• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. Matchup Analysis #40 - Greninja

nintendonaut

Smash Rookie
This MU is naaasty. Pretty sure all R.O.B.s hate it. Actually, pretty sure Mister Eric himself ranks it in R.O.B's top 5 worst MUs. That U-Smash's hitbox is just so huge that it can totally negate falling nairs. His Sheik-like U-Air juggles well too, and he can even use his Up-B's spray to push us away off-stage. So basically, landing against him his a nightmare. Approaching him isn't any more fun, since his fair out-ranges our fair and nair by a mile. His neutral-B is a good zoning tool which I believe eats gyros (?), and so yeah--It's bad. I mostly just try to stay grounded, and use a very defensive approach. They like to come in with fairs, and if you challenge them they just win the trade, so I find it's best to try to shield them off and then find ways to follow up.

One thing I've noted is that once they start charging Neutral-B, they can't cancel it. Sort of like ZSS's Paralyzer Shot. I haven't experimented much, but at close range reflecting that might not afford them enough time to jump/shield. Anyone else know about that one?

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
This one might indeed be a toughy. But there are days where I'm like "Hmm, that wasn't so bad" and other days where I'm like "WHAT DO I DO?!!?" Looking forward to seeing everyone's insight on this one.

Cylent

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cylent.x
I won't play ROB v Greninja anymore. I always will pull out a secondary. ROB is combo food for a good Grenini.

GooberGaming

Smash Apprentice
If you force :4greninja: to approach, then you can begin punishing his laggy moves, if they approach carelessly. His N-air has no end lag so be sure to defend against N-air approaches as that can be a combo starter.

:4greninja:'s grounded approaches are limited to dash attack, and dash grab. Both can be spot dodged. If grabbed, your either going to be up or down thrown. Avoid air dodging the down throw because you will be punished with a semi charged up forward smash, and try to jump away from the up-throw - up air follow-up.

What annoys me playing as :4greninja: are defensive minded play styles. :4greninja:'s game is based around a hit and run, and punish game, you happen to make a mistake your going to be combo food. My main advice is that you should play very patiently and wall :4greninja: out with Laser and Gyro, while waiting for him to make a mistake by getting impatient and doing a very punishable approach.

One of the hard things about this match up is the fact that its a rarity that you see a :4greninja: on For Glory, so it's hard to really nail down a proper strategy against him! :(.

nintendonaut

Smash Rookie
If you force :4greninja: to approach, then you can begin punishing his laggy moves, if they approach carelessly. His N-air has no end lag so be sure to defend against N-air approaches as that can be a combo starter.

:4greninja:'s grounded approaches are limited to dash attack, and dash grab. Both can be spot dodged. If grabbed, your either going to be up or down thrown. Avoid air dodging the down throw because you will be punished with a semi charged up forward smash, and try to jump away from the up-throw - up air follow-up.

What annoys me playing as :4greninja: are defensive minded play styles. :4greninja:'s game is based around a hit and run, and punish game, you happen to make a mistake your going to be combo food. My main advice is that you should play very patiently and wall :4greninja: out with Laser and Gyro, while waiting for him to make a mistake by getting impatient and doing a very punishable approach.

One of the hard things about this match up is the fact that its a rarity that you see a :4greninja: on For Glory, so it's hard to really nail down a proper strategy against him! :(.

Thanks for stopping by and dropping that knowledge!

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I find it interesting that you guys struggle with Greninja considering ROB is probably one of my top 5 most hated MUs with him

Top Bottom