• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Fortress

Smash Master
I mean, back when the PMDT was a thing, didn't you have to be, you know, good at the game to design for a character? I wouldn't want players at my skill level designing games.

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
I mean, back when the PMDT was a thing, didn't you have to be, you know, good at the game to design for a character? I wouldn't want players at my skill level designing games.
What if it was worse than you thought and they were below it?

SunJester

Smash Ace

PMTV!!!!

I'd like to see them consider creating a backroom of top players who can decide on a unifying rule-set. I think that would be the next big step for our scene.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
I assume you don't have to be good at the game to design, that's what playtesters are for. I'm pretty sure Sakurai isn't exactly great at the games he makes and yet it didn't stop him.

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
I assume you don't have to be good at the game to design, that's what playtesters are for. I'm pretty sure Sakurai isn't exactly great at the games he makes and yet it didn't stop him.
A man who can play with two controllers in his lap while experiencing carpal tunnel syndrome, not great at his games.

Like okay, I haven't seen Sakurai actually play, but I'm not sure it's any better to say he wasn't good at what he did either.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Kirby 64 was phenomenal, you shut your ***** mouth.
It was, but Sakurai doesn't have to be good at the game he makes in order to make good games.

A man who can play with two controllers in his lap while experiencing carpal tunnel syndrome, not great at his games.

Like okay, I haven't seen Sakurai actually play, but I'm not sure it's any better to say he wasn't good at what he did either.
That's not what I said at all. How do you get that I said he isn't good at designing if he's not good at playing the games? o.O

Last edited:

SunJester

Smash Ace
The best Kirby game is definitely Super Star. The movement feels crisp and its got really varied game modes. Plus the idea of a single power up having several different moves was amazing.

I like Kirby 64 (i mean I just replayed it roughly 2~ months ago) but its movement is really watered down, and it feels way less varied than Super Star. Combining power ups is cool except each one only has one move :(

Seriously though, Super Star is incredible, definitely one of the best co-op experiences out there.

Last edited:

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
That's not what I said at all. How do you get that I said he isn't good at designing if he's not good at playing the games? o.O
i

but that is what you said

I'm pretty sure Sakurai isn't exactly great at the games he makes and yet it didn't stop him.
and you also just did it again regarding kirby 64

It was, but Sakurai doesn't have to be good at the game he makes in order to make good games.

the implication you made was that sakurai wasn't actually any good at what he made and still designed great games

the pmdt was more than competent at what they did with pm and this team is not looking it at all, especially with what they're asking for

good games tend to be made by good designers who tend to know what makes a game good, which coincidentally means they've played games to a good extent to have that philosophy

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
sakurai wasn't involved in kirby 64. I know this b/c last I checked it was the first kirby thing he didn't have major input on

PMTV!!!!

I'd like to see them consider creating a backroom of top players who can decide on a unifying rule-set. I think that would be the next big step for our scene.
also oh my GOD THIS IS GORGEOUS

current pmunderground site is a tad shaky (header leaks through the navbar on firefox) but I am so glad for this

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
i

but that is what you said

and you also just did it again regarding kirby 64

the implication you made was that sakurai wasn't actually any good at what he made and still designed great games

the pmdt was more than competent at what they did with pm and this team is not looking it at all, especially with what they're asking for

good games tend to be made by good designers who tend to know what makes a game good, which coincidentally means they've played games to a good extent to have that philosophy
No. What I said is that I doubt that he's really good at playing the games he designs, and that it doesn't stop him from designing. Never once did I say or imply that he designed bad games. Being a hard worker is not the same thing as being proficient in playing the games you make. I never mentioned the PMDT or whatever this new team is as I was only ever focused on the specific thing Fortress said. And that is that you don't necessarily have to be great at what you create to be a great creator.

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
No. What I said is that I doubt that he's really good at playing the games he designs, and that it doesn't stop him from designing. Never once did I say or imply that he designed bad games. Being a hard worker is not the same thing as being proficient in playing the games you make. I never mentioned the PMDT or whatever this new team is as I was only ever focused on the specific thing Fortress said. And that is that you don't necessarily have to be great at what you create to be a great creator.
i'm sorry but that has to be the biggest consolation-prize-ass bull**** i've ever heard to explain game design

i never said he designed bad games at any point. my implication is that he is a good designer because he has good design philosophy, and that good design philosophy comes from deep experience with games.

i'm pretty sure good creators happen to be good at the thing they're doing.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
i'm sorry but that has to be the biggest consolation-prize-*** bull**** i've ever heard to explain game design

i never said he designed bad games at any point. my implication is that he is a good designer because he has good design philosophy, and that good design philosophy comes from deep experience with games.

i'm pretty sure good creators happen to be good at the thing they're doing.
I don't even know what you're arguing about at this point.

I didn't say you did say that he designed bad games, I was only explaining my post and the implications that it seemed to me that you took from it. To me, it sounded like you were saying that I was saying that Sakurai was a bad designer, which was never what I said nor intended.

All I said and all I ever said was that I don't think you have to be good at playing the games you make in order to be capable of creating games well. Is there something offensive about that?

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
no, but you can't make balanced games if you're not very good at it

even the PMDT, the rando group of rapscallions, had heavy basis in this. strong bad was only brought in many moons ago because he showed he had an honest-to-god DK in melee, and they needed someone who knew melee DK well

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
no, but you can't make balanced games if you're not very good at it

even the PMDT, the rando group of rapscallions, had heavy basis in this. strong bad was only brought in many moons ago because he showed he had an honest-to-god DK in melee, and they needed someone who knew melee DK well
That might be true, but I wasn't talking about balance, just games in general.

I don't think even people that are good at the games can create a truly balanced game. No matter what you do, there's going to be unbalance unless every single character is identical. It's just a flaw inherent in having different kinds of characters with different playstyles.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I think it really depends. A lot of people that balance games aren't necessarily top players, they just take information FROM top level play and apply it to how they balance the game. Like, SF2's designers up until Super Turbo were not professionals but their AI code and their general game design philosophy evolved as they learned from high level players which led to Super Turbo, a masterpiece, if you will.

It helps if you're at least decent at the game though haha.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
The obligatory 'who wants to cuddle' post was done, so I'll address something that hasn't really gotten the attention it deserves; with that said,

just become a sadboy like me, then people will love you for your a e s t h e t i c
:^)
Nutrition? Fitness? Run Mech run! While you have the chance!
Me? Flee from my problems? As if. Not being a lazy, paranoid moron about stuff like that is precisely why I've lost and kept off the 40+ pounds that I've dropped over the course of this year.
I have classes in five hours and I can't sleep, so wassup peeps
Join the club

Also, Yung Mei Yung Mei >going to NY
>not including me

Last edited:

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Yay. I got selected for AZTEC CORE. I'm going to spend 3 days up in Julian, CA at a camping site to boost up my leadership/team skills. Please assume that if I don't chime in three days after January 7th, that a local deranged man wearing a hockey mask with a machete has 4 stocked me. Please play bagpipes in my honor.

Also, getting in on the butt discussion, firm is top tier yo. AND if you have access to a rowing machine, make that your cardio cause rowing is SO much beneficial than say running for 30 minutes.

You don't need to keep making this same critical post to every person who uses hyperbole.
Hiding is weak.
Imagine Alex clutching his headband saying "weak"
Crossing my fingers for Alex in SFV.

We can fix that

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
Ey, if you guys are still playing cards against humanity, can I join in?

I'm feeling lonely right now.

eideeiit

Smash Ace
Reading about sleeping troubles, I felt like recommending f.lux again.

Use f.lux folks. It makes falling asleep after internet so much easier.

Top Bottom