• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question about frame data in comparion to Mario...

Syne49

Smash Cadet
NNID
FinalEnder49
I would look it up myself but I can't access Kurogane for some reason right now. So I was wondering if their individual frame data is completely alike? I have a friend who keeps saying that but it seems inaccurate to me haha. Thank you for any and all help!

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
Yes, where Dr. Mario's moves are cloned from Mario, the frame data is nearly exactly the same. There might be minute differences in FAF or ending lag, but the startup is identical.

Syne49

Smash Cadet
NNID
FinalEnder49
Okay cool so the difference comes down to kill power and aerial mobility. Got it! Thanks!

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
Mario's jabs have a sooner FAF than Doc's by a couple frames. Mario's dair has a FAF 14 frames than Doc's, but they're completely different moves anyway. Interestingly, both down b's have the same FAF of 75, but they're obviously very different moves. All other moves have the same start-up and FAF, though different hit angles and damage values.

DarkK

Smash Apprentice
Mario's jabs have a sooner FAF than Doc's by a couple frames. Mario's dair has a FAF 14 frames than Doc's, but they're completely different moves anyway. Interestingly, both down b's have the same FAF of 75, but they're obviously very different moves. All other moves have the same start-up and FAF, though different hit angles and damage values.
I'm sorry, but what's FAF?

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry, but what's FAF?
Frames active for. Basically how long the move's animation lasts before the character is put into the neutral standing animation again. For example, if a move has 60 FAF, sixty frames after you input the attack, your character will return to the neutral standing animation.

Some moves also have IASA (interruptible as soon as) frames, which means you can interrupt the animation of the move with a new input before the animation officially ends. If the 60 FAF attack I mentioned before had IASA frames on frame 45, if you input a new action on frame 45 or later, the animation would end prematurely and your new action would begin.

Last edited:

DarkK

Smash Apprentice
Frames active for. Basically how long the move's animation lasts before the character is put into the neutral standing animation again. For example, if a move has 60 FAF, sixty frames after you input the attack, your character will return to the neutral standing animation.

Some moves also have IASA (interruptible as soon as) frames, which means you can interrupt the animation of the move with a new input before the animation officially ends. If the 60 FAF attack I mentioned before had IASA frames on frame 45, if you input a new action on frame 45 or later, the animation would end prematurely and your new action would begin.
I see, thanks for the info!

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I would look it up myself but I can't access Kurogane for some reason right now. So I was wondering if their individual frame data is completely alike? I have a friend who keeps saying that but it seems inaccurate to me haha. Thank you for any and all help!
Some of Dr. Mario's hitboxes last a bit longer. Notably Ftilt, Fair and Usmash have an extra frame of hitbox duration. Nair is a bit different but mainly because the move is very different to Mario's.

tibs7

Smash Champion
Doc also has more landing lag on all his aerials

hey_there

Smash Journeyman

On kuroganehammer FAF is 'First Actionable Frame' and it's used in placed of IASA.

http://www.kuroganehammer.com/Glossary

Top Bottom