• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puff Combo's

RavensArk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3480-2573-0129
Jigglypuff DOES have combo's but they are all basically DI dependent. Each of the following combo's can be DI'd but in the scenario where the opposing player has bad DI or doesn't DI at ALL these will connect and some will kill. Keep in mind the percent range I give will be the general ranges these will work at, they will not be 100% spot on. However before I give the ranges I'll have to explain how to start them. Most of these combo's will start with nair or dair. To start with Nair you have to hit with at the LAST POSSIBLE MOMENT. It's timing is pretty strict but not impossible. Most of you already know that you can control which side the opponent goes gets hit towards. Every dair combo will HAVE to be a controlled short hop rising dair.

35-65% Nair>f-tilt
35-65% Nair>Jab

65-84% Nair>Dash attack
55-80% Nair>Fair
55-110% Nair>Bair
40-70% Dair>Dair
40-70% Dair>Bair
40-70% Dair>Fair
AT LOW %'s
Fair>grab
Jab>grab
Uair>grab
Uptilt>rest
U-air>rest
STRINGS
Jab>d-tilt
Jab>pound
fair> (if they don't tech) dash attack

Also Dair can lead into a footstool, since foot stools can't be teched we can potentially get a jab lock done with our dair or a tech chase. You maybe better off resting off of dair but thats another option.

I can't really give examples since I don't have anyone to test this out on. CPU's are impossible when it comes to testing out combo's imo. Dair to rest CAN kill but timing is very strict and percentages vary. These probably won't be TOO useful at all in competitive play but hey, more knowledge right?
EDIT:
Dair> rest is so reliable against heavy weights. Hell they arent even heavy weights if you lose a stock at 30% with this combo lol. Also updating combo list.

Last edited:

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Weak Fair > Rest is SO reliable in the air. The amount of times I've killed from popping someone up with side-B (pound), then F-air into Rest is incalculable. Good work on these combos though. I can't imagie some of them working, but I'll get in the lab soon and have a go =)

RavensArk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3480-2573-0129
One of my favorite puff combos is Fair-jab 1-2-jab 1-2-grab-pummel-u throw at low percents. Easy 30 percent
I find jab to grab pretty unreliable to be honest. Though I will give this a try.

Weak Fair > Rest is SO reliable in the air. The amount of times I've killed from popping someone up with side-B (pound), then F-air into Rest is incalculable. Good work on these combos though. I can't imagie some of them working, but I'll get in the lab soon and have a go =)
Thank you and, all of these are combo's that WILL connect if theres no DI involved.

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
Timing is strict, and it can depend on DI or your opponent jumping away, but if is zero to death

Fair, fthrow, fair, fthrow, fair, nair, fair, (keep ledge guarding)

Another is Bthrow, bair, nair, grab, fthrow, fair, nair (your opponent has to jump in between Bthrow and bair, or just be aggressive.)

None are true combos, but I'm able to do them more often than you might think.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Timing is strict, and it can depend on DI or your opponent jumping away, but if is zero to death

Fair, fthrow, fair, fthrow, fair, nair, fair, (keep ledge guarding)

Another is Bthrow, bair, nair, grab, fthrow, fair, nair (your opponent has to jump in between Bthrow and bair, or just be aggressive.)

None are true combos, but I'm able to do them more often than you might think.
None of Jigglypuff's throws are even remotely safe for follow-ups. They put the opponent way out of reach, and aren't quick to finish.

I don't mean to shoot you down or anything, but if you find that those work for you, you need to play against better people.

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
None of Jigglypuff's throws are even remotely safe for follow-ups. They put the opponent way out of reach, and aren't quick to finish.

I don't mean to shoot you down or anything, but if you find that those work for you, you need to play against better people.
I don't know. It's strange. There seemed like a time when these worked. I even used these things in tournament and it worked more than half the time. I thought I should mention it, but you're right. The combos I mentioned aren't really a string of hits, but if you pull it off, it will lead to a stock. They don't seem to be working as much now :laugh:

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
I don't know. It's strange. There seemed like a time when these worked. I even used these things in tournament and it worked more than half the time. I thought I should mention it, but you're right. The combos I mentioned aren't really a string of hits, but if you pull it off, it will lead to a stock. They don't seem to be working as much now :laugh:
If, for whatever reason, it seems to work for you, then awesome, haha! If it ain't broke, don't fix it. As far as the general consensus is concerned though, combos will come from low percents, and only with moves like u-tilt/falling u-air. Jiggs plays a style that almost negates combos, since she can't really link any moves after around 50%.

Aquamentii

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure that sourspot Fair->Rest is a true combo of your opponent DI's in. Also at low percents sour spot fair->grab works a lot. It sucks that none of puff's throws combo, probably bc Sakurai didn't want some crazy throw->rest shenanigans. Also, I'd have to test how much of it is a true combo, but you can string fairs or dash attacks at some %s

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
I'm pretty sure that sourspot Fair->Rest is a true combo of your opponent DI's in. Also at low percents sour spot fair->grab works a lot. It sucks that none of puff's throws combo, probably bc Sakurai didn't want some crazy throw->rest shenanigans. Also, I'd have to test how much of it is a true combo, but you can string fairs or dash attacks at some %s
Its a true combo even if they VI out.

PandaEffect

Smash Cadet
I've been doing last frames of nair while moving back towards opponents near ledge into bair as a kill confirm for quite some time and I'm glad it's been mentioned.

Also, Dair into Dair strings are pretty serious against big hurtboxes like Rob / Bowser / DK / Etc.

I know it's possible to get a 19 hit combo on marth as dair>dair>rest so we probably need to start working on optimizing our follow ups a bit more to get some sort of reward for getting in on someone.

RavensArk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3480-2573-0129
I've been doing last frames of nair while moving back towards opponents near ledge into bair as a kill confirm for quite some time and I'm glad it's been mentioned.

Also, Dair into Dair strings are pretty serious against big hurtboxes like Rob / Bowser / DK / Etc.

I know it's possible to get a 19 hit combo on marth as dair>dair>rest so we probably need to start working on optimizing our follow ups a bit more to get some sort of reward for getting in on someone.
Nice to hear someones been making use of the nair combo's. I've been getting them more frequently as well. Though dair combo's are hard for me to set up.

Aquamentii

Smash Apprentice
Has it been thoroughly established that Dair has no auto cancel frames and that it's impossible to follow up if you land with it While hitting an opponent(like how Kirby does Dair->any smash)?

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Jab > jab > dash grab/Pound/dash attack
Late Nair > dash attack
Up air > up air
Pound > Fair
Pound > up air

Aquamentii

Smash Apprentice
Jab > jab > dash grab/Pound/dash attack
Late Nair > dash attack
Up air > up air
Pound > Fair
Pound > up air
Some percent ranges would also help for testing these but none seem to be true combos. Jab into follow up isn't guaranteed unfortunately, a late Nair(along with normal Nair) send the opponent too far to guarantee dash attack, and Upair and pound are both too laggy both coming out and in end lag to combo, unless maybe you get it frame perfect but even then I'm very doubtful.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Some percent ranges would also help for testing these but none seem to be true combos. Jab into follow up isn't guaranteed unfortunately, a late Nair(along with normal Nair) send the opponent too far to guarantee dash attack, and Upair and pound are both too laggy both coming out and in end lag to combo, unless maybe you get it frame perfect but even then I'm very doubtful.
I can't test them right now, in fact, I won't be able to for a couple days, so you'll have to try them.

Aquamentii

Smash Apprentice
I already checked them all and none counted as combos in training room, the one that seemed closest to a combo is jab 1&2-> grab, but even that is an easy roll out.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
The training mode counter? There's your problem. The counter is not a person. Just because the counter says something is or is not a counter doesn't mean it is or isn't.

Aquamentii

Smash Apprentice
The thing is, is that a person would be able to get out of the combo even easier than a computer, with DI and whatnot. The TR scoreboard will only count several linked hits as a 'combo' if there's no eacape for the computer, so if jigg's jab into dash attack shows up as a 3 hit combo then it works, but it doesn't. And to be honest some of these don't look like combos at all. UpAir is almost useless except for air dodge reads, and even then Bair is usually a better option

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
I seem to be able to do MarioMeteor's combos all the time, even when opponents try to get out.

Also, there are better follow ups for the late nair. Even for normal nair there can be a few.

Uair to Uair is a little unreliable though...

These are not true combos, but I find them easy to follow up. Especially the jab combos.

Last edited:

Aquamentii

Smash Apprentice
I seem to be able to do MarioMeteor's combos all the time, even when opponents try to get out.

Also, there are better follow ups for the late nair. Even for normal nair there can be a few.

Uair to Uair is a little unreliable though...

These are not true combos, but I find them easy to follow up. Especially the jab combos.
I agree. I don't think that pound is fast enough to start or finish a combo, and the same with Upair. I'm still not sure about Nair, I'll look at it again. I also connect a lot of combos out of jab but it's not going to work on another puff player.

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
Pound can combo into fair at certain %s (based on your %), but you HAVE to hit with the last 1-2 frames of it otherwise they can get away.

It does set up for sour Fair > Rest though.

Caelifera

Smash Rookie
I picked up my 3DS after reading through these combos and went into Training mode for some testing (obv not the most accurate results but stay with me here).

I found that up-tilt will true combo into another up-tilt at 0%, and the timing is not very strict. What this means to me is that you don't have to spam it as fast as humanly possible, and it adds another 9% to the up-tilt combo. The whole combo is uptilt - uptilt - rest, but there are a few quirks with this combo.

1: At 0%, it isn't in your best interest to jam the uptilts together as fast as you can. In fact, it's smarter to wait for a few frames before using the next uptilt. It still counts as a true combo, and it makes landing the rest easier (you have to jump into it, and you will just barely hit them).

2: If you manage to do this in a match, your opponent is going to read it the second time. It is very possible to miss the rest because you weren't fast enough and they air dodged. If you attempt this combo more than once during a match, I suggest that you mix it up and charge a smash on the ground, like an forward smash in the direction of their DI.

As always, you could just uptilt into rest. Using a second one might help you in some rare situations, and I just kind of enjoy the extra percent.

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
I picked up my 3DS after reading through these combos and went into Training mode for some testing (obv not the most accurate results but stay with me here).

I found that up-tilt will true combo into another up-tilt at 0%, and the timing is not very strict. What this means to me is that you don't have to spam it as fast as humanly possible, and it adds another 9% to the up-tilt combo. The whole combo is uptilt - uptilt - rest, but there are a few quirks with this combo.

1: At 0%, it isn't in your best interest to jam the uptilts together as fast as you can. In fact, it's smarter to wait for a few frames before using the next uptilt. It still counts as a true combo, and it makes landing the rest easier (you have to jump into it, and you will just barely hit them).

2: If you manage to do this in a match, your opponent is going to read it the second time. It is very possible to miss the rest because you weren't fast enough and they air dodged. If you attempt this combo more than once during a match, I suggest that you mix it up and charge a smash on the ground, like an forward smash in the direction of their DI.

As always, you could just uptilt into rest. Using a second one might help you in some rare situations, and I just kind of enjoy the extra percent.
Wanna see something else you can do out of up tilt? ;)

better quality vid in the next couple days

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
One thing to note though, before the rest, the opponent should be at 41% in the air, so it MIGHT not kill Dedede and other heavy characters. Can you test that Jiggly?

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
Against most characters it doesn't kill at 0. Give them a bit of damage, or do an extra Dair. It can be hard, but it's still a great combo. Even if you don't get the rest, super easy 50%.

PandaEffect

Smash Cadet
Against most characters it doesn't kill at 0. Give them a bit of damage, or do an extra Dair. It can be hard, but it's still a great combo. Even if you don't get the rest, super easy 50%.
Just saw your post on reddit! added a webm showing how chaining dairs work, hopefully this gives people the motivation to grind that dair mastery! Working on a sheet with kill percents from dair -> rest in all stages and characters which ill post eventually on here.

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
Just saw your post on reddit! added a webm showing how chaining dairs work, hopefully this gives people the motivation to grind that dair mastery! Working on a sheet with kill percents from dair -> rest in all stages and characters which ill post eventually on here.
Sounds great man!

Aquamentii

Smash Apprentice
I've had trouble Jab reseting with Jiggs. I can do it reliably with other characters so I know it's not my timing, but whenever I do Ftilt (I can get it easily with Dsmash) to lock opponents it doesn't work and they are freed. I can't seem to get it regardless of %. Is there a specific hitbox you have to get them with? Or does it only work at like 0%?

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
I've had trouble Jab reseting with Jiggs. I can do it reliably with other characters so I know it's not my timing, but whenever I do Ftilt (I can get it easily with Dsmash) to lock opponents it doesn't work and they are freed. I can't seem to get it regardless of %. Is there a specific hitbox you have to get them with? Or does it only work at like 0%?
It has to be under 20% :(

Aquamentii

Smash Apprentice
It has to be under 20% :(
Ah, thanks. Also, I've heard about Jigg's sleepy cap having different physics? Is this a thing?(in case it allows for combo extensions or easier whatever)

Last edited:
Top Bottom