• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question about weaknesses

Tidal

Smash Apprentice
I read in the tier list discussion that G&W isn't really considered a great character anymore by quite a few people. Main point seemed to be that he is "telegraphed" which I took to mean predictable. I've always seen G&W as an amazing character, so I was wodering whether this view is justified. I want to understand what makes G&W not so good.

First off, what is the definition of "telegraphed", really, and why would G&W be more predictable than other characters? If anything his weird way of moving seems to me like very unpredictable. What makes G&W's moves more predictable than, say, Wario's? G&W's moves seem to have no graphic before the hitbox appears which makes them very unpredictable to me.
Also, what are G&W's other main weak points (beside his weight of course)? I think of him as a very well-rounded character, with very fluent movement and moves that are good in every way, but I haven't seen as much of the game as many of you might have. For instance, his Fsmash comes out quite fast, has a lingering hitbox, good range and priority. What's its weak point? If I can understand why G&W isn't as good as I thought he was that would help me a lot.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
wario has more mobility in the air =/

and the reason G&W isn't as good is because alot of people have gotten wise to his common approaches
so he's gone down in tiers
you can be repetitive with other characters and still play safe
but you can't afford to be predictable with G&W or you can easily get your % racked up
and he can be killed very easily if not careful.

in other words...you answered your own question up there lol

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I think Penta's post isn't very helpful at all, so I'll chip in my thoughts on the matter.

First off, what is the definition of "telegraphed", really, and why would G&W be more predictable than other characters? If anything his weird way of moving seems to me like very unpredictable. What makes G&W's moves more predictable than, say, Wario's? G&W's moves seem to have no graphic before the hitbox appears which makes them very unpredictable to me.
Telegraphed is a two part thing. By it, it typically is used to say that G&W's startup on moves is bad OR that the way he spaces himself before a move gives away what he is doing. Perhaps some use it as a combination of the two, but regardless both are off the mark, and even if true they really aren't a problem.

Game & Watch's startup on moves isn't exactly bad at all. If you take all of his moves' startups, you'd probably find that they pan out to be the average startup of other character's movesets. He has his share of slow moves, but he has his quick aerials like Nair/Uair and quick ground moves like Jab/Dtilt, to name a few examples. Now, as for the positioning he does before a move, I find this is more of an issue of the player, not G&W himself. If the user is always using his Turtle at a certain spacing and height, it really does become telegraphed in the sense that the opponent can read ahead of the character. If the G&W user uses mixups, even if it's just using the same move in varying ways, this makes G&W a lot more difficult to read into (and by extension less predictable), so it's not an inherent flaw of the character.

Like you noted, G&W's animations before a move really isn't telegraphed at all. In fact, the starting animations aren't really noticeable in a fight at all. Even on the moves that are slow in startup, in this case his Smashes, his extremely good charge release time ruins things like powershielding on reaction, so you can use this "telegraph problem" as an advantage.

Game & Watch has sick mobility, perhaps not as good as Wario's (though they are both really good for different aspects), and his movepool is quite balanced in that none of his moves are outright bad with the exception of perhaps Judgment, so any claims that he is a predictable or telegraphed character is bizarre to me. The player makes the character predictable. Bad characters have a limited moveset that the player is forced to use (hence seeming predictable), but G&W isn't in this category of limited, bad characters so don't put too much stock into arguments stressing this point.

Also, what are G&W's other main weak points (beside his weight of course)? I think of him as a very well-rounded character, with very fluent movement and moves that are good in every way, but I haven't seen as much of the game as many of you might have.
His weight isn't an extreme flaw; it allows him to not be chaingrabbed as long as other characters, or be comboed as much. With Bucket Breaking, his low weight (tied with Squirtle as the second lightest) is made up for with proper DI. Of course, he still dies pretty early even with that AT, but his mobility and recovery makes it easy to avoid killing situations unless you put yourself out there and he is practically immune to gimping.

His other flaws besides his weight is the lack of being able to set up kill moves in most situations. His smashes are all very good, but they can't be relied on for killing. His Fair is his main go-to kill move, so it's not hard to see that he would be much better if he had more guaranteed setups or a few more reliable options that he could throw out safely.

G&W also enjoys 7 starter stages and a variety of counterpicks, but most regions don't offer this, and are ultimately really conservative. Conservative regions really benefit characters like ICs, Diddy, MK, Snake, and Marth. All top characters that can be overwhelming to most G&W users (ICs less so, but can be a nuisance in conservative regions nonetheless). Meta Knight in particular is cited as being really good on Norfair and is a reason why a lot of TOs ban it, but MK doesn't benefit as much as quite a few lower tiers and a few higher tiered guys as well (G&W and Pikachu).

Lastly, G&W has meh defensive options in rolls and whatever.

You are right to be surprised by the current mentality arising about G&W, though. He is a very good character, but his lack of popularity, and by extension representation, gives him a poorer public image. To top it off, a lot of G&W users in particular are all doom and gloom and feel it necessary to say he is a bad character (which he isn't). He hasn't changed as a character, but the public opinion of him definitely has.

If you are interested in further reading, check out this thread of mine I made a bit ago: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=246884

I hope I answered some things adequately enough. I can answer more if needed, so feel free to ask.

Tidal

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so summarized: lack of reliable kill setups, lack of tournamant-viable stages, lack of defensive options. Thanks, that was what I wanted to know (even though you really seem to represent the optimistic G&W fanbase so I'm not sure how biased you are). I'm not advanced enough yet to understand what makes a good G&W stage and what makes for a bad one though.
Do you have any idea what sparked this negative public opinion? Are G&W players more susceptible to falling into patterns? Or is the interest in him fading and have too few people stood up for him when people named his recent flaws? I'd like to see some more vids of G&W (I've checked out some UTD Zac, for starters), can you name a few other real good ones, especially those that play him in such a way that every move and aspect is used to its maximum (like Xyro plays Samus)?

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Ok, so summarized: lack of reliable kill setups, lack of tournamant-viable stages, lack of defensive options. Thanks, that was what I wanted to know (even though you really seem to represent the optimistic G&W fanbase so I'm not sure how biased you are). I'm not advanced enough yet to understand what makes a good G&W stage and what makes for a bad one though.
Optimistic compared to all the G&W users who thinks he is terrible, I suppose! I don't try and oversell Game & Watch, but my opinions seem radical to a lot because in their heads G&W is a bad character all of a sudden. Though, the first bit in the thread I linked where I said G&W is likely the top 5 best character in the game is exaggerated, so don't dwell on that too much.

Regardless, a good G&W stage isn't too difficult to explain. Pretty much, we strive on interactive stages, whether that means platforms, hazards, both, etc, and we do less well the more linear and "bland" a stage is. Don't get this confused, though; G&W is good on all stages, but he really benefits from the counterpicking system more than most characters. Where Ice Climbers get destroyed by having more CP stages available, G&W enjoys the more options.

On starter stages, the least interactive stages typically in a stage list, Final Destination is our worst stage. It's flat, no platforms, no hazards to note, and it really benefits horizontal based characters like MK and Falco (G&W is vertical based). Interactive stages let us focus on our strengths in punishing, baiting, mobility, and our strong vertical gameplay, so when a ruleset excludes options like Norfair or situational CPs like Japes, G&W doesn't do that well. A lot of his bad matchups actually do better the less interactive a stage is, so our matchup discussions can be really skewed both ways.

Summary: Platforms are good, hazards are good. Stages that move are also very good, though it's typically limited to Delfino and RC in most lists.

Do you have any idea what sparked this negative public opinion? Are G&W players more susceptible to falling into patterns? Or is the interest in him fading and have too few people stood up for him when people named his recent flaws? I'd like to see some more vids of G&W (I've checked out some UTD Zac, for starters), can you name a few other real good ones, especially those that play him in such a way that every move and aspect is used to its maximum (like Xyro plays Samus)?
This downward spiral was likely sparked by a few things. First, we lost a lot of our key players of G&W. OBM switched from G&W to Wario despite being a successful Game & watch. Hylian stopped using him too. xYz I guess as well. Anyway, we had top players for the first half of Brawl's lifetime playing as him, but ended up switching. This wouldn't be such a problem if it weren't for the fact that G&W is an unpopular character choice, as we may of been able to get new G&W mainers.

Another thing that sparked this opinion is the actual Game & Watch community. The issue here is that our already small community doesn't participate in other board's discussions or just Tactical debates involving G&W. This lack of "show" makes Game & Watch a lesser known character to mains of other characters, so when they are advancing their meta game, we still *seem* the same. People then assume G&W is represented by their local tournament main or that he's of the same playstyle as he was early in Brawl. So now we have people shifting their opinions that their main does "better than previously thought" versus us (can be true, but the huge shift that practically every character now does better is ridiculous).

Lastly, the little activity in our community is extremely negative towards Game & Watch. This really seals it for the public opinion on us; "wow, even the users of G&W think he's a bad character, must be true".

<AmazingAmpharos> in the end, our biggest enemies are ourselves really
<AmazingAmpharos> Is it surprising G&W would have an increasingly poor reputation with the G&W doom and gloom brigade around?
<AmazingAmpharos> What other character boards go around telling people how bad their character is?
<AmazingAmpharos> I'll tell you which
<AmazingAmpharos> The Captain Falcon boards.

So pretty much, you hit the point exactly when you said this:
"Or is the interest in him fading and have too few people stood up for him when people named his recent flaws?"

And it's not like G&W is extremely easy to use at high levels, so you get a recipe for disaster.

UTD Zac is probably the only G&W main at high levels who really shows a lot of what we can do. Valdens doesn't mixup nearly as much, but he's a top player to look at if you are really interested in. Pretty much, we have extremely little representation... UTD Zac is the only one I feel does Game & Watch justice at high levels of play (OBM did a solid job when he was around).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mr. Escalator, mad props to you. You beat me to it.

G&W is also in general a pretty hard character to use in high level play since his strengths are best emphasized by knowing how to bait and powershield.

Also, he can't randomly spotdodge and expect to be able to punish stuff with a kill move. It's REALLY important to learn that spotdodging is only good for getting grabs, and that his grab game is something that must be abused to make the most of him.

Anauel

Smash Cadet
Also, he can't randomly spotdodge and expect to be able to punish stuff with a kill move. It's REALLY important to learn that spotdodging is only good for getting grabs, and that his grab game is something that must be abused to make the most of him.
This is worth noting. At first I thought GW grab game was awful, since his range is poor, but it is indeed amazing. You have to accept it in order to understand it.

I've also realized that these boards have very few posters. I'm sorry to say that I am not a very active poster, but I devour every thread in these boards. All of you posting have made my game improve greatly since there is a LOT of good advice and videos in these boards. Tidbits like this may not seem like much, but once you start adding them up, it makes me realize GW is not nearly as bad as everyone makes him. We only have a few hard matchups - you can't compare that to Capt. Falcon (I know, he is my secondary).

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
@anauel
i think the only active (quality) posters around here are UTDZAC A2ZOMG Mistah Escolat0r,JKBUK, and myself

though my posts are pretty generic...and i gots the least experience since im new to the offline scene ._.

but i try to help out by answering the baby questions that pop up now and then lol

and after that are the occasional but rare people that provide help whenever they feel like it lol
Hylian.amazing...amphros.(.idk how to spell that guys name lol), OBM,Neb,KaaK and so on D:

It's okay Penta, I still love you <3
^_____^
no i hate you
go away :mad:

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
First off, what is the definition of "telegraphed", really?
I found this on some definition site: "to make known by signs especially unknowingly and in advance"

In my understanding, the idea of being a "telegraphed" character or having a "telegraphed" move is that you/move is very predictable. The moves that you do or the playstyle that you use is easy to notice by the opponent and difficult to mix up. This seems to be the general problem that G&W mains have.

...and why would G&W be more predictable than other characters?
The reason I believe G&W seems to be a predictable character is because of the nature of his moveset. His moves come out jagged, they don't look smooth. They are jerky.

• G&W users tend to use bair when they are far away from their opponent and feel the need to approach, especially if the opponent is shielding.
  • G&W users tend to use dair when they are above the opponent and feel they have a good chance of landing a fast attack. Dair is easy to punish once you realize how much landing lag there is.
  • G&W users tend to use fair while offstage trying to punish/gimp an opponent recoverying. This generally works, but is predictable and can be out-ranged.
  • G&W users tend to spam smash attacks when the opponent is at kill percents. Occasionally they hit, but a smart opponent can easily avoid them. The start-up time for his smash attacks range from 15-24 frames. Normally this isn't a problem, except that most people think this is the only reliable way to kill the opponent. "I must kill with a smash attack" Learning how to bait the opponent into a smash attack (intelligent players) or how to setup a combo into a smash attack (combos) is a key factor of playing G&W. Without this you will suck against good players.

Also, what are G&W's other main weak points (beside his weight of course)?
1) G&W has a difficult time killing a smart opponent.
2) G&W has a difficult time consistently approaching top tier characters like MK, Snake, Diddy, Marth without getting punished.

Those are really the only big weaknesses I see in the character. They are BIG weaknesses unfortunately. =(

What's [Fsmash's] weak point?
I'm not sure exactly. Fsmash seems to be a safe, reliable attack. If you want to know what it's weak point is, just try using it 100 in one match and see how often you hit with it / get punished for using it. You'll start to notice how the opponent can easily avoid the attack and then eventually punish you every time you use it.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I was going to disagree one your bullet points as I originally read them as "this is why G&W is a predictable character", but then I noticed you said "G&W's" meaning the players of Game & Watch (and not the character) so I actually do agree with them. Your points as to what G&W players typically do is pretty spot on, so no complaints there Zac.

Fsmash isn't completely safe on block, but it's close enough to be considered safe on block and it's even safer the longer you charge it. That's the only thing I can think of as a downside besides the obvious startup time. Oh, and I guess the weak hitboxes of the move are pretty bad, but those are rare (they have low shield stun/damage/knockback, but arent common to land).

So yeah, Zac's post is pretty accurate.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The funny thing about those bullet points is I try to play the opposite of what was stated.

I don't spam B-air all that much. I actually spam F-air more on stage (does more damage, doesn't get SDIed). I also use certain Smashes a lot at low percents for the sake of pressuring and feinting. And while I do edgeguard a lot with F-air (because it's just that darn good), I also use D-air frequently as my edgeguard tool.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Using smashes at low percents is quite solid when you get an opening to do so; they all do tons of damage, and G&W is the best character at refreshing his moveset through the use of his Uair (on the opponent AND stage :3 ).

I've mostly stuck with Fair for kills, not damage, but I can see that it may be a solid strategy as well. Not to mention, Uair keeps it a good damaging AND killing move.

Neb

Smash Lord
To me, G&W is more of a horizontally oriented character when it comes to KO'ing.

Dtilt
Fsmash
Dsmash
Forward and bthrow
Bair (mid-to-high %)
Upb (mid-to-high %)
Fair, especially OOS (should be a staple by now) ...etc​

These all do a great job of getting your opponent toward, or off the stage. From there the liability of a KO/gimp really tilts in G&W's favor as he begins to edgeguard, on or off stage. Game & Watch players should take advantage of dtilt, fsmash, and fair more, they're terrific spacing and zoning tools in their own right.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I think the majority of G&W users that don't frequent this forum underestimate his Jab. G&W's Jab cancel is very good especially considering how easy it is to land G&W's relatively long ranged and quick Jab. Jab cancel grabbing in general is a very good strategy, and his rapid jab combo is actually pretty useful if you pull it out at the right time since it doesn't get shieldgrabbed. It's not a fast Jab, but 4 frames is still very quick, and considering the range, it's a great interrupter.

Also, a small thing...I actually use U-tilt for kills. I haven't bothered looking up KO percents, but generally speaking when my opponent hits 160%, I generally try to juggle them and get them to fall into that attack. It punishes air dodges pretty well, and the power stays decent throughout the entire move. Currently people really don't expect it, and in many cases, it can be more practical than trying to land a Smash.

Neb

Smash Lord
Yeah, as percentages reach extremes, he can whip out moves from pocket to aid him in getting the kill. At like 140% or so I like to uthrow, SJ uair, then upb above my opponent and crush them with dair for a star KO. The key is a reckless, but effective KO move once you get your opponent into the upper hundreds. You then have ftilt near the edge, and bair, which both have very nice horizontal trajectories.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
*takes notes*
*feels small*

._____________.

wow i can't believe i haven't thought of some of these before >.>
i really need to study my main more lol

*fails* T-T

Mr. Grey

Smash Cadet
Wow, that use of Utilt is awesome, I just killed my friends Marth at 145% when he airdodged.
Thats a real effective way of killing people, its fast, unexpected and in any case throws them back into the air for more punishment.

Thanks for that one A2ZOMG, Im gonna put this into good use.

Tidal

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the replies ^^ I guess it's really just the players not being able to handle the playstyle that Mister Game and Watch requires.

And Zac, awesome combo vid- I devoured it. Even though it's a combo vid, it's the best footage of G&W I've seen so far ;P

Top Bottom