in X small town when Brawl+ gains recognition!" Ultimately, this results hostility towards new ideas and bitter memories of that brutal 3-stocking they got at some melee tournament.
Nailed it. Though, I didn't leave this in as a quote.. There is a lot of hostility in the Brawl scene. I blame Wi-Fi.

When it was only Melee, the smashers were the nicest competitive gamers you'd ever meet because we were forced to get together. The only way to meet and play new people was to invite strangers to your house to enjoy a little Smash. Yes there were ***** and **** talkers, but very few people would be like "quit this game you suck lol." And there were never people getting into stupid arguments about skill.

That's another thing I feel that Brawl ruined with its ****ty Wi-Fi. I think I'm one of few people that was actually hoping Brawl wouldn't have online play for this reason.

The people modding Brawl aren't going to make it like street fighter. .
There's actually an idea that's been presented that borrows a sort of Guilty Gear system. Of course we can't copy it exactly, but it is an idea, though it's more of an "if all else fails we'll try this" kind of thing.

Geist

Smash Master
There's actually an idea that's been presented that borrows a sort of Guilty Gear system. Of course we can't copy it exactly, but it is an idea, though it's more of an "if all else fails we'll try this" kind of thing.
Guilty gear relies heavily on walls though >_>
That would be funny if brawl morphs drastically like that. If it was as ballanced as guilty gear though, then that would be great.
Guilty gear is awesome.

What I was implying though, is that there will still be the common elements that are associated with all 3 games. For example, I presume that there will still be DI, there won't be combos with specific button combinations, etc.

Redson

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone here play Half Life 2? If so, you are most likely familiar with the huge modding community it has built up. People have made Half Life 2 Capture the flag, Half Life 2 Fortress Forever, etc. How is the Brawl+ Hack any different from how people mod Half Life 2, or Halo, or any of those?

The thing is, it isn't. It's no different at all, and yet people complain about Brawl getting modded like its some big deal. And it's not even that BIG of a mod, either. I've seen things that completely alter the storyline of Half Life 2. A bit of gameplay changes to Brawl shouldn't hurt. >:\

Top Bottom