• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Proposed Ruleset for Smash 4 Tournaments

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
All I want is for you to quote the entire part next time. It is true that he starts balance there, starting on something like RC would be very difficult. But he does care enough to work on balance for all the other stages too, so they are important in terms of balance.

Yea that's fine. Even though he does mean well, sometimes that balance is distorted. As gamers, we play the crap out of Smash. We dig and dig and dig.....and find new ways to play it that the original developers never intended or knew existed. Even in Brawl this has happened. There are some glitch techniques that weren't purposely placed and are now used and/or banned: Meta Knight's Infinite Cape, Snake's Boost Smashing, ledge glitch on 75M, and many more.

Point is, whether or not his tests work for him, it might not work 2-3 years from now when new things are discovered.

As a side note, so far there is not one stage I dislike in the Wii U version (including the Pilot Wings stage). The only one that worries me is the Wii Fit stage, because I think it will act like WarioWare. (I can't find the picture, but it was of Wii Fit Trainer with a red sensor around her as she was posing).

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
http://kotaku.com/an-in-depth-chat-with-the-genius-behind-super-smash-bro-530744390

Sakurai: So in regards to overall game balance, what we do is we use sort of this monitor playtest where we set up players of a certain level to play highly-skilled players in an arena. For example, an arena just with maybe a single platform and we watch them fight over a certain amount of time and view video from that and decide at a high level how to make adjustments to that for the base.
P
Smash Bros. is all about position—where you're at and what kind of power the player has based on where their position is at. So it's something that players have to take advantage of. But if suddenly you create sort of a testing scenario where the position balance is removed from the equation, and you sort of start to see where, when you remove that one factor from the game, you're basically testing two players in the same circumstances, that's when you can really start to see the differences and balance between characters.
Ok, thanks.

Yea that's fine. Even though he does mean well, sometimes that balance is distorted. As gamers, we play the crap out of Smash. We dig and dig and dig.....and find new ways to play it that the original developers never intended or knew existed. Even in Brawl this has happened. There are some glitch techniques that weren't purposely placed and are now used and/or banned: Meta Knight's Infinite Cape, Snake's Boost Smashing, ledge glitch on 75M, and many more.

Point is, whether or not his tests work for him, it might not work 2-3 years from now when new things are discovered.

As a side note, so far there is not one stage I dislike in the Wii U version (including the Pilot Wings stage). The only one that worries me is the Wii Fit stage, because I think it will act like WarioWare. (I can't find the picture, but it was of Wii Fit Trainer with a red sensor around her as she was posing).
The general consensus is that that is WFT's taunt, as stage-unique poses aren't really a thing, and that's the breathing exercise effect from Wii Fit.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Overcentralization. It's logical to assume everyone will try to win and thus on a stage like Shadow Moses, you would have to pick someone who can CG or someone who isn't CGabble.
I'm not sure what you mean by "it's logical to assume" as though the statement has been validated already.
Of course it's logical to assume that, as logic has a lot to do with assuming (to derive/validate), but the kind of logic we're dealing here is more about forming a stronger assumption.
First, not everyone is playing to win, I know this through experience (I mained Pichu/R.O.B. after all).
But, assuming that everyone will hypothetically play to win, there is still the fact that Shadow Moses Island is the assumed stage. In the process I use the TO would determine Shadow Moses Island to only be played on through the Agreement Clause.
Now, assuming that both players have agreed to play on Shadow Moses Island AND both players are going to play to win. Then, yes, it looks like we can be certain they will choose to either play a chaingrabbing character and/or a character that does not get chaingrabbed.
The real question is: Does this violate competitive values?
From what I see, no, it does not.
Not unless you can validate "overcentralization" as a principle element for a competitive standard. First, define it, then demonstrate that it either falls under one of the established guidelines from competitive play or clearly show that it is another case.
I'll be waiting for this, it's an interesting concept.

Right off the bat, we've eliminated every character that can be CG'd by Dedede. If your opponent CPs you and says "Shadow Moses", you can't pick those characters lest Dedede appear because it will result in a loss.
I see you have a fundamental grasp of the game's character strategies.

From an entirely neutral standpoint, "so what"? Why NOT allow that? It's still competitive!
Good question, what's your answer to that?

Well, people don't play smash brothers to play as Dedede (or characters he can't CG) on Shadow Moses. They just don't. So forcing everyone to play D3 and characters that are good against D3 pushes us down a bottleneck that results in D3 being unplayable on the stage and everyone laying Olimar or some crap, all decided at the start. Not a "disadvantage" reason, mind you. This is due to the game revolving around single concepts that lessen the game's depth on its own.
It may be assumed that "everyone" will play Olimar or "some crap". But in practicality does this happen? Does the stage even get picked? It's a pretty big MAYBE, and even more suspicious is this "some crap" idea.
First it's Dedede "overcentralizing" the game, but then we find that it will be Olimar, and finally you admit there is "some crap" that you have yet to examine. What we find is the stage is not overcentralized and the argument clearly isn't yet fully formed.
Now, admittedly, I am agreeing with you that (as a competitive player) I would not want my opponent choosing this stage, just as reasonable as it may be that any one of us could object to any stage that has some kind of shenanigans to it (no matter how minor), so this is why I support the Agreement Clause in rules where stages outside the Standard Stages MUST be agreed to be played on.
If you and I both want to play King Dedede on Shadow Moses Island and see who is king penguin chaingrab ***** master, than all the much more freedom to the two of us, GL&HF, may best penguin win - MWAHAHAHAHA :dedede:

There is also a rule in place that prevents characters like D3 to continuously chain grab, I think the rule is "Any infinite that goes past 200% is considered stalling."
I am originally familiar with the rule ending at 300%, not 200%.
But is this justified under a competitive ruleset?
Guess what? I would say it is not as there has been no hard evidence supporting a ban.
Too vague! What if you are an extreme heavyweight character at 290% and I am playing a character that may not KO you with a throw at that percent, but I have the option of throwing into another grab and guaranteeing a KO?
Guess what? That THREE SECONDS it takes to grab & throw for a guaranteed KO just DQ'd me from the entire competition for "stalling" even though it essentially ended the match immediately.
Now, how silly is this rule?
There's a few areas to look at in it, but the Competitive Standard is NO BANS unless absolutely necessary, lest we succumb to scrubbery! So, ban now without giving it anything than a herd mentality thought and risk being a scrub community or actually thoroughly examine it before implementing an extra ludo clause establishing the ban? I think the answer is obvious.
However, this stage will most likely end in timeouts for how long it takes to kill someone. Having to destroy a wall to kill a character in Shadow Moses is almost just as obnoxious as it is in Luigi's Mansion.
Unfortunately "obnoxious" is not a definitive principle for competitive play (or else I could say all characters are "obnoxious" and guarantee a win).
What we can say is that the design impedes competition and would thus leave it up to the TO to toggle the stages OFF, require an Agreement, and/or remove them from play altogether. That seems sufficient enough, yes?

Sakurai said:
I am Sakurai, let's play the "interpret the Sakurai quote game!"
Years ago just saying "Sakurai said this" may have tricked some people into believing it (e.g. "Smash isn't competitive" BS), but it doesn't work anymore.
I am happy.

Mormon Mammoth

Smash Cadet
Provo, Utah, but I still love Austin, Texas
Back to the more vs less stages argument. Project M's expanded stagelist is one of the major reasons I play the game and I expect that to be true with many other people as well. The diversity of stages keep the game interesting and allows a greater range of stage knowledge to come into play. This is something I believe the Smash community should look into, while making sure none of the stages are broken.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Tommy you are not worth talking to.
The irony of this post addressing me, lol.
Let me know when you figure out how to back up that statement, otherwise we'll leave it as your opinion and move on.

Back to the more vs less stages argument. Project M's expanded stagelist is one of the major reasons I play the game and I expect that to be true with many other people as well. The diversity of stages keep the game interesting and allows a greater range of stage knowledge to come into play. This is something I believe the Smash community should look into, while making sure none of the stages are broken.
That is cool that you think the more stages there are available the more fun it is.
Competitively speaking, it doesn't matter if there is only one stage to play on. The real interest and fun for a competitive player is the competition.
And since you believe the Smash community should look into it, you should be happy that they are with Project:M.
But this discussion is primarily about stages used in competitive play for SSB4, feel free to add your thoughts about that.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Let me know when you figure out how to back up that statement, otherwise we'll leave it as your opinion and move on.
I've tried to reply to your posts a couple times, but you use too many words to say too little, and there's not actually much there to respond to.

Like the second half of this post:

That is cool that you think the more stages there are available the more fun it is.
Nothing to respond to.
Competitively speaking, it doesn't matter if there is only one stage to play on. The real interest and fun for a competitive player is the competition.
Made up fact about what competitive players want.
And since you believe the Smash community should look into it, you should be happy that they are with Project:M.
Nothing to respond to.
But this discussion is primarily about stages used in competitive play for SSB4, feel free to add your thoughts about that.
Maybe you just shouldn't have replied to this guy at all if you have to end by telling him what the topic is?

T0MMY

Smash Master
I've tried to reply to your posts a couple times, but you use too many words to say too little, and there's not actually much there to respond to.
The feeling is mutual.
And I request you keep me from repeating myself.

I don't think I "made up" an axiom.
Competitive players wanting to play competitive is painfully redundant, to say I "made up" a self-defining phrase is on your hands.

Maybe you just shouldn't have replied to this guy at all if you have to end by telling him what the topic is?
I can reply to whomever I want here, it's the privilage of having an account here and the right of being able to make decisions for myself ;^D
But thanks for the suggestion.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
The great T0mmy has some comprehension issues. Take note good sir. I never fully stated that 200% is the rule. However, I said "I think". Meaning I was too freaking lazy to look up the actual rule. Regardless, the rule is not silly. Please let me remind you we are talking about infinites here. Let me remind you that the only grab infinite in the game is from Ice Climbers. There will never be a situation that results in an infinite grab besides this one. D3 will eventually kill someone if there is a walk off. If there is no walk off l, there is a ledge that ll stop his grabs. Pointless to even dispute this.

There are no combos that are infinites besides on stages that are already banned.

Also, if I want to say Luigi's Mansion is obnoxious, I'm entitled to do so. Its my opinion after all. Please don't try to correct me on nonsense things. This is along your lines of logic. Is it not? :p Why test me on something so trivial?

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace

Well, even still, I honestly doubt he is able to infinite for a long period of time due to the moving stages. Also you could easily kill someone by doing this so there's no point to even reach that percent, lol.

Anyways, this is probably another good reason why that stage is a poor choice. =P

Here's hoping to a new future and non-mindless chain grab infinites!

HugS™

Smash Lord
You guys are just arguing semantics now, and not coming to a constructive conclusion.

You mean as opposed to before, when you couldn't use the words "competitive", "objective", "skill", or "fundamentals" without getting your whole message ignored and finding yourself attacked over how you can't go on with a point until you adamantly define these terms?

Yeah I guess these guys have really gone downhill since the start of this thread. They were once so promising.

Mormon Mammoth

Smash Cadet
I am sorry that i did not outrightly state that i believe a more diverse stagelist rather than the few legal stages in previous smash games would be beneficial to the community, including smash4. I meant to use project m as an example for backing up this argument instead of just throwing an idea out without any backing whatsoever.
Now, I added my thoughts about stages in competitive play for SSB4, but the entire premise of the thread isn't all about stages (though that is very important) so we may also add our own thoughts about the ruleset as well as the stages.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Take note good sir. I never fully stated that 200% is the rule. However, I said "I think". Meaning I was too freaking lazy to look up the actual rule.
Nowhere did I accuse you of such.

Regardless, the rule is not silly.
Silly is irrational (I am going by a standard definition here, look it up).
If the rule is implemented irrationally, as I have shown, then it is silly.

Please let me remind you we are talking about infinites here. Let me remind you that the only grab infinite in the game is from Ice Climbers. There will never be a situation that results in an infinite grab besides this one. D3 will eventually kill someone if there is a walk off. If there is no walk off l, there is a ledge that ll stop his grabs. Pointless to even dispute this
King Dedede's standing chaingrab disagrees with you.
Welcome to the 2008 metagame.

Also, if I want to say Luigi's Mansion is obnoxious, I'm entitled to do so. Its my opinion after all.
Never said you weren't allowed to have an opinion.
But opinion goes nowhere, it stays with you; logical argument continues to stand on established premises until a stronger argument replaces it.
Feel free to stay behind with opinion.

Please don't try to correct me on nonsense things. This is along your lines of logic. Is it not? :p Why test me on something so trivial?
You know what's more silly than trying to force silly out-of-game rules on competitive players?
Commanding me to obey your silly coercions.

Now, I added my thoughts about stages in competitive play for SSB4, but the entire premise of the thread isn't all about stages (though that is very important) so we may also add our own thoughts about the ruleset as well as the stages.
That is correct the scope of this thread is not limited to stages. The big issue right now is stages, as it is integral to the principles behind competitive play.
There's also a silly rule that says chaingrabs can't go beyond 300%, but nobody address my issue of ending the match faster by guaranteeing a chaingrab into a KO attack instead of being forced to not take the option due to a rule violation that would DQ the player. Any thoughts on that?

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
Silly is irrational (I am going by a standard definition here, look it up).
If the rule is implemented irrationally, as I have shown, then it is silly.
Shown? What did you show? (Going by standard definition here, look it up).
What you did do was bring up a horrible scenario.

King Dedede's standing chaingrab disagrees with you.
Welcome to the 2008 metagame.
Oh, thank you. Necessary to post it again? I think Overswarm beat you to it.
I admit I haven't done my research since I have been away from the scene for a long time. Even still, there is no point in going over 300% with a grab. This also goes against your scenario with what I said earlier. Isn't that funny? Even with D3 being able to do an infinite standing chain grab, he can still kill with a grab throw before it. Meaning you still do not have a valid argument in that horrible scenario that you said "shows how that rule is silly". So great job, you have "shown" me nothing except your own super power to present yourself being wrong. I congratulate you.

Never said you weren't allowed to have an opinion.
But opinion goes nowhere, it stays with you; logical argument continues to stand on established premises until a stronger argument replaces it.
Feel free to stay behind with opinion.
Comprehension skills over 9,000.

Please tell me what I'm trying to prove here? Nothing. I never said you weren't allowed to state that I didn't have an opinion. (See how this loop goes? This is how you debate, its horrible.)

Remember what you said before?

Unfortunately "obnoxious" is not a definitive principle for competitive play (or else I could say all characters are "obnoxious" and guarantee a win).
What we can say is that the design impedes competition and would thus leave it up to the TO to toggle the stages OFF, require an Agreement, and/or remove them from play altogether. That seems sufficient enough, yes?
Oh give me a freaking break! It is up to the majority of the people to choose whether a stage is on or off. You even said it yourself!

Can you stop proving yourself wrong for me? You're making yourself infamous for it, keep it up.

If people choose to ban a stage for whatever reason, isn't it their opinion? So, please tell me how opinion goes no where? If I wanted to vote for President A or President B for whatever reason, its my opinion. Same exact thing can be said about stages. The majority of that opinion chooses the next president, REGARDLESS of what proof there is or isn't. Someone is going to bring up, "well the majority of the gamers are casual". No, this is not what we are debating here. I am bringing up this point from a perspective of a TO and how the rules are created at a specific tournament. Not in a global scale.

Keep looking for "proof" and "data" T0MMY as it means nothing in this context.

You know what's more silly than trying to force silly out-of-game rules on competitive players?
Commanding me to obey your silly coercions.
Once again, your comprehension skills never fail to amaze me, keep it up! T0MMY has devolved into T00LY. I never commanded you to do anything. News to me that politely saying "please" is actually a command. Grow up (this is an example of a command). I sincerely apologize that no one likes you on these forms, but your actions make it crystal clear why they don't. Maybe change the way you act on the internet, and you might make some friends.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice

I like how you group every pro player into a single mass using by using a narrow definition of "competitive." I understand some stages are unreasonable, but fighting (and competing) within the context of a stage that actually matters is one of the things that makes Smash unique. It is just as much of a competition with stages that effect the gameplay as it is to play Smash like MvC.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
I like how you group every pro player into a single mass using by using a narrow definition of "competitive." I understand some stages are unreasonable, but fighting (and competing) within the context of a stage that actually matters is one of the things that makes Smash unique. It is just as much of a competition with stages that effect the gameplay as it is to play Smash like MvC.

He isnt making that unreasonable of a statement. If a single stage existed that made every matchup even Id be all for only playing on it. Thats a purely competitve statement.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
He isnt making that unreasonable of a statement. If a single stage existed that made every matchup even Id be all for only playing on it. Thats a purely competitve statement.

I don't want every matchup even. No one does.

I want the match up ratios to be the same on that magic neutral stage, that's what would make it really a perfect stage.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
I don't want every matchup even. No one does.

I want the match up ratios to be the same on that magic neutral stage, that's what would make it really a perfect stage.

There's a difference between a slight advantage and a huge advantage. Those stages that are currently banned are those stages that give a couple of those characters a huge advantage over others. Look at Melee at Evo2013. The top 8 were all different characters. I remember there being two Fox players. So I guess 7 different characters. The stages that were in these were "starters" (as that's what we are calling them now). These "starters" makes most of these matches as even as possible.

It really feels like casual competitive players are saying "We want a chance, so let's have random variables help us win!"

Or at least that's what I got from Capps's statement.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
There's a difference between a slight advantage and a huge advantage. Those stages that are currently banned are those stages that give a couple of those characters a huge advantage over others. Look at Melee at Evo2013. The top 8 were all different characters. I remember there being two Fox players. So I guess 7 different characters. The stages that were in these were "starters" (as that's what we are calling them now). These "starters" makes most of these matches as even as possible.

It really feels like casual competitive players are saying "We want a chance, so let's have random variables help us win!"

Man you seriously read me wrong then. O_o

I do not want a stage that makes every single matchup 50:50. That actually would be VERY bad. You want games to have perfect imbalance, not perfect balance. I know that sounds crazy, but it really is true. I want the stage to reflect the actual matchup ratio if I were to only play on a tiny list, which doesn't happen as of now. We'll never have a stage that can actually do that ever sadly.

And what works for Melee may not necessarily work for Brawl. They carry similar mechanics in places, but they are very different games. Unfortunately, the flat plat stages have not left Brawl with as much variety as they have in Melee have they?

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
Man you seriously read me wrong then. O_o

I do not want a stage that makes every single matchup 50:50. That actually would be VERY bad. You want games to have perfect imbalance, not perfect balance. I know that sounds crazy, but it really is true. I want the stage to reflect the actual matchup ratio if I were to only play on a tiny list, which doesn't happen as of now. We'll never have a stage that can actually do that ever sadly.

And what works for Melee may not necessarily work for Brawl. They carry similar mechanics in places, but they are very different games. Unfortunately, the flat plat stages have not left Brawl with as much variety as they have in Melee have they?

They do if you take Meta Knight out of the picture.

Overswarm

is laughing at you

No you wouldn't. You'd get bored and say "okay, I'm done" because you're playing dittos on the same stage over and over again.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
No you wouldn't. You'd get bored and say "okay, I'm done" because you're playing dittos on the same stage over and over again.
Dittos between 35 characters?
I only play on starters for the most part because thats why people enjoy when we play together. I also basically main 2 characters and dont even bother with others.

I dont get bored playing chess either, I dont see the relevance here.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace

*scratches head*...oh so that's why people are still playing Melee....(same stages...so many years)

Hmm let's see from a non-fighting game perspective...

*scratches head*...oh that's why people are still playing Dota2... (same map....so many years)

*scratches head*....I can go on... =/

Mormon Mammoth

Smash Cadet
That is correct the scope of this thread is not limited to stages. The big issue right now is stages, as it is integral to the principles behind competitive play.
There's also a silly rule that says chaingrabs can't go beyond 300%, but nobody address my issue of ending the match faster by guaranteeing a chaingrab into a KO attack instead of being forced to not take the option due to a rule violation that would DQ the player. Any thoughts on that?
Are there any specific characters that would not be able to make a KO off of a grab at a percent around %300 anyway? If there is, then it is a rule that needs modification. But, as far as I know, there is no character that can perform chaingrabs above %300 that wouldn't be able to get a kill off of the grab anyways. Therefore, it is unnecessary stalling and detrimental to the tournament.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Are there any specific characters that would not be able to make a KO off of a grab at a percent around %300 anyway? If there is, then it is a rule that needs modification. But, as far as I know, there is no character that can perform chaingrabs above %300 that wouldn't be able to get a kill off of the grab anyways. Therefore, it is unnecessary stalling and detrimental to the tournament.
Maybe if there were a stage in play with walls they could tech off of, but since those are pretty much universally banned anyway...

T0MMY

Smash Master
I like how you group every pro player into a single mass using by using a narrow definition of "competitive." I understand some stages are unreasonable, but fighting (and competing) within the context of a stage that actually matters is one of the things that makes Smash unique.
I was using the definition of "competitive" strictly, not as a blanket statement. All competitive players will play competitively, it is self qualifying. Like saying a fat cat is fat.
I completely agree with you though, which is why you'll see the system I offer brings something to both sides of the table; core stagelist with the option of extended stages through a gentleman's agreement, do you like that?

I believe Jigglypuff would probably not KO at 300% on the heavyweights (this is assuming an opponent will DI properly).
But this is beside the point - the point being that this rule is an example of violating competitive ethics, if something is NOT broken, no ruling should be made against it.
Any TO's reading this, do what I do, get rid of that arbitrary out-of-game scrubby rule and you'll see the games play out just fine without having to resort to scrubby banning.

What you did do was bring up a horrible scenario.
I guess you did figure out what was shown afterall, but the choice not to respond to that horrible scenario will just leave my point standing.

Oh, thank you. Necessary to post it again? I think Overswarm beat you to it.
I try to make it a rule of thumb not to read his posts, but either way it seems my point still stands.

Isn't that funny? Even with D3 being able to do an infinite standing chain grab, he can still kill with a grab throw before it. Meaning you still do not have a valid argument in that horrible scenario that you said "shows how that rule is silly".
Then it seems you completely agree with me.
Except it appears you're confused what a "valid argument" is. My premises would lead to a following conclusion, which would make it valid. I believe it's even a sound argument as well. Yes?

So great job
Thanks!

Please tell me what I'm trying to prove here? Nothing.
Makes me wonder what all the fuss is over if you have nothing to prove.

Oh give me a freaking break! It is up to the majority of the people to choose whether a stage is on or off. You even said it yourself!
I believe when you look back on my posts and verify what exactly I said you will find that I am completely against argument ad populum. One thing I am very well known for is my complete and utter detest for a "majority rule" situation - guess that just shows you don't know me at all and would cast doubt on anything you say about me.

Can you stop proving yourself wrong for me? You're making yourself infamous for it, keep it up.
Someone who has yet to substantiate their argument is in a weak position to make accusations of "wrong".
Like I said, a stronger argument will replace a weaker one, no need to go about doing something impossible like trying to prove an opinion to be "right".
Let me know when you get one of those two done though.

If people choose to ban a stage for whatever reason, isn't it their opinion? So, please tell me how opinion goes no where?
Yes, and they can sit in their room by themselves not playing on all their "banned" stages. The moment they host a public tournament they will have to support their decisions, and they can see how far "'cuz it's my opinion" gets them.
See how it works?
So, the question is, are you content to just sit there alone to your opinion or are you going to have a strong argument people are going to respect?

If I wanted to vote for President A or President B for whatever reason, its my opinion. Same exact thing can be said about stages. The majority of that opinion chooses the next president
You do realize that voting for US Presidents doesn't mean squat as well?
Go look up electoral votes.

Keep looking for "proof" and "data" T0MMY
Thanks again :^)

Once again, your comprehension skills never fail to amaze me, keep it up!
Thanks, I will! :^)

I sincerely apologize that no one likes you on these forms, but your actions make it crystal clear why they don't.
Data vs your opinion: The number of "likes" my posts receive go up on the days I post here.
Your opinion stays with you.
See how it works?

Maybe change the way you act on the internet, and you might make some friends.
I'd think if I were someone who needs to make "friends" on an internet forum I'd sooner reevaluate my life, because there's some serious improvements that could be made.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice

Well, I'm more casual, but that's not why I want more stages.
To a casual player, the spirit of the game really matters. To me, juggling is one of the most important parts of Smash. I don't want to take competition out of the game, or skill, or anything else for that matter. I just, unlike many people, don't want to take out everything that makes Smash unique, and turn it into Street Fighter with Ring-Outs.
I was using the definition of "competitive" strictly, not as a blanket statement. All competitive players will play competitively, it is self qualifying. Like saying a fat cat is fat.
I completely agree with you though, which is why you'll see the system I offer brings something to both sides of the table; core stage list with the option of extended stages through a gentleman's agreement, do you like that?
That last bit was excessively condescending, I'll get to that in a moment.
My issue with your self qualifying statement was the narrow way you used it, to make it look like simple self explanatory logic and make anyone who objects look stupid. This may be how you see it, I'm not sure.
Regardless, it doesn't seem very logical to essentially say "Stage count doesn't matter because competitive players like competing."
About that Gentleman's Agreement: No, probably not.
A player with inferior stage knowledge can simply choose to not agree on anything but FD, which somewhat defeats the point.

salaboB

Smash Champion
My issue with your self qualifying statement was the narrow way you used it, to make it look like simple self explanatory logic and make anyone who objects look stupid. This may be how you see it, I'm not sure.
Regardless, it doesn't seem very logical to essentially say "Stage count doesn't matter because competitive players like competing."
His logic is flawed, he's arguing to win not to convince. Look at these two scenarios. First, Overswarm says something and T0MMY disagrees:
Overcentralization. It's logical to assume everyone will try to win and thus on a stage like Shadow Moses, you would have to pick someone who can CG or someone who isn't CGabble.
I'm not sure what you mean by "it's logical to assume" as though the statement has been validated already.
Of course it's logical to assume that, as logic has a lot to do with assuming (to derive/validate), but the kind of logic we're dealing here is more about forming a stronger assumption.
First, not everyone is playing to win, I know this through experience (I mained Pichu/R.O.B. after all).
So now it's not logical to assume everyone is playing to win. But watch this:
I don't think I "made up" an axiom.
Competitive players wanting to play competitive is painfully redundant, to say I "made up" a self-defining phrase is on your hands.
When Overswarm says people in a tournament will be playing to win, it's without basis. When T0MMY says competitive players don't care about having more stages and that they just want competition, it's suddenly an axiom.

This is not how a discussion happens. This is not even the proper way to defend your own points.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
When Overswarm says people in a tournament will be playing to win, it's without basis. When T0MMY says competitive players don't care about having more stages and that they just want competition, it's suddenly an axiom.

This is not how a discussion happens. This is not even the proper way to defend your own points.

This is pretty much why I've stopped responding to T0MMY, he assumes everything he agrees with/promotes is fundamentally true and everyone else is wrong, it makes it impossible to have coherent discussions with him.

Mormon Mammoth

Smash Cadet
T0MMY, jigglypuff has rest. If she had an infinite on heavies, which i do not believe she does, she would be able to throw into a rest too.
I know that you already dismissed this, i just needed closure on it.

The point with the infinite chaingrabs is so the person getting grabbed doesn't lose all their momentum or whatever you would like to call it on a completely unnecessary waste of time.

salaboB

Smash Champion
The point with the infinite chaingrabs is so the person getting grabbed doesn't lose all their momentum or whatever you would like to call it on a completely unnecessary waste of time.
I thought the point was that after 300% the kill was ensured, so keeping it going is simply running down the clock -- which isn't any different from getting under FD and peach bombering, or any other method of stalling where your opponent has no option for getting you to stop.

Stalling is not allowed, the rule doesn't need more justification than that.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
His logic is flawed, he's arguing to win not to convince. Look at these two scenarios. First, Overswarm says something and T0MMY disagrees:

So now it's not logical to assume everyone is playing to win. But watch this:

This is pretty much why I've stopped responding to T0MMY, he assumes everything he agrees with is fundamentally true and everyone else is wrong, it makes it impossible to have coherent discussions with him.
First, let me say I appreciate the bipartisanship.
The thing is, he argues semantics in a way that is only self validating if you assume x is correct, and also that x is valid to what he used to prove x. It is the most convoluted circular (though it's more like a Q or a C than a O) argument I have seen in a while. No, actually, it's very much like his profile, the SSE logo.
It reminds me of a theological argument of the same nature:
God is the greatest thing in existence
Things>Ideas
I have the idea of God, and because he is the greater than all else, he must be real, rather than only an idea.

If that argument looked air-tight, then thank you, T0MMY, for reading my post. If it didn't, then you understand my problem with trying to talk to him.
I'm with Ghost on this one.

(BTW, that theological argument is an actual thing.)

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
They do if you take Meta Knight out of the picture.
And a bunch of stages banned because "MK2GUD" become legal too. ;)

But no, the game still has balance issues with flat-plats only in Brawl. It's a side effect of a conservative system that can't be gotten around.

Dittos between 35 characters?
I only play on starters for the most part because thats why people enjoy when we play together. I also basically main 2 characters and dont even bother with others.

I dont get bored playing chess either, I dont see the relevance here.
*scratches head*...oh so that's why people are still playing Melee....(same stages...so many years)

Hmm let's see from a non-fighting game perspective...

*scratches head*...oh that's why people are still playing Dota2... (same map....so many years)

*scratches head*....I can go on... =/
I think you guys missed the point he was trying to make. You DO NOT want a stage that makes all matchups 50/50 no matter what. You'd play an even matchup for all eternity, dittos are always even MUs by default. So it'd kinda be like playing dittos forever. This is what I believe he was saying. (Not trying to put words in his mouth though.)

T0MMY, you do have a nasty habit of question dodging at times, I'll at least say that about how you debate. It's a serious problem when trying to discuss things with you.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
I think you guys missed the point he was trying to make. You DO NOT want a stage that makes all matchups 50/50 no matter what. You'd play an even matchup for all eternity, dittos are always even MUs by default. So it'd kinda be like playing dittos forever. This is what I believe he was saying. (Not trying to put words in his mouth though.)
I still would enjoy it. I dont see me losing interest in a game simply because all matchups are based on pure skill regardless of choice or lack of variety in stages.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I still would enjoy it. I dont see me losing interest in a game simply because all matchups are based on pure skill regardless of choice or lack of variety in stages.

You might be surprised, if you wanna play Rockem Sockem Robots go ahead, I prefer perfect imbalances.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
You might be surprised, if you wanna play Rockem Sockem Robots go ahead, I prefer perfect imbalances.
Rockem Sockem is more mashing than skill, but I guess it makes sense.
As I implied before, I like the idea of the game being balanced, but by having characters better at different things. One may argue "That's every fighting game. It's not like we actually do Fox only." This is true. My issue is that many factors that make low tier characters worth while are removed when you remove stages that they are the best in.

Overswarm

is laughing at you

You say this and it may be the case for you individually, but historically speaking this is inaccurate. People prefer different characters, environments, etc., otherwise people would have played Street Fighter I and said "this is good, I like this" and the genre would have stopped there.

Hell, even Dive Kick has variety in characters and it's a two-button game.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
You say this and it may be the case for you individually, but historically speaking this is inaccurate. People prefer different characters, environments, etc., otherwise people would have played Street Fighter I and said "this is good, I like this" and the genre would have stopped there.

Hell, even Dive Kick has variety in characters and it's a two-button game.

You realize that all 35 characters have different playstyles and abilities right?
It would make character choice be based on preference, thats all.

Top Bottom