• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
good afternoon, thread

(I just made this image out of bitterness after having to relocate my emulation storage, and thus having to reset every path for every emulator) (**** windows. also I have to get emergency dental stuff done today, so that's fun)

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
My friend just texted me about his and my first day of college and how we happened to run into each other while going to our first few classes. It's crazy to think about that moment happening 4 years ago when we both had absolutely no idea what we were getting ourselves into. I'm halfway through my last semester and it feels so surreal; I can't help but feel clueless about the future, like I was 4 years ago. Things ended up being good for the most part, I sure hope that's still going to be the case for these next few years of my life. Can anyone relate?

Helsong

Smash Ace
My friend just texted me about his and my first day of college and how we happened to run into each other while going to our first few classes. It's crazy to think about that moment happening 4 years ago when we both had absolutely no idea what we were getting ourselves into. I'm halfway through my last semester and it feels so surreal; I can't help but feel clueless about the future, like I was 4 years ago. Things ended up being good for the most part, I sure hope that's still going to be the case for these next few years of my life. Can anyone relate?
I went through this, but I pussied out of life and decided more schooling was where it was at.

But in all seriousness, it's really hard to judge what the future holds because it's the future and life really loves throwing curveballs at you. Just make sure you have savings and try not to panic or feel like you're alone. You've got friends, and pretty much everyone sorta panics a bit if they think too hard about what's next in life. We're all winging it, to an extent.

I mean, I'm in grad school which would imply some sort of structure for my life moving forward but I'm still not super sure if things are going to turn out for the best. I'm just going to keep doing what I can and if life decides to completely **** me over then...uh, I guess I just have to deal with it?

Last edited:

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I have a feeling when the Jojo anime gets to Part 5 and beyond it's going to falter a bit. That's when the stands start to have long-winded explanations and make no sense.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
KayB KayB It's funny you say that since JJBA hasn't ever made complete sense, and yet here we are almost 30 years, well over 100 volumes, and 3 overwhelmingly-successful anime adaptations later. We are talking about Araki's work, here; that it's utterly absurd at times is just another reason why people love it. I mean, the fact that IT JUST WORKS is, as seen here, a plot point.

Literally.

Last edited:

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
it's One thing to logically not make sense, and then it's another to just be hopelessly confusing. Its why I like parts 3 and 4 the most. They're absurd as ****ing hell, but it's not hard to understand. I don't think it's a coincidence that most people consider them their favorite parts.

Helsong

Smash Ace
Studying for midterms and grading and then this song pops up on my youtube suggestions:

It's a 1-minute loop, but I'm seriously digging this. Please tell me there's a bomb-ass fighting game to go along with this song? I never played the Capcom vs. SNK series.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Studying for midterms and grading and then this song pops up on my youtube suggestions:

It's a 1-minute loop, but I'm seriously digging this. Please tell me there's a bomb-*** fighting game to go along with this song? I never played the Capcom vs. SNK series.
Cvs2 is really dope. Can't say much about balance but it has amazing hitssparks

eideeiit

Smash Ace
Local monthly done. This was the first Pm tournament I've attended.

Pm had 11 players but just one set-up so it took a while. Luckily we got started on it early so no real problems were had. I had the honor if making the ruleset, since the TO (the ex-brawlist with a melee Puff) didn't really a thing about Pm. I went with altered Nebraska 9. 9 stages chars first with the starters of GHZ, SV, BF, YIB (would've been BC alt but the setup didn't have it. The setup also was a netplay iso ran on a modded wii, so after every match we had to play falcon/snake/lucario lol. ) and PS2. Counterpicks were WW, FoD, FD and DL (because according to a quick ask-around I did people would rather have it than DS).

My Pm games started with me facing a fledgling Snake-main that I've played a few times before in Melee. He didn't have a Pm set-up at home yet, so he lacked a lot. The TO-puff had actually given his spot for this guy cause he'd forgotten to register him and the bracket was already underway. Since I was 3rd seed, he'd already won a set. My Roy, which is pretty new and bad and has been my Pm go to for the last week, 2-stocked him both games iirc, but it was pretty terrible. I got shieldgrabbed like 15 times, ugh. Had he known how to sweetspot up-b, c4 reset up-b consistently, move OoS, punish etc. he would've won. But he didn't so yay.

Game 2 is WS and I'm up against a guy I've netplayed with numerous times, going pretty even. This was his first offline tournament afaik. He was the 2nd seed and played Diddy. Game 1 on GHZ my Roy almost makes the sickest 3-stock comeback, but I can't clutch it out. Game 2 I CP Samus and FoD. My play is terrible and he takes the lead on every stock but the last one, where he freezes and I take it. I stay Samus and he CPs PS2. Again he has the lead the whole game, but when the last stock comes around I get some pretty sick tech chases stuff going on. Were both >140% and I land a dtilt and jump to chase him with uair, but I'm met with a combobreaker nair that kills me off the top. Off to the losers bracket with me.

LQFs I play the young S4 player that streamed that side of the tournament. Just before facing me he had discovered Sheik and was really feeling himself. My Roy loses game 1 and I'm salty af. I CP random and it gives me Pit. I guess the chances of me getting one of my ex-"mains" (more like flavor of the week) is pretty high. I shake off the salt and 3-stock him. All I can think after the game is how he loved to run into F-smashes. Lol. Game 3 he CPs DL and bit by bit I get pretty hefty lead with him on last stock and me on a fresh second one. I kinda freeze though, but still end it, with me on 3rd stock high %.

LSF I play a melee player I played a ton of friendlies with. He'd just had a hella close set with a Ganon/Dk player that supposedly plays Pm the most. Game 1 is my Charizard vs his Fox, a melee tertiary after Marth and falcon. I roflstomp him with a 3-stock. I don't even know how. I guess the nair guided me. I think the accuracy of my random F-smashes was like 90% in that one. Game 2 he goes Falcon on DL. First 2 stocks it's even but then I gimp him twice and it's ggs. When we played friendlies later he traded games with me in Zard vs Fox. Lucky me I guess.

LFs I'm up against the netplay Diddy again. He lost 2-0 in WFs, to a Melee Luigi and S4/Brawl Ness player that was the 1st seed. This guy hadn't touched Pm in a few years, but was pretty confident as long as he didn't have to go against "ROB or some other weirdo".

Game 1 I go Zard, once more. I'd played this same MU on netplay with this same guy, mostly losing, but I wanted to give it a shot. I get jv 2-stocked. My get-up attacks were shieldgrabbed a lot. I lose my confidence and will to fight and CP random once more. However, I get Shiek on GHZ. I hadn't touched her in Pm for ages, but had warmed her up in Melee a few hours earlier, so I think this could work. We go even for the first few stocks, but when I'm on my 3rd one I take him to his last stock and land some tech chases on that to get him to high %. He gets me to last stock though, and though I get him offstage a few times I can't finish him. He combos me a bit and gets me offstage, but misses a WD and airdodges to his death. He was getting my D-smashes with Full Jump dairs all the time. Game 3 he CPs DL and I stay Sheik. I lose the first stock but keep it even. Eventually were both on last stock high %, and I get an edgeguard going on. I can't keep him offstage, but manage to keep him from resetting to neutral, and so I finally land a lucky D-smash to finish it. I stomp the ground and feel really good. My hand was shaking less than I thought it would.

I take a bathroom brake to rehydrate, focus and let my body stabilize or something, before facing the Luigi. I wash my face and know I can win.

Game 1 is Zard vs Luigi on SV. I play actually pretty great and finish it with a 2-stock. U-smash is greeeeaaat vs Luigi. Game 2 we go GHZ. He takes the stocks first, but since my u-throw kills him at about 85% I stay in the game. I get one really sweet offstage bair edgeguard. Once I enter last stock I don't really know what goes on. I think I get tossed around for a bit and it ends with a fair and a 2-stock for him. Game 3 I CP YIB. We go mostly even, but when I get him to last stock I have only ~60% on me. All the match I'd noticed how he'd adapted to my falling nairs by doing very early Full Jump fairs, but I don't adapt. One hits me after a glide and I die at ~80%, when my avg. death% was way past 120%. I freeze a bit and get hit by that same thing like 5 times in a row. I get hit far aftera glide and am basically dead, but the Randad pops at probably the very last frame. But he's a Brawl player and knows those peaky things and has a fair with my name on it up there. He takes it home from the winners side. I don't know if I could've shielded that fair, actually. By that point the panic was deep in my bonea. At least I made it so he did drop a game.

So my first Pm tournament ended with a second place finish and 1,7€ of profit after paying out the entries for all the tournaments. In melee I landed 4th (just out of the money), playing incredibly bad, but also achieving something: I only went Marth, despite knowing it would get destroyed. I accepted an outcome. I think this is a pretty good test of patience.

Tho I gotta say it doesn't feel good ending a tournament by getting jv4'd
X_X

Had hella fun tho. I kinda helped TO Melee and Pm and I'll probably do it again.

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Local monthly done. This was the first Pm tournament I've attended.

Pm had 11 players but just one set-up so it took a while. Luckily we got started on it early so no real problems were had. I had the honor if making the ruleset, since the TO (the ex-brawlist with a melee Puff) didn't really a thing about Pm. I went with altered Nebraska 9. 9 stages chars first with the starters of GHZ, SV, BF, YIB (would've been BC alt but the setup didn't have it. The setup also was a netplay iso ran on a modded wii, so after every match we had to play falcon/snake/lucario lol. ) and PS2. Counterpicks were WW, FoD, FD and DL (because according to a quick ask-around I did people would rather have it than DS).

My Pm games started with me facing a fledgling Snake-main that I've played a few times before in Melee. He didn't have a Pm set-up at home yet, so he lacked a lot. The TO-puff had actually given his spot for this guy cause he'd forgotten to register him and the bracket was already underway. Since I was 3rd seed, he'd already won a set. My Roy, which is pretty new and bad and has been my Pm go to for the last week, 2-stocked him both games iirc, but it was pretty terrible. I got shieldgrabbed like 15 times, ugh. Had he known how to sweetspot up-b, c4 reset up-b consistently, move OoS, punish etc. he would've won. But he didn't so yay.

Game 2 is WS and I'm up against a guy I've netplayed with numerous times, going pretty even. This was his first offline tournament afaik. He was the 2nd seed and played Diddy. Game 1 on GHZ my Roy almost makes the sickest 3-stock comeback, but I can't clutch it out. Game 2 I CP Samus and FoD. My play is terrible and he takes the lead on every stock but the last one, where he freezes and I take it. I stay Samus and he CPs PS2. Again he has the lead the whole game, but when the last stock comes around I get some pretty sick tech chases stuff going on. Were both >140% and I land a dtilt and jump to chase him with uair, but I'm met with a combobreaker nair that kills me off the top. Off to the losers bracket with me.

LQFs I play the young S4 player that streamed that side of the tournament. Just before facing me he had discovered Sheik and was really feeling himself. My Roy loses game 1 and I'm salty af. I CP random and it gives me Pit. I guess the chances of me getting one of my ex-"mains" (more like flavor of the week) is pretty high. I shake off the salt and 3-stock him. All I can think after the game is how he loved to run into F-smashes. Lol. Game 3 he CPs DL and bit by bit I get pretty hefty lead with him on last stock and me on a fresh second one. I kinda freeze though, but still end it, with me on 3rd stock high %.

LSF I play a melee player I played a ton of friendlies with. He'd just had a hella close set with a Ganon/Dk player that supposedly plays Pm the most. Game 1 is my Charizard vs his Fox, a melee tertiary after Marth and falcon. I roflstomp him with a 3-stock. I don't even know how. I guess the nair guided me. I think the accuracy of my random F-smashes was like 90% in that one. Game 2 he goes Falcon on DL. First 2 stocks it's even but then I gimp him twice and it's ggs. When we played friendlies later he traded games with me in Zard vs Fox. Lucky me I guess.

LFs I'm up against the netplay Diddy again. He lost 2-0 in WFs, to a Melee Luigi and S4/Brawl Ness player that was the 1st seed. This guy hadn't touched Pm in a few years, but was pretty confident as long as he didn't have to go against "ROB or some other weirdo".

Game 1 I go Zard, once more. I'd played this same MU on netplay with this same guy, mostly losing, but I wanted to give it a shot. I get jv 2-stocked. My get-up attacks were shieldgrabbed a lot. I lose my confidence and will to fight and CP random once more. However, I get Shiek on GHZ. I hadn't touched her in Pm for ages, but had warmed her up in Melee a few hours earlier, so I think this could work. We go even for the first few stocks, but when I'm on my 3rd one I take him to his last stock and land some tech chases on that to get him to high %. He gets me to last stock though, and though I get him offstage a few times I can't finish him. He combos me a bit and gets me offstage, but misses a WD and airdodges to his death. He was getting my D-smashes with Full Jump dairs all the time. Game 3 he CPs DL and I stay Sheik. I lose the first stock but keep it even. Eventually were both on last stock high %, and I get an edgeguard going on. I can't keep him offstage, but manage to keep him from resetting to neutral, and so I finally land a lucky D-smash to finish it. I stomp the ground and feel really good. My hand was shaking less than I thought it would.

I take a bathroom brake to rehydrate, focus and let my body stabilize or something, before facing the Luigi. I wash my face and know I can win.

Game 1 is Zard vs Luigi on SV. I play actually pretty great and finish it with a 2-stock. U-smash is greeeeaaat vs Luigi. Game 2 we go GHZ. He takes the stocks first, but since my u-throw kills him at about 85% I stay in the game. I get one really sweet offstage bair edgeguard. Once I enter last stock I don't really know what goes on. I think I get tossed around for a bit and it ends with a fair and a 2-stock for him. Game 3 I CP YIB. We go mostly even, but when I get him to last stock I have only ~60% on me. All the match I'd noticed how he'd adapted to my falling nairs by doing very early Full Jump fairs, but I don't adapt. One hits me after a glide and I die at ~80%, when my avg. death% was way past 120%. I freeze a bit and get hit by that same thing like 5 times in a row. I get hit far aftera glide and am basically dead, but the Randad pops at probably the very last frame. But he's a Brawl player and knows those peaky things and has a fair with my name on it up there. He takes it home from the winners side. I don't know if I could've shielded that fair, actually. By that point the panic was deep in my bonea. At least I made it so he did drop a game.

So my first Pm tournament ended with a second place finish and 1,7€ of profit after paying out the entries for all the tournaments. In melee I landed 4th (just out of the money), playing incredibly bad, but also achieving something: I only went Marth, despite knowing it would get destroyed. I accepted an outcome. I think this is a pretty good test of patience.

Tho I gotta say it doesn't feel good ending a tournament by getting jv4'd
X_X

Had hella fun tho. I kinda TO'd Melee and Pm and I'll probably do it again.
nerd.

really, tho, good run. at least you're able to identify what's causing you issues during the match. just keep at it and you'll work past tourney nerves eventually.

D

Deleted member

dem punches 2gud

but those tech rolls in :c (also CC and stuff but you already knew all this)
it was my first time being an a tournament environment since august, everything kinda slipped from my head, and my music didn't play in my headphones game 1

Player -0

Smash Hero
it was my first time being an a tournament environment since august, everything kinda slipped from my head, and my music didn't play in my headphones game 1
Should've given him that look like, "bruh. You just got bodied by my punch. Hold up and sit on that platform and take a minute while I fix my music."

idk gameplay looked pretty good for not playing for a while. Dash dance was pretty good but didn't really convert or put yourself into good setups.

then I realized I don't go to tournaments except for every 10 years. I just need to like get an okay bracket and play okay. Then bad things will happen.

This response somehow devolved into me talking about myself. I'm not narcissistic *flips hair*

also:
I wash my face and know I can win.
Your post was super long so I tl;dr'ed super hard but I did get this out of it.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Registered for Soiree Du Smash, going to socal next weekend to see homies.

anyone going to black tie smash event or the legacy on the 20th should come hangggg

Helsong Helsong I'd think you'd enjoy Soiree Du Smash, a bunch of nerds wearing tux's, suits, and dresses meeting up to play smash

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Registered for Soiree Du Smash, going to socal next weekend to see homies.

anyone going to black tie smash event or the legacy on the 20th should come hangggg

Helsong Helsong I'd think you'd enjoy Soiree Du Smash, a bunch of nerds wearing tux's, suits, and dresses meeting up to play smash
Sounds like a normal day for me : p

Bleck

Smash Master
10 Cloverfield Lane was basically Half-Life: The Movie, and probably not coincidentally

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Sometimes I wish Associated Student elections were settled via a good old ladder match instead of via voting/ballot. If I'm the best candidate for Treasurer, let me show it by grabbing the gold.

10 Cloverfield Lane was basically Half-Life: The Movie, and probably not coincidentally
Any relation to Cloverfield? Still waiting on my Cloverfield v. Godzilla movie.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
good morning, thread

that dog is an advertisement for a thing I wrote out of anger while looking at tech sites getting painfully angry at ad blocking. click on the thing. if you don't click on the thing, according to tech bloggers, I am now allowed to call you an absolute monster. I will get the tomatoes shortly so I can throw them at you in anger

Top Bottom