• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - Nintendo Of America 2014 Qualifier - Ellicott City, MD Discussion

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Pretty high likelihood that a Shulk is gonna win this.

EDIT: Congrats to the obnoxious asperger Shulk. I wish you could "REALLY FEEL" my fist in your face.

Last edited:

GUIGUI

Smash Journeyman
asked that in the general already, but is there any coverage of those events? Any stream? I can't participate, but I'd like to have a look of how ell the player are doing?

Any streaming? even if it is just a cam-over. or a youtube video of someone who recorded the events.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
asked that in the general already, but is there any coverage of those events? Any stream? I can't participate, but I'd like to have a look of how ell the player are doing?

Any streaming? even if it is just a cam-over. or a youtube video of someone who recorded the events.
As far as I know, there was not.

HyPeriDot

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1306-5172-7012
So it's 9:47 EST. I'm in line, and there is no way this isn't at least 120+ and I got here at 9:10 I overheard some guys saying that people not only got here before 6 AM, but camped out in front of the store *sigh* so I'm hopeful that they kick everyone who got here before 9
I was there at 5:30. No one camped out. Only two other people were there when I got there. Also, no one got kicked out either.
Also, many of the people came between 7 to 8 AM
Sorry that you didn't get in.

Also, here's a report.
START OF PEOPLE GETTING IN LINE: 5:21 am
START OF REGISTRATION: 10:15 am
START OF TOURNAMENT: 11 am
END OF TOURNAMENT: 2:30 pm

I was in the first round and lost immediatley with mario. The pairings were not randomized, but in order.
"I'm really feeling it" was said throughout the whole tournament. Shulk was a meme.
Also, the VG bootcamp guys showed up but did not win the tournament
Notably, Chudat, despite being close, did not show up.

FINAL ROUND
Shulk
Mario
Bowser
Kirby (japaneese)

WINNER: Mario (MII: DTFaux)
Second: I think shulk
Third: pretty sure it was kirby
4th: Bowser was pitiful, so I am pretty sure he was fourth.

Last edited:

spd12

Smash Cadet
NNID
PinkDodecahedron
3DS FC
0104-0418-0459
I had a great plan. "There will be Ikes, Shulks, Little Macs, and Bowsers, and I think Dedede will be my best shot at overcoming them."

Then I get Charizard, Greninja, and another Dedede, the lattermost taking immediate control of the match and never letting go to see me right out the door. I was terrible in my near-panic and uncomfortable seated position. Still, good times. (Yeah, despite the Shulk quoting nonsense over in the back of the store.)

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I was there at 5:30. No one camped out. Only two other people were there when I got there. Also, no one got kicked out either.
Also, many of the people came between 7 to 8 AM
Sorry that you didn't get in.

Also, here's a report.
START OF PEOPLE GETTING IN LINE: 5:21 am
START OF REGISTRATION: 10:15 am
START OF TOURNAMENT: 11 am
END OF TOURNAMENT: 2:30 pm

I was in the first round and lost immediatley with mario. The pairings were not randomized, but in order.
"I'm really feeling it" was said throughout the whole tournament. Shulk was a meme.
Also, the VG bootcamp guys showed up but did not win the tournament
Notably, Chudat, despite being close, did not show up.

FINAL ROUND
Shulk
Mario
Bowser
Kirby (japaneese)

WINNER: Mario (MII: DTFaux)
Second: I think shulk
Third: pretty sure it was kirby
4th: Bowser was pitiful, so I am pretty sure he was fourth.
DTFaux?! I was talking to him when I was at the store, he was a pretty cool dude. Glad he won with his Mario.

GrownCannoli

Smash Apprentice
I didn't make it but its a shame that people didn't enforce THE RULES!

Why didn't you people pick unlocked chars and pick any stage you want? It's the same thing as lining up early.

It's really sad when people only think about ME,ME,ME and don't follow the rules. This generation is wack.

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
Pretty high likelihood that a Shulk is gonna win this.

EDIT: Congrats to the obnoxious asperger Shulk. I wish you could "REALLY FEEL" my fist in your face.
You're not talking about me, are you? (I was wearing the Project M shirt)

I was really happy just to get to play Smash with so many fans. I had more fun in the sessions before and after losing the tourney with friends.

Last edited:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
You're not talking about me, are you? (I was wearing the Project M shirt)

I was really happy just to get to play Smash with so many fans. I had more fun in the sessions before and after losing the tourney with friends.
Nah, it was the other kids, the ones screaming the whole time. They were infuriating.

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
Nah, it was the other kids, the ones screaming the whole time. They were infuriating.
Well you said "aspergers kid" and I have a minor case of it (I've been able to control it better recently though).

HyPeriDot

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1306-5172-7012
Just saying the shulk kid was first in line.
I was second or third. So I lost to him first round. :p

He was ok though, I hung out with him back in the corner of the room. I was in that excessively long green hat and bright green bandanna.

Give him some slack though, it was his first tournament ever.

ALSO: Who want's a picture of the line??

spd12

Smash Cadet
NNID
PinkDodecahedron
3DS FC
0104-0418-0459
Issues of overly excitable repeated quotes, lack of chairs for players, and lack of enforcement of line-up times aside, might as well go on ahead and share a couple other memories from it all.

- Standing in line, not having my ankle act up for once. This was great.

- Playing with the guy who I'd fight against in my tourney round later in some practice rounds where he largely dismantled me when I got a feel for Shulk and Palutena as candidates for play before I absolutely settled on Dedede. In our second or third practice match, a Bowser shows up in the lobby. He and I make a pact to gang up on him. (Said Bowser found out quick but pulled the plug when the announcement of the tourney starting happened, at that time he was Giga Bowser and poised to make us pay for our conniving scheme.)

- Talking with a guy about Project M and stuff for a while up until he had lunch, he was a cool dude.

- I did contribute a bit to the Shulk meme'ing by going 'WHAT A WIDE VOCABULARY YOU HAVE THERE, MONADO BOY' or something along those lines in my best Metal Face voice. I admit I was subtly making fun of you guys there, as I didn't really have the heart to say 'stop' since everyone was having fun.

- Messing up in my actual match from panic and sometimes confusing myself for the other Dedede, but getting in some pretty funny hail mary Gordo tosses.

- Cheering at the countdown of almost every match I was there to watch, "and this game's winner is" was me.

- Being freaked out that someone would drink four energy drinks (along with another who was up since 1 PM yesterday but couldn't participate due to being underage and a lack of a guardian present).

- Not being able to get a four player Smash Run thing going, my one real regret aside from, uh, losing I guess. (I got to befriend the winner of that round though!)

- Telling the champion to represent Maryland... and Pennsylvania... and Virginia... and West Virginia... and DC... and the crabs of the Chesapeake. He was a cool guy, I think I actually spoke to him a bit before the finals in brief but it's all a bit of a blur now.

What about you guys?

Last edited:

GrownCannoli

Smash Apprentice
I'm glad everyone had a good time but I am still shocked and even appalled at most peoples lack of compassion for following the rules. Most people posting don't seem to care. Can you people PLEASE respond to what I am saying?

Why it was ok to line up early and take away a chance from someone else? It seems extremely selfish to me when this is a free event and meant to be for fun. (even if there are prizes involved)

Edit** and just to clarify I didn't even get to go as something important came up for me. So I was not one of the people turned away and just being salty about it. I truly care about doing the right thing and following the rules.

Last edited:

dawgbowl

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-2803-2467
I had a great plan. "There will be Ikes, Shulks, Little Macs, and Bowsers, and I think Dedede will be my best shot at overcoming them."

Then I get Charizard, Greninja, and another Dedede, the lattermost taking immediate control of the match and never letting go to see me right out the door. I was terrible in my near-panic and uncomfortable seated position. Still, good times. (Yeah, despite the Shulk quoting nonsense over in the back of the store.)
I was the Charizard in that match. My game plan was to spam YOLO charges and just hope for the best. Then someone picks Arena Ferox regular (I thought we were playing omega...) and welp... there goes my entire game plan. Still fun event and got a T-shirt out of it.

Best of luck to the winner in NYC!

EDIT: And yes, I agree... our match had the weirdest collection of characters of the entire tournament.

Last edited:

spd12

Smash Cadet
NNID
PinkDodecahedron
3DS FC
0104-0418-0459
I was the Charizard in that match. My game plan was to spam YOLO charges and just hope for the best. Then someone picks Arena Ferox regular (I thought we were playing omega...) and welp... there goes my entire game plan. Still fun event and got a T-shirt out of it.

Best of luck to the winner in NYC!

EDIT: And yes, I agree... our match had the weirdest collection of characters of the entire tournament.
The person who picked Arena Ferox was indeed me. I thought it was a brilliant idea to pick a stage with randomly shifting platforms that are kind of hard to make out when there's four people running around on a small screen.

I was half-right, I guess?

Last edited:

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I'm glad everyone had a good time but I am still shocked and even appalled at most peoples lack of compassion for following the rules. Most people posting don't seem to care. Can you people PLEASE respond to what I am saying?

Why it was ok to line up early and take away a chance from someone else? It seems extremely selfish to me when this is a free event and meant to be for fun. (even if there are prizes involved)

Edit** and just to clarify I didn't even get to go as something important came up for me. So I was not one of the people turned away and just being salty about it. I truly care about doing the right thing and following the rules.
What's with your attitude? Tell us, what would you do? Demand that the guys who camped out to give up their spot for you?

LittleKirby

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0344-9780-8721
There wasn't anyone who actually camped
Yes there was an RV there, but no one in it participated in the tourney.
I was second in line, I know this.

I don't see why people didn't bring lawn chairs though.

GrownCannoli

Smash Apprentice
What's with your attitude? Tell us, what would you do? Demand that the guys who camped out to give up their spot for you?
Because it's against the rules to camp out or line up before nine. You know Adults have work and responsibilities and some have to make plans very far in advance just to make it there at nine. Not to mention a far drive for some. Just because you are enthusiastic about Smash doesn't mean YOU deserve a spot more than anyone else. See?

*Truthfully it doesn't matter because its over now and I am the only one who seems to care about being honorable and following the rules. Like I said before its very selfish and immature to break the rules to "guarantee" a spot for yourself. I wouldn't have asked someone for their spot but I wouldn't consider them in line either. I would probably have made a new line with the people to far in the back to get in and see what would have happened after speaking to the store manager with the rules in hand.

Last edited:

LittleKirby

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0344-9780-8721
I thought always that

1st Amendment > Rules

And that way this isn't a legitimate rule
We have the freedom to assemble, and nintendo can't control public traffic.

I don't really see why Nintendo made this rule up in the first place, and how they thought they would enforce it
BTW numerous times before I asked this gamestop when I could line up and they said "whenever"
So I would blame Gamestop, the provider of the property, if I ran into any trouble

The worst part is at the bottom of the rules though:
If you have any questions about these Official Rules or the Tournaments, please send them to: Nintendo of America Inc., 4600 150th Ave NE, Redmond, WA 98052, Attn: SUPER SMASH BROS. FOR NINTENDO 3DS NATIONAL OPEN TOURNAMENTS.

They expect a mail in letter and reply within a week?

Last edited:

GrownCannoli

Smash Apprentice
I thought always that

1st Amendment > Rules
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The worst part is at the bottom of the rules though:
If you have any questions about these Official Rules or the Tournaments, please send them to: Nintendo of America Inc., 4600 150th Ave NE, Redmond, WA 98052, Attn: SUPER SMASH BROS. FOR NINTENDO 3DS NATIONAL OPEN TOURNAMENTS.

They expect a mail in letter and reply within a week?
The right to assemble is awesome. The god given privilege does not say you are in line for a Nintendo tournament though. You are just a bunch of people standing around legally.

Also I agree the rule is stupid, they really should have never had it in the first place, but they did thus why I am talking about it. If the tournament organizer said you can line up "whenever" then you didn't do anything wrong because it's his/her mistake not yours at that point.

Writing in a letter seems just as bad as the 9'oclock rule lol. Now that it's over it seriously doesn't matter but following the rules is very important I just want people to see that. That goes first and foremost to the Gamestop manager. If I was turned away I wouldn't be mad at the people who lined up early I would be mad at the organizer.

*This is the last time I'll respond in this thread. No point in beating a dead horse. I don't have an attitude and I am not mad at the people who lined up early. Just saying how I felt about the situation.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Hi Everyone,

I'm one of the VG folks that went to this event. I hope you can come out to our tournaments on tuesday and wednesdays at Xanadu! http://smashboards.com/threads/oct-14-2014-smash-xanadu-project-m-weeklies-baltimore-md.357224/

Additionally, I was there at 6:30am. If nintendo wanted to enforce the rules and make us go home, they could've, but they chose not to. The people who wanted to play the most got there earliest, and the gamestop said you could get there earlier than 9, so that's way it goes.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Honestly, I stay away from Xanadu because I'm not interested in Project M, and your streams focus on it almost exclusively. I wouldn't be surprised if there were other locals who feel the same way. Tuesday and Wednesday night is also prohibitive timing for anyone with a job in the DC area. Maybe you could try a Friday night/Saturday event for Smash 4 once it's out to attract new players.

GrownCannoli

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I stay away from Xanadu because I'm not interested in Project M, and your streams focus on it almost exclusively. I wouldn't be surprised if there were other locals who feel the same way. Tuesday and Wednesday night is also prohibitive timing for anyone with a job in the DC area. Maybe you could try a Friday night/Saturday event for Smash 4 once it's out to attract new players.
I don't go because it is to late for me and I live right next to it practically. Anyone with a normal job will have to sacrifice sleep on a week day for a video game. I can't even finish watching the stream on Twitch before I need to sleep, maybe if I was younger.

Also I used to play cards at Xanadu for years. The smashers always acted as if the Magic players were taking their space but really it was the other way around. I am sure a few people stay away for that reason too.

I wish they had Friday/Saturday tournaments but Gimr couldn't travel if they did so thats why they are on weekdays I assume. Traveling is WAY more money. At the big house Gimr got a sub every few minutes when I was watching. Speaking of that does he kick back to the players? Seems like he makes a lot of money when he's not even putting on the show. Someone would gladly take his spot if he wasn't there so the show would still go on regardless.

**I am not hating** I am genuinely curious. (sad I have to disclaim that. 2k14 :()

GrosMinou

Turbo Scrub
Speaking of that does he kick back to the players? Seems like he makes a lot of money when he's not even putting on the show. Someone would gladly take his spot if he wasn't there so the show would still go on regardless.
I think you have no idea how much work he does to maintain the stream and the content.
He deserve every single bit of money he gets.

GrownCannoli

Smash Apprentice
I think you have no idea how much work he does to maintain the stream and the content.
He deserve every single bit of money he gets.
You're right I don't know how much work he does thats why I asked. I don't think You know who I am subscribed to, who I donated to, or anything else for that matter.

All I was trying to say is I see west cost streams, over sea streams and they are ran at the exact same quality they just don't have the same quality of personality on the mic or talent at the event. From an outsider who does not attend and purely spectates it seems that the players and the people on the mic are what make the show and not him. *It seems* others could host a tournament stream just as well. Thats why I asked. Can you elaborate please?

Once again I am not hating, I am GLAD someone can make a living off the video game community. I'd support him over almost any major publication. He just happens to make way more $ than others and even could buy/take over a Venue that I used to attend for other reasons.

Last edited:

HyPeriDot

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1306-5172-7012
Uhh, unless he lied in his blog post and fabricated the pictures, ChuDat was most definitely there. He was the Kirby in finals.
Wow, sorry, I was mistaken. He styled his hair differently.
But he DID show up AFTER 100 people were in line. He stole a spot :p

Still, I'm pretty sure shulk was ahead of him in the finals.
He placed third.
LIVE LONG AND REALLY FEEL IT!

Wow, too bad I didn't take the chance to even meet him.

LittleKirby

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0344-9780-8721
Uhh, unless he lied in his blog post and fabricated the pictures, ChuDat was most definitely there. He was the Kirby in finals.
Didn't notice him. I thought it was gone because *someone* was discussing how Chu wasn't here and there were more than 100 people in line.
*gulp* I can't believe I was just a foot away from one of the best kirby users of all time...

But it seemed like he was off his game.

BulacaFlocka

Smash Rookie
Didn't notice him. I thought it was gone because *someone* was discussing how Chu wasn't here and there were more than 100 people in line.
*gulp* I can't believe I was just a foot away from one of the best kirby users of all time...

But it seemed like he was off his game.
You guys are right, he was there later, and bought a ticket from a kid for $20. He said in the blog post that the Bowser and Shulk targeted him in finals, no clue how true that was.

Dunno how you guys could miss him, he's the only one there wearing Gunnars :p (also the big ol' Mortality logo on his shirt). Nice guy, he talks to anyone.

LittleKirby

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0344-9780-8721
You guys are right, he was there later, and bought a ticket from a kid for $20. He said in the blog post that the Bowser and Shulk targeted him in finals, no clue how true that was.

Dunno how you guys could miss him, he's the only one there wearing Gunnars :p (also the big ol' Mortality logo on his shirt). Nice guy, he talks to anyone.
I was watching the match. It did not seem like he was exactly being targeted.
Bowser was trying to get cheap KOs in but really failed.
Shulk was trying to kill everyone, no hate against Chu
Mario was camping

I never really saw him in person before, especially without a hat.

Last edited:

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
ChuDat was in. He abused a Little Mac and then ran away from me the whole match once he was ahead. Play how you want, I guess, but the other players in finals were wise to it, and he got crushed by another Mario when he tried it again (I think he thought he was ahead when he was actually way behind). I still got to KO everyone in the last 20 seconds of semis with a Mario Finale, which was cool and satisfying.

As for streams in Xanadu, is that really the reason it's held in the middle of the week? That's...really lame. How hard can it be to set up a stream? Couple hundred dollars of software, a $200 capture card and a $100 mic? Is it just one of those things where everyone with a job is too busy, and everyone else doesn't care?

BulacaFlocka

Smash Rookie
As for streams in Xanadu, is that really the reason it's held in the middle of the week? That's...really lame. How hard can it be to set up a stream? Couple hundred dollars of software, a $200 capture card and a $100 mic? Is it just one of those things where everyone with a job is too busy, and everyone else doesn't care?
Not sure what you're talking about, but Smash @ Xanadu is held during the week because it's just a weekly. It's not meant to be some big tournament every week, it's a weekly to get people out from the area and practicing for the big events that happen on the weekends. That's also the reason why all finals sets are just 2 out of 3.

As far as streaming, it's a ton of work to run a stream. Equipment itself is expensive enough: If you don't have the right computers, then you need those. Audio mixer = $80+. Good headsets = $200+. Capture card(s) $200+. Webcams = $100+ for good ones, etc.

In addition, it's *incredibly* time consuming. You have to be there before each event to set up, stay later to tear down. You need to be manning the computers at almost all times to make sure the stream quality is working, audio doesn't de-sync, chat doesn't blow up, run ads when you can. Then when you're done with the event, you have to go home the next couple days and cut VoDs of every single match that was recorded, then upload them to YouTube. In between events, he has to coordinate the sponsorship ads and other maintenance stuff that goes with the production, along with the other original content that he's putting out.

And then there's the commitment itself. You have to be there every week to put this broadcast on for people. And then in GimR's case, you multiply this stuff by 3 or 4 since he travels almost every weekend it seems for tournaments, and then comes back and streams both Tuesday and Wednesday night for Xanadu. Not to mention now he's a store owner now on top of it. Oh, and then there's that thing called a life outside of Smash to deal with.

Streaming isn't just something where you can buy the equipment and just do it. There's a huge time commitment that gets put into it, and the amount of stuff that GimR does for the MD/VA scene and the entire Smash scene in general is crazy. Few people are more dedicated to the scene than people like GimR, Chibo, and the other streamers.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Again, is the fact that this guy comes out and streams the issue or what? I get that everyone wants to be a star (LOL), but if you want more people, you gotta make it easier for people with jobs to come out. Or just play with college students perpetually.

BulacaFlocka

Smash Rookie
Again, is the fact that this guy comes out and streams the issue or what? I get that everyone wants to be a star (LOL), but if you want more people, you gotta make it easier for people with jobs to come out. Or just play with college students perpetually.
I don't understand what the "issue" is? The fact is the weekly Xanadu events are local weeklies, meant for practice, but happens to be streamed online by the biggest Smash streamer out there. I don't understand how it can be any easier for people with jobs to come out, it doesn't start until 7PMish, so there's time to beat the traffic. Yes, sometimes it runs late, but the likelihood of you being in the tournament still that late isn't very high. And to be fair, now that it's separated and kids are back in school, the turnout has been around 40-50 for each event, which lets it end before midnight. If you're talking about weekend, then again, there are regional and national tournaments almost every weekend.

Many of the talent in the area attend these regionals or nationals, so some of the crowd isn't around. Again, they do have monthlies usually, so there's one tournament on a weekend you could head to at Xanadu. Otherwise, if you just look in the Facebook group for the area, there's plenty of people always looking to hold fests to get friendlies in. Sypher runs them almost weekly at his house on Fridays in Vienna, VA, there's Smash @ Clarendon which I help run usually ever other Friday night in Arlington, VA (right outside of a metro stop), there's Thanks for Playing going on up in Ijamsville, MD on Sundays I believe, there's weekly stuff going on at UMD College Park on Fridays (their monthly is this Saturday, and looks to be big with around 90+ people coming on Facebook).

Seriously, there is absolutely *no* lack of Smash going on in the MD/VA area. Yes, you might have to travel a bit, but there's always people willing to play. And if you don't find any of these things convenient for you, then maybe you should try and host something close to where you are and make people come to you.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
This is typical Sleek Media, so I know i'm wasting my time responding to this, but I'll try anyways.

The stream GimR uses is thousands of dollars in equipment to provide the level of production value that everyone has come to expect from the #1 smash stream in the world. So to think you could just start up and instantly overtake them...that's wrong. It took VGBootcamp 5 years of hard work to get where they are today and GimR has taken from a saturday hobby to his full time job. And it's really brought a revival of MD/VA smash.

Smash @ Xanadu weeklies are held on tuesdays and wednesdays because it is an opportunity for local folks to get a cheaper practice alternative than spending a whole day of their weekend. There are many players that come for just casual matches all night and all have a great time. Additionally, the region has improved as a whole with the increased practice.

The reason we don't have Brawl is simply that the numbers weren't good. We have given Brawl many chances and it has not exceeded 14 entrants this year. Since we own the store now, we can't keep it open with that many entrants.

I think bulaca summed up the work a streamer goes through pretty well but it's not as easy as one would think.

Bottom line- S@X is one of the most welcoming tournament environments in the country and one of the most successful, and these traits go hand in hand. I have sacrificed an hour at most for sleep, but most people who don't have to stay till the end go home and are home before midnight. We invite you to come and try it out for yourself if you don't believe me.

Top Bottom