• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. Moveset Analysis and Speculation Thread (Updated: Feb/16/2015)

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
If you are in the position to use custom moves, I highly recommend the UpB-3 "High-Speed Burner" (Edit: UpB 2 "Robo Rocket" [thanks adom4])...

... IT"S A SPIKE!

Seriously, its the easiest spike to land, the opponent need to be anywhere within a normal single jump height above you and you spike them!

It's also great to finish off up air / up smash juggles. I got a nice KO where I combo'd a dash attack -> Up Smash ->Up B -> Up Air. It's a great offensive tool to add to ROB's kit.
at certain percents, you can combo up/down throw > up B > Uair and it will always kill, but only if they don't vector to the sides...

speaking of custom moves, side B 2 is actually really good! not only is this move the superior reflector, but it is also an amazing edgeguarding tool! I feel like its very similar to melee fox's shine, but instead of coming out on frame 1, you get an extended hitbox and it stays out for the entire duration of the move. also, due to its hovering nature, it will cover a huge area and force the enemy to recover from above or die. it even intercepts tethers!

one very important note though: I recommend not to have both up B 2 with Side B 2 together in a moveset... they don't mix well.

Last edited:

RainblowCupcakes

Smash Rookie
NNID
RainblowCupcakes
What true comboes does ROB have? I've been using Dthrow -> Uair at low percents, but after ~50% that becomes escapable. Any true comboes a ROB main should know?

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
What true comboes does ROB have? I've been using Dthrow -> Uair at low percents, but after ~50% that becomes escapable. Any true comboes a ROB main should know?
There's always the textbook Gyro to Robo Beam combo that works at longer ranges, since they follow into each other very nicely while the opponent is in the hitstun from the Gyro/Robo Beam. Dtilt can set up for some nice follow-ups, such as a F-tilt/Jab, short hop Nair, another Dtilt, Side-B, or even an Fsmash if it manages to trip them.

Last edited:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Just remember, there's always one combo that applies to almost any move and can string together many times:

Move -> Read -> Move

In Brawl, and to a lesser but still significant extent, the game is less combo oriented and more reading oriented. True combos are cool, but once the match is over, you can consider and string of moves to be a combo.

Croissant

Smash Apprentice
Soooo, does b-air no longer have a head/body hitbox?

Also, aerials out of up-b no longer get a rocket boost after for easy escape like it did in brawl =[

Nix

Smash Rookie
How to you "SDI" out of R.O.B's side B? It's bullsh*t if you don't know how to shield it, it eats your shield anyway so lol (I heard there's barely any SDI left in Smash 4)

Any optimal punishes that are not read-based?

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
Shielding it is the best way to deal with it. If you have a decently full shield it won't poke, and the start-up is pretty large so you can definitely react to it. The endlag is also so high that even if ROB fades back really far, his opponent can still unshield and get a pretty hard punish. Don't get caught by how long ROB can sideb, just shield and take the safe punish.

If you are hit by sideb, SDI up would probably be the best option. Depending on your position, you could also try to SDI up and behind ROB to avoid the launching hit.

Shucklin

Smash Rookie
Just came here to say that rob's wide angle beam custom is underrated. It seems that people just wrote it off as trash

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
Just came here to say that rob's wide angle beam custom is underrated. It seems that people just wrote it off as trash
It's usefulness is ultimately determined by the user. If used precisely, it can hit at absurd angles. If I may ask, how do you use the Wide-angle beam?

EDIT: I just finished updating the OP, and it occurred to me that having a visual representation of the hitboxes, as well as frame-data would useful. Anyone know how to get this type of information?

Last edited:
Top Bottom