• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
i've seen that milo guy before

i don't like him. he said that gays are genetically superior in a video.

like wtf dude

he's ****ing nuts

interpunct

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EliteInterpunct
3DS FC
3110-5751-3360
i've seen that milo guy before

i don't like him. he said that gays are genetically superior in a video.

like wtf dude

he's ****ing nuts
I know, to me it's just funny. I don't agree with him for the most part but **** it's amazing the reactions he gets from people.

They're not?
Aren't we all equal?

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
nah dude series and expansions are so fun and come in very much so in handy later in physics
Yeah
Wait til you find out how many second order approximations you're going to make
Waves and oscillations course is just drop every sine and cosine
Square root of one minus x squared? Eh, that's about one minus X squared if X is small enough so let's remove that

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Yeah
Wait til you find out how many second order approximations you're going to make
Waves and oscillations course is just drop every sine and cosine
Square root of one minus x squared? Eh, that's about one minus X squared if X is small enough so let's remove that
Is this relevant to equilibrium and rate of reaction in chemistry?

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Although I suppose an equilibrium reaction is some sort of an oscillation, not quite.
Rate of reaction is a pretty big approximation in and of itself though.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
I just heard orders and I thought of reactions in chemistry.

Jesus I have 200 videos on this music playlist but I swear when I shuffle I still get the same 7 songs.

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
I just heard orders and I thought of reactions in chemistry.

Jesus I have 200 videos on this music playlist but I swear when I shuffle I still get the same 7 songs.
I was referring to the "order" of a term in a polynomial. Taylor/MacLaurin expansions of functions work as approximations of these functions using polynomials and derivatives with weighted relevance. The nth order term refers to the nth order derivative and the nth power term. So a quadratic equation is a second order polynomial, because the highest power term is to the 2nd power. Usually, the second term of a Taylor/MacLaurin expansion is a good enough approximation to the function for deviations close to the starting value.

For sine and cosine, their Taylor expansions are 0 + x + (x^3)/6 + (x^5)/120 +... and 1 + (x^2)/2 + (x^4)/24+.... so taking only the first two terms (IE stopping at the second order term) means sin(x) ~ x and cos(x) ~ 1 + (x^2)/2, for small values centered at 0. It can be adapted to work for any value, but tbh it's easier to rearrange your coordinate system to make it work as a MacLaurin expansion(which means centered at 0).

Player -0

Smash Hero
It makes me mad how school "explains" stuff but actually explains nothing.

Now I'm going to go write a speech about how to swing a golf club because I'm in bad classes because bad life decisions now.

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
You can't expect anyone to teach you something. They can offer insight, but in the end understanding can only come from yourself.
[/mech]

Player -0

Smash Hero
So finish writing terrible speech and using research page (I used a couple others too) and hit surprise me button at the bottom because why not.

mfw this

wtf rng. I'm 8 years old, I don't need to see this weirdness.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
It makes me mad how school "explains" stuff but actually explains nothing.

Now I'm going to go write a speech about how to swing a golf club because I'm in bad classes because bad life decisions now.
yeah, i learned calculus, as in "do this to make this happen" and they explained the proofs of those things (but i didn't care so i didn't pay much attention to that, tbh...), but anything with regards to application wasn't really explained. like, all i know is first derivation something something velocity, second order something something acceleration, and... that's it? i'm just banking on learning the applications of stuff as they occur, really...

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
yeah, i learned calculus, as in "do this to make this happen" and they explained the proofs of those things (but i didn't care so i didn't pay much attention to that, tbh...), but anything with regards to application wasn't really explained. like, all i know is first derivation something something velocity, second order something something acceleration, and... that's it? i'm just banking on learning the applications of stuff as they occur, really...
Derivatives are basically just finding the slope of an infinitesimal piece of a curve, so small it can be approximated as a straight line. And since the slope of a curve is its rate of change, when you derive the curve of position over time, you get the rate of change of position over time, which is your (instant) speed. When you derive the curve of speed over time, you get the rate of change of the speed over time, which is your (instant, though usually uniform in college/high school physics) acceleration. The rate of change of the rate of change of something is the second derivative.

You can basically continue deriving like this as long as you like, and some functions like the exponential or the sine and cosines come back to give you the original function, albeit possibly with a factor caused by the parameters inside.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Derivatives are basically just finding the slope of an infinitesimal piece of a curve, so small it can be approximated as a straight line. And since the slope of a stuff is its rate of stuff, when you derive the curve of stuff over time, you get the stuff of things of position over stuff, which is your (thing) speed. When you stuff the thing of maybe over time, you get the rate of sure of the thing over stuff, which is your (sure, ok why not in place stuff) whoooooo. The sure of thing of the sure of huh of something something something something something.

You can basically continue nerding like this as long as you like, and some blahblahblah like the whoopty or the blah and whatever come back to give you the original nerd, fancy prose possibly with a stuff blah by the things inside.
no offense, but this is basically what it all devolved into as i read it... i got through calc III and just kinda set it all in the archives at that point : /

CORY

wut
BRoomer
yeah, i'm hoping that's how it works out for me. i can't imagine needing THAT much calc for most chemistry related jobs.

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
yeah, i'm hoping that's how it works out for me. i can't imagine needing THAT much calc for most chemistry related jobs.
So long as you don't go into chemical engineering or chemical physics I don't think you'll need any of it.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
holding a sword behind him? draw a straight line through everything as you're building the framework, let that line be the center line of the sword. it looks awkward right now because the way the hand is set, the sword wouldn't appear behind the back like that, unless it was weirdly curved.

that sword holding forearm is also abnormally long, to correct it you would need to move the upper arm and shoulder further to the front of him. i'm assuming you're in class so you can't really stand up and do basic posing yourself, but that helps me a lot when i'm trying to figure out how something should look if it's not translating cleanly from my head.

for the legs (and sort of the arms but they don't have clothing over them so it'll work differently) picture it as two cylinders connecting with a ball joint at the knee. now, use where those cylinders overlap to show folds in fabric and that'll help the perspective a bit. like, the bottom portion is clearly in the front, on the leading leg, so you would make that cylinder have priority and show on top of the upper leg's cylinder, where they overlap. same for where the leg connects to the hip, you would see the fabric folding more around the leg there.

with musculature and bare limbs, the basic idea is still the same, but you'd have to also follow how the muscles themselves are shaped and use that as the guide, much more so than with fabric over them.

Player -0

Smash Hero
CORY CORY Yeah I just changed the non sword hand a few before I took the pic (because I took the pic on a whim). It used to be more outstretched but the pose isn't really natural and doing stuff that doesn't look natural without a base makes it look even worse.

The sword arm is already really "crunched" in. I feel like it looks weird because of the sketchy curve on the elbow. Proportions are also my enemy along with perspective which are pretty much the two most important things.

The sword behind part was done in 3 seconds a few before too. Ew, I have to pull out by binder to go mess with it now instead of being super non productive. It's currently a wip base (the pose part). Planning on adding details after that's all set.

Gonna change leg arc because it's too downward on the front leg prob. Also still not sure about the non sword arm.

Myeh

CORY

wut
BRoomer
i get what you're saying about the crunched up posing, but you'll have to shorten the leading forearm, so that it doesn't go so far back (and then change the sword's positioning entirely, most likely) or you'll have to push that leading shoulder down and in, so that the pose is physically possible and doesn't look weird.

the legs look structurally fine, but finagling the feet around would probably do a lot towards making the pose feel more powerful or dynamic.

something that i was starting to pick up on when i sketched more was using a center line for the front of the body, so i could better picture how it's bent and twisted, to make sure it's doing (mostly) what i was aiming for.

and don't take my critique too hard, i can tell it's a quicky sketch, i just can't help it most of the time ><

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277

Don't press buttons against Gief.

Seriously, don't.

Jokes aside, this was seriously awesome.

Smooth Criminal
I thought Geif was going to go down a notch without Green Hand. I was wrong.

I was gonna make an edgy rant but you guys already seen most of my school posts. So have a bad picture I'm drawing instead.

My camera is bad so sad life. Also perspective is still the worst. I'll probably mess around with it more.
2/10 Not strong enough.

Top Bottom