• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

QLD Smash Thread !! !! !!! !!! !! ! !

King Kong

Smash Lord
Oi Josh what's this about you quitting DK for Zelda?

Are you a f*ckn ******?

You should've thought of the consequences of having "King Kong" as your nick when you registered here.
Dont worry, im still a DK main. It was haunting me in my sleep.

(how can i face the world with a name that doesnt match my character i wailed as I sobbed into my pillow)

i just cant be bothered changing my avatar.

peace out

Scrubs

Smash Lord
3 Stocked my operation today..

Barely hurts at all. I shuffle about like an old lady though.

If anyone needs surgery go to the Wesley, they have an attractive nurse only policy.

BRAWL!!

King Kong

Smash Lord
Read an article in a magazine today.... might have been Scene, in which they talk about smash and interview one Zachary Bowman. It was actually quite a good read.

Zach didnt even say cok.

peace out

Get that Rat

Smash Lord
I think it's Rave Josh LOL

“We have lots of tournaments going and we’re getting sponsored as well. There are about twenty players who consistently show up to tournaments and meets and about ten more than show up every six months. When we had our last Melee tournament in December last year we had thirty-seven people show up, compared to twenty-two in mid 2006.”

THAT'S FIFTEEN PEOPLE!
FIFTEEEEEEEEEEEEN

Fifteen is now part of the Cok Nice Yayuhz routine.

COK
NOICE
YAYUHZ
FIFTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN

Scrubs

Smash Lord
Lol really is it the most recent issue??

I'll have to check it out...

Josh are you up for some Brawl today? I'll give you a call. Oh an anyone else if they wish.

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
can someone hold onto the issue for me, I'd like to read it too to see how much they edited.

edit: They took out a bit actually, incl the bit that took me like an hour to write XD

What is it about Nintendo's characters that you think endears them to popular culture?
For a video game character to endear itself to popular culture, it needs to be more than iconic. It needs to have a flesh-and-blood personality, as any great character, cartoon or otherwise, has had historically.

In the past, the technology has not allowed characters like Mario, Pac-Man or Sonic to have fully fleshed out in-game personalities. Their personalities have evolved only after the characters branched out into more traditional media.

Today, however, the technology has evolved such that it allows characters within games to have complex nuanced personalities, a fact that most game developers have not yet taken advantage of. As they do though, I believe we’re going to see the emergence of characters that could succeed on the heretofore unachievable scale of past classic figures like Bugs, Mickey, Goofy and Daffy.

What is it about Smash Bros. that sets it apart from other games for you?
I think it just the accessibility of it. It’s one of the easiest games to pick up and play yet also one of the hardest to master. I would have to say the main reason is the amount of variety on the characters. You see games like Tekken and Street Fighter and at a glance the characters all look move the same way pretty much. Yet in smash each character moves differently, has different attacks and has strengths and weakness' against other characters that greatly influence the outcome of a match. Plus how many games out there let you beat the crap out of Pikachu and get rewarded for it?

Why did you decide to retire from competitive play?
Smash is a very demanding game both mentally and physically, both of my hands have signs of carpal tunnel and I can only play for a couple hours max before I need a break. If you thinks that’s a lot we used to have what’s called a “STD” or rather a Smash Till Dawn. We’d go for upwards of 15-20 hours at a time and only stop for bathroom or food breaks (which would usually happen during matches). That and I’ve just lost my competitive edge for the game. I’ve been to the top so there isn’t much else for me to accomplish and overtime I just got lazy. I know I can still compete and win but I just don’t feel the drive for it anymore.

How important is the social aspect of Smash Bros?
I had pretty much given up on smash in early 2007, a mixture of work and social commitments just pushed it further out of my life. I was really only going to meets and tournaments just to meet up with everyone else, smash was secondary to me and I think that’s really what separates smash bros from other competitive games is the social aspect. Due to it’s sometimes laid back nature it’s generally a lot more fun to play and sometimes when you make mistakes like falling off the stage you just laugh with all your mates instead of having a rage. I think because Melee wasn’t an online game it got a lot more social attention than others do, so you have to take your console or controller to your mates place or vice versa. I’ve met a lot of people playing smash bros and they’ve all become very good friends of mine who I regularly speak too. If it wasn’t for them I probably wouldn’t have gone as far into smash as I did.

What made you want to main Marth over the other characters?
At first I mained Ganondorf because at the time all I knew was to spam the B button, and his B moves were some of the strongest attacks in the game. I went to my first smash meet and I didn’t even know how to roll or dodge so I got completely smashed over and over. But the guys there were very supportive and taught me the basics and from that I decided to pick Marth. He has the best range in the game and also very high priority of attacks. Furthermore he’s a very easy first character to pick up. Especially when you pull of a ken combo (named after a move that the world #1 player does often) or a tipper (when you hit with the very tip of his sword) it just drains your opponents will to play and for me puts him a step ahead of the rest.

Do you feel Brawl has advanced much from Melee and if so, how?
To be honest I think it has taken a step backwards. The general speed of the game has taken a huge dive and there aren’t as many advanced techniques as melee. What made melee so in depth was the physics of the game combined with the speed. It created an incredibly fast paced atmosphere with quick thinking and lightning reflex’s. If you missed one tech or pressed the wrong button it can cost you a life in higher level playing fields. However with Brawl the game has slowed, the characters are heavier and don’t die as easily so there’s more room for error. The amount of characters available is impressive though and there all unique in there own way.

How healthy is Queensland/Australia's competitive Smash scene?
Well there are about 20 players who consistently show up to tournaments and meets and about 10 more than just show up once every 6 months. When we had our last Melee tournament in December last year we had 37 people show up. That was compared to the record 22 that showed up in mid 2006. It slowed down a bit after the December tourney but now that most smashes have imported Brawl it’s picked up again. We have biweekly meets set up now as well.

What direction would you like to see Australian competitive gaming go in?
I’m more than happy with the way it’s going at the moment. We have lots of tournaments going and were getting sponsored as well so you can’t really ask for anymore. If I have any complaints about gaming it would just be the prices but that’s a whole different story. If your interest in getting into the competitive scene then head over to www.smashboards.com and check out the Regional Zones for the Australian section.

Sirias

Smash Champion
Olol: "When you fall off you just laugh rather than rage."
My, that must've just been something you thought up of on the spot to not sound like a **** and make Smash look better than the others. XD
I think that in every game, played as a friendly match, everything isn't taken seriously.
It's just that you 'can' kill yourself in Smash, as opposed to Tekken, which is for gay lame. =/

Anyway, that was kool to read. d: Neat that you did all that, Zac, oror.
It makes me hard thinking about how sexy you are.
I mean... c:

Sirias

Smash Champion
lol my sister bought me and caleb brawl and i havent even touched it
i should go play so they dont feel bad but i cbf =/
still i wanna play that... subspace emissary thing that might be neat =]
is that connection tour thing on at carindale or something?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I have to work during the Carindale one.
Might make it on sunday though.

lol, just played some online brawl.
Lag much.

Question:
How to get 2 Chermside :laugh:

If anyone can tell me before I figure it out and post it here would be awesome.

Scrubs

Smash Lord
The 325 or 355 or something like that... It leaves from Adelaide St opposite the new library in the city.

My pain pills makes me happy

NG7

Smash Lord
What time does this connection tour gig start and where in Chermside is it?

Scrubs

Smash Lord
I think is starts at 9AM

So we should meet in the city at 8 then bus it out there

I would like to drive people but I can't, I am a cripple from the surgery

On the Nintendo website it just has dates...

They are running daily brawl competitions!!

It seems like a lot of people from

http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9993

that site are going... and will need some showing up.

I think it will be a good opportunity to grow the scene.

I just pray that we can use GC contollers.

Also has anyone heard of this Slick guy... he is a QLDer and he is on the boards and that Aussie nintendo site but he doesn't show up to anything.

Bjay

Smash Lord
Have fun guys, don't forget to post up pics, details, etc :)

Assuming it starts a 9, you might want to show up a little earlier as spots are limited and it would suck having to miss out for the whole day.

Of course I'm going by this by the process of last year's tour...I believe previous tours were like this too.

The line gets long really fast.

EDIT - Good luck all ^_^

Sirias

Smash Champion
i might be busy this saturday but sundays alright for me
o: and monday and tuesday olol so maybe ill go on those days

sounds like fun
slick sounds a bit like me d:

madman0017

Smash Rookie
Well I just pop in and out of here don't I? (that sounds wrong now that I've re-read it)

So... I was gonna hop over to Carindale on Tuesday to both pick up PAL Brawl and play some randoms.

But I just wanted to check if it was worth it to go.

Get that Rat

Smash Lord
Guys. Just win the tournament and get cool big prize. Probably going to be a Wii or something.

Then we use that Wii as a prize to pull in noobs to our tournaments, except one of us will always win, and the winner won't get the Wii, in fact, we'll just use the Wii as a prize over and over again to pull in noobs.

Cunning scheme planned out.

Sirias

Smash Champion
Indeed, DDR is for lose now. ITG is fun though, olol. But the same thing, over DDR. I suck at it now anyway.

At least one of us should go on each day and win each day. d:
Hooray.
Suicidal race here we *** in the pants. <3

So who's going on Sunday? I mean tomorrow.

Radiance

Smash Journeyman
Lol at rules.... At least we get to use GC controllers.
LOL................

I went to the tournament today at chermside... here is my report:

So I rock up nice and early to ensure I have a spot, well, to my suprise their is a queue of about 30 people in line, ready for the tournament, anyway I line up and start chatting to some guy who plans to use zero suit samus. (takes 1 hour 30 mins from GC)

Anyway, they have displays with about 4 TV's playing brawl so people can get some practise before the tournament starts at 10am. Anyway, its 4 player FFA and whoever wins, I lost in the 1st round by 1 death, had 4 KOs and 2 death, while the zero suit samus player had 4 KOs and 1 death. I played Zelda.

anyway, info:

- 2 people MUST USE THE WII REMOTE, just hope that you aren't called up as one of the last 2 competitors.
- You cannot use your own controler.
- You cannot pick a hidden or secret character, as they dont have them.
- YOU PLAY ON A PLAZMA THAT CAUSES LAG..........
- All stages are random and turned on.
- Once you lose, your out, a very nice trip for a 2 minute game.
- Lining up together means you play eachother.

MY ADVICE:

- Choose a character with a powerful UP-Smash as half the stages that are picked suit these types of characters.
- If you can chain grab into death with DEDEDE then do it.
- GET THE SMASH BALL NO MATTER WHAT OR YOU WILL PROBABLY LOSE. THIS IS THE MOST FRUSTRATING PART OF THE TOURNAMENT. PEOPLE WIN GAMES ALONE WITH IT, I lost because the samus killed 2 people with the smash ball at the beginning fo the game, forcing me to go all out and still falling short.
- DO NOT TAKE DAMAGE at the start of the game, you should run and just wait, no point taking damage at this point, I did, and it wasn't worth it as the items kept changing the way the game was played. You will be lagging, get used to it, get some distance and focus on killing stealing and using items only, the players are so random and u can't react as you would like to due to lag and wii remote.

Characters you should consider using:
- Pikachu won the most matches with thunder abuse.
- Use pikachu cuz the stages will usually suit thunder abuse.
- Noobs think pikachu is vulnerable and will attack you even if you use thunder.
- Pikachu's thunder seems to get the smash ball with thunder really easily.
- Ike seems to hit noobs really easily, and his upsmash is legendary.

I lost on some stage where yellow walls are on either side of you, and the only way to kill people is to up-smash or ariel them, again, if u choose a character make sure they have good killing moves in the air, and seriously focus on getting the smash ball since I'd say 90% of matches were won with it.

Radiance

Smash Journeyman
yes 5 people approached me after my match, exclaiming my pro zelda apparently and said i was unlucky etc.

they asked if i played in regular tournaments, told them about smashboards.com, and that there is an active scene who play tournament and have occasional get-togethers.

it seems zac is famous btw.

that is all, maybe if i had gone further than round 1 i might have told more people about this site and otherwise, anyway im going tomorrow again despite the terrible luck i had today, as i need to win another copy of brawl since our copy stopped working last week.

edit: top 4 win a prize, the winner of that wins a better prize, no idea what it is didnt bother staying after.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Haha, I would have just used Ike.

Ike is like godtier > noobs.

The amount of people you can hit with fully charged F-smash is laughable.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
MUST GET TO CONNECTION TOUR.
BUT HAVE...NO CLEAR WAY...TO GET THERE...

Let's figure out a way to unite ourselves and get there, pronto.
I see the bus is the plan, but we have to make it clearer for everyone.

If I can get at least one other person to come, I'll go, otherwise we'll have to throw our support behind the bris guys, seeing most people attending will be brisbanites.

Scrubs and Radiance, gimmie your MSN's and we'll figure it out.

I'm vyse_niseal123@hotmail.com

EDIT:

Radiance, take me to the connection tour >.<

Top Bottom