• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. Matchup Analysis #19 - Ganondorf

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
55:45 ROB. Ganon absolutely destroys ROB at the right distance without gyro. He can answer any move ROB tries to throw out if gyro is not currently available. Uair, nair and bair beat our aerials pretty handily. However, he often has to play a prediction game, allowing himself to be baited. On top of that, without customs, he has very little answer to ROB spacing him out, pushing him back with projectiles and just running away. With customs on, He can respond to uncharged gyro and laser on reaction with Wizard kick and hit every time. However, short hop gyro can mitigate this as well as retreating gyro and laser. Once again, Ganon still has trouble beating the run away game as ROB becomes harder to kill with custom Up B allowing him greater speed in recovery and control to just move around Ganon's ledge options. ROB's retreating, autocancel Fair is safe on Ganon's shield most of the time. If done incorrectly it can be punished with Ganon dash attack or occasionally wizard/warlock kick. ROB cannot safely rely on spiking Ganon's custom UpB thanks to armor and dying to it at like 70.

Really, Ganon would probably be even with ROB if we didn't gimp him pretty hard (which becomes harder with customs on; I would go so far as to say the matchup could be considered even in that case).

Anyway, I'm the best Ganon player around these parts and the best ROB. I've been in competitive matches on both sides of the coin many times so I know the matchup like the back of my hand at this point. Online, ROB eats ganon alive because power shielding is essential and well...you know. Offline, its a much different story and Ganon can actually keep up. He definitely does not get slaughtered. Probably one of ROB's roughest matchups in the low tiers.

Edit: I recommend that with customs on the ROB should take 3131. Infinite beam is a pain in the butt for Ganon who would like to approach now, but instead you can fire another laser. Useful for setting up your offstage gimps even if you just fired a laser. If you are good with it, Wide-angle beam can be stupid for Ganon to deal with since it covers all approach vectors. The custom burner helps you recover around Ganon's huge aerials. Stages are optional. Matchup is mostly the same everywhere for us. Avoid walk offs.

From Ganon's view, I recommend 2322. ROB will often poke Ganon out of his standard forward B, but will clash or lose out to Flame Chain (this move is great on walk off stages like Castle Siege and Delphino as well as giving Ganon a safer recovery option than standard forward B, though he wont need it much anyway with Wizard Dropkick). Wizard dropkick is a no brainer and Warlock Blade is stylish so might as well use it. Dark Fists is brutal if ROB forgets who he is ****ing with and hits your shield unsafely, while also being better for armoring through gyro gimps and spike attempts. Good stages are going to be battlefield and delphino (Skyworld if you have that on as well, but beware of ROBs that just want to run and time you out here, it can happen easily).

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
55:45 ROB. Ganon absolutely destroys ROB at the right distance without gyro. He can answer any move ROB tries to throw out if gyro is not currently available. Uair, nair and bair beat our aerials pretty handily. However, he often has to play a prediction game, allowing himself to be baited. On top of that, without customs, he has very little answer to ROB spacing him out, pushing him back with projectiles and just running away. With customs on, He can respond to uncharged gyro and laser on reaction with Wizard kick and hit every time. However, short hop gyro can mitigate this as well as retreating gyro and laser. Once again, Ganon still has trouble beating the run away game as ROB becomes harder to kill with custom Up B allowing him greater speed in recovery and control to just move around Ganon's ledge options. ROB's retreating, autocancel Fair is safe on Ganon's shield most of the time. If done incorrectly it can be punished with Ganon dash attack or occasionally wizard/warlock kick. ROB cannot safely rely on spiking Ganon's custom UpB thanks to armor and dying to it at like 70.

Really, Ganon would probably be even with ROB if we didn't gimp him pretty hard (which becomes harder with customs on; I would go so far as to say the matchup could be considered even in that case).

Anyway, I'm the best Ganon player around these parts and the best ROB. I've been in competitive matches on both sides of the coin many times so I know the matchup like the back of my hand at this point. Online, ROB eats ganon alive because power shielding is essential and well...you know. Offline, its a much different story and Ganon can actually keep up. He definitely does not get slaughtered. Probably one of ROB's roughest matchups in the low tiers.

Edit: I recommend that with customs on the ROB should take 3131. Infinite beam is a pain in the butt for Ganon who would like to approach now, but instead you can fire another laser. Useful for setting up your offstage gimps even if you just fired a laser. If you are good with it, Wide-angle beam can be stupid for Ganon to deal with since it covers all approach vectors. The custom burner helps you recover around Ganon's huge aerials. Stages are optional. Matchup is mostly the same everywhere for us. Avoid walk offs.

From Ganon's view, I recommend 2322. ROB will often poke Ganon out of his standard forward B, but will clash or lose out to Flame Chain (this move is great on walk off stages like Castle Siege and Delphino as well as giving Ganon a safer recovery option than standard forward B, though he wont need it much anyway with Wizard Dropkick). Wizard dropkick is a no brainer and Warlock Blade is stylish so might as well use it. Dark Fists is brutal if ROB forgets who he is ****ing with and hits your shield unsafely, while also being better for armoring through gyro gimps and spike attempts. Good stages are going to be battlefield and delphino (Skyworld if you have that on as well, but beware of ROBs that just want to run and time you out here, it can happen easily).
Very interesting. I see the utility in 2322, since WDK allows for better recovery and something to bypass the Gyro. Though I enjoy 2121, I understand that WDK is very useful. Flame Chain is fairly good, but I prefer the standard forward B, since, as you said, WDK already fits that recovery issue. Mainly the reason why I think 2122 is better that 2322 is because of the mixups that Ganon can pull on ROB. If he gets a choke, ROB must tech, or three different possible moves will eat ROB, Forward tilt and down tilt being able to nail stocks at later percents. Of course, a down air if read correctly is also an option.

Top Bottom