• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question to competitive players and casuals

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
This is a bit different from the "What are you going to do when Brawl comes out?" thread.

What I would like to know is after you get Brawl, is when are you going to jump into the competitive scene? Will you start customizing your controls and playing competitive matches online within a week, or are you going to wait until everything is completely done in the game?

Casuals: Same question, but do you think, seeing as Brawl is a new game, that you might try to get into the competitive scene eventually, since everyone is basically starting out fresh as well?

Personally, I'm probably not going to worry about competitive matches for a while. I'll join the Brawl ladder on GB asap, but for the most part I will play casually. I'm going to unlock everyone and everything and just play every stage, play multiplayer with Pokeballs and Assist trophies on high, locally with my friends for the most part. It will probably be a good 2 months before I start, for then I will be practicing for whenever MLG Chicago is.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I'm gonna try unlocking everything then start figuring things out with Sonic, Bowser, and if Jesus loves me, Megaman.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
I'm gonna try unlocking everything then start figuring things out with Sonic, Bowser, and if Jesus loves me, Megaman.
That's pretty much the same for Mookie, save for Bowser. I want to play through all the modes and see how all the characters play before I go online and see who I'm best with and how good I really am.

Zink

Smash Champion
1. Unlock Ike.
2. Obtain frame data.
3. ???
4. Profit!

I'm definitely gonna unlock a lot of stuff, and just generally mess around, while I get competitive stuff set up. I'm not spending ALL my time on either. It'll be a split, a delicious ice cream and AWESOME split.

Coselm

Smash Ace
Ummm...

Well I think I will try to unlock everything and get as much out of single player as I can.

Then I will probably start playing with my friends and online.

And be competitive after maybe 2-3 months.

I jsut would really like to get the single player out of the way, because I know once I start playing online, I won't want to stop.

SJAK47

Smash Journeyman
I never played competitive, but with the new online feature and seeing how the characters will be more balanced, I am thinking about shifting over to the competitive side.

But in the mean time, until everything is done and I unlock the secrets and whatnot, I will play casual as a way of getting used to things.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking of maining Dedede and finding local tournaments, but I won't start until after the Brawl competitive scene kicks off.

I've been interested in playing competitively for a while, but was never really confident enough... I think Brawl could change that.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
1. Unlock Ike.
2. Obtain frame data.
3. ???
4. Profit!

I'm definitely gonna unlock a lot of stuff, and just generally mess around, while I get competitive stuff set up. I'm not spending ALL my time on either. It'll be a split, a delicious ice cream and AWESOME split.
My guess is that Ike is a default character

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
Ike most likely won't be default because he has never been in a smash game before.
And I guess Dedede isn't either, even though he's in the first event match. And ZSS certainly isn't. And Pit isn't either!

And I didn't know Ice Climbers were unlockable in Melee. Or Peach. Or Bowser. Or Zelda.

slikvik

Smash Master
**** MD/VA. I have no region. no really...
the current melee competitive scene will probably start holding tournaments for brawl as soon as it is released. these tournaments are likely to feature both melee and brawl.

edit: ill probably be competing in both immediately

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Is that sarcasm?
No.

Sorry. Had to do it. lol

And I don't really play Competitively, but I don't consider myself "casual." More like semi-hardcore! But I'll be customizing my controls most likely, and I'll be jumping into online, so I can possibly get my skills straight so I can be a tourney-goer for Brawl.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
You can eat your words if he is an unlockable.
I highly doubt that. He was the first character revealed on the DOJO (which has no spoiler warning even though Sakurai dislikes spoilers and leaks), he doesn't garner hype like third-party characters, and he was playable in the demo. He's also the only Fire Emblem character revealed so far, to go with Castle Siege and the Fire Emblem music.

Unless you're going to tell me Castle Siege is unlockable too.

And how do you know what the first event match is?
Why, I just don't know!

Takalth

Smash Ace
Basically, I'll play in whichever way I have the most fun, just as i do in Melee.

Most likely, that means tournament-style settings + a few more stages and items on very low.

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
I'd personally want to unlock everything, then see how it all works. Depending on hazards and such, you can generally determine if the stage will be normally in a tournament or a counter. Characters you can find all the moves and know what to watch out for. And generally right before any tournament of the game, I'd start finding out combos for the character I'm maining or consider a secondary.

Timat the Slayer

Smash Journeyman
I'd obviously unlock everything first, then probably play some online with friends..after that though, I'm thinking I'd stick to person to person multiplayer and running tests on the characters so I can get an idea on how all their moves are and their hitboxes and stuff is.

After I figure out a lot of the character mechanics...To the Competitive scene!

Albiel

Smash Apprentice
First thing I'm doing getting home is selecting my character (Pit) and going online.

Yes, without seeing how he works first, I'll figure it out as I get pwned.

Eaode

Smash Champion
When Brawl first comes, hell yeah I'm playing casual. Tons of new items and stages and characters to discover ^_^. It's gonna be awesome.

Probably after the first month or later I'll start to get serious. Of course I'm attending an online tourney like two weeks after it launches o.o;

Luigi player

Smash Master
I don't want to start playing competitive until I unlocked everything and I'm used to the games new speed and floatiness and everything. I'll probably play much with some friends just for fun... later we'll start playing competitive I guess.

Xenesis

Smash Journeyman
It was decreed by my gaming friends that the first match of Brawl be 'Super Serious Business Brawl'.

Then I assume we'll start playing somewhat normally. XD

Spellman

Smash Ace
I want to find a character that I like A.S.A.P., master him and claim him as my own before my friends do. Although, I'm the kind of person who likes to pick a character that nobody likes and master him anyways.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Like MookieRah, I'll go and find out how to unlock all the characters and stages. Of course, I'll play with items to see what they're like and then I'll play competitively online for the majority of the time. Items from time to time wouldn't hurt for me. :) Also, I want to go to tournaments as well when I get a car or if I get a ride from a friend or my parents.

mattram08

Smash Apprentice
I'm going unlock all the characters and stages first. Then I'll play locally with a bunch of my friends for a while. I'll get online as soon as I can, but right now my Wii isn't connected to the internet and my DSL router isn't anywhere near its current location, so I'm gonna have to work a few things out before I can get online with the rest of you guys.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
First things first... I will unlock everything until they are ALL open. Then I will start learning characters in depth.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Muahah, Buzz once again posts the same thing I did in different words.
We have a nasty habit of doing that around each other.
*starts ripping apartment apart searching for spy-cams*

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
1) Unlock all the characters
2) Find the worst character in the game
3) Enter competitive scene with said character

I do this in every smash pretty much lol.

SSB: Samus
SSBM: G&W
SSBB: Wario?

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
1) Get game

2) Jack off that I got the game

3) Play first battle

4) Jack off (if I'm able to at that moment) that I played first battle

5) Unlock everything

6) Play a mixture of competitive and casual for years

7) Jack off to future posts of competitive vs casuals

And secretly, you all know that you guys would be doing the same thing lol

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
February 10, 2008 - Buy Brawl.
February 11, 2008 - Buy Brawl again.

pdk

Smash Lord
most likely nothing until i start attending whichever university i end up transfering to; the only place here that's likely to have comp in anything is the w&j campus, driving 40+ minutes weekly to play is not especially pleasant right now

Top Bottom