• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quick Question on Blue bthrow

Olimarman

Smash Ace
Ok, blue backthrow owns, we all know this. Sometimes when I do a blue bthrow the opponent is shot directly horizontal behind me, while other times they are shot at like a 70 degree angle behind me. Is there any reason as to why they may be throw in either direction? Both have happened to the same character so I don't think it has to do with how the other character DIs.

shanus

Smash Hero
I'm 99% sure its DI'ing up versus down. All my opponents I play regularly I believe jam up on his backthrow so as to not eat horizontal death.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Haha, this reminds me of something. If you play with someone regularly and they know what each pikmin specializes in, try this out. If you grab them with a purple, throw them backwards. They'll probably DI downwards to avoid the upthrow, but instead they'll fly horizontally and maybe get too far down to get back to the stage. It's great.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Haha, this reminds me of something. If you play with someone regularly and they know what each pikmin specializes in, try this out. If you grab them with a purple, throw them backwards. They'll probably DI downwards to avoid the upthrow, but instead they'll fly horizontally and maybe get too far down to get back to the stage. It's great.
Oh noes. I have been discovered.

asob4

Smash Champion
when you're on the edge for a good forward throw with blue, do a back throw instead ^^ they ALWAYS DI that way and they go so far and are unable to recover

shanus

Smash Hero
DI downwards does absolutely nothing from a uthrow anyway, especially if they're holding it from the start, they don't even get smashDI
correct me if I'm wrong, but smashDI doesnt work unless there's a hitstun on moves, so smashDI I believe doesn't exist on throws. Only normal DI.

Also, who in the world would try to DI downwards against Olimar anyways?

Rocann

Smash Lord
correct me if I'm wrong, but smashDI doesnt work unless there's a hitstun on moves, so smashDI I believe doesn't exist on throws. Only normal DI.

Also, who in the world would try to DI downwards against Olimar anyways?
it has to exist on throws. otherwise there wouldn't be such a glaring change in trajectory so early on after the bthrow.

shanus

Smash Hero
No, thats the initial DI, smashDI I believe is a hitstun only related mechanism. Any super hard core techer's know the answer?

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
Not hardcore, but smashDI is hit stun and multi-hit related. So you can DI away from Zelda's fsmash, but you will get pushed one way with the full hits. If you smash DI it, you can escape 80% of the time before the last hit lands. (Same for Halbred's cannon and Smart Bombs)

EDIT:: Full information to be here.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=60218

DeathNote

Smash Apprentice
Please divulge why blue back throw owns.
You serious?

Maybe because 2 hits and a Bthrow from a Blue pikmin does about the same % as an uncharged purple Fsmash.

Or maybe because only blue pikmin can KO in the mid 100%'s with a bthrow... and Olimar just happens to have a wicked grab range basically ensuring the KO

Snail

Smash Lord
You serious?

Maybe because 2 hits and a Bthrow from a Blue pikmin does about the same % as an uncharged purple Fsmash.

Or maybe because only blue pikmin can KO in the mid 100%'s with a bthrow... and Olimar just happens to have a wicked grab range basically ensuring the KO
Blue Bthrow usually kills in the 90s for me if I do it near the edge, which is basically the only place I do it if my opponent is in the higher percentages. You can use it from the center of a stage too, but your opponent will need to have some more damage for it to KO. It still does some awesome damage though, I just prefer to use it for KOing shield-happy people.

RichBrown

Smash Master
Going back to the initial question (actually, building off of it): Does diminishing returns apply to throws in ANY direction? I was practicing saving my back throw until I got a blue at a high %, but I noticed that I still couldn't get the really awesome horizontal KO.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Each direction you throw counts as its own attack. Each pikmin doesn't count as it's own attack.

Ex. yellow upthrow, then yellow backthrow, then blue backthrow
-yellow upsmash will do regular damage
-yellow backthrow will do regular damage
-blue backthrow will do subpar damage

RichBrown

Smash Master
I know each pikmin doesn't have its own attack (although that'd be awesome) but what I meant was, if I do 9 downthrows in a row (with any color) followed by a backthrow with a blue pikmin, would that backthrow be affected by diminishing returns because it was a throw, or will it be fresh because it is a backthrow instead of a downthrow?

id test this stuff if i owned a **** wii XD

Snail

Smash Lord
I know each pikmin doesn't have its own attack (although that'd be awesome) but what I meant was, if I do 9 downthrows in a row (with any color) followed by a backthrow with a blue pikmin, would that backthrow be affected by diminishing returns because it was a throw, or will it be fresh because it is a backthrow instead of a downthrow?

id test this stuff if i owned a **** wii XD
The Bthrow would still be fresh. It counts as a different move just like downtilt isn't affected by decay even after using uptilt 9 times, although they're both tilts.

RichBrown

Smash Master
gotcha.

I asked because I've noticed that I will sometimes get that weird angle on the back throw even after not using it a bunch. Maybe I'm not as aware of how much i use it as i thought...

Snail

Smash Lord
gotcha.

I asked because I've noticed that I will sometimes get that weird angle on the back throw even after not using it a bunch. Maybe I'm not as aware of how much i use it as i thought...
That would be because the opponent DIs upwards and changes the trajectory that way (making it less deadly.)

Top Bottom