• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.I.P. Kjell Anders "Nappy" Peterson.

We lacked images until Sush1 showed up :)

But anyway, Sush1's conversation brings up an interesting topic in my mind. There is a quite a lot of uncalled for discrimination against none dominant groups of people. Anytime someone acts outside the norm, there will be discrimination of some form.

Here are some examples:
-There are people who cross dress instead of dressing how society wants them too. -There are people who are homosexual instead of heterosexual.
-There are people who do not practice Christianity and declare Islam or Confucianism as their religion .
-There are people who aren't "white", but have a different skin color.
And many, many other examples.

There are merely interests, hobbies, ways of life, or phenotypes made at birth. Why the hell should society give them a hard time for any of these? I mean, WTF?! People are so annoying when they start degrading others and it's just so WRONG.

Darn it, I made myself mad.

Sush1

Smash Apprentice
We lacked images until Sush1 showed up :)

But anyway, Sush1's conversation brings up an interesting topic in my mind. There is a quite a lot of uncalled for discrimination against none dominant groups of people. Anytime someone acts outside the norm, there will be discrimination of some form.

Here are some examples:
-There are people who cross dress instead of dressing how society wants them too. -There are people who are homosexual instead of heterosexual.
-There are people who do not practice Christianity and declare Islam or Confucianism as their religion .
-There are people who aren't "white", but have a different skin color.
And many, many other examples.

There are merely interests, hobbies, ways of life, or phenotypes made at birth. Why the hell should society give them a hard time for any of these? I mean, WTF?! People are so annoying when they start degrading others and it's just so WRONG.

Darn it, I made myself mad.

Congratulations if you're one of the 2,94% of people that type those kind of things and actually think it, not for a show.

When i have a problem at school with a student or some dude, nothing's more easier to bash (in the form of words) somebody who is muslim. I damn the 9/11 date.

Discrimination is somewhat related to stereotypes, if i could say. Although Discrimination is an unfair treatment of a person, racial group, minority, etc.; action based on prejudice mainly.

Although A stereotype is a popular belief about specific social groups or types of individuals. The concepts of "stereotype" and "prejudice" (Which in some case are similar, such as the examples you stated) are often confused with many other different meanings. Stereotypes are standardized and simplified conceptions of groups based on some prior assumptions that are usually false.

And yes i do love images.

"Type only for show and think it?"
That's a minority group to you, Sush1?

I find that surprising. I would think it would be the other way around. The idea that we understand that you should treat others fairly. Most people I have encountered believe in this sort of ideal.

The failure is agreeing on what is fair treatment and to which kinds of people. One person might realize it is wrong to discriminate based on color. Therefore, they do not discriminate, but they might have no such problem with discriminating against homosexuals.

The other failure is that people do not act or take vocal opposition to any discrimination that happens around them. For myself, I try my best to reject any action, speech, etc. that would lead to unequal treatment or would be discriminatory. However, when others crack jokes made thick with stereotypes, or people discuss homosexuals or other religions as being "defective in the brain" and such, I fail to make an effort to confront people with these statements. Anytime I let such statements go unchallenged, it only reinforces these stereotypes and preconceived notions people have.

A fight no one cares wants to deal with if on the dominant party, but something that should still be done.

Sush1

Smash Apprentice
The other failure is that people do not act or take vocal opposition to any discrimination that happens around them. For myself, I try my best to reject any action, speech, etc. that would lead to unequal treatment or would be discriminatory. However, when others crack jokes made thick with stereotypes, or people discuss homosexuals or other religions as being "defective in the brain" and such, I fail to make an effort to confront people with these statements. Anytime I let such statements go unchallenged, it only reinforces these stereotypes and preconceived notions people have.
Should you know that a stereotype, used to make a joke is always false and is only there for the giggles. Maybe my picture offended you, but i'm really not trying to proove anything here. It's not even a statement, it's just a stereotype.
Woman can't drive. Sure lol.
Poland people are slow. Yeah, right.
Japanese love tentacle stuff. Okay?
Jamaicans are always high.
Portoricans wash once a weekend.
Brazilians girls are always busty and yadada.

I could go on, but these are only stereotypes, using one isn't discriminatory, and making fun of one should not in any way hurt somebody's feeling. There's not one race(arab, italian), type of person (woman, homosexuals.), in the earth who doesn't have a stereotype.

There's a difference.

''Hey Adam, how are you doing with your bombs :D?'' <= Stereotype.
''Hey you goddamn terrorist'' <= Discriminatory

Anyways i think this is a touchy subject and we shouldn't really argue (However i'm really glad you did it legitly and in a proper manner) about this.

You also said something about people thinking that way, and it's the other way around. Believe me. Make a poll on facebook and ask the question ''Are you racist?''. You know what everybody's answer will be. However some people that i know voted ''I'm not'', yet they've shown me they are.

Basicly, people wanna show it off, that they're a good person because they don't want to be judged by the society and have a bad repuation. Everyone wants a good reputation, by showing that you have good ideals. (By all means, some people are frank and really are). Imagine if the world was honest, people will be judged so easily and will be miserable. I know i'm drifting off but i just wanted to answer to that point.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
So apparently a Metal Gear Solid movie is in the initial works or something

CHRISTIAN BALE FOR SOLID SNAKE, ITS WRITTEN IN THE STARS

I was mostly touching base on some of my own thoughts related to the subject and some theory I have read about. I never intended to call anyone out on anything.

I haven't played MGS4 because of that very reason. I have not even gotten into the mood to sit through it and watch it on youtube either.

Sush1

Smash Apprentice
It's all good - I just personally think it's a really touchy subject and talking about it here can hurt somebodies feelings.

But MSG is a game, nothing real although having some really deep concepts about life and shenanigans.

Also - I'm really bored playing versus computers on brawl, anyone wanna play on wifi?

Sush1

Smash Apprentice
I mainly wanna play wifi so one of you guys could tell me with which character i'm better because atm i'm playing with alot of characters, being good/decently good with them, knowing i'm still a newbie

Snake
Wario
G&W
DDD
Diddy
Falco

Darn. Yet i love them all because

Snake - Played the MGS series five or 6 times
Wario - Love wario land
G&W - Love Game and watch's down tech chase
DDD - I love penguins.
Diddy - Being able to do combos with bananas are cool.
Falco - Looks cool and love his projectiles.

HGNNN.

I liked melee falco for that dair -> shine and lasers stuff. However, his recovery, combo bait, and having to play very quickly all the time turned me off to him. Dat Ganon, Marth, Link combo is where it's at lul

F A N G

Smash Journeyman
I do, but I'm awful.

Hey Attila (you prefer that over schmot right?, do you have any videos of yourself? I tried searching for that national a few weeks back, but I don't remember what it's called...

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Yeah, Attila is my name irl, and that's what everyone calls me anyway.

I'm on an iPhone, so linking is too hard. Search 'attila' and 'snake' or 'ice climbers' and a bunch of videos will cone up. Last national was called reloaded, although I didn't get much recorded there.

:phone:

Mike2

Smash Ace
dang. after watching the link schmot posted i'm disappointed no snakes are coming from japan. on that note i'd REALLY like to see El come over here too

F A N G

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Attila is my name irl, and that's what everyone calls me anyway.

I'm on an iPhone, so linking is too hard. Search 'attila' and 'snake' or 'ice climbers' and a bunch of videos will cone up. Last national was called reloaded, although I didn't get much recorded there.
Your... name? Or IRL tag?

Thanks, I found a bunch of stuff.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
he used to main falcon, now he mostly plays marth. then he got into the PR.

there's kind of a huge difference between the top three and the rest, anyway.

Top Bottom