• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. Moveset Analysis and Speculation Thread (Updated: Feb/16/2015)

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
Welcome! In this thread we will be discussing any information pertaining to ROBs moveset.

ROBs Moveset:

Basic Attacks
(Neutral A):GCA:: ROB throws two punches. Deals 3% in each hit adding to a grand total of 6% if both hit.

(Down A):GCCD::GCA:: ROB jabs with both arms by his base, as if trying to trip the opponent, sometimes he succeeds. Deals 5%.

(Up A):GCCU::GCA:: ROB thrusts both arms upward as a strike. Visually the same as in Brawl. Deals 5% at close range, and 3% at far range, hitting above him.

(Side A):GCCR::GCA::ROB throws a strong punch in front of him. Deals 6% close, and 8% far.

Dash Attack: ROB clobbers the opponent with all his weight and momentum for 7%.

Smash Attacks

(Side A):GCCR::GCA:: ROB crouches while charging a short range laser before firing it. His head spins around and his eyes glow pink during the charging process and ROB can fire it at any point during charging to deal 15% at close range(21 fully charged), 11% mid-range(16 fully charged), or 6% far-range(8 fully charged).

(Down A):GCCD::GCA:: ROB sweeps his arms low. Similar to Brawl, but faster and appears to be higher up. Moderately powerful, hits multiple times, can KO at higher percents. Deals with each consecutive hit: 1%, 2%, 2%, 5% (13% total, 18 fully charged). The last hit launches the opponent horizontally making it a good choice for juggling people off-stage.

(Up A):GCCU::GCA:: ROB does a handstand and releases a powerful burst from his thrusters. Can KO easily uncharged. Hits twice, for 3%, 14% (17 total; 4%, 19% for 23% fully charged). The first hit nudges the opponent up into the massive explosion coming from ROBs thrusters, which deal equally massive knockback.
The range on this move is very large for a physical attack. On Luigi's Mansion, the middle lower platform is about 2.5 ROB heads above ROB. ROB can still hit, even at that range.

Aerials
(Down):GCCD:Air: ROB blasts his thrusters beneath him. Can meteor smash more easily than in Brawl since it is faster. Deals 11% far, and 12% close.

Neutral air: ROB fires his thrusters, spinning in a circle. Visually the same as In brawl, deals 8%.

(Forward):GCCR:Air: ROB sweeps both arms over his head in front of him. This is not a spike. Deals 7%.

(Back):GCCL:Air: ROB blasts his thrusters behind him. Can give him some momentum. Visually the same as in Brawl. Deals 12% close up, 10 mid-range, and 6 at the edge of the hitbox.

(Up):GCCU:Air: ROB spins his arms upwards multiple times in the air. Good finisher, has major knockback for an aerial, dealing 1%,1%,1%,1%4%(up to 10%) in the process.

Throws

(Forward):GCCR:Throw: ROB thrusts his opponent away from him, much like launching his gyro. Deals 8%

(Back):GCCL:Throw: ROB whips his opponent behind him seemingly effortlessly. Deals 10%

(Up):GCCU:Throw: ROB lifts his opponent up in the air, turns him upside-down, and slams his opponent's head in the ground. This is ROB's best kill throw. Deals 12%
(Down):GCCD:Throw: ROB turns his opponent upside down, and drives him into the ground. Think robotic piledriver. Deals 10%

Specials
(Neutral B):GCB::
Main: Robo Beam. ROB fires an amiable laser. This laser charges overtime and is shown on the diode on ROBs head. Has shorter range than in brawl, and when fully charged the beam is wider with more knockback, giving it killing power at high percents. It does not lose it's transcendent properties when fully charged, when uncharged it deals 11% point-blank 7% close, and 4% mid/long range. When fully charged, deals 17% point-blank, 11 close, and 10% mid/long range.

Alt 1: Wide-Angle Beam. ROB fires an amiable laser, which can be aimed sharply due to more startup lag. The laser deals 10% point-blank, and 3% mid/far range. charged deals 15% up close and 8% far away.

Alt 2: Infinite Robo Beam. ROB fires an amiable laser, which does not need to charge. The tradeoff is that It takes longer to fully charge. Deals 14% point-blank, 3% mid-range, and 2% long-range. When charged, deals 14% point-blank, and 10% mid/far range.

(Down B):GCCD::GCB::
Main: Gyro. ROB charges a gyro. On second tap (While charging or fully charged) ROB fires it. Visually the same as in Brawl, however The gyro charges fully after 10% of the process, and any more charging adds more distance. If a gyro is already out, ROB has a confused animation when trying to fire another one. Deals 8%, 9%, or 10% depending on how much you charged it. When thrown, deals 10%, or 11% when smash-thrown

Alt 1: Fire Gyro. ROB fires a gyro lit on fire. Deals more damage, but has shorter range and less time before it expires on the battlefield. Deals 9%, 11%, or 12% depending on how much you charged it. When thrown, deals 10%, or 12% when smash-thrown.

Alt 2: Slip Gyro. ROB fires a gyro covered in a thin layer of grease. Seems to have the effect of sliding around whilst tripping any opponents unlucky enough to be caught in it's path. 3% when shot and slides right through opponent(causes tripping), 6% midair hit from being fired. When thrown, deals 7%, or 9% when smash-thrown. Charging does not affect the damage it gives.

(Side B):GCCR::GCB::
Main: Arm Rotor. ROB whirls his arms around with the option of continuously lurching in any direction while being used. This allows for some momentum-shifting mix-ups and can make for an unexpected approach. Ends with a finisher that can KO. Deals 1%, 1%, 1%, 1%, 1%, 1%, 1%, 1%, 1%, 3% (12%, up to 16% if you keep pressing b).

Alt 1: Reflector Arm. ROB whirls his arms around for a little less time, acting more like a reflector. The move acts more like Brawl in that it does not suck opponent's in, instead flinging them out, making it much more difficult to land a weaker version of the finisher on the end. The interesting aspect of this move, however, is that ROB hovers in the air. This may give the move utility. Deals 2%, 4%(It is tricky to test, as it forces the opponent away)

Alt 2: Backward Arm Rotor. ROB Simply the finisher on ROBs regular arm rotor by itself, his robotic uppercut. Deals 2%, 4%
(Up B):GCCU::GCB::
Main: Robo Burner. ROB raises his arms and flies with his thrusters. Has limited fuel, but recharges when ROB lands. Aside from the visual change (Superhero pose FTW), acts like in Brawl, except that the horizontal momentum of this move has been nerfed severely.

Alt 1: Robo Rocket. ROB raises his arms and blasts off with a burst of his thrusters. Instant, no need to refuel, and is a powerful spike. Deals 5%

Alt 2: High-Speed Burner. Same as ROBs main move, except with much more speed, giving him better (even exceptional) horizontal recovery. Has much less fuel as well.

(Last updated: 2/16/2015, fixed some minor discrepancies.)
Please note that this information is not completely accurate. Yet. Thanks to @T0MMY most of the percents.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
ROB has a new D-tilt laser attack that appears to be a potential KO move. Also F-tilt range got nerfed noticeably (he no longer extends his arm as he leans forward to hit you). F-air appears to have a wider hitbox vertically. Other than that, I can't tell what else is different about ROB.

MBakhsh

Smash Apprentice
Any info on his Side-B? I was hoping for a Stack-Up move, possibly a charge-type move where he stacks blocks and then tips whatever he's stacked over.
Of course, with all the reused and recycled assets from Brawl I doubt it's different. But the question is is Arm Rotor no longer almost completely useless?

Last edited:

(1UP)

Smash Apprentice
b-air better hit as hard as it looks, since it got noticeably slowed down. it looks like he can literally run people over with it now with the crazy momentum it gives him.

hopefully we're able to perform momentum shifts with the variety seen in brawl. if not we might be in trouble, i know i didn't see any

Last edited:

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
R.O.B's side-B now has a strong punch at the end.

Mamp

Smash Apprentice
My impressions from gameplay I've seen so far:

• Side-B comes out faster and finishes with a punch
  • he has a move where he leans down and shoots a small laser along the floor, i'm not sure if its f-smash or d-tilt but it's quick and has pretty good range and power
  • b-air is slower but gives him more forward momentum
  • f-air is faster and has more range
  • gyro charges quicker
  • laser has a new animation. it's much wider and faster now
  • d-air looks a little bit faster
  • up-smash has crazy range
  • f-tilt has less range and is a bit slower
  • up-tilt still chains into itself
  • he can still only have one gyro out at a time
  • his movement seems a lot quicker all around, both in the air and on the ground
  • new final smash is badass
it seems to me like ROB really got buffed in this game, he seems a lot faster and has better range all around

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
  • he has a move where he leans down and shoots a small laser along the floor, i'm not sure if its f-smash or d-tilt but it's quick and has pretty good range and power
That's his F-Smash, his D-Tilt is the same from Brawl (Looked a bit faster though)

Last edited:

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
My impressions from gameplay I've seen so far:

• Side-B comes out faster and finishes with a punch
  • b-air is slower but gives him more forward momentum
  • f-air is faster and has more range
  • gyro charges quicker
  • laser has a new animation. it's much wider and faster now
  • d-air looks a little bit faster
  • up-smash has crazy range
  • f-tilt has less range and is a bit slower
  • up-tilt still chains into itself
  • he can still only have one gyro out at a time
  • his movement seems a lot quicker all around, both in the air and on the ground
  • new final smash is badass
it seems to me like ROB really got buffed in this game, he seems a lot faster and has better range all around
You say the :GCB:(b)air gives him more momentum? Cool, hope it helps his (already OP) recovery. I'm wondering, other than the superhero animation for his :GCU::GCB:(up b), have you noticed anything different about it? It seems faster, but It could have been nerfed.

Remember, that ROB has custom moves like the other characters. Let the speculation begin!

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
In the gameplay videos that were posted to reddit I noticed something. If ROB tries to load a top if the top is already out, he has a confused animation. In the video it was only in the air so I don't know how much lag it really is.

And am I wrong, or does it look like the rob cpu is running towards the top and pressing down special. Can you pick up and recharge the top now?

Here is the video I am talking about.
http://youtu.be/xpSGvKFp4Nw

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
In the gameplay videos that were posted to reddit I noticed something. If ROB tries to load a top if the top is already out, he has a confused animation. In the video it was only in the air so I don't know how much lag it really is.

And am I wrong, or does it look like the rob cpu is running towards the top and pressing down special. Can you pick up and recharge the top now?

Here is the video I am talking about.
http://youtu.be/xpSGvKFp4Nw
Recharging his top was one of the first topics of the old thread. No, I do not see a connection, I think the AI was just being indecisive on it's choice of moves. I did notice how quickly he can charge his gyro initially, so It may not be so useful to be able to recharge the top anymore. I will let you know if I find information of the contrary, though.

(1UP)

Smash Apprentice
he also does not lose his momentum now when he jumps, while his n-air appears to have received a damage nerf.

from what i'm seeing on the vgbootcamp stream, though, ROB looks like one of a select few characters who will consistently be able to gimp early

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
he also does not lose his momentum now when he jumps, while his n-air appears to have received a damage nerf.

from what i'm seeing on the vgbootcamp stream, though, ROB looks like one of a select few characters who will consistently be able to gimp early
Gimp? I am sorry but you will have to define that one for me. From context, it either means ROB can KO early game, or he get's twisted out of shape early game...

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Gimp? I am sorry but you will have to define that one for me. From context, it either means ROB can KO early game, or he get's twisted out of shape early game...
He can ruin someone's recovery. So if link falls off the stage at 5%, rob can easily kill him. (if his claims on his gimp ability are correct)

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
I hope his Dair is as fun as it was in brawl then. Seems that ROBs primary tactic of knocking people off the edge with projectiles, and then meteor smashing is still sound(Don't quote me on that.) Looking forward to ruining people's recovery when the game comes out!

Mamp

Smash Apprentice
Here's a gif of ROB's sped-up d-air:
c2abq.gif

As you can see, it's a lot faster than it was in brawl, and I think it will really help out his off-stage game

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
From what I've seen on the VGBC stream, ROB looks a lot more interesting to me than he was in Brawl. One of the most useful things that I saw was the ability to Short Hop Autocancel Nair (which has combo potential at low percents). Dtilt is very fast, and both Laser and Fsmash (the low laser some people have referred to) hit lower than they used to, which is cool.

D

Deleted member

It does that in Brawl too. Its just less noticeable.
I'm betting they made it larger for the 3DS version, and it may be slightly less noticeable on Wii U. Maybe not though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mamp

Smash Apprentice
I'm curious if the fuel for his up+b charges while he's hanging onto a ledge in this game. It didn't in Brawl, but it'd be a cool change. Does anyone have the game to test?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Did anyone else catch a glimpse of ROB's new Forward Smash? It looks like it has good range now, which should HELP a lot since he doesn't have to be in his blindzone to hit with it.

Last edited:

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
Did anyone else catch a glimpse of ROB's new Forward Smash? It looks like it has good range now, which should HELP a lot since he doesn't have to be in his blindzone to hit with it.
It would help immensely if someone posted an image. Is it one of his laser attacks?

I'm curious if the fuel for his up+b charges while he's hanging onto a ledge in this game. It didn't in Brawl, but it'd be a cool change. Does anyone have the game to test?
I don't have the game, but I watched a lot of fighting, and as far as I can tell, It does not.

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
It would help immensely if someone posted an image. Is it one of his laser attacks?

I don't have the game, but I watched a lot of fighting, and as far as I can tell, It does not.
Watch the video I posted.

(1UP)

Smash Apprentice
mega-burner does not appear to be anywhere near as effective as in brawl. still worth using, but it looks like you have to hold B for longer periods of time to start/keep your upward momentum. i have also not seen any rising aerials in conjunction with up-B yet.

Last edited:

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
mega-burner does not appear to be anywhere near as effective as in brawl. still worth using, but it looks like you have to hold B for longer periods of time to start/keep your upward momentum. i have also not seen any rising aerials in conjunction with up-B yet.
At least well get to see his awesome superhero pose more often.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Main improvements I felt R.O.B. received this time around:
  • Uair is now a good aerial to seal stocks. Star KO potential has increased drastically. It's 11% fresh AND a KO move. Also very good juggling move on airborne foes.
  • SideB now having a finisher move at the end of the attack. Can KO anywhere in the 100 - 150% range varying on the character. I'd like to know if you can turnaround your direction facing while spinning.
  • DownB to me got a win-lose trade-off. It got improvements, but also received some setbacks. The main improvement I'd like to make note of for Gyro is this moment in this particular video at 9:06:
    Notice specifically when Bowser runs in to grab R.O.B. after he fires his laser. Right before Bowser runs in to grab him, R.O.B. inputs DownB to bring out his gyro, & the gyro was active hitting Bowser away the moment Bowser grabbed. Bowser did not pummel to make the Gyro hit him, so I'd like to say that in this case, Gyro is a stationary hit-box, & possibly Gyro may block or clank with projectiles if it's out & about while charging.
    --Also, I saw in another video that R.O.B. can Gyro Charge Shield Cancel, that also returned.
  • NeutralB's pathing looks very glitchy to me, or Yoshi's Island is just messed up. Do you see the trajectory of his laser tilted down bouncing off the stage?!?!?! What if that entire laser was a hit-box. Insayian! Look closely at 9:53:
  • Dthrow > Uair / Nair is guaranteed most of the time unless % is too high or character is too light.
  • Uthrow is our KO throw, still.
  • Bthrow to laser is a lot more easier to land.
  • Usmash's hit-box is a huge AOE explosion, & is his most reliable Smash move to KO.
  • Fsmash's range is very long, even longer than Brawl R.O.B.'s Ftilt range!

Top Bottom