• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question about Marth and FD

Famine

Smash Rookie
As of late i've been using my Ganon more and i've noticed that Ganon is kinda (maybe) a counter to marth, I can usally spam my aerials and destroy him but on FD I get 3 stocked, Ganon can't match Marth's range and speed so how do I fight him on FD?

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
FD is rough, because there aren't any platforms you can use to "hide" behind.

Though against marth (player skill depending), I don't have that much of a problem. Agreed, the range is a pain. Watch your spacing, make sure you're L-canceling (as you always should be), and try to mind game the eff out of him. FD is a mindgame stage in my opinion (this may not make much sense), in the fact that you're left with your wits and skill. No platforms, no objects getting in the way, etc. Make your opponent come to you; make him predictable.

Beyond that, I can't help much (not that I really help at all...). Good luck, and such. >_>

Famine

Smash Rookie
Thanks, we played again today but for some reason didn't play FD, we played Rainbow Cruise ike 9 times for some reason...but not FD...

I'm gonna play him tomorrow on FD...i'll tell you how it goes..

Linguini

Smash Master
FD should be a totally even stage vs. marth, take advantage of spacing and dont rush in without heed. Dont spam aerials, tilts,jabs and f-smash are good attacks that you can take advantage of in this matchup.

Famine

Smash Rookie
Yes Jolly Good.....

How do I avoid getting Smash/Tilt spammed when playing a Marth?

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Space ungodly well and don't forget ganon's range can vary according.

If you are ganon, mix things up, marths hate the gerudo dragon...its a good combo starter.

Tech chase him, he'll die in around 4 hits.

RedYoshi92

Smash Lord
I think you could try doing thunderdrops but It would kinda hard if your not good at predicting.

Famine

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the help guys, I two stocked him today, on FD, Marth Kids just don't see the Raptor Boost coming..it's kinda cool, also When I play Ganon I have ths idea in my head that i'm awesome beyond human comprehension, I always seemed to Bum rush my opponet, this time I waited for the Marth to come me and Neutral A'D him to hell....

Thanks for the Help...

AtomICON

Smash Apprentice
Gerudo Dragon*, not raptor boost. >_>

And anyway. Yeah, the ledgehop waveland to ftilt can mess up marth pretty bad, Also, you need to go out and challenge marth as he's recovering, all he can really do without dying is >b at you, just jump out backwards and reverse upair spike him. Works like a charm.

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
Depending on the situation, you can crouch cancel a weak attack and hit marth with a dtilt.
Up in the air, marth is pretty vulnerable to uair.
It's easy for marth to mess up spacing against your shield, because many of his attacks extend him outwards a bit, so ganon can shieldgrab marth sometimes even when it looks like he shouldn't.
And Marth gets wrecked when he gets grabbed by ganon.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
I don't see how its funny because its what both sides need to be doing considering ganon gets comboed to death and edgeguarded easy by marth while marth dies in around 4 hits from ganon.

and yes, if you are below marth, hes in bad shape.

Gerudo dragon is a good way to catch them offguard as I said earlier due to them misjudging distances and them believing they are safe from your reach..but the drawback of the initial startup is also very good.

I only down-b in combos/punishment for lag as far as the wizard foot goes though, never out of the blue like the raptor boost.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
I don't see how its funny because its what both sides need to be doing considering ganon gets comboed to death and edgeguarded easy by marth while marth dies in around 4 hits from ganon.

and yes, if you are below marth, hes in bad shape.

Raptor boost is a good way to catch them offguard as I said earlier due to them misjudging distances and them believing they are safe from your reach..but the drawback of the initial startup is also very good.

I only down-b in combos/punishment for lag as far as the dragon goes though, never out of the blue like the raptor boost.
You are using the wrong name, the attack is called gerudo dragon, or just say side-B for people who haven't memorized the guides. I agree that this works well against both marth and roy. It easily counters the f-smash because of the lean back before the attack begins. The same goes for fsmash with ganon, cuz that also has a lean back. I always waveland into that though. It's also fun to combo out of side-B with Bair, but only if their percentage is high enough to have significant knockback, otherwise use dair.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
You are using the wrong name, the attack is called gerudo dragon, or just say side-B for people who haven't memorized the guides. I agree that this works well against both marth and roy. It easily counters the f-smash because of the lean back before the attack begins. The same goes for fsmash with ganon, cuz that also has a lean back. I always waveland into that though. It's also fun to combo out of side-B with Bair, but only if their percentage is high enough to have significant knockback, otherwise use dair.
I'll Gerudo your dragon...

Wait a minute...

O_O

Oh god, what have I done?!

But yes, the side+b works wonders on Marth. Works best for me against a counter happy Marth. Watch the timing, and dive in for a free side+b juggle to aerial.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Thanks for the defensive odin I guess. I'd rather not know what that means.

I really don't see the importance of memorizing names like that, I'm pretty sure anyone that reads my post fully understands exactly what I am saying.

I secondaried falcon before ganon so meh.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
I personally don't think the marth on yoshi story is AS bad for ganon as most other characters. Easy KOs real early, small actual stage helps ganon, and platforms, plus I'm under the impression it's harder for people to edgeguard on yoshi story (confirmation anyone who knows?).

Given marth's range is a pain, so is ganons, and well spacing can make YS an even battleground for Ganon vrs Marth.

You may be wondering why I'm saying this when the thread is about FD.

...Ban FD, not YS

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Marth can use platforms very well too you realize. I suppose the lucky cloud coming by does help ganon's predictable recovery..marth does die rather easy there considering you could just vertical kill him if he starts living past 80..

Not much room to move around, thats bad for ganon with marth is on the attack..but when tech chasing, ganon can easily net the kill hit..but that goes both ways.

Pretty even. I'd rather go yoshi's story though out of personal perferences.

Devilution

Smash Journeyman
My crewmate Fade(Marth Main) hates the d-tilt because it has longer range than his F-Smash...so if you keep your range you can wait til he f-smashes and then d-tilt...

Edit--- Also I think Yoshi's story is a great map for ganonxmarth but battlefield....no

timbu

Smash Apprentice
battlefield in my opinion is the worst stage against Marth.

The horrible ledge and the spaced platforms...edgeguarding dream for Marth.

I love FoD and YS against Marth...FD is somewhat neutral, but if you space ungodly well against a Marth spaces ungodly well...well, you'll lose. (too much well)

I think that guy Lol'd at space ungodly well because it sounds funny off the tongue

KIngGerudo

Smash Lord
i agree with Linguini because i play my crews marth there most of the time if he counter picks. its a total stalemate if played correctly. spacing is important and gerudo dragon is gonna be your friend. GD and if he shields, then go into an f-tilt after the move. not only does it auto space, but it puts you out of his grab range. tipman spike destroys his recovery and retreating bairs can mess up an overly agressive marth. down throw to any aeriel except maybe dair( i say this because if the marth is aware of the dancing blade spam out, then you will get hit before the dair) to get him off the stage into certain death. hope this helps.

Top Bottom