• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. Moveset Analysis and Speculation Thread (Updated: Feb/16/2015)

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I personally think he got nerfed. I can go into more details later. I'm at work right now. Got to play him yesterday and was sad with how he felt after investing 6 yrs to traveling and competing with him in brawl

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I think it's a little early to make a that claim. A lot of characters seem bad when you play them with their old play style.
For example - It's hard to kill with mario if you play him like Brawl/Pm. His upsmash is his best kill move, from what I've played.

Last edited:

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I base most of it off of lack of mobility. He has no ability to gyro cancel which limits him from b-rev gyro canceling for landing mix-ups. along with lack of up-b mobility. I really think it will hurt him.

I love that they improved a lot of moves. That's awesome. But at the end of the day, I really think his weakened aerial mobility mix ups will hurt him. I can still b-rev, but I can mix it up with multiples of them. PM rob lacks this too. He can gyro cancel, but it is delayed and leads to slower mix ups.

I want ROB to be good. And I plan to invest a lot of time into him still trying to make him as such. I just don't see it for now and don't expect to yet.

Last edited:

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
Custom moves... From the gameplay I watched, I know two of them. ROB has an gyro that has some sort of fire aspect. ROB also has a Diddy-Kong like move where he uses a small explosion to propel himself upwards. I think I called that one. There are some differences with this move, It does not seem to have charging time, just let loose and fire your thrusters.

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
In the source video that I posted earlier, There was a crazy burner combo too.
EDIT: What are the percents on ROBs dash-attack and up-air?

Last edited:

Chauzu

Smash Ace
Doesn't seem like anyone even has pics of ROBs custom moves yet so I'll try and get a vid up. Today if I get lucky, otherwise tomorrow.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
The ending was the best part

Yes from here on out R.O.B has immunity of being kicked due to not having the same problems as the ice climbers, and that R.O.B is a historical figure of nintendo and rescued video games and finally he made it in twice once they are in twice they stay for the series (excluding ice climber besides by only just they failed to make it in.)
The ice climbers were cut cue to technical limitations of then3ds. So it looks like Rob is in. Unless, of course, HD Rob climbers & watch is too big for the Wii E to handle in 2021.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Yes from here on out R.O.B has immunity of being kicked due to not having the same problems as the ice climbers, and that R.O.B is a historical figure of nintendo and rescued video games and finally he made it in twice once they are in twice they stay for the series (excluding ice climber besides by only just they failed to make it in.)
You don't need to worry about ROB being kicked for the next 6-7 years now. :p

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
You don't need to worry about ROB being kicked for the next 6-7 years now. :p
I would think the title "Official Smash Competitor" would be reason enough to think ROB will last to the end of the series.

Source: Where was that picture on the old thread, the screenshot from Tomadachi life, with the above (partially) quoted statement. It was on page six. Someone please post the original picture.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
This thread needs to live, yo.

I'm having problems with the ROB v Sheik matchup. It usually ends up at our lst stocks with us both at 100%+, and then he surprises me with a bouncing fish and kills me. How can I effectively punish bouncing fish? I've been thinking a roll>down B oos to punish.

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
Looked up the move and looked at a couple of videos. Seems to come out fairly instant, but If you can tell when your opponent will use it, then it should be easy to punish(It has fairly high landing lag). I'm going to have to do some more research(Perhaps firsthand) in order to find the perfect punish for it.

On that note perhaps rolling through it and punishing it with a side smash or arm rotor will work. Going to have to try it when I get a chance.

GameQ

Smash Cadet
If you are in the position to use custom moves, I highly recommend the UpB-3 "High-Speed Burner" (Edit: UpB 2 "Robo Rocket" [thanks adom4])...

... IT"S A SPIKE!

Seriously, its the easiest spike to land, the opponent need to be anywhere within a normal single jump height above you and you spike them!

It's also great to finish off up air / up smash juggles. I got a nice KO where I combo'd a dash attack -> Up Smash ->Up B -> Up Air. It's a great offensive tool to add to ROB's kit.

Last edited:

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
If you are in the position to use custom moves, I highly recommend the UpB-3 "High-Speed Burner"...

... IT"S A SPIKE!

Seriously, its the easiest spike to land, the opponent need to be anywhere within a normal single jump height above you and you spike them!

It's also great to finish off up air / up smash juggles. I got a nice KO where I combo'd a dash attack -> Up Smash ->Up B -> Up Air. It's a great offensive tool to add to ROB's kit.
I think you mean the robo rocket, his 2nd up-B.
High speed is the one with better horizontal movement but with less fuel.

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
A few days ago, @dettadeus found out that you could Gyro-cancel. It is very difficult to use, mostly due to it being a one-frame input. Ill link to his video:

I probably won't be able to employ it in combat for a while, I think my reflexes are barely too slow. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Top Bottom