• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question for 3DS-ers: Marth and Lucina Matchup

Status
Not open for further replies.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Besides Link's overall improvement, I've been curious about how Marth fairs agains the roster... Specifically against Lucina. However, as a non-DS scrub, I can't get any hands on experience.

So are the claims true? Is she a better choice than marth?

Designs

Smash Cadet
I have racked up about 50 straight wins in For Glory 1v1 with Marth and Lucina against the cheapest players online. It wasn't until I started playing Marth/Lucina that I had such a winning streak. They are drastically underrated. I would say Marth is the better choice. I will alternate matches with them and Marth just seems to kills faster. Marth vs Lucina is pretty even. Imagine a Roy like character with the speed of Marth.

MitoRequiem

Smash Cadet
Marth is overall the better choice imo, Especially if you can hit the tipper often I've played tons of games with Marth and yeah I don't really see why people think he's terrible I kinda feel like people made stuff up to make Lucina look better lol. My non-bias advice though is If you wanna play an Aggro Marth where you don't really have to worry about spacing probably should pick Lucina. If you actually want to space and kill early and what not I'd say pick Marth.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
Marth > Lucina, especially when you realize that Marth is still incredibly agile.

He's gonna do very well against the cast. I don't think he has any particularly hard match ups. Many that are even / close to even, but nothing scary.

MitoRequiem

Smash Cadet
Marth > Lucina, especially when you realize that Marth is still incredibly agile.

He's gonna do very well against the cast. I don't think he has any particularly hard match ups. Many that are even / close to even, but nothing scary.
Yeah I'd agree with that, Honestly only troubles I've had in terms of characters MUs is Greninja, Yoshi, Shiek and defensive Little Mac. but I think that's more so my lack of understanding how to deal with certain characters I dunno. I come from SFIV and KOF and it's really hard for me to figure out what to do in some situations when it comes to Smash. Played all the games like "casual competitive" I guess? aka I went to tournaments played with friends but never really looked up info.

Muttley

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3695-0540-9836
For me, the most difficult MUs for Marth/Lucina in this game are projectile spammers like Greninja and Robin. Marth gets easy KOs on slow characters and melee-based characters. Lucina is better if you're not so great at spacing, but Marth is better overall. Sorry, Luci. I still love you QQ

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
For me, the most difficult MUs for Marth/Lucina in this game are projectile spammers like Greninja and Robin. Marth gets easy KOs on slow characters and melee-based characters. Lucina is better if you're not so great at spacing, but Marth is better overall. Sorry, Luci. I still love you QQ
Maybe it's because I've never played a good Robin, but eh. I haven't had that hard of a time. Greninja, I can agree with, though. I'd rather just use Sheik for that matchup, XD.

Muttley

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3695-0540-9836
Maybe it's because I've never played a good Robin, but eh. I haven't had that hard of a time. Greninja, I can agree with, though. I'd rather just use Sheik for that matchup, XD.
Good Robins **** me right up with unexpected close range arcfires. And my approach game with Marth absolutely cannot handle el/arcthunders. Thoron is nasty in the laggier matches, too, when I can't jump in time. I probably just need more practice.

Last edited:

MitoRequiem

Smash Cadet
Honestly I dunno if this would work in high level play but against zoning characters I tend to play really REALLY REALLY patient and it becomes a battle of who is gonna lose their **** first? Is the zoning character gonna say "screw this" and try and rushdown for a fast win/lose?

I can usually play patiently or find an opening against Duckhunt Duo, Sheik, Robin(Honestly never played a good Robin lol) and Greninja(annoying pls remove from game)

One weird character I struggle against is Wii Fit Trainer but I think that's more so my lack of understanding what the character can do and what I should do lol

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
Lucina gets wrecked by Marth. Marth is the better choice.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815

You know their frame data is the same right? xD So their agility is exactly the same.

Lucina gets wrecked by Marth. Marth is the better choice.
Both Lucina and Marth are viable for their own reasons, but Marth is fundamentally better. So we make of that as we will, just don't assume that Marth vs Lucina is like a 100 - 0 MU or anything xD

Besides Link's overall improvement, I've been curious about how Marth fairs agains the roster... Specifically against Lucina. However, as a non-DS scrub, I can't get any hands on experience.

So are the claims true? Is she a better choice than marth?
Please refer to this for the actual property differences, and you can make of it as you wish:
http://smashboards.com/threads/before-you-ask-the-differences-between-marth-and-lucina.376180/

Marth, besides having to think more, has a lot going for him against most of the cast. However, fast characters can ruin his day, and against a semi ditto match like Lucina, will pretty much be evened out (though it is tilted in Marth's favor). Floaty and short characters can mess up some of his setups/combos, but otherwise aren't too bad to deal with. Heavy characters... let's just say Marth can do as he wishes like he had to them in the past ^^" Though that last remark can be taken with a grain of salt, since I'm yet to really look into the matter.

Anyways, I hope this answers your question (cus the last two times people have asked this very question, it's led to some pretty nasty drama that I'd prefer you be spared of ^^").

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Haha thanks I appreciate it. I was curious because I semi-mained Marth in melee, mained him and Ike in Brawl, and haven't used him in Smash 4 yet. I definitely like his design much better in this game so hopefully that can reflect on how good he is lol

Plus, the inclusion of Lucina got to me... I see a lot more Lucina's than I do Marth's these days

Last edited:

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Haha thanks I appreciate it. I was curious because I semi-mained Marth in melee, mained him and Ike in Brawl, and haven't used him in Smash 4 yet. I definitely like his design much better in this game so hopefully that can reflect on how good he is lol

Plus, the inclusion of Lucina got to me... I see a lot more Lucina's than I do Marth's these days
As long as you keep in mind the commitment moves that Marth has now compared to before, your transition to Smash 4 Marth will be just fine xD Oh yes, his design has certainly improved, though one wonders at what cost...

Lucina's popularity is mostly credited to her appearance in the recent FE game, but her lack of tipper mechanics can be good or bad depending on how you want to look at it. I tilt with Marth because of character loyalties more than anything else, as I do see Lucina more or less fine in her own right.

To be honest, I much prefer that Marths are a bit harder to find now, since that will separate the loyal Marth players from those hunting for "top tier" characters for the sake of winning and stuff. A small but strong community. Marth isn't as good as he use to be, but he still has great potential

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
You know their frame data is the same right? xD So their agility is exactly the same.

Both Lucina and Marth are viable for their own reasons, but Marth is fundamentally better. So we make of that as we will, just don't assume that Marth vs Lucina is like a 100 - 0 MU or anything xD

Please refer to this for the actual property differences, and you can make of it as you wish:
http://smashboards.com/threads/before-you-ask-the-differences-between-marth-and-lucina.376180/

Marth, besides having to think more, has a lot going for him against most of the cast. However, fast characters can ruin his day, and against a semi ditto match like Lucina, will pretty much be evened out (though it is tilted in Marth's favor). Floaty and short characters can mess up some of his setups/combos, but otherwise aren't too bad to deal with. Heavy characters... let's just say Marth can do as he wishes like he had to them in the past ^^" Though that last remark can be taken with a grain of salt, since I'm yet to really look into the matter.

Anyways, I hope this answers your question (cus the last two times people have asked this very question, it's led to some pretty nasty drama that I'd prefer you be spared of ^^").
Marth is Lucina's hardest matchup. She literally can't compete. Everything about how he works is in his favor in comparison to Lucina, considering they play almost 100% the same. Lucina has easier to execute attack strings, but Marth rewards for spacing so much more and can kill so much earlier than I can be at 200% before Lucina kills me, and I accidentally kill her with a tipper f smash at 20% (rage provided).

She gits rkt. I'm not saying she's awful, she's okay in her own right, but she can't keep up. Plus, she lacks some vertical range, so Marth can hit in some places that she can't. Other than that, Marth is going to kill with an offstage nair at reliable percents, Lucina can only look enviously at him as he does. (No rage on Marth, it nearly kills on ledge at 120%. Lucina takes atleast 150 off stage, and that is near the blast zone. Near the stage, it takes almost 200%.)

Marth just beats her out. It'll depend on the players, but Marth always has the advantage and Lucina has to work 10 times as hard to pull out a victory against Marth.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Marth is Lucina's hardest matchup. She literally can't compete. Everything about how he works is in his favor in comparison to Lucina, considering they play almost 100% the same. Lucina has easier to execute attack strings, but Marth rewards for spacing so much more and can kill so much earlier than I can be at 200% before Lucina kills me, and I accidentally kill her with a tipper f smash at 20% (rage provided).

She gits rkt. I'm not saying she's awful, she's okay in her own right, but she can't keep up. Plus, she lacks some vertical range, so Marth can hit in some places that she can't. Other than that, Marth is going to kill with an offstage nair at reliable percents, Lucina can only look enviously at him as he does. (No rage on Marth, it nearly kills on ledge at 120%. Lucina takes atleast 150 off stage, and that is near the blast zone. Near the stage, it takes almost 200%.)

Marth just beats her out. It'll depend on the players, but Marth always has the advantage and Lucina has to work 10 times as hard to pull out a victory against Marth.
I only meant to assert that the match up isn't completely unwinnable xD Like the way you put it sounded like Lucina had none, but without tone, my joke sorta lost its meaning.

But really, her range is a little less than Marth, but both of their speed is the same. Indeed Marth has a better chance of killing Lucina, but on the principle of speed, both can mess each other up when setups and traps are involved. Because they play the same, it balances nearly like a ditto match does. Marth unquestionably has the advantage, but realistically, her chances against Marth are not as bad as you make it sound is all xD

Last edited:

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
I only meant to assert that the match up isn't completely unwinnable xD Like the way you put it sounded like Lucina had none, but without tone, my joke sorta lost its meaning.

But really, her range is a little less than Marth, but both of their speed is the same. Indeed Marth has a better chance of killing Lucina, but on the principle of speed, both can mess each other up when setups and traps are involved. Because they play the same, it balances nearly like a ditto match does. Marth unquestionably has the advantage, but realistically, her chances against Marth are not as bad as you make it sound is all xD
Eh, they really are. If the skill is even between two players, and one choses luci and the other Marth, Marth is going to win. She can't kill. I was playing CF against a Lucina, and mid match I gave up and started backflipping and throwing out the Knee and falcon punching.
I was at 160%. She could not kill me no matter what she did for a whole nearly 40 seconds.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I can attest to this. Also the better the Lucina is at spacing, the match-up actually gets scarier. Now she has to fear getting tippered and dying at 90%. She is forced to rush Marth, but that's not ideal as she is not that kind of character and she is one of the more unsafe characters in the game on block.

It's bad for her either way.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Eh, they really are. If the skill is even between two players, and one choses luci and the other Marth, Marth is going to win. She can't kill. I was playing CF against a Lucina, and mid match I gave up and started backflipping and throwing out the Knee and falcon punching.
I was at 160%. She could not kill me no matter what she did for a whole nearly 40 seconds.
But that's only based on your own experience, not accounting for the dozens of other players that may have seen different (competitive or otherwise). From my own experience, Lucina is just fine securing kills, about the same with Marth. It may take longer with either, depending on the opponent (character choice, not a matter of skill per say) and my spacing at that point, but I don't think Lucina will have too much trouble over Marth with getting kills on anyone else. It's just the Marth vs Lucina MU that's rather puzzling xD

Though in the end it doesn't really matter for me; speculation of the actual MU I can leave to you guys. Just voicing a concern here xD

I can attest to this. Also the better the Lucina is at spacing, the match-up actually gets scarier. Now she has to fear getting tippered and dying at 90%. She is forced to rush Marth, but that's not ideal as she is not that kind of character and she is one of the more unsafe characters in the game on block.

It's bad for her either way.
On this however, the point does make sense. Perhaps they made her reach slightly shorter to keep her from going into exact tipper distance, and the balanced sword so she can be right at Marth's face, or at least what they had hoped for. This point will render the spacing option on Marth's favor, and both of their speeds are equal so there's also that. I personally still tilt with it being slightly in Marth's favor (like that one poster put, a 40-60 in Marth's favor I believe). But to hold my own values true, I really shouldn't care about the numbers and MUs xD I'mma just go in and play, so you guys handle dem MU discussions

Last edited:

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
Yeah, that's kind of the point I'm making. I know many people were complaining about him feeling sluggish but he's just as agile as her and she's pretty fast.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Lucina played optimally dies to Marth played optimally as low as half the percent.
That's 65:35 or worse just by (rudimentary) logic.

There is literally not a single thing Lucina can press in the match up to her advantage. Every thing she does in the match up, Marth does numerically 25% better and it stacks up over the course of clash/interaction that last throughout a match.

Not understanding this shows a lack of comprehension on how match ups + risk/reward actually work in fighting games.

Last edited:

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Lucina played optimally dies to Marth played optimally as low as half the percent.
That's 65:35 or worse just by (rudimentary) logic.

There is literally not a single thing Lucina can press in the match up to her advantage. Every thing she does in the match up, Marth does numerically 25% better and it stacks up over the course of clash/interaction that last throughout a match.

Not understanding this shows a lack of comprehension on how match ups + risk/reward actually work in fighting games.
Though to add on, the human factor does come into play, and despite the MU difference, it does not necessarily dictate the outcome of every match.

We must factor the condition of both players, their fighting styles (as optimal can be quite subjective by the player's standards, depending on the MU), and understanding their characters well enough to pull this off. Lucina still needs stuff done to her before this harsh reality can be overturned, that much can be admitted. However, we still do not know if beeing fully spaced is optimal for Lucina vs Marth MU specifically (as both rely on spacing for everyone else). Her balanced sword damage/knockback and less of a need to space may be the key to tipping the scales; not by much, but it is an undeniable possibility.

It may show a lack of understanding of MU + Risk/Reward logic, but data will only go so far. This is why M2K still loses at points, despite having the MU advantage and frame data memorized to a tee.

And that'll do for the Lucina defense for now xD people make of all this as you all will.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Your naivety is cute, but time and tournaments will fix you.

Human factors can be taken into account in a match up ratio. But you have nothing to show for that being remotely applicable.

Last edited:

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Your naivety is cute, but time and tournaments will fix you.

Naivety is one thing, underestimating a person's potential against another's potential is a completely different story. Ignoring the human factor in tournaments is not necessarily logical either. Reliance on data alone cannot speak for everything and every person, of that I can assure you. We can compile data, but people change, they do not stay the same forever in terms of fighting game ability. Patches also throw a wrench in the permanency of your statement too. I'm only stating that not everything can placed with certainty, and that MU will only reflect the current state of it when excluding the human factor and assuming that both players are playing optimally by your standards.

EDIT: since you were looking for evidence to prove my statement, may I remind you about that match between Mr.E and M2K? It was Diddy vs Marth, where it was in Diddy's favor and yet he still lost. Arguably M2K is the best Diddy out there as well. And besides, you have yet to knock down the possibility of it either. Though what you're asking in terms of proving I'm not entirely sure of xD

But we agree to disagree, that much is certain xD

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
What a match up number is and how it is played in tournament are two separate things. Coming in with Phoenix Wright sprites doesn't add anything to your argument, considering you're not basing things off logic nor example, I find the use quite dubious.

Last edited:

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
What a match up number is and how it is played in tournament are two separate things. Coming in with Phoenix Wright sprites doesn't add anything to your argument, considering you're not basing things off logic nor example, I find the use quite dubious.
I'm only using it to lighten the mood so people don't get the wrong idea xD It hardly adds anything to the point I am making, but I thought to add some flavour to the conversation.

Like I initially said, I'm not arguing that the MU assessment is completely wrong. It is still greatly in Marth's favor. But there is still the possibility that the numbers can shift, and more importantly, that it does not reflect the outcome of every match. Some take MUs like they do complete fact, and so I bring up these points for people to ponder on.

I'd argue that there is logic in my questioning, but how about we call it the agree to disagree here? I doubt either of us will be moved by the other's opinion (as demonstrated by previous discussions like this)

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
You can ask me to agree/admit that things can change. Somethings I consider baseline assumptions, those are one of them.

I'd rather us not have a second generation of match ups being based on 'feels'. Meta Knight's existence destroyed and damaged a lot of things, because there was no way to get people to agree to 'literal' numbers for match ups when he existed (because MK would've then had 60:40s at worse, maybe even 65:35 at worse and scaling upwards). If you have a 65:35 or worse, you should be fully aware that it's still winnable, you're just going to need to work your ass off.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
You can ask me to agree/admit that things can change. Somethings I consider baseline assumptions, those are one of them.

I'd rather us not have a second generation of match ups being based on 'feels'. Meta Knight's existence destroyed and damaged a lot of things, because there was no way to get people to agree to 'literal' numbers for match ups when he existed (because MK would've then had 60:40s at worse, maybe even 65:35 at worse and scaling upwards). If you have a 65:35 or worse, you should be fully aware that it's still winnable, you're just going to need to work your *** off.
That's the point xD We need to be sure that people understand the difference between the optimal play and the actual playing itself and how that contributes towards victory or defeat. I state from how you'd describe 'feels' side of things; as such, possibility is something that should be accounted for - on both sides of the MU. I leave MU decisions in yours and the other guys' hands, but I will stand that it is not the end all, be all as some make it out to be (but again, this is personal opinion and not something that all will agree with xD).

You're free to believe as you do, just as I to mine. So as long as both sides of the argument are presented, people can decide for themselves where they will stand on ^^ With that said...

Court is adjorned for the trial of Lucina vs Marth MU. Prosecutor Shaya and Defence Lawyer EternalFlame have now rested our cases. The verdict?

YOU DECIDE xD (though spare us the actual comments, we do this discussion way too many times)

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I can cover everything you've said by saying "65:35 isn't unwinnable", but you haven't provided anything else. I'm pressing this because such naivety is a HUGE pet peeve for me and I don't feel you've provided anything to substantiate your words on this match up whatsoever, but you act as if you have.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Lucina only wins if she is flat out a better player then the Marth player.

But in terms of raw tools, Marth takes it home.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
I can cover everything you've said by saying "65:35 isn't unwinnable", but you haven't provided anything else. I'm pressing this because such naivety is a HUGE pet peeve for me and I don't feel you've provided anything to substantiate your words on this match up whatsoever, but you act as if you have.
Haha, remember that my goal was to clarify that it such MUs are winnable. Never once did I say that the MU was in Lucina's favor by any means, nor did I have the intention of proving otherwise. But people should choose characters the like and stick with them, and an unfortunate truth is that MUs like these sometimes makes people waver on their choice (seen a few myself, and it's usually not a pleasant sight when they start making the tier list or MUs a "how to" recipe for victory). And so, I spoke out on their behalf to defend Lucina's position - regardless of how bad the MU is, there is always that possibility. Indeed, you could have just covered the gist of what I said by saying that line xD but the discussion was fun for me, so I went along with it.

Though I do appologize that I have annoyed you a bit xD but discussion is as discussion is, and stuff like this happens. In the end we can still shake hands at the end of a civil discussion, or at least, I'd like to think we can leave this on friendly terms ^^

Lucina only wins if she is flat out a better player then the Marth player.

But in terms of raw tools, Marth takes it home.
Yep, fundamentally Marth is stronger. Lucina's gotta work hard for that victory, and people need to remember that it is winnable. That's really all I want to argue xD

Folt

Smash Ace
Given the tools they have and the mechanics that separate them (and the ones that are exactly the same for both), I'd agree with Shaya's opinion that the match-up will be something like 65-35 in Marth's favor, if not more. If Lucina tries to space her attacks, she must watch out for tippers, and she'll lose the battle for vertical reach. If she tries to rushdown, Marth can throw out an attack and rack up some damage and/or set up more space between himself and Lucina because their attack speed is the same. Either way, Marth can kill Lucina earlier thanks to his tippers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom