• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

quicker edgegrab

Rock Lobsta

Smash Journeyman
yes, dont yell at me, I used search and in every link video ive seen, ive never seen anyone try it before.

You need to stand near the edge, pull out a bomb, throw it at your feet and cc it for a split second so you dont pass up the ledge. you need 20% damage or higher for it to work.

Just wondering if people use it.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
why not just short hop or wavedash into an edgehog? it would be faster than standing right at the edge facing the other direction, pulling out a bomb, throw it down, and DI to the ledge. plus you don't get damage. if you already have a bomb out, dash toward the ledge, jump, throw it the other direction, and grab the ledge

Rock Lobsta

Smash Journeyman
no, the point is that you dont have to face the other direction, I forgot to add that you need to face away from the stage to do it. then they wont expect you to grab the edge and will go for it instead of landing on the stage, since you have a bomb in your hand, theyd be nervous.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
the setup takes a little while though. anyways, i'm sure there are better ways of edgeguarding than bombing yourself. taking damage to do something that may not succeed doesn't sound too appealing

SuperDoodleMan

Smash Ace
Coincidentally, Link's edge-grabbing animation is 4 frames shorter than everyone else's (3 as opposed to 7).

Skler

Smash Master
The spinhog would be just as fast, give you no damage and look cooler (unless you were just standing at the edge for no reason watching them recover and had a bomb in your hand).

Deva

Smash Lord
no, the point is that you dont have to face the other direction, I forgot to add that you need to face away from the stage to do it. then they wont expect you to grab the edge and will go for it instead of landing on the stage, since you have a bomb in your hand, theyd be nervous.
I do see the potential mindgame you refer to, though for practical purposes, it would better to use the methods others have mentioned. I may try this sometime to see how well it works. Nice job coming up with a new edge hog.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Oh snap, I was trying this out before.

I thought it was my little secret O_o

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
Oh snap, I was trying this out before.

I thought it was my little secret O_o
yeah, but what are your thoughts about it's practical use, if any? do you think it's effective enough to replace other methods of edge-hogging? and if so, for what reasons?

i haven't tried using this method yet, but it sounds like it's effectiveness may depend on fooling your opponent, rather than it actually being what the topic suggests: a quicker way to edgeguard. however, and i know i always say this, but it's all situational. meaning, it's possible that this method may actually be a quicker, or the quickest, way to edge-hog under certain circumstances. for example, lets say you're already standing near the edge with a bomb in your hand as your opponent is making his way back to the stage. given this situation, ccing your own bomb>ledge-hog may be quicker than short-hopping>reverse bomb-throw>ledge-hog. i should try this method out before i say anymore; i've only been theorizing thus far. i will say this though: more so than not, i believe that this method's practical worth--that is, assuming it has any to begin with--primarily exists within the realm of--and i really hate using this term--"mind games."

Z-N_Freak

Smash Ace
Heres something faster.

wavedash off the stage flick the control stick down, you'll grab the edge faster.
That's not the point T_T
People should learn to read a topic or just not post bullcrap =/

It's about the mindgame and that, if you can do this constantly, would imo make this worth it, but I haven't heard from this before, Im gonna try this out later to see if I can actually pull this of. (It seems hard =P )

arrowhead

Smash Ace
no, it isn't. all you have to do is hold down on the c-stick for a little bit when throwing the bomb. i think this only has a use if the opponent only has one option to recover. like during fox or falco's illusion (if it's fast enough) or if they're trying to sweetspot.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
Heres something faster.

wavedash off the stage flick the control stick down, you'll grab the edge faster.
i doubt it's faster. maybe the same quickness if you're already facing the other way. but the point is to face the edge for the mindgameness

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
a lot of you voice your opinion with only one situation in mind without considering the many different variables involved in...well, everything. . let's say you hit your opponent near the edge with a spin attack while already holding a bomb in the first place. that means you won't have to waste valuable time pulling out a bomb after the spin attack; instead, you'll be able to immediately throw the bomb down>cc>ledge-hog. but, for the most part, you won't have a bomb in hand before sending your opponent off stage, which means you'll have to take one out after. obviously, this would be no good if you're racing to grab the edge before your enemy does; it's way too slow if you're in a rush. like i said before, it's practical use should be realized through "mind-games" if anything.

That's not the point T_T
People should learn to read a topic or just not post bullcrap =/

It's about the mindgame...
you should take your own advice and re-read the topic at hand before posting. the topic is titled "quicker edgegrab" and does not imply it's potential as a mind-game. therefore, aesir is right, because his post addressed what the topic was implying; you didn't.

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
if you already have a bomb out, this method is pretty quick. also, if you're on the very edge, it can be done at lower percents than 20%. if you're a few spaces from the edge even, you can always cc>wavedash back.

Top Bottom