• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question for Kirby mainers

brawlerbrad91

Smash Journeyman
who would you say is the hardest matchup for kirby, or what type of characters fare well against him? i think it's a him, but anyways, I am using Zelda and Pikachu so far and I need a third character to use for gamebattles matches.

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman
MK, Wario, G&W, and Zelda are pretty tough for me. Marth is pretty dependent on how spammy the player is himself, so hes just whatever.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Rob is like kirby but with hax so hes the worst so far =/

Metaknight I am actually getting used to now... if he dashes you can counter anything he can do from a dash with inhale its sick then just spit him out. Defensive and offensive at same time :)

Zanon

Smash Rookie
I main an offensive Kirby, so characters that can play a long range game always give me trouble. :urg: Zelda, Link, Toon Link, ect...

Basic

Smash Cadet
In my opinion, I think it really depends on how well the person you go up against is good with their character. I have friends that are good with different characters and I have a hard time going up against each of them.

Plasmaexe

Smash Apprentice
Not really the hardest, But a really good Lucario player that plays so defensively is pretty hard to go up against @_@. Compared to most other characters, his roll dodging moves very fast and far on the ground, making it hard to punish (if you try predicting that he'll roll behind you, chances are he'll move too far out of range for your Forward Smash to hit), plus his smash is perfect for people who roll a lot and down aerial attacks so fast that it rivals Kirby's Up air in speed (not priority)

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Anyone who has good reach or spammy projectiles. Floaty characters are harder to combo, which is Kirby's main strength. Characters who fit this category well include Meta Knight, Marth, Zelda, and Toon Link. And then there's always Snake.

Vulcan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaberVulcan
Pikachu, Marth, G&W are the only characters ive noticed I have a real hard time fighting, and sometimes Toon Link (But I play so many and i usually win, so /shrug)

DarKirby92

Smash Cadet
I find it a challenge to fight long battles against Zamus. I guess cuz she is always running away since she sucks at close combat and Kirby needs to be close, and its a pain. But yea, long-range characters are b@#$es

GaleForce

Smash Rookie
Plasmaexe said:
Not really the hardest, But a really good Lucario player that plays so defensively is pretty hard to go up against @_@. Compared to most other characters, his roll dodging moves very fast and far on the ground, making it hard to punish (if you try predicting that he'll roll behind you, chances are he'll move too far out of range for your Forward Smash to hit), plus his smash is perfect for people who roll a lot and down aerial attacks so fast that it rivals Kirby's Up air in speed (not priority)
I'd like to echo this and also place some attention to Lucario. I've only played a few (Though I'm not sure that they were exactly great), but they did seem to give me trouble. Maybe it's due to a lack of understanding about Lucario, but does anyone know of anything that gives Kirby and edge over him?

One problem lies within apporaching a defensive Lucario thanks to Aura Sphere, or at least from my experience. Even though my experience isn't exactly much.

And on another note, Kirby vs Lucario is one of the only Kirby match-ups with a "?" by it one the Match-Up Chart, if that matters to anyone.

Plasmaexe

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to echo this and also place some attention to Lucario. I've only played a few (Though I'm not sure that they were exactly great), but they did seem to give me trouble. Maybe it's due to a lack of understanding about Lucario, but does anyone know of anything that gives Kirby and edge over him?

One problem lies within approaching a defensive Lucario thanks to Aura Sphere, or at least from my experience. Even though my experience isn't exactly much.

And on another note, Kirby vs Lucario is one of the only Kirby match-ups with a "?" by it one the Match-Up Chart, if that matters to anyone.
Lucario's recovery is slow enough to gimp (extreme speed has pretty slow start up and is pretty easy to interrupt without having to worry about getting hit by something like Fire Fox). Though the Lucario I fought is pretty good at avoiding me in the air while recovering ><, but at the same time, I get button lag and that does screw me up plenty of times when I try to avoid getting juggled by Lucario in the air (It's a Lag John @_@).

Just note Kirby does get the Aura ability (aura sphere is stronger at higher percent and charges faster) and it can be used against Lucarios that keep roll dodging away.

Personally though, I wouldn't say Marth is that hard of a challenge, considering how it's pretty hard for him to tip Kirby since he's such a small character and attacks get stale after too many uses. Plus his recovery is probably one of the easiest to gimp since it comes out so fast and only in one hit and air dodging would give him less time to use his Up B when already close to the stage so he's bound to take a hit from you or fall to his death.. For the most part, you'd be fine if you were to stay in the middle of the stage considering he doesn't really have any reliable vertical knockback. He's basically all about tipping and spitting them under the stage when it's least expected works extremely well if you can get it to work. And I have played plenty of Marth players, some who are really good and I couldn't really beat easily without using Kirby ><.

I'd say though that Snake is overall probably the hardest character I've played with Metaknight coming in second and Lucario somewhere in there. **** super armor lasts so freakin long with the Cypher >_>.

Arcanejazz

Smash Apprentice
MK and g&w are tough matchups for me.

-hiro
MK counters everyone, lmao. How it seems anyway :chuckle:

I main an offensive Kirby, so characters that can play a long range game always give me trouble. :urg: Zelda, Link, Toon Link, ect...
Good air dodging elimnates a lot of their threat. My friends play all these characters, the toughest is Zelda because she has more control of when she can detonate her Din's Fire than the bomb boys.

In my opinion, I think it really depends on how well the person you go up against is good with their character. I have friends that are good with different characters and I have a hard time going up against each of them.
Maybe you just suck ;] hehe. Well, obviously though, if a person is outstanding with a character and you arent with yours, there is a good chance youll be outclassed in overall skill. thats why we gots ta PRACTICE PRACTICE :D

Anyone who has good reach or spammy projectiles. Floaty characters are harder to combo, which is Kirby's main strength. Characters who fit this category well include Meta Knight, Marth, Zelda, and Toon Link. And then there's always Snake.
Too true... Snake is the bane of us all, lmao. What a beast ! XD And Marth's f-air chase seems to mess with kirby pretty bad, once Marth gets a good spam groove on, in the right % range it feels like theres nothing you can do about it >_<

Pikachu, Toonie, Snake, MK, Marth, G-Dub.
Ive been seeing all of these characters as amazing counters to like everyone in the game, just about. Pikachu has some outstanding cheese, i cant wait to see the SBR release more finding on these guys, especially pikachu.

Snake is really hard for me, but I think I suck so w/e.
lol maybe. but good snakes are hard for everyone. hes just too manly for poor little kirby haha.

Pikachu and Marth
Pika cuz of Jolt
Marth cuz of everything else. But still beatable
Marth cuz of everything, haha. too true. Marth is as awesome as ever.

something else id like to add here, is something that i believe to be Kirby's kryptonite: Stool Jumping. Its like being shine spiked in melee, and people that are great at stool jumping (like Pit with his infinity jumps) can seriously destroy Kirby's vertical recovery, its insane. So... If you need a good plan to counter Kirby, Id keep stool jumping in mind. Im not sure how much it affects other characters since i dont use many others, but it sure does mess with my kirby, haha.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
I get the feeling that with kirby as long as you know the matchup well enough theres always a few tricks against a character that make the fight much easier. I tend to lose against characters I am not experienced with. For example metaknight seems much easier as I learn which attacks that outprioritize certain moves from metaknight. I know that a large amount of his approaches while dashing can be countered by inhale and then spit. Short hop inhale counters his dash attack, side b, dash grab, shield grab, and his dashing upsmash.
So I would say I am not quite certain about matchups at the moment as kirby seems to have a few tricks for every character so far... I suppose some fights take more efforts then others so...

The easiest characters would be all the fast falling characters and large characters.
Characters with gimpable recoveries also require little effort for kirby.
Characters kirby can outprioritize in the air are also easy for him.

So here are characters I think do not fit into these categories at all: Metaknight, Pit, Marth, and Rob would be borderline as he has a lot of aerial priority and is really hard to gimp, but kirbys bair still works and Rob is a big target for kirby to combo. Also I think G&W would be right along side Rob. G&W has a good air game, but his upair isn't too great and kirby can generally dair him to a spike. I personally think he is a bit easier the Rob, but he does probably take more effort as he is floaty and has a very good recovery and his bair is ****.
So those are probably kirbys harder matchups.
I know people hate characters with projectiles... but seriously any character that doesnt have a spammable projectile hates characters with projectiles o.o and actually I think kirby has an easier time getting around spam then other characters.
I'm not saying other characters can't be difficult, but I think these characters by their nature take more effort to kill then others.

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
Snake. He can really stay out of Kirby's range and still pummel you using his various explosives, especially C4 and RCM SideB Move, tho that's easily air dodged if you can see it coming...And then there's the FTilt Lock. X.x

But still you could beat Snake if you can pressure him at close range. Snake's Close Range is worse than his long range attacks IMO and his air attacks are slow/need to hit with the full animation to be effective (sans BAir!) So I think you have the advantage there.

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, catch Snake in the air and he's pretty easy to WoP.

Surprised no one has mentioned Ike yet. Dude's so strong he can kill Kirby in 3 or 4 hits.

Marth isn't too bad if you know how to deal with him. But I gotta agree with Meta Knight.

Mike_Echoes

Smash Journeyman
Guys, did you know that if Kirby is ducking he can avoid ALL of Peach's floating attacks EXCEPT her Dair?

Aruseusu

Smash Rookie
I have been loyal to Kirby since Melee, and I'd have to say that the best matchup is another Kirby. No copy abilities, and playing against an opponent who has the same abilities as you is Kirby's best strength, and his worst weakness. That should be obvious, because Kirby is known for stealing abilities.

Other than Kirby, I'd say Samus (either regular or Zero Suit), Jigglypuff, Pit, Meta Knight, Dedede, Wolf, Falco, Pokémon Trainer (any of the three), Snake, or *ugh* Olimar.

Aruseusu

Smash Rookie
(Sorry for the double post)

I don't really have any other humans to play with, so I usually just go up against computers. Today, I tried this match:

Me (Kirby)
CPU Level 8 (Wario)
CPU Level 8 (Meta Knight)
CPU Level 9 (Kirby)
Final Destination
5:00 match

Sudden Death - Me, Wario, and CPU Kirby
I kicked Wario off, and CPU Kirby got me before I could counter. He basically smashed me half a second after I hit Wario. I had no chance.

Anyway, I would agree about Wario and Meta Knight, and I'd still suggest another good Kirby player as an opponent.

n3g4t1v3

Smash Cadet
Rob is like kirby but with hax so hes the worst so far =/

Metaknight I am actually getting used to now... if he dashes you can counter anything he can do from a dash with inhale its sick then just spit him out. Defensive and offensive at same time :)
R.O.B. is the worst I think.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
R.O.B. is the worst I think.
After playing hugs and blitz's R.O.B.s I would have to say they are the worst matchup I've fought yet. Also I played a really good Zelda for the first time and it was a total pain. I think it was more just because it was the first time I played a Zelda though and I was rushing in foolishly because of dins fire spam and getting nailed by her smashes :(

However I tried Metaknight and it was much easier but I guess thats cause of his speed and range so it makes it easier to be agressive. I suppose I just need to be more patient against defensive Zeldas.

storm92

Smash Ace
Meta, R.O.B., and Marth for me.

If its a really good Ike, then its extremely hard to win.

OBanner

Smash Rookie
Well, I have alot of trouble with Jigglypuff, its really hard to combo them and their bair screws up your gimping like crazy.

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
I don't have a ton of trouble with any real character, but Metaknight and G&W can be tough.

chingy

Smash Apprentice
also idont have any problems with slow characters like ganondorf, ddd ,etc.

DarKirby92

Smash Cadet
Well, I have alot of trouble with Jigglypuff, its really hard to combo them and their bair screws up your gimping like crazy.
Yea, for some wierd reason, Jigglypuff is tougher than i thought she would be. I guess it's cuz Kirby's combos are gone with her, like O Banner said.

Top Bottom