• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

CosmoKunIsSoKawaii

Smash Cadet
you sound like a 3.0 tether main, both in content and how absolutely absurd your notion is. you're asking someone to "simply grab the ledge" against a character whose upb has huge multi-hit crouch-proof hitboxes, low landlag, long distance, and an atypically low fall speed with which to wait out ledge invincibility. that's even assuming that with correct DI, his very high aerial mobility and sideb that he doesn't just go over you to center stage and has any desire for the ledge itself. you are suggesting counterplay that works exclusively when the squirtle player sucks.
Regardless of how intelligent you try to provide your argument it still doesn't change the fact that grabbing ledge works if you're not dumb.

interpunct

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EliteInterpunct
3DS FC
3110-5751-3360
My selfish plan of pretending Snake is not OP until PM is in is final version has succeeded.
I knew he was OP all along and was trying to keep him that way for myself gain.
Get destroyed PM community.

:yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi:

Only Jolteon knew of my plan, but being UK blood brothers I guilted him into silence
What a degenerate. You GC controller should be taken away.

nah, man, pm's the illegal mod of a children's party game. totally different.
It's almost as if he hates fun.

eideeiit

Smash Ace
What's the best documentary on Netflix? I've already seen The Square, Murderball and Exit through the gift shop, of which the last one I enjoyed the most.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
good afternoon, thread

the sheer amount of amazement and comedy you can get out of a SM64 TAS is always a good way to start off a day

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
you sound like a 3.0 tether main, both in content and how absolutely absurd your notion is. you're asking someone to "simply grab the ledge" against a character whose upb has huge multi-hit crouch-proof hitboxes, low landlag, long distance, and an atypically low fall speed with which to wait out ledge invincibility. that's even assuming that with correct DI, his very high aerial mobility and sideb that he doesn't just go over you to center stage and has any desire for the ledge itself. you are suggesting counterplay that works exclusively when the squirtle player sucks.
Can't you do the Marth killer shield thing?
I think I saw someone do this once though I've never actually tried it.

Haven't played much squirtles either nor tested it out, but if it works, I think that would make it a lot more punishable since they would be forced to go on stage at all times.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Hylian Hylian idk mang.

Haven't played much squirtles either nor tested it out, but if it works, I think that would make it a lot more punishable since they would be forced to go on stage at all times.
Squirtle's Up B has multiple hits, I'm confused how this would work even if you could get enough shield DI to push you off ledge.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

It's a multi hit recovery so like vs. Roy, it doesn't work.

YonoSSB

Smash Cadet
Hi. My name is Yono. I'm an unranked player from MI. My credentials are taking a set off dirtboy at a 72 man local, something you will never do with your current attitude.

https://youtu.be/Vu0d-jofUHw?t=578

I lost this set unfortunately (Dirtboy is better than me) but here is a clip of me edgeguarding dirtboy by literally grabbing the ledge, getting up, then fsmashing. The first time I straight up roll from ledge and dont even do a fast option.

Hold that salt bruh.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
any and all future squirtle discussion should at least come with a requirement that you read this

the point here is specifically character v character, not as a general rule

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
It's a multi hit recovery so like vs. Roy, it doesn't work.
But the last hit isn't a multi, it's kinda like an explosion right?
And if they're hitting you with the multi-hit, that means that they're not sweetspotting the ledge which means they can be punished.

In theory anyway, haven't actually tested it, but that's just what my brain is telling me would happen, could be wrong.

Last edited:

CosmoKunIsSoKawaii

Smash Cadet
If spaced properly Wario's dair will beat low waterfall, ledge drop waft, ledge drop n-air.

Edit: Assuming you have the invincibility frames, of course.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
But the last hit isn't a multi, it's kinda like an explosion right?
And if they're hitting you with the multi-hit, that means that they're not sweetspotting the ledge which means they can be punished.

In theory anyway, haven't actually tested it, but that's just what my brain is telling me would happen, could be wrong.
If no one gets to it then I'll gyf it out tonight maybe

Bazkip

Smash Master
Uploading a video to Youtube and 20% in my internet just kinda stops.
Am I being throttled or is this just a coincidentally timed outage...?

Thank god for data plans.

Last edited:

eyeheartlovetap

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eyeheart
3DS FC
0774-4528-2318
Hello.
I'm Tap from MI, 9th in the state atm but win(s) over Tetra, Lain, Lordy, Ripple, Scythe, Sago, Kels, but most importantly Dirtboy, I believe a perfect record this season. Yoshi player.
I'm going to explain why Squirtle is very ****, and why WG camping might be his only good tool.
Neutral: People believe Squirtle moves fast, and you're right, he does, but it takes a long time for him to gain the momentum to move across the stage so quickly, his shell shift being his main option of moving around quickly. When he does his shell shift in neutral, you can expect 3 things, and really, only 3. 1: A RAR aerial. 2: Another shell shift turnaround, which puts us back into the beginning. He might do it again, he might RAR, or 3. Hydropivot. This is where Squirtle empty pivots out of his shell shift, and usually results in a grab or smash attack (mainly downsmash in my experience). All of these options are not great, hydropivot probably being the best because he can literally do anything out of it afaik. Option 1 is **** because, well, it takes forever for him to actually get there. In Yoshi's case, I can upsmash for free because it's frame 9 and covers a lot of area. I'm also free to dash dance around this aerial and either react to the aerial (because the Squirtle will usually put it out immediately) with shield if I can't get the grab into wavedash ftilt, up tilt, down tilt, or grab if I can get the DD grab. Option 2 is **** because he's not doing anything really. If I upsmash, it ends before he has the time to hit me, like how Wario can just DD or nair I assume. I don't want to speak TOO much about what other characters can do though because I don't play them, just trying to give some ideas. Option 3 is ok, but down smash has a lot of start up and grab is death if he misses because Squirtle is in a really really tough spot. In my opinion I think short hopping/DD covers all of these options. When Squirtle isn't doing that, he's probably WG camping. If he's WG camping, you most likely want to see how your hitboxes interact with it. Like Fox dair I assume goes throught most of WG? I don't quite know. I try to get behind Squirtle or punish his low land lag on it. Squirtle can have a good tool, and this is it. In terms of Squirtle's other moves when he eventually gets in, he's going to combo you up to rack up quick damage and maybe kill with the up b, or combo you out, off stage. Let's talk about up first. SDI the up airs away and fade to the ledge, or fall with an aerial if you have a good one. If you get hit with the up b, SDI the waterfall out as far as you can, you'll most likely fall out as it's very easy to SDI. If you get hit with only the last hit, you should've SDI'd the up air out, this is the punishment you take, sadly. If Squirtle pushes you off stage, really you just have to try and recover the same way you would against a Kirby. As a Yoshi player I don't have an issue getting back, what with DJ armor, so I don't have much advice to give there :(. If Squirtle needs to finish his kills, there are two things he's looking for. Crawl tilt, which has light armor, or dtilt, which is a nice multi hit. Crawl tilt is bad because crawling requires crouching, which takes a while, and crawling/ crouching is obvious. Just stay away if he's crawling. If Squirtle hits you with down tilt, try and SDI the 2nd hit or both hits as far out as you can, you'll avoid an aqua jet. If you're at high enough percent he might just go for the fair or up air, which both aren't very good at killing, since fair sends at Sakurai angle and up air is just weak. Then we have punish game on Squirtle. Squirtle is very light, so you wan't to try to always kill off the top. The best way to rack up damage is to abuse Squirtle's straight ass tech roll. It's the worst thing about the character. So let's say Squirtle is coming back from the edge or coming down or something, or you bait a side b. You can either spot dodge, and chase down his side b which has high end lag, or if you have a meteor or grab that leads to a meteor like Yoshi, use it. As Falcon, I would always dair his side b if I have the chance. If he techs it, easy tech chase. If he doesn't, that's another dair, or at high percent, knee. If you knock Squirtle off, I'm sorry, but that SHOULD be a kill. If Squirtle is high above the ledge than yes it's difficult, especially if he has a jump. Stay on stage until he dips low. But you should also be aware of his side b. If he uses it and doesn't try to sweet spot the ledge with it, you can punish it pretty easily unless he is very high up, considering his side b only has 2 angles and has very very little disjoint, if any. If he dips low, grab the ledge. If he uses his jump, drop ledge and jump on stage, then grab ledge again. Usually the result of all the timing will result in the 50 50 where he sweetspots or goes above the ledge. If he sweetspots and you're on the ledge, that's a stock. If he lands on stage, that's 30 frames of lag to punish. On stages with walls, don't be afraid of his wall cling. Just wait it out. His wall jump is very ****ty. This automatically puts you in the 50 50 situation. If he dips low WHILE using side b offstage, as Wario or Yoshi, I would nair it. Easy. Dead. Or as other characters you can bair him, like Wario or Rob or Snake or, yknow, anyone with a good bair.

I kinda lost myself so if I missed something let me know. I think I covered everything about him, maybe not in too much detail, but enough that every Squirtle shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Hello.
I'm Tap from MI, 9th in the state atm but win(s) over Tetra, Lain, Lordy, Ripple, Scythe, Sago, Kels, but most importantly Dirtboy, I believe a perfect record this season. Yoshi player.
I'm going to explain why Squirtle is very ****, and why WG camping might be his only good tool.
Neutral: People believe Squirtle moves fast, and you're right, he does, but it takes a long time for him to gain the momentum to move across the stage so quickly, his shell shift being his main option of moving around quickly. When he does his shell shift in neutral, you can expect 3 things, and really, only 3. 1: A RAR aerial. 2: Another shell shift turnaround, which puts us back into the beginning. He might do it again, he might RAR, or 3. Hydropivot. This is where Squirtle empty pivots out of his shell shift, and usually results in a grab or smash attack (mainly downsmash in my experience). All of these options are not great, hydropivot probably being the best because he can literally do anything out of it afaik. Option 1 is **** because, well, it takes forever for him to actually get there. In Yoshi's case, I can upsmash for free because it's frame 9 and covers a lot of area. I'm also free to dash dance around this aerial and either react to the aerial (because the Squirtle will usually put it out immediately) with shield if I can't get the grab into wavedash ftilt, up tilt, down tilt, or grab if I can get the DD grab. Option 2 is **** because he's not doing anything really. If I upsmash, it ends before he has the time to hit me, like how Wario can just DD or nair I assume. I don't want to speak TOO much about what other characters can do though because I don't play them, just trying to give some ideas. Option 3 is ok, but down smash has a lot of start up and grab is death if he misses because Squirtle is in a really really tough spot. In my opinion I think short hopping/DD covers all of these options. When Squirtle isn't doing that, he's probably WG camping. If he's WG camping, you most likely want to see how your hitboxes interact with it. Like Fox dair I assume goes throught most of WG? I don't quite know. I try to get behind Squirtle or punish his low land lag on it. Squirtle can have a good tool, and this is it. In terms of Squirtle's other moves when he eventually gets in, he's going to combo you up to rack up quick damage and maybe kill with the up b, or combo you out, off stage. Let's talk about up first. SDI the up airs away and fade to the ledge, or fall with an aerial if you have a good one. If you get hit with the up b, SDI the waterfall out as far as you can, you'll most likely fall out as it's very easy to SDI. If you get hit with only the last hit, you should've SDI'd the up air out, this is the punishment you take, sadly. If Squirtle pushes you off stage, really you just have to try and recover the same way you would against a Kirby. As a Yoshi player I don't have an issue getting back, what with DJ armor, so I don't have much advice to give there :(. If Squirtle needs to finish his kills, there are two things he's looking for. Crawl tilt, which has light armor, or dtilt, which is a nice multi hit. Crawl tilt is bad because crawling requires crouching, which takes a while, and crawling/ crouching is obvious. Just stay away if he's crawling. If Squirtle hits you with down tilt, try and SDI the 2nd hit or both hits as far out as you can, you'll avoid an aqua jet. If you're at high enough percent he might just go for the fair or up air, which both aren't very good at killing, since fair sends at Sakurai angle and up air is just weak. Then we have punish game on Squirtle. Squirtle is very light, so you wan't to try to always kill off the top. The best way to rack up damage is to abuse Squirtle's straight *** tech roll. It's the worst thing about the character. So let's say Squirtle is coming back from the edge or coming down or something, or you bait a side b. You can either spot dodge, and chase down his side b which has high end lag, or if you have a meteor or grab that leads to a meteor like Yoshi, use it. As Falcon, I would always dair his side b if I have the chance. If he techs it, easy tech chase. If he doesn't, that's another dair, or at high percent, knee. If you knock Squirtle off, I'm sorry, but that SHOULD be a kill. If Squirtle is high above the ledge than yes it's difficult, especially if he has a jump. Stay on stage until he dips low. But you should also be aware of his side b. If he uses it and doesn't try to sweet spot the ledge with it, you can punish it pretty easily unless he is very high up, considering his side b only has 2 angles and has very very little disjoint, if any. If he dips low, grab the ledge. If he uses his jump, drop ledge and jump on stage, then grab ledge again. Usually the result of all the timing will result in the 50 50 where he sweetspots or goes above the ledge. If he sweetspots and you're on the ledge, that's a stock. If he lands on stage, that's 30 frames of lag to punish. On stages with walls, don't be afraid of his wall cling. Just wait it out. His wall jump is very ****ty. This automatically puts you in the 50 50 situation. If he dips low WHILE using side b offstage, as Wario or Yoshi, I would nair it. Easy. Dead. Or as other characters you can bair him, like Wario or Rob or Snake or, yknow, anyone with a good bair.

I kinda lost myself so if I missed something let me know. I think I covered everything about him, maybe not in too much detail, but enough that every Squirtle shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Bazkip

Smash Master
Uploading a video to Youtube and 20% in my internet just kinda stops.
Am I being throttled or is this just a coincidentally timed outage...?

Thank god for data plans.
Switched back to my home internet after it was done uploading and within a couple minutes it's back to normal.
I'm pretty sure that means they were throttling me.

****ing Videotron, this is what happens when you get internet from separatists.

Last edited:

The_NZA

Smash Lord
the problem is when X person comes in with zero background and credentials and starts talking down to you and giving you **** for it, having zero accomplishments and no way to relate to the situations themselves.
Back in my day, we used to call people like that "Umbreons".

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Switched back to my home internet after it was done uploading and within a couple minutes it's back to normal.
I'm pretty sure that means they were throttling me.

****ing Videotron, this is what happens when you get internet from separatists.
Happens with Bell too. It's just ****ty internet company problems.

Life

Smash Hero
"WG camping might be Squirtle's only good tool" is the reason I've largely stopped playing the character. When I picked him at the CSS I signed up for using superior mobility to run circles around everybody. If I wanted to sit around and throw moves out until my opponent runs into them, I'd have picked a Zelda character.

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
Clearly the thing we should be worried about is whether or not to ban Meta Knight in Brawl.

Top Bottom