• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Radford's Radically Rad Melee Monthlies: Oct 2nd. You Can Has Livestream.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
LIVESTREAM!
http://www.justin.tv/c/redd91

DATE AND LOCATION

Date
October 2nd

Jefferson St.
Radford, VA, 24141

Bolling Hall basement
*SEE PARKING INFORMATION BELOW*

This room is PERFECT for holding tournaments. For several reasons
  • This room is large enough to hold 50+ people comfortably and is well air-conditioned
  • there are 8 easily accessed and spaced-out outlet locations in the room, each far enough apart to allow ample breathing/spectating room
  • There are plenty of tables for setups (and a tv cabinet with a good-sized tv already provided) and several chairs plus two couches for us to sit on.
  • Theres even a working water fountain if you don't want to buy drinks. seriously. Bring your refillable water bottle(s) if you have them.
  • Lastly, no venue fee guys. This place is free to access.

PLEASE use this map of the campus for reference if you are unfamiliar with the area: http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/2022/radfordtourneymap.jpg
you should notice that I have childishly marked where the tournament is being held, where to park, and locations of food.
To give you a better idea of what to look for as far as the parking lot goes, there is actually a lot of newly put-up fencing around that area . . . so look for that.

EDIT: PARKING INFORMATION FOR THIS EVENT!
It will be Parents weekend/The Highlander Festival the weekend of this event, so park at the food lion just off campus. The address for them is:

Food Lion: Store No. 399
1024 Tyler Ave
Radford, VA 24141

We will then have one of our awesome locals pick you up. It is literally a 1-2 minute drive. In a way this solves the possible problem of people getting lost trying to find the building/ turn off, as the food lion is pretty obvious in its location. This way everyone will be led comfortably to the venue without confusion.

If you have any questions about this system LET ME KNOW via post or pm. This will not ruin the event and is actually a simple procedure.

CONTACT INFORMATION

Face (me): 1-540-577-3370
NOTE: YOU WILL HAVE TO CALL ME OR SOMEONE ELSE IN THE BUILDING TO GET IN This is a dorm with key-card access so you will have to be let into the building. While this may seem like a hassle at first, once most people have arrived this won't be much of a problem as literally anyone can open the doors from the inside.

EVENTS

Melee Doubles and Singles

Entry Fee: $5 per person ($10 per team)

Prize payouts

Events with 15 entrants or less
1. 60%
2. 30%
3. 10%

Events with 16 entrants or more
1. 50%
2. 25%
3. 15%
4. 10%

RULES
We will be using The MBR suggested ruleset, which can be found here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=257229
I am however open to suggestions as far as the rules go. If you have any ideas regarding the rules, please present them in this thread before the day of the tournament.

SCHEDULE

9 AM: arrivals allowed.

11 AM-12 PM: Doubles registration

12:15 PM: Doubles starts

3 PM: Doubles should be done

*break for food*

4 PM - 5PM singles registration

5:15PM-8PMish: singles until it finishes

After that: friendlies and Money Matches for hoouuurrrrs. You guys won't get kicked out until a little before 2AM.

The schedule will adjust as time permits, and I am also open to suggestions for changes in this area. Just let me know.

SETUPS
BRING THEM

There is no monetary discount for doing so (no venue fee after all) but I guarantee we have the space unless you are bringing a dump-truck full of cubes and tvs.
The bonuses to bringing a setup should be obvious. The tournament goes smoothly and is finished on time, plus you get tons of them wonderful friendlies.

CONFIRMED SETUPS
1. Face (cube and tv)
2-3. UsurperKingZant (full HDTV and CRT setups)
4. MinQ (Wii for basment tv)
5. Mahone (full setup)
6. Foxlisk (full setup)
7-8. DJ Rome (2 full setups) [if he comes]
9. Duhrdy (full setup if needed)

CONFIRMED ATTENDEES
1. Face
2. Redd
3. Mahone
4. Foxlisk
5. UsurperKingZant
6. MinQ
7. KP
8. Duhrdy
9. Met
10-11. TrueDarkness and his girl
12. Sneak
13. Diatenshi
14. DJ Rome
15. Shepp
16. Nip
17. Bacon
18. Shaeman
19. Lunchbox
20. Poehlcat
21. Math
22. Cyrain
23. The Fear
24. Trey?
25. Danny?
26. Nelo?
27. Jxorz
28. Everlasting Yay
29. Mariabattleaxe
30. DOP
Lets make this awesome guys.

Mahone

Smash Champion
This. Is. Win.

Lets make sure the first one of these is a huge success, I'm gonna try my hardest to get richmond, NC, and Nova to come!!!

Mariabattleaxe

Smash Ace
I will be trying my hardest to come. I just have to ask Yay if he wants to go and see about work :)
I would love to support you guys since you came out to support me. I will keep you guys posted.

We would probably need housing for like that night and maybe the night before, but chances are we will probably only be 2 people so that will make things easier to find housing too.

Hope this tournament goes well :)

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
awesome!!

I can probably house a couple people. I'd have to ask my roommate to make sure, but if anyone needs housing let me know and i'll check.

Are there any HDTV's there? I have Wii VGA cables which cut out like 3/4 of the input lag compared to composite cables. Might be useful for friendlies.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
Are there any HDTV's there? I have Wii VGA cables which cut out like 3/4 of the input lag compared to composite cables. Might be useful for friendlies.
Unless there's only maybe 2ms lag at the max, people (myself included) won't play on it. I know the component cables I use on my 720p tv cut out the lag to definitely <1ms.

Unless there's only maybe 2ms lag at the max, people (myself included) won't play on it. I know the component cables I use on my 720p tv cut out the lag to definitely <1ms.
VGA cables are better compared to component cables. HDTVs don't post process the VGA signal which means there's less processing time. And really, 2ms? That's barely a 1/9 of a frame.

The only downside with VGA cables by the way is you'll need a separate sound system to play audio. The cables have audio outputs, it's just that no HDTVs/monitors have audio inputs that are on the same channel as VGA cables.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
There are no HDTVs here unless you plan on bringing one yourself. However, I'm sure most people would prefer a small CRT to an HDTV for this game at a tournament.

I am loving all of the out of town/state interest for this! I hope as many of you awesome people as possible can make it here. I will work as hard as I can to make this event worth the trip.

LOCAL PEOPLES: If the out of town/state people request housing and you could possible house someone, PLEASE let them know ASAP. We all know how important that can be for planning, especially since the tourney date is already so close.

I am going to edit the first post and add confirmed setups and attendees lists. Please let me know once you have confirmed that you are coming, and if you'll have a setup.

I'm guaranteed to go and I can bring;
1 Wii
1 HDTV (for friendlies only. Foxes/Falcos don't have to play on it)
1 GameCube
1 CRT

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
Sweet dude, I'll add that in.

I'd like to mention that we do need at least one just cube/wii and game setup for the tv already provided downstairs. I'm sure someone could easily provide that.

Mahone

Smash Champion
I will be trying my hardest to come. I just have to ask Yay if he wants to go and see about work :)
I would love to support you guys since you came out to support me. I will keep you guys posted.

We would probably need housing for like that night and maybe the night before, but chances are we will probably only be 2 people so that will make things easier to find housing too.

Hope this tournament goes well :)
I will probably be able to house as well, if foxlisk can't.

A bit soon, but we'll see...
It's never too soon, we never got to play our mm on green greens, and i really wanted to play your falco after seeing those videos, i would be really happy if you could make it :)

I'd love to come to this. I'll try to convince Richmond.
Ya, please come and try to get richmond, if it helps, tell tope and cyrain that I'll definitely mm match them both if they come.

VGA cables are better compared to component cables. HDTVs don't post process the VGA signal which means there's less processing time. And really, 2ms? That's barely a 1/9 of a frame.

The only downside with VGA cables by the way is you'll need a separate sound system to play audio. The cables have audio outputs, it's just that no HDTVs/monitors have audio inputs that are on the same channel as VGA cables.
I honesty think we will have enough crt setups, but thanks for trying to help, i think it would be simpler if we just used crts, because even if you reduce the lag, people who don't understand tv's very well would blame the tv for losing and argue and stuff.

Edit: I have 1 TV, 1 Cube, 1 melee (full setup)

I honesty think we will have enough crt setups, but thanks for trying to help, i think it would be simpler if we just used crts, because even if you reduce the lag, people who don't understand tv's very well would blame the tv for losing and argue and stuff.
I honestly think we have enough CRT setups for the tournament and having an extra (near lagless) tv for friendlies only is good enough. It's a simple idea and no one would argue over a friendly.

I've tested it, and there's close to zero lag. It's good enough for friendlies.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
i'll bring a full setup mos' def.

we gotta get nova and sova to come to this. we're gonna get KP (who never posts) to talk his sova friends into coming out.

also: chillin, if you namesearch, i'll MM you if you come. get your *** down here, i havent seen you in a minute.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
Holy ****, so many setups already! Keep in mind that we'll need power strips for these as well. I'll be providing two of those.

Okay guys, I just got some bad news. It turns out October 2nd is Parents Weekend aka The " Highlander Festival". This basically means that the campus will be packed and it'd be hell to find a place to park.

In light of this, I'm thinking this should be pushed back one week to October 9th.

Mahone

Smash Champion
naw face, keep it the 2nd, we will just have like one car, and pick people up from some krogers parking lot or something like we did last time, it wasn't a big deal at all

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
naw face, keep it the 2nd, we will just have like one car, and pick people up from some krogers parking lot or something like we did last time, it wasn't a big deal at all
GREAT IDEA MAHONE! we'll have them park at the food lion on tyler st. (which is actually on the way if you're taking 81, which all of NC would be.) This will work. I'll edit the first post with the new information.

Edit: first post has new the parking information. This might actually be better in some ways.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
yeah i'm (hopefully) going to be busy both the 9th and the 23rd. keep it the 2nd plz

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord

Component cables deliver higher quality image with less pins and less channels. Any sort of post-processing you should be able to disable, unless you have a super ****ty TV. Not every HDTV does nonstandard post-processing, and most of the ones that do only attempt to soften the image.

IDK where Redd got his numbers, maybe he has his terminology screwed up. Any lag or variance less than 8⅓ milliseconds is literally imperceivable due to the game's framerate.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
Component cables deliver higher quality image with less pins and less channels. Any sort of post-processing you should be able to disable, unless you have a super ****ty TV. Not every HDTV does nonstandard post-processing, and most of the ones that do only attempt to soften the image.

IDK where Redd got his numbers, maybe he has his terminology screwed up. Anything lag or variance less than 8⅓ milliseconds is literally imperceivable due to the game's framerate.
I did actually, I was thinking about computer monitors. T_T

krnred225

Smash Journeyman
Response time, measured in milliseconds, is the amount of time a pixel on an LCD monitor takes to go from black to white and back to black again. It has nothing to do with input lag. :)

Mahone

Smash Champion

IDK where Redd got his numbers, maybe he has his terminology screwed up. Anything lag or variance less than 8⅓ milliseconds is literally imperceivable due to the game's framerate.
Response time, measured in milliseconds, is the amount of time a pixel on an LCD monitor takes to go from black to white and back to black again. It has nothing to do with input lag. :)

rhan

Smash Hero
I work every weekend in Oct... I would love to attend but I can't take off..

I'll be sure to spread the word though. :)

Top Bottom