• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project Volnutt - Currently seeking animators!

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Well, I got WalkFast and WalkMiddle done, but WalkSlow is proving to be annoying. The translations wind up screwy, and EVERY **** FRAME is a keyframe for some bones. I can do it, but it's just so tedious I'm going to give it a break.

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
Well, I got WalkFast and WalkMiddle done, but WalkSlow is proving to be annoying. The translations wind up screwy, and EVERY **** FRAME is a keyframe for some bones. I can do it, but it's just so tedious I'm going to give it a break.
You did press Clean right?

-or is this one of those times where BrawlBox wigs out and makes every frame a keyframe?

-or did you have to make every frame have key frames?

Xigger

Smash Lord
If we're just using Naruto's walk, I can do that. It's just busy work resetting the translations, and I'd rather have someone with animating talent handle the real stuff. I didn't want to use animations straight from Naruto to make Volnutt more original, but if you say it's okay ds22, I guess we can go with it.

If that's the plan, I'll handle the walking, Kei is getting the run, do you think you can handle the jumping, Xigger? Naruto's jump looks way to ninja-ish for Volnutt.
Actually, I did not reset the walking to Naruto's walk. I finished the walking animation (legs anyways, upper body no) but with no walking speed. Who knew that yesterday was a national holiday >.>

Anyways I'll upload what little of a walk I have and work on the jumping. It should be much easier for me without having to worry about the movement speed...

EDIT: http://www.mediafire.com/?2jw1kiomkdl
Here's my walking animation. Maybe it could help with your walk?

EDIT2: Now that I've turned off all the unessecary polygons, I noticed how choppy that Walking animation is. Bleh.
I also noticed that the Megaman's Shadow Model is mixed in with the rest of them. Should I go ahead and set that up?

EDIT3: You jerk. Tell me to start the Jump without having any Fall frames for the Jumps to end with. So, I went ahead and made the nessecary Fall poses, Fall and FallAerial. I'll finish animating them and the other Falls as well.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
EDIT2: Now that I've turned off all the unessecary polygons, I noticed how choppy that Walking animation is. Bleh.
I also noticed that the Megaman's Shadow Model is mixed in with the rest of them. Should I go ahead and set that up?

EDIT3: You jerk. Tell me to start the Jump without having any Fall frames for the Jumps to end with. So, I went ahead and made the nessecary Fall poses, Fall and FallAerial. I'll finish animating them and the other Falls as well.
Sorry, didn't realize you'd need those >_<

And I'm not sure what you mean by set up the shadow.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Sorry, didn't realize you'd need those >_<

And I'm not sure what you mean by set up the shadow.
It's no problem, all the animations need completed anyways.

I mean the FitRobotShd, the whited-out second model in the PAC/PCS that controls the shadow of the character. It seems it's hidden under Megaman's larger polygons.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
K back, I ended up with some ******** walk-like animation for run >.< I'ma keep trying though.

Also, no way to delete the polygons? Theres more or less a doubled layer of Megaman most possibly the assist model or a zoomed in hyper move mugshot model.

Xigger

Smash Lord
K back, I ended up with some ******** walk-like animation for run >.< I'ma keep trying though.

Also, no way to delete the polygons? Theres more or less a doubled layer of Megaman most possibly the assist model or a zoomed in hyper move mugshot model.
I could go through and delete the spare polygons, but only if we need to and don't need them for anything else. I'll go ahead and delete them but wait for permission to release it in this thread.

EDIT: I went ahead and listed the polygons in Megaman's Model.

1 - 13 = Alternate Arms Shadow
14 - 27 = Other Arms
28 - 41 = Other Arms/Smaller
42 - 67 = Shadow
68 - 92 = Normal Body/Smaller
93 -118 = Normal Body

We only need the normal body and Arm transformation. I think the smaller ones are the "hyper mode" we don't need, and the Shadow polygons need to be reimported into another directory.

May I go ahead and delete the unnessecary polygons?

Fen__

Smash Ace
Just make a backup and do it. That way, regardless of the answer, all that will be done is done.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
I could go through and delete the spare polygons, but only if we need to and don't need them for anything else. I'll go ahead and delete them but wait for permission to release it in this thread.

EDIT: I went ahead and listed the polygons in Megaman's Model.

1 - 13 = Alternate Arms Shadow
14 - 27 = Other Arms
28 - 41 = Other Arms/Smaller
42 - 67 = Shadow
68 - 92 = Normal Body/Smaller
93 -118 = Normal Body

We only need the normal body and Arm transformation. I think the smaller ones are the "hyper mode" we don't need, and the Shadow polygons need to be reimported into another directory.

May I go ahead and delete the unnessecary polygons?

I was actually planning on deleting those, but I never got around to it. If you want to, go right on ahead.

Xigger

Smash Lord
I was actually planning on deleting those, but I never got around to it. If you want to, go right on ahead.
Ka-bam. Spare polygons and Shadows deleted. I'll also make the shadow model later when I find the spare time.

EDIT: Turns out the bigger polygons were the hyper mode polygons, and the smaller ones I deleted were the normal ones. It freezes. Either Megaman's bones (?) need redirected to the new polygons, or we delete the bigger polygons and have a smaller-than-already-small Megaman.

Fakescaper

Smash Cadet
I have a small suggestion, but it looks like it probably won't get in. It'd still be awesome if you could do this though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wedc9fc5lhg

This is a vid I made with some random ideas for Megaman in Brawl, skip to 1:44 and read the info about the "Shield Arm" from MML2.

Or, just read this post.

I was thinking his down special could be the MML2 shield arm, which ABSORBS energy projectiles (like pit's arrows... or anything else Lucas/Ness can absorb) but not normal things thrown at him like a bat. (Those will still hurt him).

Also, a small thing not to many people know about MML2, is that the shield actually can be used to attack. The sheild has small white dots that float on the outside of the shield moving to the top middle. The more attacks you absorb, the bigger those dots get. When you release the shield after absorbing enough energy, it lets out a shockwave all around it. It looks bigger and does more damage depending on how much energy it absorbed. And in MML2, Trigger is able to walk/run while the shield is on, so that's something to think about. But he can't use attacks while in it. (Like his buster gun).

Ignore everything else in that video btw.

I didn't get a response saying yes or no to this yet so I guess you missed it.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Finally finished something worthwhile. Complete Jump animation.

Another thought... This Megaman is being based off of a recent game, while most characters in Brawl are based off of classic versions. Shouldn't we be using some of the classic sprites as inspiration for animations?

(Especially the JUMP!)

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Finally finished something worthwhile. Complete Jump animation.

Another thought... This Megaman is being based off of a recent game, while most characters in Brawl are based off of classic versions. Shouldn't we be using some of the classic sprites as inspiration for animations?

(Especially the JUMP!)
I think whatever website you linked that from doesn't like hotlinking.

And we can do some of the classic animations (I was thinking making his forward roll a Slide)

SlimeBerserker4105

Smash Rookie
I'm just gonna pop in for a moment, but Volnutt is in a way, based off a classic game. Mega Man's Tatsunoko vs. Capcom moveset is based off of the Legends games and so that pretty much means that his moveset is based on a "classic" game.

EDIT: Ignore this, I read your sentence wrong.

Anyways, I've been watching this project from the start and I'm so glad it's back in active production again.

Fen__

Smash Ace
Why? I don't think there's a single character that doesn't take from multiple games they've been in, or, in the case of the retro characters that only really had one or two games, added completely original things.

Xigger

Smash Lord
I think whatever website you linked that from doesn't like hotlinking.

And we can do some of the classic animations (I was thinking making his forward roll a Slide)
It worked when I posted it :(

But I'm glad you agree. The lack of a fall animation in our current Megaman made me realize that Megaman needs to stick his arm up when he falls, like in the old days.

Why? I don't think there's a single character that doesn't take from multiple games they've been in, or, in the case of the retro characters that only really had one or two games, added completely original things.
My point exactly.

TommoPuppy

Smash Lord
NNID
Tommohawk
But look at Link. It's a different (incarnation of) Link in nearly every game, so their movesets are usually based off whatever game they're from. 64/Melee Link had an OoT inspired look and moveset, while Brawl Link's look and moveset was changed to be more like his Twilight Princess incarnation. Even Mei-Ling says this about Toon Link in the codec taunts. It may be Link, but there are many different Links.

The same goes with MegaMan Volnutt. He's not the original Megaman, nor is he Megaman X, or MegaMan.EXE, Model X or whatever the guy in Starforce is called. They're all different incarnations of Megaman. Battle Network and Star Force aren't even in the same universe as the platformers. Sure, I might just be being a little nerdy and technical here, but when it comes to VOLNUTT'S moveset I think it's best to not treat him like original-series Megaman or at least keep that to a minimum.

Fen__

Smash Ace
No one suggested treating him like the MM Classic. The only thing suggested was making nods to other incarnations via animations. Also, regardless of what the codecs say, the characters really don't change very much. The only things changed about Link for Brawl really are his model (outfit, clawshot, new appearance of bombs) and the gale boomerang. Only one little thing that actually affects gameplay, and it does so fairly minorly. That's probably more change than anything that has been discussed for Volnutt.

libertyernie

Smash Ace
Speaking of Toon Link, despite primarily being from The Wind Waker, four of his five alternate costumes are taken from Four Swords Adventures, despite it not being a sequel to WW (so technically not the same Link, but he looks almost the same.)

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Okay, so, I might not be posting for a while. This hiatus may or may not have to do with the Engineer update on Team Fortress 2, but mostly the former.

EDIT: And I'm fine with some animations being homages to classic megaman series, but let's not go overboard.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Okay, so, I might not be posting for a while. This hiatus may or may not have to do with the Engineer update on Team Fortress 2, but mostly the former.

EDIT: And I'm fine with some animations being homages to classic megaman series, but let's not go overboard.
Oh yeah, it probably does. I already got all of the new weapons so I'm good for now :chuckle:

EDIT: 2 things. One: Do you think we should have, I dunno, bones for the fingers? We have tons of extra bones anyways.

And about the old animations, that's a delicate art, to bring 2D into 3D, like Mario's 2D jump pose in Brawl yet in 3D. How exactly should the transition apply to Megaman?

Quick demonstration. You get the idea, right?

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
That's a pretty good animation there.

And I'd love to have finger bones, but it can't be done. Can't affix model parts to extra bones, unfortunately.

FrankyJ

Smash Rookie
@digiholic

Please, read the other message I sent to you, is really important, maybe it could help you with animations....

Xigger

Smash Lord
Really? Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll finish the rest of the fall animations in that case.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Those are nice recolors, even with the two oranges. But for some reason, I think Megaman's going to end up like Sonic and only have one small part being changed... or maybe someone really awesome will vertex hack other versions of Megaman for costumes (Hint hint)

OH YEAH! Something important! I was messing around with unlimited camera and when I zoomed in one Megaman, I noticed something about his glow. It isn't a glow, it's a transparent set of polygons. Our overdose of polygons is due to the glow effect (as well as the white shadow polygons) So if we want to get rid of them, that means ridding of his glow. His shine should stay, however.

Ronaldmcdonald

Smash Apprentice
There are 2 oranges because I havn't done the last recolour yet. If the one costume I didn't make was left as ROB the game would freeze.

Xigger

Smash Lord
There are 2 oranges because I havn't done the last recolour yet. If the one costume I didn't make was left as ROB the game would freeze.
Actually, the ROBs work fine with Megaman's PSA. Almost all PSAs can work without the costumes.

Update: Both of the Double-jump fall animations are complete, and the first jump and fall animations are near done. But before I do the second jump animation, is there any preference? I'm not sure if Megaman does back or front flips.

Zesty Gordita

Smash Rookie
Ok, so I've been hacking my brawl for a few months now and i stumbled upon this. I have been so eager to see this get done. I got brawlbox a few weeks ago and toyed with it for a day. But sadly I have been gone for 3 weeks and i got back today. I finally decided to make an account and ask how I can contribute to this project. I can pick up on thing very quickly and i may need a little help at first but I can't sit back and wait for this to be finished. And personally I have been wanting to animate for a long time now and i think this could help. So I'd like to help you guys get this project done :bigthumbup:

Fen__

Smash Ace
Actually, the ROBs work fine with Megaman's PSA. Almost all PSAs can work without the costumes.

Update: Both of the Double-jump fall animations are complete, and the first jump and fall animations are near done. But before I do the second jump animation, is there any preference? I'm not sure if Megaman does back or front flips.
I'd imagine he would do a front flip if going forward and a back flip if going backward (if we're going with flips). Maybe I'm misunderstanding, though, since that hardly seems like something that would get varied opinions.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Mega Man doesn't seem like a flippy character to me, but if it looks cool, do it.

And Zesty Gordita, we're always looking for more animators, if you're interested.

Xigger

Smash Lord
I'd imagine he would do a front flip if going forward and a back flip if going backward (if we're going with flips). Maybe I'm misunderstanding, though, since that hardly seems like something that would get varied opinions.
Just thought I'd ask, since Snake came in and ruined all the fun...:ohwell: And that polygon problem is still in the air. Do we like Megaman's glowing effect?

ds22

Smash Lord
Just thought I'd ask, since Snake came in and ruined all the fun...:ohwell: And that polygon problem is still in the air. Do we like Megaman's glowing effect?
If you tell me which polygons (numbers) need to be deleted, I could do it for you without having glitches (I once deleted all his polygons except the glow layer polygons and it acted like normal).

Fakescaper

Smash Cadet
Up-B(Shield arm) - To be honest, I have no idea what I can do here.

How about he somehow thrusts upwards with his shield arm hand pointed directly upwards and while that happens a conical force field appears around him that pushes away foes and projectiles.

Top Bottom