• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
one button specials are a bit of a dangerous game if you don't up the ante on something else; smash gets away w/ it by focusing so hard on mobility and movement, but RT just ended up being a bit of a simple-minded street fighter

execution up until a point where either the human mind or your controller bottlenecks is honestly meaningless--you can see this in marvel, doom TAC combos might have been pretty and chant-worthy in 2011 but nowadays it's just a thing you wait through so you can see actual skillful things being done--but the actual concept of buffering a command in a fighting game is, in itself, a mindgame. hit foward, down, and downforward repeatedly, and your opponent could notice how often you move about like that, but they still have to deal with it, because those three directions can either go into an anti-air DP or a fireball with just one extra direction. it's like "okay, I know they want one of these two things, but I still don't know which of the two"

RT took that away, and replaced it with... counterpicking with different move loadouts that you should already be having full access to throughout the entire game. not too good

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
in the context of traditional fighters one button specials are... questionable but also just totally a foreign concept

in smash it's like the only way to do things (also smash's specials do all involve the joystick aside from neutral b's but ehh semantics)

and decreasing attack input complexity in a game about buttons and button-based footsies (tfgs) vs decreasing attack input complexity in a game about constantly using exploits for movement are going to come by different results. the reason why stick movement inputs in tfgs work is because of the simplified movement system and the ability of a stick and six buttons to correspond to an incredible number of attacks
smash has far fewer attacks and stick-based buttons because the stick isn't used for attack inputs, due to all the complexity and difficulty being within the movement

like sure you could play with a keyboard and map every button to a macro to get all the special moves you want and play with a stick in your left hand an a keyboard in your right but that'd have quickly decreasing returns and be incredibly hard to learn to use

fightsticks work great for traditional fighting games

two-stick handheld pads work fine for smash but generally run into a slew of ergonomic issues such as tension due to clutching and overreliance on thumbs but are kind of necessary due to the ergonomic inability to control two sticks (in order to do retreating moves intuitively and efficiently, a necessary thing for movement-based platform fighting games) without any other type of controllerout

whenever I try to theorycraft an ideal controller for smash (keeping in mind things like efficiency in button layout (minimizing the number of buttons while also minimizing then number of buttons that have to be pressed together), decreasing hard gripping action, and allowing each hand to specialize on different things (which is why fightsticks are a thing, the left hand doesn't have to worry about buttons and the right hand doesn't have to worry about a stick)) I just kind of run into the conclusion that smash is a game that was not designed with ergonomics involved in any way shape or form and is kind of impossible to design an ideal controller for

but the gamecube controller is still trash lmao also why isn't lightpress airdodge a thing yet

edit: jesus christ this is rambly lmao

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Don't worry it it's rambly lol . Only time will tell on the rising thunder stuff but hopefully it goes well for the cannons and Seth.

Also pms haven't been here in a hot minute cause of fe fates vortex I'll leave some poverty fg here for y'all.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
whenever I try to theorycraft an ideal controller for smash (keeping in mind things like efficiency in button layout (minimizing the number of buttons while also minimizing then number of buttons that have to be pressed together), decreasing hard gripping action, and allowing each hand to specialize on different things (which is why fightsticks are a thing, the left hand doesn't have to worry about buttons and the right hand doesn't have to worry about a stick)) I just kind of run into the conclusion that smash is a game that was not designed with ergonomics involved in any way shape or form and is kind
That one dude's hybrid stick buttons-gc left half controller was pretty good, I thought. Just be getting it produced and the design smoothed out, then getting past the logistical hurdle of people hating on it because it's different

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Another weekly another falcon

Maybe I should play a good character
Maybe I should take a break

Player -0

Smash Hero
Another weekly another falcon

Maybe I should play a good character
Maybe I should take a break
*ahem*

I believe you mean...

MAYBE I SHOULD CRY FOR HELP

MAYBE I SHOULD KILL MYSELF

BLAME IT ON MY A.D.D. BABY

MAYBE I'M A DIFFERENT BREED

MAYBE I'M NOT LISTENING

SO BLAME IT ON MY A.D.D. BABY

SAIL!

D

Deleted member

maybe you should contemplate your life and quit smash because the game is ****ing ********

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
maybe you should contemplate your life and quit smash because the game is ****ing ********
I kind of want to be like ok I'll focus on school and after that smash but like I'm still in school for like 4-5 years, and I'll have to get a job too during this summer so I feel like I can't really concentrate on smash at all anymore
So it might be more worth it to just drop it idk

Lizalfos

Smash Master
I mean my major affiliation with smash is ****posting and being angsty now. The only real time I put into it is sometimes I play with the tryhards on 3rd floor.

Videogames are time consuming and there are just more interesting/important things.
Don't mind that I played sfv 8 consecutive hrs last saturday.

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
I usually refrain from acting like that because one lapse in self-control is all that's necessary for one to be malicious instead of only teasing, and I don't have what it takes to keep from crossing that line. Also...
, and as much as I love being nasty, I believe it's more important to be nice.

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
If you want to beat Falcon, your best shot is to pick up MK and use like 5 moves. Nair around, Dsmash/Down B tech roll punishes, Uair occasionally, and meaty Bair edgeguard. Grab also isn't a move, it's a cheater button

I'd probably beat other Falcon's with MK if I tried to do 80% of what Lunchables does. He plays it clean and not very complicated (outside DD scenarios, cause his DD gameplay is better than 95% of people no contest, maybe 99%). I think plenty of people could copy that and find decent success shairn shairn

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Did u get your things back Adam? DF come through with help?

Edit: Don't pick Fox unless you want to lose, or unless you're god.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
df didnt do anything but i got like 35m in unsolicited donations after people heard about my acc getting hacked.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Nice, I don't play Runescape but I'd slay a billion rats for you

D

Deleted member

yeah

how ****ty my life is atm and a bunch of other factors is pretty much the reason why i haven't gotten able to go tournaments at all

all i really wanted out of smash was to be relevant, have friends, and have fun, didn't really get any of those things lmao

i'm ready to say doneskis to everything really

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
good morning, thread, here is a note to stop using fingerprints for security:
Fingerprint-copying enthusiasts following along at home can get started for cheap. Everything you need to create a paper version of your (or someone else’s) fingerprint can be shipped to your door for less than $450 dollars.
something is only secure if it's unique as well as changeable, because if someone else can copy that form of security, you want to make sure you can easily re-create a new form of it. you cannot ever change your fingerprint, that's why law enforcement uses it as a form of identification. if you use fingerprint scanning as security, you are the biggest of all the doofuses in the land

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
I mean my major affiliation with smash is ****posting and being angsty now. The only real time I put into it is sometimes I play with the tryhards on 3rd floor.

Videogames are time consuming and there are just more interesting/important things.
Don't mind that I played sfv 8 consecutive hrs last saturday.
Which Saturday was this •-•?

Also beating Brock with Charmander is a bish.

Charmander is named PlateProp lel

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
yeah

how ****ty my life is atm and a bunch of other factors is pretty much the reason why i haven't gotten able to go tournaments at all

all i really wanted out of smash was to be relevant, have friends, and have fun, didn't really get any of those things lmao

i'm ready to say doneskis to everything really
Please don't. There's more to life than just smash and tournaments

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
I finished programming a miniscule game in IA32 assembly last night at 5 AM after working for about 14 hours straight. I could add more enemy types and behaviors. I could structure the data in a way that is more sensible and streamlines the rest of the code a bit. I could spend more time working on sprites for the potential extra credit it could bring.

But it's also due at midnight today, and I really don't want to do much of anything at this point. It's about 1,200 lines in the main file and that is a lot of assembly.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
I finished programming a miniscule game in IA32 assembly last night at 5 AM after working for about 14 hours straight. I could add more enemy types and behaviors. I could structure the data in a way that is more sensible and streamlines the rest of the code a bit. I could spend more time working on sprites for the potential extra credit it could bring.

But it's also due at midnight today, and I really don't want to do much of anything at this point. It's about 1,200 lines in the main file and that is a lot of assembly.
That sounds like a pain in the butt. This sounds infinitely easier to do in any OOP language. But I suppose that's the point of the project?
I hate it when they make you do things that there is no reason to do. It is like memorizing trivia.
I ALWAYS DO THIS GOD
Bowie's Berlin albums are so good. Like I enjoy this much more than his other, more popular stuff, and that is already pretty good. It is amazing the variety of music he made. So many other artists and bands always have the same sound and never branch out at all, and it gets very stale fast.

Last edited:

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
That sounds like a pain in the butt. This sounds infinitely easier to do in any OOP language. But I suppose that's the point of the project?
I hate it when they make you do things that there is no reason to do. It is like memorizing trivia.
Yeah. You need to hardcode everything into the memory since you can't just make objects, which sucks a lot. Also debugging is an incredible pain because the debugging tools are so awful/nonexistent in comparison. So 70% of the time you have no idea what went wrong and just have to trawl slowly through the code to figure out what broke and why.

My main problem with my code right now is I didn't make a superstructure for my pseudo-objects, so I can't simply iterate through them, which is bad. I solve that by just having helper functions and only having like 6 of each type of object at a time, which isn't so bad. Technically it doesn't take any longer, just takes up more program space, which is pretty insignificant at this point, so I definitely can't be bothered to rework all of that. It'd be a lot of work for no practical difference, just making it easier to expand on the code - which nobody will ever do.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Still like Top 5 in the world while simultaneously never practicing it for the last 2 years and pretty much exclusively playing at events. Kreygasm

C'mon PM community, step it up.

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Still like Top 5 in the world while simultaneously never practicing it for the last 2 years and pretty much exclusively playing at events. Kreygasm

This just in: game not just mindless drilling of technical skills

Soft Serve

softie
Premium

snake must just be broken, ez mode takes no skill or practice to win with
:yeahboi:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
>Top 5 at a dead, illegal mod of a casual, children's party fighting game

>Getting Online to post about it

Professor Pro driving a Ferrari in the Top Kek lane

If I watch enough of your vids, can I steal your Snake powers and win gucci dollars? I have an underaged minor I'm trying to beat up, but he's just too good. Plz send reinforcements

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
>Top 5 at a dead, illegal mod of a casual, children's party fighting game

>Getting Online to post about it

Professor Pro driving a Ferrari in the Top Kek lane

If I watch enough of your vids, can I steal your Snake powers and win gucci dollars? I have an underaged minor I'm trying to beat up, but he's just too good. Plz send reinforcements
duelist skills transfer to pm tho Keepo

That one dude's hybrid stick buttons-gc left half controller was pretty good, I thought. Just be getting it produced and the design smoothed out, then getting past the logistical hurdle of people hating on it because it's different
yeah I've definitely thought about that and think that if anything is a step in the right direction, that's it.
there's a few problems with it though. 1. the hands are not entirely specialized as the left hand still presses the shoulder button. 2. the left hand's movement is still dominated by the thumb rather than the entire hand and also still contains a poor ergonomic gripping manner of holding the controller. however, both 1 and 2 may be unavoidable simply due to the inane way that smash/melee is designed around certain shoulder button presses. 3. the 90 degree rotation of the cstick on the y-axis isn't the most intuitive way to do things at all and relies on past muscle memory of which direction on the cstick corresponds to a right or left input.

like honestly as ugly as it may sound I kind of want a design that's similar to a fightstick, with a bunch of pushbuttons on the right side but have something similar to a flight joystick (like the kind that you see people playing helicopter sims with) on the other side with another little c-stick on top of the joystick

although that would look ugly as hell and take a whole lot of getting used to

in the words of slavoj zizek, the [gamecube controller] ideology has so permeated our culture that we cannot even imagine a world without it

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
I like playing with the gamecube controller because it's a comfortable controller

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
GC controller just feels right for Nintendo games.

D

Deleted member

with a bottom 10 character too

snake is really ****ing gay

Top Bottom