• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[QLD] Unilan III, Bond University, Saturday 30th October 11:00am-midnight

GrandJason

Smash Cadet
UNILAN III

Unilan is a medium sized lan and video gaming event held on the gold coast at Bond university once every 4 months. Where players from around QLD come and play in wide variety of console and pc games.

Where
Bond University, 1 university drive
map to room here http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=448477214570&set=t.121269777907009

When
Saturday 30th October 11:00am-midnight

Cost
$15 - includes pizza dinner and snacks (discounts for consoles available)

What
11:00 UNILAN begins
1:00 Super Smash Bros Brawl 1v1 tournament
2:00 Fifa 2011 1v1 tournament
3:00 Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 tournament (xbox360)
4:00 Super Smash Bros Brawl 2v2 tournament
4:30 Dota 3v3 tournament
6:30 Pizza dinner
7:00 Super Street fighter 4 tournament (PS3)
7:30 Starcraft 2 or league of legends tournament
8:30 Tatsunoko v Capcom tournament
Free play for the rest of night​

for more info go to http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=162618490424068

tournament rules here : http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=121269777907009&topic=329

Wait I don't study at Bond University?
That's fine, everyone is welcome. We hold Unilan here because of the free venue and easy access to projectors.

What should I bring?

We have a fair few consoles, but we need another xbox 360, Wii, ps3 and another copy of the above games. Please pm me if you would be able to bring one down and I can arrange discount. Feel free to bring your own controllers

Don't forget this is also a lan, so please bring your computers and a lan cable if you have one.

Who should I contact for more details
feel free to call me: Jason 0403597809 or send me an email or facebook message.

I hope to see you guys there

GrandJason

Smash Cadet
sorry, small typo. I meant ssbb, fixed it up. We probably could do a n64 smash bros tournament during the free play time. I'll see what the interest during the night is like.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Good stuff Jason.

During this weekend I'll be absent since I'll be helping run Animania in Brisbane.

But I suggest that anybody who might be torn between the two go to this since it's much better value and more fun (unless you specifically want to go to an anime convention).

Also for simplicity's sake, I suggest you go with an adaptation of the Robocop/Thriller ruleset.

---

General Rules

Playing non-tournament matches without a Tournament Organiser's consent may result in disqualification. Players may forfeit games and/or sets if their match has been called by a TO and is not started within reasonable time. Please inform a TO of any situations that may hinder you from playing. Players have the right to remove an SD card from a wii before play.

Homebrew / Modded Wiis must NOT alter game play, characters or stage designs. Stage/Character textures or replacement music must not make the game unplayable or uncomfortable for an individual player.

Brawl Thriller Ruleset:

Match Settings: 3 Stock | 8 Minute Timer | Items set to "off" and "none"

Matches are played as best of three sets. Championship and Finals (Winners, Losers Semi, Losers) sets are best of five. This includes Pool Matches, matches ending with suicide moves that result in Sudden Death have the initiator of the move declared winner. (A) In the case of a match going to time, Sudden Death is not played. A player may not select a stage which they have already won on in the set, unless the opponent agrees. Players are responsible for their own controllers (including connectivity, battery life, etc) and control settings. No unnecessary pausing of the game. (B) Stalling is banned. Actions that cause glitches and/or game freezes which prevent the game from continuing are the responsibility of the player. Extension (Infinite or otherwise) of Meta Knight's Dimension Cape / Down B is banned. The above listed yellow actions may result in the player responsible forfeiting the MATCH or SET. Tournament Organizers hold discretionary powers. Excessive screaming made by a player will be barred from play.

A) Time Out Procedures:

In the case of a time out the winner(s) of the match are declared by (in order):
(Singles Only; Meta Knight only) If the player has more than 25 Ledge Grabs they forfeit the match. Highest [combined] stock count. Lowest [combined] percentage. In the case of not being able to declare a winner, a One Stock Four Minute Decider is played with the same characters and stage. In the case of the Decider time out with the previous conditions, Sudden Death is played out.

B) Stalling

The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Set Procedure: Opponents select their ports.* Opponents choose their characters. Double blind selection may be called if a player wishes it. Opponents strike the starter stages one at a time until there is one remaining.* The first match of the set is played on said stage. After the match is played the winner may declare a legal stage banned. The previous match's loser selects a remaining legal stage to be played on. If the previous match's loser wishes to, they may also counterpick a port.

The winner of the previous match picks character first. The loser then picks their character. Steps 4-7 are repeated until a set is completed.

(*) In the case of dispute, a best of one Rock, Paper, Scisors match is played. The winner may select preferred port OR which opponent strikes first. The loser obtains the unselected option.

Legal Stage List

Starters
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 1
Lylat Cruise

Counter-picks
Final Destination
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Pictochat
Brinstar

Doubles Subset:

Life Stealing is allowed. Team Attack set to ON. Port Selection, unless in mutual agreement must be in a 1221 format (team 1/team 2). Doubles has additional stages, and hence teams may ban TWO of them during counter-picking.

GrandJason

Smash Cadet
I'd like to run, but it just doesn't seem to be that popular amongst the local crowd. Mainly because you have to pay for it, whereas so many people have found free ways to get dota and lol is free to play anyway. the other tournaments should be pretty good.

GrandJason

Smash Cadet
yeh, we know that the brawl tournament will take longer than an hour. But we decided that we will be using 2 projectors simultaneously and a tv if we need to. We should be able to get the tournament pretty much wrapped up in an hour. Additionally we don't have to finish brawl in order to start fifa as we have enough tvs. So it should be fine, I hope to see you guys there.

Testikills

Smash Journeyman
I'll be there again with my xbox setup and Wii setup.

Also love the example of why most new players that come along dislike the melee people, every negative post in here is from a melee player

GrandJason

Smash Cadet
I don't mind the trolling. I just want to get he message out there so that I can build bit of a gaming community up here on the gold coast.

thanks for the help testikills. I'll see all you guys on the night

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Don't worry about the trolls Jason. The rest of us appreciate the time you're putting in.

So you guys know, it's not a super serious Brawl tournament, and getting it done under two hours is actually feasible. I don't remember it taking much longer than that last time.

Ryan, you've never been to a Unilan, so you should know that it's more like a fun meet with a relaxed tournament on the side. The number of entrants being small enough that we've gotten through it fairly quickly every time.

Then we've taken our setups to the other rooms with TVs and just played Melee/Brawl the rest of the night lol.

Anyway consider this a warning. No more trolling from you please Ryan <3

seaDORF

Smash Journeyman
In the op it says $15 for the food and drinks included. Is it possible to get discounted entry if you don't plan on staying long enough for the pizza and don't want the drinks?

GrandJason

Smash Cadet
re: scrub fox, yes we would have the resources to make this a proper tournament. We will have probably around 6 tvs and 2 projectors available. We should have between 3-5 wiis and ssbb available on the day as well. So potentially we could make it a proper tournament

re: Poseiodon, If money is an issue, you could bring along a console (wii/360/ps3), a couple of controllers and some games then I can let you in for free. Send me a message if you are interested and what you have available. I'd honestly not like to go with the no pizza/drink option. As we need a little bit of contribution from everyone to pay for the smallish prizes we offer and the and also subsidize the pizza for those that bring in equipment.

Personally, it seemed more appealing to players to charge $15 for drinks and pizza rather than $5 for absolutely nothing at all. If you aren't able to bring any equipment down, sent me a pm and I'll tell you what I could do for you.

Karp-0S

Smash Journeyman
Heads up, I shall be attending. Is anyone coming past coomera or can give me a lift from the train station of their choice? Also home? or a place to crash. I'm happy to work with people.

CaLibUr_1337

Smash Lord
Heads up, I shall be attending. Is anyone coming past coomera or can give me a lift from the train station of their choice? Also home? or a place to crash. I'm happy to work with people.
Same for me. One of my sunnycoast friends may be coming to this. I'll know for certain by tomorrow.

Top Bottom