• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R Rating delayed again

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The Standing Committee of Attorneys-Generals were meant to meet this month to discuss, amongst other topics, the issue of video game classification in Australia. Thanks to the upcoming Federal Election, that meeting has been cancelled.

The cancellation is a blow to those hoping for a swift resolution to the proposal of introducing an R18+ rating for video games.

After a period of public consultation on the R18+ issue, which saw an unprecedented number of submissions from the Australian people, SCAG met in May to acknowledge the submissions and debate the topic.

However, the only public statement to emerge from the meeting read:

“Ministers agreed to discuss whether to amend the National Classification Scheme to introduce an R 18+ classification for computer games at a future meeting. Ministers have requested further analysis of community and expert views.”

Since May we’ve heard from Liberal leader Tony Abbott that our classification system is “broken” and from former Queensland Premier Peter Beattie that most of SCAG is pro R18+.

After the cancellation of the planned July get-together, that “future meeting” will now take place in Canberra on November 4-5.
I supose a psotponement is better than simply dropping it.

Sirias

Smash Champion
I cbf reading/knowing about this, but the R rating is just... rating games R, right, and that's it?
Nothing else?

Pete278

Smash Lord
I'm still not too sure I understand the point of an R rating. It would seem to me that some things are just being too harshly judged that's the problem.

Zero

Smash Hero
Because apparently, the difference of three years makes all the difference when it comes to blood, gore and boobs.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
What's the point of that?
So that they can still sell their product and earn money.

I'm still not too sure I understand the point of an R rating. It would seem to me that some things are just being too harshly judged that's the problem.
Honestly, I think most things have been rated fine*, just that the problem is where they go 'This game should be R' whoops, we don't have an R rating.

*exceptions such as banning Mark Geckos Getting up (game based around spray painting the gameworld) would encourage graffiti, but then they go and let a DVD which is literally an instruction manual on how to tag around your city gets let in :/

Dekar289

Smash Hero
most things have been rated fine? they **** up all the time
slowmo gory head explosions in fallout is fine but the use of morphine means banned

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I said most, not all. The things like that don't happen that much.

Pete278

Smash Lord
Ironically, the Fallout 3 thing worked out in everyone's favour: morphine doesn't exist in the Fallout universe, and the 'ban' forced them to remain true to the canon.

Top Bottom