• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
I can't wait for that feeling but it just seems like I'll never reach it. Playing melee/pm for 4+ yrs and still going 0-2 or 1-2? :/

Although, I feel that if I had other people in person to teach me and/or play me in ultra (or melee/pm I suppose) I would finally break that barrier or at least get very close to attaining it. Living in a city with no scene or players close to you is awful when trying to improve. :[

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I can't wait for that feeling but it just seems like I'll never reach it. Playing melee/pm for 4+ yrs and still going 0-2 or 1-2? :/

Although, I feel that if I had other people in person to teach me and/or play me in ultra (or melee/pm I suppose) I would finally break that barrier or at least get very close to attaining it. Living in a city with no scene or players close to you is awful when trying to improve. :[

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I feel many low level players can only improve past a certain level with the right teacher and enough investment. The main issue seems to be not understanding fully how to break down the game; that's where the good teacher comes in. Breaking down the game makes focusing and improving areas of gameplay easier or more possible. Natural talent definitely weighs in, but until you're bordering on top level, having someone who knowledgeable who can push you in the right direction can help force the breakthroughs that wouldn't otherwise be processed.

CORY

wut
BRoomer

don't feel too bad, homie. i've been playing since melee was released and i still go 0-2 every pool match at pm weeklies : /

df has a good point, though. some people can just "see" what's important to a game and that makes it much easier than just banging your head on a wall constantly. if you're feeling up against that wall, see if you can find the better players in your area and ask them to go over recent vids with you and then play some matches using what you talked about, to get used to it. it's not a bad way to start and it's easier than asking them to remember **** that's happening midmatch.

Professor Gravy

I've got a PhD in delicious

just watch Chihayafuru and Ping-pong over and over again while reading @Umbreon 's thingy every night and practicing in every bit of free time that you'er not doing one of those and you'll get better. Simple math, anime that makes you wana get better + stuff that tells you how to get better + practice that makes you better = getting better.
actually I wouldn't know I suck at this game

D

Deleted member

man why cant bad players just be good? just do good things and win matches, stop doing bad things

edit: king funk could have managed his time better and just posted my guide instead of hitting ctrl + V like 50 times.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
"It is extremely important to be honest with yourself and your shortcomings as a player."

Humility.
The antidote to pride, AKA arrogance, AKA high self-esteem.
It is the ally of truth and improvement.
bad players are bad because they cant stop doing bad things.
They don't know how to stop doing bad things or don't care enough to improve*

"Seldom affirm, never deny, always distinguish."

drakargx

Smash Journeyman
I feel many low level players can only improve past a certain level with the right teacher and enough investment. The main issue seems to be not understanding fully how to break down the game; that's where the good teacher comes in. Breaking down the game makes focusing and improving areas of gameplay easier or more possible. Natural talent definitely weighs in, but until you're bordering on top level, having someone who knowledgeable who can push you in the right direction can help force the breakthroughs that wouldn't otherwise be processed.
I played TF2 for about 3 years almost nonstop(cus I had no friends and nothing better to do at the time lel) before taking it seriously and joining the competitive scene

I had mechanical skill like aiming but was completely useless when it came to positioning and setups for pushing/defending last and the like. I had a mentor then who helped me out quite a lot and if it wasn't for him I don't think I would've improved at all

Also when I was playing league of lasagna it wasn't until I started talking with a diamond player that I started understanding what was actually good or bad. I was theorizing builds but was coming at them on a completely different mindset than I should have, creating great wonders such as an ad lux build(although I'm still convinced it wasn't a bad idea for the time)

I would definitely agree having someone to help you out helps a lot. It's really hard to find someone better than you who will put time out to help you though

Player -0

Smash Hero
if they skipped the post they're hardcore plebs. you'd need a much larger wall to scare people off.
It's a boring short post. I figured if people were skimming then lolwhywouldIreallyreadthis

Any person can be really good but it doesn't take a genius to see that people reach their plateau at different skill levels and that plateau may be at a professionally-viable level for some particularly talented players.
I mention what it is to be a genius/smart and you respond with "it doesn't take a genius."

*dead*

The point is the lowest skill ceiling possible for a person is still highly competitively capable. I don't believe anyone in this thread/general is anywhere near that level.

Also I'm flying to japan tomorrow, I'll send you guys photos of your waifus.
Say hi to Hels lol.

The point is genius is so insane that trying to "achieve genius" so to speak is very lopsided (words, which word goes here. too busy bleah to think of one).

It's like trying to answer a loop of questions while the answer isn't one of the multiple choices. The genius can understand this.

That's my understanding/thoughts on it right now. Probably more stuff but remembering to say stuff while not being reminded about it is hard.

Genius is insane.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
laugh all you want but I didn't stop going 0-2 until I read all/most of Nausicaa's posts and had a few conversations with him about luigi

granted, I now only go like 3-2 and still have obvious weaknesses that I am having trouble getting my mind around to fixing (such as panicking and staying in shield wayyyy to much as well as getting read thanks to predictable tech habits) but I feel like I can see/understand the game a lot better than I could even a few months ago

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Anyone want Gears of War Ultimate Edition? I just got an Xbox One that came with it, but I'm not interested at all. Was hoping to trade it for Forza 6 or Horizon 2 on /r/GameTrades but I doubt I'll find anyone so may as well just give it away for free.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Player -0 Player -0 I'm pretty sure calling someone a "genius" puts them in a box the same way that calling someone a "scrub" does, because both are means of writing someone off, just in different fashions. One is pathetic misdirection on the part of the one casting judgement to keep from admitting that someone is better than them through talent/toil/both, and the speaker just doesn't want to work to get to the same level. The other is pure condescension that has the added bonus of usually making the one spewing that crap completely accurate when doing so.
/Brobdingnagian-sized bias

Shoutouts to Chivalry of a Failed Knight for going deeply enough into detail about this stuff that I was able to conjure the above paragraph of pedantry from what I learned.

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
Anyone want Gears of War Ultimate Edition? I just got an Xbox One that came with it, but I'm not interested at all. Was hoping to trade it for Forza 6 or Horizon 2 on /r/GameTrades but I doubt I'll find anyone so may as well just give it away for free.
You've been away for a while. At least this thread.

Also when did Maki become Sora?

upload_2015-12-28_0-34-25.png

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
So, after discovering lean turning (note how the player turns here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2waEhrqMprs by spamming lean into the direction they're turning), I ditched Fulcon Capital (nice reference to Captain Falcon with the name of one of the swaggest ships for the lower leagues), blasted through the rest of Hypersonic League, leaving the ultra-rubberbanding AIs in the dust, and beat the dev times on the Time Attacks by about 10 seconds each in varying machines.

On a high, I immediately hit online play, everyone, selected Spaarc Unlimited, and Alpine Trust. The load and connect times were insanely fast. Turns out I had to wait for these other two to finish racing before a bunch of others and I could join in, but I didn't have to wait long because after a few graphical glitches, the Wii U froze and emitted that loud whining sound. Now the speakers won't work, I'll unplug everything and plug them back in.

Soon, online foes, soon.

Though I'm probably gonna have to learn to use Rochdale Trust better, and probably this sick jump on Sendai Outpost: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oauaviablDE
I'm a bit more iffy on learning the suicide skips (think checkpoint manipulating and flying in F-Zero) until they're confirmed okay by the dev. I don't wanna get banned for using them. I doubt this game will get updated again, though.

I best get comfy and keep up with the community, this is the only thing like F-Zero we're getting for a while, and it has online.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
plate order me a pizza.
I have no money in my bank acc til the 2nd

I'll take it if no one else wants it

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
So, after discovering lean turning (note how the player turns here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2waEhrqMprs by spamming lean into the direction they're turning), I ditched Fulcon Capital (nice reference to Captain Falcon with the name of one of the swaggest ships for the lower leagues), blasted through the rest of Hypersonic League, leaving the ultra-rubberbanding AIs in the dust, and beat the dev times on the Time Attacks by about 10 seconds each in varying machines.

On a high, I immediately hit online play, everyone, selected Spaarc Unlimited, and Alpine Trust. The load and connect times were insanely fast. Turns out I had to wait for these other two to finish racing before a bunch of others and I could join in, but I didn't have to wait long because after a few graphical glitches, the Wii U froze and emitted that loud whining sound. Now the speakers won't work, I'll unplug everything and plug them back in.

Soon, online foes, soon.

Though I'm probably gonna have to learn to use Rochdale Trust better, and probably this sick jump on Sendai Outpost: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oauaviablDE
I'm a bit more iffy on learning the suicide skips (think checkpoint manipulating and flying in F-Zero) until they're confirmed okay by the dev. I don't wanna get banned for using them. I doubt this game will get updated again, though.

I best get comfy and keep up with the community, this is the only thing like F-Zero we're getting for a while, and it has online.
For as fast as I've seen people go in this game, these tracks just ain't doing it for me. Do any tracks really have those planetoid/tunnel elements from GX?

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
For as fast as I've seen people go in this game, these tracks just ain't doing it for me. Do any tracks really have those planetoid/tunnel elements from GX?
I think so.
Not sure what you mean by planetoid, but there's Willard Mine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6Oq9jFja7o (also Hero Mode in this video, which makes the boost bar a life meter too, just like in F-Zero. Dunno if that's only vs AI though. Online seems to be Hypersonic base game.), and Chuoku City https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpTuKXK7Sd4 has that dark metropolis feel.
Zvil Raceway has some underground (though bright) sections.
Daitoshi Station is out in space tho.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Ughhhh
Online is babby subsonic speed.
You have to back out of the lobby to select a different machine.
Shin'en pls.

Last edited:

Jonyc128

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jonnyc64
Just got home from a pretty stacked weekly. Really have to find my old groove where I never choked matches away :/, really demoralizing watching the VoD and seeing me play amazing until it all comes crashing down because of 1 tiny input error

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
whos tryna hold hands

also i got a ps4 if anyone wants to add me, my psn is CaptMeilingTH06

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I just found out Lyn has a different attack if you do down smash + opposite direction.

...This is like Mass Effect 3 levels of pain.

whos tryna hold hands

also i got a ps4 if anyone wants to add me, my psn is CaptMeilingTH06
Get me a PS4 to body you in KOF scrub.

Yung Mei

do i look like a ****in mexican to you

all i got is rocket league/ygo/battlefront rn

CORY

wut
BRoomer
I just found out Lyn has a different attack if you do down smash + opposite direction.

...This is like Mass Effect 3 levels of pain.

Get me a PS4 to body you in KOF scrub.
i saw some footage of the dev build knuckles and lyn. they had some really ****ing awesome concepts going on with them. i don't know if i would've wanted to play either of them, but i'm really sad that stuff isn't going to get polished up the way it deserved : (

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Books, covers, shouldn't judge, blah, blah, blabbity.
I genuinely thought he was Mexican but I'm not trying to judge or anything (other than he's an anime nerd, that does deserve my judgment). Must of been the mustache.

Edit: Now I get the Mexican potshots like the botas.

i saw some footage of the dev build knuckles and lyn. they had some really ****ing awesome concepts going on with them. i don't know if i would've wanted to play either of them, but i'm really sad that stuff isn't going to get polished up the way it deserved : (
I feel like this is a monkey paw wish similar to getting Conor McGregor showing up to my house.

Last edited:

Yung Mei

of course im mexican you fool lmaoooo

cant wait to 193-0 u @ genesis son

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Early New years resolution thread go

I'll post mine when I wake up, need to sleep on my ideas

Last edited:
Top Bottom