• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project Volnutt - Currently seeking animators!

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Well, if Zero is really going over ROB, I could probably still move mine over to someone else.

And apparently, BSZ hasn't discovered a way of using TvC animations.

Pokechao

Smash Apprentice
Hey! Guess what! Neither of you is an authority that can direct a community project! In addition to this, it's completely irrelevant to this topic. Stop acting 12, or stop posting. Your choice.
HEY! GUESS WHAT! ELDIRAN IS BASICLLY RUNNING THE PROJECT NOW
AND IT SAYS RIGHT ON THE OP THAT ZERO IS GOING OVER LINK
NOW STOP WITH THIS DISCUSSION AND GET BACk ON TOPIC N00B

Holy Lance

Smash Apprentice
Even though I've never played a game with Volnut, this project seems impressive and the character looks like a lot of fun.

Can't wait to see the progress :)

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Enough with the petty arguing over who Zero is going over. They'll probably be done by the time I get to PSA work, and animations are easy to port to other characters. Basically, if it is over ROB, I'll move.

Fakescaper

Smash Cadet
I have a small suggestion, but it looks like it probably won't get in. It'd still be awesome if you could do this though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wedc9fc5lhg

This is a vid I made with some random ideas for Megaman in Brawl, skip to 1:44 and read the info about the "Shield Arm" from MML2.

Or, just read this post.

I was thinking his down special could be the MML2 shield arm, which ABSORBS energy projectiles (like pit's arrows... or anything else Lucas/Ness can absorb) but not normal things thrown at him like a bat. (Those will still hurt him).

Also, a small thing not to many people know about MML2, is that the shield actually can be used to attack. The sheild has small white dots that float on the outside of the shield moving to the top middle. The more attacks you absorb, the bigger those dots get. When you release the shield after absorbing enough energy, it lets out a shockwave all around it. It looks bigger and does more damage depending on how much energy it absorbed. And in MML2, Trigger is able to walk/run while the shield is on, so that's something to think about. But he can't use attacks while in it. (Like his buster gun).

Ignore everything else in that video btw.

Fen__

Smash Ace
He most certainly does. I'm not sure how often he's checking Smash Boards right now, though, so be patient with him getting back to you.

Xigger

Smash Lord
I have now. So, we're using this game as reference? Looks like you're only missing a few moves. What could I do first?

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
I will go back to Volnutt soon, though I was wondering on how to make a "feathered" transition from Punch back to Standing (meaning having x animation revert to y animation and the way it changes is smooth)

Xigger

Smash Lord
I will go back to Volnutt soon, though I was wondering on how to make a "feathered" transition from Punch back to Standing (meaning having x animation revert to y animation and the way it changes is smooth)
Hard work ought to fix that. It's tough, but do~able.

Anyways, I'll get started on the walking animation. Let me know if you guys want help with anyways else, Volnutt or not, Animate or not.

EDIT: Loads fine just for me. Had no idea how far behind we were. Weird Polygon and bone structure. I have this odd feeling that the extra bones will come back to haunt us...

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
And just like that we are back! Volnutt has a chance at being completed now!

I'll get back to tweaking the physics. How do you guys think he should be? Right now, I'm going for a light weight, fast faller who's slightly faster jumping than he is running to make him more combo-oriented. (Basically, a slightly heavier fox) anyone else have any suggestions?

Xigger

Smash Lord
And just like that we are back! Volnutt has a chance at being completed now!

I'll get back to tweaking the physics. How do you guys think he should be? Right now, I'm going for a light weight, fast faller who's slightly faster jumping than he is running to make him more combo-oriented. (Basically, a slightly heavier fox) anyone else have any suggestions?
I think he should be slightly slower in run and fall speeds than Fox, being a weapon character. More like Wolf's run and fall speed than Fox. But the ratio should be the same, the combo-oriented plan is a good idea.

Fen__

Smash Ace
I agree with Xigger. Given his versatility, I wouldn't want to make him too fast for fear of breaking him.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Just a quick idea from my head struck though might not be useful but its nice to hear from you guys:
What if side step dodge becomes toggles from [previous weapon used] to [normal arm] and vice versa?

Random off-topic:
Anyone else catch the last episode of Angel Beats? I Q.Q'd and got me to work on my Brawl with Brave Song BGM lol

Fen__

Smash Ace
I don't think the sidestep thing is a very good idea. That really poses a weird problem when playing Volnutt since what might usually be to your benefit (sidestepping) may put you in a weird position. It's like gimping his defensive potential.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Just a quick idea from my head struck though might not be useful but its nice to hear from you guys:
What if side step dodge becomes toggles from [previous weapon used] to [normal arm] and vice versa?

Random off-topic:
Anyone else catch the last episode of Angel Beats? I Q.Q'd and got me to work on my Brawl with Brave Song BGM lol
Sounds like a fun idea, but it would break the dodge game. Still, it's awesome to know we can switch any animation and function with another (see sig with Snake)

Pssst..... I have a question. Is animating Megaman and changing his attributes the ONLY thing we're doing right now?

Scratch that; I have a better question. Concerning Megaman's walk, the default forward walk movement doesn't seem to match the walking speed on ROBs. Do you have a speed in mind yet or should I make my own?

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
I'm still tweaking his physics, so make the walk however you want and I'll fix the PSA speed.

Right now, animations and physics are all we can do, since making collisions for attacks in PSA requires the animations. Hopefully soon we can start on his actual moveset.

Xigger

Smash Lord
I'm still tweaking his physics, so make the walk however you want and I'll fix the PSA speed.

Right now, animations and physics are all we can do, since making collisions for attacks in PSA requires the animations. Hopefully soon we can start on his actual moveset.
Got it. I'm juggling stuff around right now, but I should be done by tomorrow.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
I kinda forgot, what's the difference of Run and Dash again? and which ones the one at max speed?
I might as well do the hardest one first (but instead of taking the MMLegends Jet Skates, I'm pulling a Lan Hikari)

BTW: Can't we port animations from the other characters (ex: Naruto PSA?) I remember someone before mentioning something similar to that

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
I kinda forgot, what's the difference of Run and Dash again? and which ones the one at max speed?
I might as well do the hardest one first (but instead of taking the MMLegends Jet Skates, I'm pulling a Lan Hikari)

BTW: Can't we port animations from the other characters (ex: Naruto PSA?) I remember someone before mentioning something similar to that
Dash is the quick moving forward right after you hit the joystick, it transitions into running, which is the max speed.

And I, too, was think of a Lan Hikari style run.

And the Naruto animations work, for the most part. I used them as a base for the jumps.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Dash is the quick moving forward right after you hit the joystick, it transitions into running, which is the max speed.

And I, too, was think of a Lan Hikari style run.

And the Naruto animations work, for the most part. I used them as a base for the jumps.
Speaking of which, Sonic's walk animation is eerily similar to Megaman's. But I'd rather mimic from Tetsuwhocares vs. Capcom.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Speaking of which, Sonic's walk animation is eerily similar to Megaman's. But I'd rather mimic from Tetsuwhocares vs. Capcom.
I don't think Sonic will work, Naruto's animations work because the game he's from has a nearly identical bone structure to Tatsunoko Vs Capcom's. Although, to be honest, I haven't tried, so let me check that.

EDIT: Looks like no one from the game works. Oh well.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Been meaning to ask this too just FMI, why is there 2 layers of the Megaman Volnutt? One is slightly bigger than the other. Any solid facts on these?
Just a guess that it's either the "partner assist" model or the "hyper move zoom" model

Progress on Volnutt: Not much, just listed unchecked polygons that aren't really necessesary

ds22: Yes please
|
|
V

Xigger

Smash Lord
Been meaning to ask this too just FMI, why is there 2 layers of the Megaman Volnutt? One is slightly bigger than the other. Any solid facts on these?
Just a guess that it's either the "partner assist" model or the "hyper move zoom" model

Progress on Volnutt: Not much, just listed unchecked polygons that aren't really necessesary

ds22: Yes please
|
|
V
Yeah, I noticed that. All those polygons makes Brawlbox lag.

I have a FitRobotMotionEtc.pac with some of Naruto's animations working.
If you want, I could show you how I got it working.
Which animations did you throw in?

ds22

Smash Lord
I included all of Naruto's animations excluding the new EscapeB.
They still have Naruto's bone translations though...
What you do is take out the animations from FitIkeMotionEtc.pac and replace an animation from FitRobotMotionEtc.pac with it.
Then it will work.

Xigger

Smash Lord
I included all of Naruto's animations excluding the new EscapeB.
They still have Naruto's bone translations though...
What you do is take out the animations from FitIkeMotionEtc.pac and replace an animation from FitRobotMotionEtc.pac with it.
Then it will work.
Hmm... so simple, and the only drawback is reassigning the Translation XYZ values... I have a hunch that I should scrap all my progress on the Walk and restart it on Naruto's. Thanks for the tip.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Hmm... so simple, and the only drawback is reassigning the Translation XYZ values... I have a hunch that I should scrap all my progress on the Walk and restart it on Naruto's. Thanks for the tip.
If we're just using Naruto's walk, I can do that. It's just busy work resetting the translations, and I'd rather have someone with animating talent handle the real stuff. I didn't want to use animations straight from Naruto to make Volnutt more original, but if you say it's okay ds22, I guess we can go with it.

If that's the plan, I'll handle the walking, Kei is getting the run, do you think you can handle the jumping, Xigger? Naruto's jump looks way to ninja-ish for Volnutt.

ds22

Smash Lord
I see no reason why you couldn't use Naruto's Walk animations.
I for one ripped those Walk animations from Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (with HEAVY bone translation fixing).

Fen__

Smash Ace
I'd say not to worry about the lack of originality in copying some of the animations for now. They can always be adjusted later to be more Volnutt-like. I think it'll be good to at least have something there in the meantime. Then, later, once the PSA is in the works for things involving animations that won't change much, other animations can be adjusted to be original.

Top Bottom