• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question to you other tournament Yoshi players

bigman40

Smash Master
My college decided to host a few tournies, but they think using custom controls is frowned upon the smash community (which I believe is Bull****). Quote from the host:

"Aesthetically modded controllers are allowed, i.e. you spray painted your silver controller or you took the black top and silver bottom from 2 other controllers and put them together. Opponents may ask to see each others controllers at any time for checking. Also, any controllers are allowed, Wii mote, wii mote nun chuck combo, classic, GC con, wavebird, whatever you are comfortable with. However, this being said, there will not be any custom controls allowed. I know the most common change is just turning tap jump off, but even that kind of customization is generally frowned on in the gaming community. B-sticking will definately not be allowed. Again, I know this may sound harsh, but this is the general consensus of the smash community, and I agree with it, so we're going to use it."

Everyone knows that modded controllers are banned, but I've never seen custom controls banned from any tournament elsewhere (unless I'm wrong). Your thoughts?

bigman40

Smash Master
Wait, I can't even have Tap Jump off?

********!
Not only have tap jump off, but they refuse to allow any kind of customization. Therefore, I won't be able to DR at all, or, as a matter of fact, play my normal game. I already know their "smash community" that backs them is imaginary (modded controllers aren't allowed and custom controls are allowed in the real world), so I have no idea why they choose to use that "rule".

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
I think the whole thing is ridiculous. Choosing a control scheme is no different than choosing a character. Was any explanation offered as to why the "gaming community" frowns upon it? If they don't have a legitimate reason, just ditch them and organize your own tournies.

bigman40

Smash Master
I think the whole thing is ridiculous. Choosing a control scheme is no different than choosing a character. Was any explanation offered as to why the "gaming community" frowns upon it? If they don't have a legitimate reason, just ditch them and organize your own tournies.
No explanation was added to it, and I'm going to ask before they even get it started (they go over the rules this Thursday I think). I plan to try again in making a tourney here, but I'm going to get them to change that statement (or get booted out).

SOVAman

Smash Hero
He said you can bring modded controllers but no custom controls....WUT????

As a tournament Yoshi I call this "Malarkey" I don't agree one bit .

I can't play with yoshi if tap jump is on.

Also Custom controls are not frowned in the competitive scene.......WTF is he talkin bout?

bigman40

Smash Master
Idk, but if he can't give me some REALLY good answers for not using it, then I'm hosting my own (which I might do anyway).

@Chaco: Huh? These are at my college, which is like 3 hrs from Atlanta. You're coming down here? o.o;

Chaco

Never Logs In
Possibly. It depends on what day of the week and what I'm doing.

D

Deleted member

tell him that every competative tourny in existence uses custom controls, and to learn2host.

Naucitos

Smash Journeyman
haha, did you REALLY even have to ask us to know this was bull? lol
i wouldn't be TOO bad off without custom controls, but i would be alot less happy :s

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
but this is the general consensus of the smash community
Tell him he is completely and totally FULL OF CRAP if he honestly believes this. NO serious Smash players would EVER agree that this is the right way to host a tournament, PERIOD.

Hell, I don't even USE custom controls (I'm the one of the extremely small percentage of tournament Yoshis that actually use Tap Jump), and this pisses me off. You should direct the tournament host to the official Brawl tournament thread, then give him a swift kick in the butt for being so stupid.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I think this dude is perfectly justified in what he's saying. I mean...

...if you think about it...pfft, LOLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

Okay, I couldn't type that with a straight face, ROFL! This dude's maybe raising a tiny gaming community of ants or fish or something, but actual tournament players know what's up. Even if this is how it's gotta be, just go wreck @$$, Scatz!

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
At our monthly tournaments we allow people to customize controls before every match if they want to. Customizing controls is part of the game... come on pplz lol.

Go schedule a tournament the same time as theirs and tell everyone that if they come to yours they can customizer controls and see who has the bigger turnout lol.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
That's a cool idea, Dsty, except the other guy would have a significant head start on him in terms of setting up and advertising the tournament. If he has enough time to work out a venue and set up the competition, however, I would wholeheartedly endorse this idea, and will laugh my butt off at how much better it does when you use rules that make sense.

.Marik

is a social misfit
I think customized controls should be allowed, it's like choosing a charcter, right?

But yeah, I play with tap jump on, so whatever.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Just show up and talk to your opponents before the match and ask them if it's alright with them if you change your control scheme before the match starts. More often than not the other person will be cool about it (they probably want to change control schemes too).

And if they complain to a tournament organizer they're a little b*tch lol.

I don't think there's much they can do if your opponent is ok with you changing your control schemes. There's no unfair advantage of changing your schemes as your opponent can do the same.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
You should show the tournament host this thread. This "no custom control config" thing is absolutely ridiculous. It gives certain characters an unfair advantage when there are no custom controls allowed. Ganon having a tap jump on (for lagless dairs) is the same as Yoshi having tap jump off (for egg toss recovery), and his rule would give Ganon an unfair controller advantage.

bigman40

Smash Master
lol, here's the respond from them.

"It's easier to just not use them at all because there's already discrepancies about it, as well as ways to abuse button mapping, IE B-sticking as mentioned above.

The only reason I have yet to see for using custom controls is to make inputting commands easier. Now, in a competitive game, people win through use of skill and tactics. Skill comes from doing something that not everyone can do, doing something impressive given the restriction of the game. Now, if you allow people to change their controls they are removing some of these restrictions. They can now execute DeDeDe's chain grab "easier", can now grab shields "faster" off of a jelly-bean button. By changing your control scheme, you are removing some of the skill from the game, removing some of it's competitiveness.

If you can give me a valid reason for being able to use custom controls other than "because the game lets me" or "because it makes this easier", then again, I'll look into it and give you my answer on Thursday, but as of now, my decision stands."

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643

"It's easier to just not use them at all because there's already discrepancies about it, as well as ways to abuse button mapping, IE B-sticking as mentioned above.

The only reason I have yet to see for using custom controls is to make inputting commands easier. Now, in a competitive game, people win through use of skill and tactics. Skill comes from doing something that not everyone can do, doing something impressive given the restriction of the game. Now, if you allow people to change their controls they are removing some of these restrictions. They can now execute DeDeDe's chain grab "easier", can now grab shields "faster" off of a jelly-bean button. By changing your control scheme, you are removing some of the skill from the game, removing some of it's competitiveness.

If you can give me a valid reason for being able to use custom controls other than "because the game lets me" or "because it makes this easier", then again, I'll look into it and give you my answer on Thursday, but as of now, my decision stands."
What? Are you freaking KIDDING me? That's not what tournaments are about! We're not doing combo or glitch videos, here! We're not trying to "impress" anyone by doing something incredibly flashy or hard to do! We're trying to win matches, man!

Let's face it - a lot of high-class tournament players have a downright UGLY style, and use only the most practical techniques in order to win their games. Hell, Yoshi's wavedash has been out for awhile, but very few Yoshi players actually use it.

The fact of the matter is that you do what it takes to WIN, not what it takes to "impress" people. It's just STUPID to think any other way.

More to the point, it is COMPLETELY UNFAIR to create arbitrary restrictions and force some players to completely change their playing styles just because you don't like their controller setup! And I can't stress this enough.

For instance, what if I were to host a tournament, but I told everyone that uses Tap Jump that for the course of their competition, they must hold their controllers upside-down? The people that don't use Tap Jump aren't effected and don't have to adjust THEIR play styles, thus it creates a COMPLETELY UNFAIR advantage for them.

If one controller setup is inherently "better" for a certain character and/or player, there is absolutely NO ****ING REASON not to use it!

If you're going to arbitrarily force players to limit themselves, why not just force everyone to use the Wiimote without the Nunchuk while you're at it?

Bottom line: there is no good reason for this rule, NO COMPETITIVE SMASH PLAYER WOULD EVER ENDORSE IT, and there is no logical justification for even considering such a lopsided decision.

Tell them what I just said, word for word.

(Edit: As a matter of fact, PM me with the forum/contact information, and I'll talk to them myself. I wouldn't mind chewing this guy out personally.)

bigman40

Smash Master
I'll use your quote if they still refuse to listen. In competitive nature (using Sirlin's book), they're scrubs trying to make a game more "competitive" when you're making it worse. Most people that I play with (not them though) agree with my reasons, and think that it's stupid to limit one's game cause you think they should do it their way.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Yeah, that's cool. Send them my way and I'll tear into them, too. Like I said, I use the DEFAULT setup, and this still ticks me off.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
More to the point, it is COMPLETELY UNFAIR to create arbitrary restrictions and force some players to completely change their playing styles just because you don't like their controller setup! And I can't stress this enough.

For instance, what if I were to host a tournament, but I told everyone that uses Tap Jump that for the course of their competition, they must hold their controllers upside-down? The people that don't use Tap Jump aren't effected and don't have to adjust THEIR play styles, thus it creates a COMPLETELY UNFAIR advantage for them.

If one controller setup is inherently "better" for a certain character and/or player, there is absolutely NO ****ING REASON not to use it!

If you're going to arbitrarily force players to limit themselves, why not just force everyone to use the Wiimote without the Nunchuk while you're at it?

Bottom line: there is no good reason for this rule, NO COMPETITIVE SMASH PLAYER WOULD EVER ENDORSE IT, and there is no logical justification for even considering such a lopsided decision.

Tell them what I just said, word for word.

(Edit: As a matter of fact, PM me with the forum/contact information, and I'll talk to them myself. I wouldn't mind chewing this guy out personally.)
Now this is a GREAT argument! Exacly what I was trying to say, but WAY better.

KiwiBear

Smash Rookie
If I had to play a tournament like this, I'd let the hoster have a nice kick where the sun don't shine.
I've never seen such a stupid anology.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman

lol what a bunch of bullsh*t. B-sticking is a horrible example of an 'abuse' because you can wavebounce without your specials assigned to the c-stick anyways. Tell them to give you some real answers, until then they're just full of it.

Changing controller schemes does not give a player an advantage over the other because both players are able to change their control schemes as they deem fit. I won't repeat 0rion's post because I couldn't put it any better.

Sharky

Smash Master
Bah, I say just host your own tourney. School hosted ones are never really top quality, anyway. =P

Chaco

Never Logs In
Scat we should meet up halfway between us and host a tourney.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
Explain to him that saying you aren't allowed to choose your controller scheme is like saying you aren't allowed to choose your character. I wish he knew how much of a n00b he is...

Chaco

Never Logs In
We do need more tourney Yoshi's so I think this would be a good idea (even though I have no say in this.)
True, but y'see. I can;t hold tourneys....way to young. all competitive smashers near me travel to Memphis, where the smash scene is at.

Depster

Smash Champion
tell the guy he's full of it.
I have a lot of tourney-goer friends and I've asked before if custom controls are allowed and they are all like lol why wouldn't they be?

bigman40

Smash Master
I got a gaming store to allow me to host some smash tournaments there. So, if I can get in good with them, then I can probably make them Biweeklies for the college year. Things are looking a little higher up!

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Awesome! Are you going to scoop the other tournament and steal their customers?

bigman40

Smash Master
I'm gonna most likely take them anyway. It's not School related, so I can actually have cash as the prize. That alone will make more people come.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Meh, prolly to far away...although Ill try to make a smash community like you are. I'll see what I can do. Let alone if all else fails Ill get Iori and Infitan to help me.

Top Bottom