• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

QAC is Back! UPDATE!!

MechaWave

Smash Champion
People thought it was gone, maybe that's why they posted things about it. Thankfully, the technique has been confirmed to return in Smash 4 so there's that.
You should wait until Smash 3DS is released. The timing is different compared to Brawl's; I think it's best to focus on the new game. Once the game is out, you can try doing QAC. There will probably be videos of the technique in the final build of the game on YouTube if people can't do it.
Quite late, but that brings up a good point for the 3DS version. The Circle Pad is a bit janky, so it could be a bit more harder to do.

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
So the demo came out for the Japanese 3DS and Pika's one of the 5 characters you can play! Can anyone double check if the QAC is still in?

Soul.

Sky just said on his stream that QAC has been removed. :ohwell:
Wait, are you sure? Well, that sucks... ._.
I haven't seen someone use the QAC outside of positioning anyways. Pikachu still has that great speed, so..

Last edited:

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
Did he test that or just say that? Zero also couldn't do it but he said it had hard to control because of the controls.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Did he test that or just say that? Zero also couldn't do it but he said it had hard to control because of the controls.
I'm not entirely sure; I overheard him say it while I was occupied with something else. :p My assumption is that he tried it a few times and wasn't able to do it. Even if it's gone, he has also been praising Pikachu as being really good, so I don't think there's much to worry about. :)

Last edited:

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
Yeah he looks super quick and most of his aerials auto cancel. I'd like to see how he does against tanks like Bowser, but I'm feeling pretty optimistic about him. Still hoping for QAC anyway!

EDIT!! M2K may have just QAC'd! Oh man is it happening?

Last edited:

Soul.

Yeah he looks super quick and most of his aerials auto cancel. I'd like to see how he does against tanks like Bowser, but I'm feeling pretty optimistic about him. Still hoping for QAC anyway!

EDIT!! M2K may have just QAC'd! Oh man is it happening?
Oh man, are you for real right now. Is this true..?

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
So unsure! I want to see it again so bad but the VGBC stream is having so many tech problems right now. M2K seemed be playing a lot of Pika but he said he never QAC'd in Brawl, so who knows if it will show up again.

Could probably check the archive later

Soul.

Looks like Sky may have been wrong! This document says that QAC is indeed back. :)
LOL yes....wait.
1.Wavebouncing is still in the game.
2.RARing is still in the game.
3. Ledge cancelling is still in the game.
4. Pivot cancelling is still in the game.
5.QA cancelling is still in the game.
6. Jab lock is still in the game.
7. Dash dancing is still in the game.
QA cancelling is still in, but it feels harder to do. You have to be super precise with it.
I guess that cleared everything.

Last edited:

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Watch ANY match against pikachu from the demo
The CPU knows how to QAC
LOL

*people hastily saying QAC isn't back*

*shoddy CPU can QAC*

But really, it's best to be very skeptical of anyone who says it isn't back in the 3DS version. Even though I was one of the first to do it in the demos along with E-ColeWorld, I could never do it on 3DS ver. I only did it on Wii U. So, in my opinion the only things that could truly deconfirm anything about QAC at this point are a lack of videos and ECW saying it's not in after trying. Anything else is almost certainly just an inability to QAC.

If someone could find the videos and times @ Goten21 Goten21 mentioned, that would be great too. :)

Last edited:

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
LOL

*people hastily saying QAC isn't back*

*shoddy CPU can QAC*

But really, it's best to be very skeptical of anyone who says it isn't back in the 3DS version. Even though I was one of the first to do it along with E-ColeWorld, I could never do it on 3DS ver. I only did it on Wii U. So, in my opinion the only things that could truly deconfirm anything about QAC at this point are a lack of videos and ECW saying it's not in after trying. Anything else is almost certainly just an inability to QAC.

If someone could find the videos and times @ Goten21 Goten21 mentioned, that would be great too. :)
I watched it on Twitch... Do they record the streams? I can find them back if y'all want to

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
I think they do record the streams, but I remember something about you having to have an option for that turned on and that the vid gets auto deleted after a certain amount of time... not sure about how that works though. I never use Twitch. :/

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
I think they do record the streams, but I remember something about you having to have an option for that turned on and that the vid gets auto deleted after a certain amount of time... not sure about how that works though. I never use Twitch. :/
Neither do I that's why I asked xD

I wish I could find it :/

Last edited:

infomon

Smash Scientist
Mario had his Nair out I think, Pika mighta hit that first? Hard to tell, so much chaos.

On FOW's stream, the up-B cancelled at the edge of the stage (like if you're in the middle of BF and you aim it so you hit against the edge, like at the top where you would walk to the edge not the hanging-off part of the edge). But he wasn't able to QAC in the main part of the stage nor the platforms.

It will take a lot of practice I think before we can confirm if it's really gone.

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
Mario had his Nair out I think, Pika mighta hit that first? Hard to tell, so much chaos.

On FOW's stream, the up-B cancelled at the edge of the stage (like if you're in the middle of BF and you aim it so you hit against the edge, like at the top where you would walk to the edge not the hanging-off part of the edge). But he wasn't able to QAC in the main part of the stage nor the platforms.

It will take a lot of practice I think before we can confirm if it's really gone.
I'm certain it's back
In one match, flynjustin or something on Twitch, CPU pika did it twice
Why doesn't Twitch have replays or smth ;-;

Soul.

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/b/567062497

Start at 15:20. What do you all think?
That definitely looks like a QAC. Pikachu was using Quick Attack on the platform and jumped right after...huh.
Quite late, but that brings up a good point for the 3DS version. The Circle Pad is a bit janky, so it could be a bit more harder to do.
Extremely late reply, but yeah, you're right. It may be harder, but then that would be a challenge...at least for me. lol

Last edited:

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
That wasn't technically the QAC you think it is, it was canceled by touching the edge of the platform, rather than just jumping before he hit the ground.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
I'm referring to the VGBC video. He ledge canceled the QA and jumped. He didn't cancel it with the jump itself, it was canceled by going off of the edge of the platform.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
On the 3DS version, I haven't been able to QAC at all. Ledge canceling them is a different story, that's still exactly the same as it was.
I don't think this is something that can be put on the circle pad being weird, because the direction you are holding while jumping never mattered at all. As long as you QA into the ground, you would be able to cancel it with a jump.

QAC is out of Smash, as far as the 3DS Demo goes. And from what it looks like in the JP version, it's gone for good.

E-ColeWorld

Smash Apprentice
On the 3DS version, I haven't been able to QAC at all. Ledge canceling them is a different story, that's still exactly the same as it was.
I don't think this is something that can be put on the circle pad being weird, because the direction you are holding while jumping never mattered at all. As long as you QA into the ground, you would be able to cancel it with a jump.

QAC is out of Smash, as far as the 3DS Demo goes. And from what it looks like in the JP version, it's gone for good.
yea sad but true thats its gone if japan version cant do it.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
So then, to clarify the tech for later, should we rename it to QALC instead? Quick Attack Ledge Cancel. Because it's still in, but that's all it technically is now.

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
Maybe its not iun the 3DS version because they removed the QAC completely. You have to remember that the 3DS build is a later build, and plenty of changes have been made since the Smashfest demo. I hope QAC is back, but I feel like they probably removed it for whatever reason

We'll only know for sure once someone gets their hands on a finished WiiU copy, I guess

Last edited:

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
A lot of people who got the demo yesterday, including myself, have tested it pretty thoroughly. Although we won't know for sure until everyone has a chance to test it themselves, it appears to only be possible on the edges of platforms. So, I was thinking it should be named QALC instead... L for ledge cancel.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Platforms only. Sorry for not clarifying on that. I haven't tested it on the main stage's ledges yet, maybe someone else has?

I could probably do it later today if no one has yet.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
You can do it off of any edge, platforms or the edge of the stage. It's just a bit more dangerous on the edge of the stage because bad spacing will cause you to go into special fall.
It's easier with a GC controller because you'll be able to aim at a 45 degree angle incredibly easily and stand at the same spot every time you start the quick attack, but it's much more dangerous with a control stick like the Circle Pad.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
I tried to QAC myself and didn't manage to do it, I also found the QAC on the ledges to work. During my testing, I think I saw something and I'd like some confirmation from other players. When doing a QA on the ground, you get different landing animations whether you hold down or not. Not holding down gives you a hard landing, holding down gives you a soft(er) landing, with less lag. Can someone confirm ? I don't know if the possible reduced lag is useful at all vs huma players, these CPUs never punish UpB when I do it.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
It looks like so far you can't QAC anywhere, but heres a possibility and summary of things too
1) You cant do a full QAC on 3DS
2) You can QAC on ledges and edges on 3DS
3) You could QAC on stages in the WiiU demo (confirmed from video and trustedfriend)
4) There was never full confirmation you could QAC on 3DS anywhere on the stage
So the last thing possible is that its possible to QAC on wiiu and not 3DS, but if not its because it was changed since the demo most likely.

I tried to QAC myself and didn't manage to do it, I also found the QAC on the ledges to work. During my testing, I think I saw something and I'd like some confirmation from other players. When doing a QA on the ground, you get different landing animations whether you hold down or not. Not holding down gives you a hard landing, holding down gives you a soft(er) landing, with less lag. Can someone confirm ? I don't know if the possible reduced lag is useful at all vs huma players, these CPUs never punish UpB when I do it.
Something like this happened to me when I played the demo, but I couldnt figure out how or what I did.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
I'm not noticing any difference between holding down and not holding down.

But there is a thing, it appears you have less ending lag if you touch the ground as the move ends, rather than going into the ground a distance. But it doesn't seem like a lot. I'll have to mess around a bit more with it when I can get some camera zoom and training mode.

E-ColeWorld

Smash Apprentice
During the bestbuy smashfest, nobody really confirmed that qac (not qalc) was actually in. Now that y'all mentioned it about the ledges are the only possible way to perform a qac on the 3ds version, I did but just on the ledge during the smashfest. I remember saying to a friend of mine that it's harder to do it on 3ds. I was wrong. Y'all just confirmed that it's only possible with ledges etc...

Qac was only confirmed in the wiiu version during smashfest. I think there is still a chance!

Top Bottom