• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I thought the plan was that this thread gets moved to the Video Games forum and gets renamed "Panel de Pon General" during "off" times.

Or at least, I hope that still is the plan. I have some very fond memories of this thread and I'd hate to see it go. Maybe I'm just a big nostalgic sucker...

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I thought the plan was that this thread gets moved to the Video Games forum and gets renamed "Panel de Pon General" during "off" times.

Or at least, I hope that still is the plan. I have some very fond memories of this thread and I'd hate to see it go. Maybe I'm just a big nostalgic sucker...
That is also an option.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
We couldn't let Panel de Pon have top billing? Eh, I guess it's not that important.

Does anyone know when the results of the DLC poll will be announced? (If they're all going to be announced all at once that is.) I'm not getting my hopes up for Lip at all, but I'd like to save the date.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I was actually considering making a Lip support thread in Oni333's group, but we just got moved here and I'm not sure if it'll... draw attention away from this thread, I guess. (It's a silly worry, but no one ever said worries had to be grounded in reality. : P)

What do you guys think? Should I go for it?

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I was actually considering making a Lip support thread in Oni333's group, but we just got moved here and I'm not sure if it'll... draw attention away from this thread, I guess. (It's a silly worry, but no one ever said worries had to be grounded in reality. : P)

What do you guys think? Should I go for it?
Ask the thread owner first.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I can't see YH/Valkyrie having any real problem with it, but I guess I might as well ask him for permission.

Last edited:

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
As mentioned before, to celebrate Panel De Pon's 20th anniversary, I will be making a video talking about Panel De Pon and various facts, trivia, and rumours. If anyone would like to contribute, through providing with such things and background information of the series (I wonder if I can find out each of the people who worked on each of the Panel De Pon games), or giving me permission to utilise Panel De Pon fan-art you may have made, this would be appreciated. Now would be the last chance, as I'll be making the video tomorrow.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I was going to draw a picture for the 20th anniversary, but I don't think it'll be done by tomorrow... If I manage to finish before then though you can definitely use it. ^^

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Well 20 years is almost here. Which is weird for me to say because it's in reference to Panel de Pon and me lol.

I love to doodle, but I'm not usually one for actually doing artsy art despite having a huge desire to do something like that. I'll set some time aside today to draw something for the anniversary and myself! It's a win-win!

In the meantime, I suppose it's fair to start the celebration a little early with a casual Lip.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
If I were Nintendo I wouldn't only put in characters that were fan requests. I'd plan for a bunch of characters, some chosen by me (Nintendo) and some chosen by fans. This way even low-voted characters with decent moveset potential would still have a chance.

To be honest I'm not completely a fan of leaving everything up to first-past-the-post democracy (not a political opinion, just a distaste for how it's being done here). Because by doing that you're just reducing it to a numbers game, where only the character with the highest number of votes is the winner, so you're opening up the possibility of letting a character in the game that's actually quite reviled by the majority of the players, but got in anyways because he/she had the highest number of voting fans.

If we get a universally disappointing selection of DLC characters (like Waluigi, Pichu and Bandana Dee), then the outcry will be enormous and this system will be the reason why.

Last edited:

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
I was going to draw a picture for the 20th anniversary, but I don't think it'll be done by tomorrow... If I manage to finish before then though you can definitely use it. ^^
That would be fantastic, although do not worry about pushing yourself if you cannot get it done by today. I'll be organising the video tonight, and probably finish it up in the morning, then set it to render. If you manage to post it up here in time, I'll be sure to include it, with you credited of course.

OBJECTION ! Bandana Dee could be awesome !
Agreed! While I do prefer additional Nintendo series to gain representation, I do have a soft spot for the Kirby series (it is my favourite video game series of all), and Bandanna Dee would make for a great additional Kirby rep and SSB fighter.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I don't dislike Bandana Dee, but he's severely lacking in moveset potential. What would his Final Smash even be? Lip might not be as well-known, but there are many ways of making her unique, interesting, and fun, as proven by all of the wonderful movesets this thread has seen in the past, and in the end, that's what's considered when making a SSB character.

(...besides, I've got a soft spot for Adeleine. I know her chances are even lower than Lip, but she could be really fun.)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
This is the old Lip thread. We just managed to "save" it from being locked and archived with the rest of the character threads by way of turning it into a general PDP discussion thread. There's no problem with continuing discussion of Lippy as DLC here.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
This is the old Lip thread. We just managed to "save" it from being locked and archived with the rest of the character threads by way of turning it into a general PDP discussion thread. There's no problem with continuing discussion of Lippy as DLC here.
Yeah, but it'd be nice not to be separated from the rest of the community you know. Hell, the K. Rool and Isaac threads have moved over to oni's group. It'd just be nice to have a thread in that group.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, but it'd be nice not to be separated from the rest of the community you know. Hell, the K. Rool and Isaac threads have moved over to oni's group. It'd just be nice to have a thread in that group.
Lip's not that big of a character overall anyway. It would be nice to be stick to the same community, but yeah, its kinda meh overall. This thread was largely just a general Puzzle League/Panel de Pon discussion thread anyway. (The Isaac thread kinda was the same for GS.)

At the same time, though, we can't really go too off-topic in this thread. Anything we talk about still has to be Lip-related. We can't just bring up leaks and rumors and how they can pertain to Lip, or discuss the possibilities of what other characters bring to getting more or less Panel de Pon representation. It still has to stick to discussing Panel de Pon, so it probably wouldn't hurt to have a separate Lip thread which is just a general fun chat for Lip fans, while this one stays more on topic (and likewise gets less updates).

There is a whole style of Smash not represented yet that could be with Bandana Dee. You know, THE ****ING SPEAR! (seriously why are there no spear users). Also btw, are we transitioning over to oni's thread. It'd be nice to have a thread on there.
Simply having a spear isn't enough to make him stand out. A lot of potential characters can use a spear. Bandana Dee's is incredibly short, though, even shorter than Marth's sword, which doesn't bode well for that style of a moveset, and Sakurai himself even shot down the idea of Waddle Dee in the past. It doesn't help that "Bandanna Dee" is always just considered a generic Waddle Dee anyway.

But that has nothing to do with Panel de Pon.

LipFlare

Smash Cadet
Hello again!

So the thread is here again thanks for the saving.

Yay for the 20th anniversary of Panel de Pon. Unfortunately I am a bad contributor... so yay for the anniversary.^^

Hmm "market-research-SMASHBROS*-ballot" still have no open result-a like- thing? Sceptic me? No. I am pleased to be able to somehow show Nintendo that Lip AND Panel de Pon are not that obscure to the west -neither as a smash bros character nor as a game. I will be ready for the next round if it calls for it!

So far my thoughts have a good time and a good game for you all (20th anniversary you know ... Yay!)

With best regards

LipFlare

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Happy b-day Lip. Unfortunately, I have a theory that's probably bad news for most of you (not for me, though).

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/...ip/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

If this rumor is correct (hard to say if it is, I have no idea who this guy is), I think its Panel de Pon. Its not one of Nintendo's "big" IP's, those are coming next year. Today is the Panel de Pon anniversary, and Panel de Pon would work great on Mobile by switching the cursor to sliding around on the touch screen. Plus, Panel de Pon is flexible, they can add numerous Nintendo characters to a roster lineup, and even gradually extend it over time if they wish.

If this is legit, I think its Panel de Pon. And you guys will hate it, but I think it'd be great.

EDIT: According to the rumor, its an established Nintendo IP, but not one of Nintendo's "big" ones. Those would be coming next year.

Last edited:

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
JaidynReiman JaidynReiman

Any revival for Panel de Pon would be excellent in my opinion. And actually, a mobile revival is probably the best thing you could hope for with this franchise. It could potentially compete with Candy Crush Saga and since those types of games have a largely female audience, I can actually see Nintendo considering using fairies in the West for once. Maybe Lip will finally make her way to America.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Any revival for Panel de Pon would be excellent in my opinion. And actually, a mobile revival is probably the best thing you could hope for with this franchise. It could potentially compete with Candy Crush Saga and since those types of games have a largely female audience, I can actually see Nintendo considering using fairies in the West for once. Maybe Lip will finally make her way to America.
Yeah, but when I've tried explaining my opinions on it in this thread in the past everyone completely hated on the idea. I think its an excellent idea, personally. Touchscreen controls for moving panels would be an excellent way to handle it, and with potential additions like online multiplayer and having a large variety of characters to unlock (namely, a variety of different Nintendo characters; which is probably where microtransactions would come in), I think it'd be a great way to bring back the series. And for those who prefer the traditional gameplay, the 3DS/Wii U versions will have the normal cursor controls (there will at least be a 3DS version of whatever Mobile games they come out with most likely).

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Oh, man. PLEASE let this be the case! I don't even care if it's mobile or not, this is possibly the last chance for Lip and Puzzle League as a whole.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
As usual, I'm kinda late to the party to join in on the discussion. I've just been too busy to keep up with smashboards as a whole, though I admit part of it is me procrastinating on catching up since I'm always left so far behind.

..Anyway! It's Panel de Pon's 20th today, which I've been greatly looking forward to all year. I had a lot of plans for stuff I wanted to do for it, but work and college haven't left me a lot of time to prepare, and I've shown up mostly empty handed, sad to say. I'll get some stuff to show off eventually though!

On the bright side though, the Panel de Pon tag on pixiv flourished during this time and we got a lot of awesome new pictures. To help celebrate, I'll share one I really liked!

Happy BIrthday, Panel de Pon!

One thing I did manage to do for myself though was import Nintendo Puzzle Collection for the GCN (though I had to get an action replay in order to get past region lock). When I have a moment, I'm gonna sit down and happily play through it on my big screen. I've played it on an emulator before and it's really hard.

As mentioned before, to celebrate Panel De Pon's 20th anniversary, I will be making a video talking about Panel De Pon and various facts, trivia, and rumours. If anyone would like to contribute, through providing with such things and background information of the series (I wonder if I can find out each of the people who worked on each of the Panel De Pon games), or giving me permission to utilise Panel De Pon fan-art you may have made, this would be appreciated. Now would be the last chance, as I'll be making the video tomorrow.
Darn, I'm probably too late by now. I have a lot of stuff I'd love to contribute, haha. I've spent a lot of time trying to analyze Panel de Pon's "lore" and characters to the bone.

EDIT: Oh and as much as I love my Roll avatar(s), this occasion requires me to switch to a fairy!

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I haven't visited the thread much, have I?

जन्मदिन मुबारक हो, Lip!

Yeah, but when I've tried explaining my opinions on it in this thread in the past everyone completely hated on the idea. I think its an excellent idea, personally. Touchscreen controls for moving panels would be an excellent way to handle it, and with potential additions like online multiplayer and having a large variety of characters to unlock (namely, a variety of different Nintendo characters; which is probably where microtransactions would come in), I think it'd be a great way to bring back the series. And for those who prefer the traditional gameplay, the 3DS/Wii U versions will have the normal cursor controls (there will at least be a 3DS version of whatever Mobile games they come out with most likely).
I think people are worried it would be full of micro-transactions, which I very reason I really dislike Candy Crush Saga, even if the gameplay is good. Though it depends on how well Nintendo does on mobile format.

I think it will be great revival too. PDP's mechanics translate well to a touchscreen.

Can I just say that it's easily the most beautiful Panel de Pon art I've ever seen? :love:

:231:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Asdf that picture is gorgeous. : D I'd love to put it up on F Yeah Panel de Pon, but I know Japanese artists can get kinda sensitive about their work. Still convinced I'm partially responsible for Kuchiri of Fairies' Secret Base packing up and leaving...

I actually think I wouldn't mind a freemium Panel de Pon game at this point, so long as they don't go overboard and make it so that free players can't even pretend to compete. (As in, "Would you like to pay 5 gems/$2 US for a free garbage block?" A Pokémon Shuffle-type system would work better - maybe with a retail release like Rumble World that omits the real money trade completely.) I'm kinda fairy-starved and willing to take whatever I can get, really.

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Happy b-day Lip. Unfortunately, I have a theory that's probably bad news for most of you (not for me, though).

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/...ip/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

If this rumor is correct (hard to say if it is, I have no idea who this guy is), I think its Panel de Pon. Its not one of Nintendo's "big" IP's, those are coming next year. Today is the Panel de Pon anniversary, and Panel de Pon would work great on Mobile by switching the cursor to sliding around on the touch screen. Plus, Panel de Pon is flexible, they can add numerous Nintendo characters to a roster lineup, and even gradually extend it over time if they wish.

If this is legit, I think its Panel de Pon. And you guys will hate it, but I think it'd be great.

EDIT: According to the rumor, its an established Nintendo IP, but not one of Nintendo's "big" ones. Those would be coming next year.
I would love if it were Panel de pon, regardless of the fact that it's a mobile game.
As for my expectations, I mostly expect it to be something like Game & Watch Gallery or a mobile version of PAD Mario Edition. Rhythm Heaven would work too.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
INvestors meeting is going on right now and I found a VERY INTERESTING quote from the liveblog:
"Mr. Kimishima notes that 70% of “Animal Crossing” fans in Japan are women, and that Nintendo will be pushing more games to win more women users this Christmas."

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
INvestors meeting is going on right now and I found a VERY INTERESTING quote from the liveblog:
"Mr. Kimishima notes that 70% of “Animal Crossing” fans in Japan are women, and that Nintendo will be pushing more games to win more women users this Christmas."
Heh, that's interesting. He also confirmed there's more unannounced titles for this year. TP HD is definitely one of them. And of course the new Mobile title.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
"The new smartphone game will be “Miitomo”. It will be free to play, with attractive add-ons that people can pay for, Mr. Kimishima says. Others will be pay-to-download, he says."

Aaaaaaaaaand goodbye panel de pon

EDIT: NOW ON THE OTHER HAND this could open up the possibility that they will avoid making it a low quality mobile game and instead focus on making it a high quality console/handheld revival (if they even choose to), which would be more proper.

It's just way less likely that that's the case because mobile is literally the best market for modern puzzle games.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
There are still unnannounced Wii U and 3DS titles for this year, and they did say they want to push more games to female gamers. Panel de Pon is still a possibility. We just have to wait and see.

For Wii U, I can understand. Twilight Princess HD and Pikmin 4, as well as Project Guard, are all possibilities.

3DS? I can't think of anything that would be on 3DS, but they confirmed there's unannounced titles for both.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I'm expecting to be disappointed if PDP goes mobile. Not because I hate the platform or anything but because I just know that if they put it on mobile they're going to turn it into another stupid Bejewelled clone.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I wouldn't expect them to completely change the gameplay just to appeal to casual audiences (like it wasn't already doing in the first place? apparently?). I'd only be completely disappointed with a mobile PDP if the fairy characters were still missing as in Planet Puzzle League and/or if it was so mired in microtransactions as to render it completely unplayable for those who aren't willing to shell out cash.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I wouldn't expect them to completely change the gameplay just to appeal to casual audiences (like it wasn't already doing in the first place? apparently?). I'd only be completely disappointed with a mobile PDP if the fairy characters were still missing as in Planet Puzzle League and/or if it was so mired in microtransactions as to render it completely unplayable for those who aren't willing to shell out cash.
I see no reason for it to go Mobile and not have characters, that defeats the point of Nintendo's Mobile plan. Whether it has fairy characters or not...

But yeah, they'd NEVER make it a bejweled clone. There's no point in doing that, either. They'd put Panel de Pon on Mobile because its a very good original take on match-3 puzzle games.

There are still unnannounced Wii U and 3DS titles for this year, and they did say they want to push more games to female gamers. Panel de Pon is still a possibility. We just have to wait and see.

For Wii U, I can understand. Twilight Princess HD and Pikmin 4, as well as Project Guard, are all possibilities.

3DS? I can't think of anything that would be on 3DS, but they confirmed there's unannounced titles for both.
As for this, it seems the people saying there's "unannounced titles" jumped the gun, since it seems it was unannounced titles for the overall picture and not necessarily this year, although we do know Project Guard is still listed for this year, and TP HD is probably coming this year as well. Iffy if they'll have a 3DS title, though.

Well, Nintendo confirmed only Miitomo will be pay-to-start. The other games they're releasing will be pay-to-download.

Last edited:
Top Bottom