• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I watch DB Super for whoever asked that. Pretty good so far, really liking how it's been more akin to the original Dragon ball instead of Z
Dragon Ball is bae. And I'm so happy that Super is taking after DB instead of DBZ.
I actually don't think it's like the original Dragon Ball at all. Sure, the pacing is way better than DBZ's was and it's much more light-hearted with a focus on humour, but the general formula is still basically just training.... generic DBZ fight.... training...... generic DBZ fight, scattered with many mid-battle power-ups and plenty of rivalry between Vegeta and Goku. Dragon Ball had a far less formulaic story to it and the training was either more meaningful (like Goku+Krillen's training with Muten Roshi, or Goku's training with Karin) or Goku had to overcome trials with immense adversity to gain more strength (such as climbing Karin Tower or drinking the Ultra Divine Water after navigating the Cave of Darkness), and the fights were totally different.

I can't really blame Toriyama, DBZ strayed way too far from DB for them to feasibly backtrack towards that style (how are you gonna go from DBZ-style fights to DB's more basic combat? It just wouldn't make sense with how strong the characters are lol) but it really doesn't give me the classic DB vibe at all, feels much more like a light-hearted version of DBZ to me. Not necessarily a bad thing, although I still much prefer DB.

Smash today, wish me luck.
Good luck~~ <3.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
everyone who ever talks about preferring DB to DBZ has probably never even watched/read DB

people tend to assume it's different and better for the same reason that people tend to assume that the Star Wars prequels are different and worse (because someone they look up to told them to think that way)

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Bleck Bleck Casuls like them are entitled to freely feel the way they do no matter what silly elitists like me and you think.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I actually don't think it's like the original Dragon Ball at all. Sure, the pacing is way better than DBZ's was and it's much more light-hearted with a focus on humour, but the general formula is still basically just training.... generic DBZ fight.... training...... generic DBZ fight, scattered with many mid-battle power-ups and plenty of rivalry between Vegeta and Goku. Dragon Ball had a far less formulaic story to it and the training was either more meaningful (like Goku+Krillen's training with Muten Roshi, or Goku's training with Karin) or Goku had to overcome trials with immense adversity to gain more strength (such as climbing Karin Tower or drinking the Ultra Divine Water after navigating the Cave of Darkness), and the fights were totally different.

I can't really blame Toriyama, DBZ strayed way too far from DB for them to feasibly backtrack towards that style (how are you gonna go from DBZ-style fights to DB's more basic combat? It just wouldn't make sense with how strong the characters are lol) but it really doesn't give me the classic DB vibe at all, feels much more like a light-hearted version of DBZ to me. Not necessarily a bad thing, although I still much prefer DB.

Good luck~~ <3.
The reason why people are calling it more of a return to DB is simply because the story which was DB's strongest aspect is stronger in DBS than in DBZ. I mean up until the Beerus fight, it was nothing but lighthearted adventure and a reunion of the cast. They were setting up for the fight and really at this point there was no challenger so yeah Goku and Vegeta were doing nothing but training; and it was generic training at that, so its not surprising in that regard.

But if you look at the movies. Specifically Resurrection of F; the training in the movie is meaningful and even then its kept to a low because they're focusing a lot more on the cast.

Idk. DBS to me, leans a lot more to DB than DBZ but maybe its because I have Resurrection of F fresh in my mind which hardly felt like Dragon Ball Z to me.

everyone who ever talks about preferring DB to DBZ has probably never even watched/read DB
???????????????

i dont get this line at all lol

Last edited:

Jonyc128

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jonnyc64
The reason why people are calling it more of a return to DB is simply because the story which was DB's strongest aspect is stronger in DBS than in DBZ. I mean up until the Beerus fight, it was nothing but lighthearted adventure and a reunion of the cast. They were setting up for the fight and really at this point there was no challenger so yeah Goku and Vegeta were doing nothing but training; and it was generic training at that, so its not surprising in that regard.

But if you look at the movies. Specifically Resurrection of F; the training in the movie is meaningful and even then its kept to a low because they're focusing a lot more on the cast.

Idk. DBS to me, leans a lot more to DB than DBZ but maybe its because I have Resurrection of F fresh in my mind which hardly felt like Dragon Ball Z to me.

???????????????

i dont get this line at all lol
Yea basically what he said, to me DB focused more on characters while DBZ focused more on fighting, and not as much character development unless you were Piccolo, Gohan, or Vegeta.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
shairn is one of the top tier posts in this thread so its not surprising that people would want to channel his **** posting.

which gets me thinking...

what would a PMS Poster Tier List look like?

LETS MAKE THIS HAPPEN

drakargx

Smash Journeyman
shairn is one of the top tier posts in this thread so its not surprising that people would want to channel his **** posting.

LETS MAKE THIS HAPPEN
Can I be at the top because of my stories

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko

Vashimus

Smash Master

LETS MAKE THIS HAPPEN
The old one was a year ago, but it was based on people's personalities or how I viewed them rather than gauging the quality of their posts, unless someone was especially noteworthy for making good ones. It's just funnier that way, and I love practically everyone on here, so I don't want to rank people as better or worse than others going by whatever the definition of a model poster is.

I'll definitely update it when I have a good chunk of time since I want to include as many people in it as possible, though I won't stop people from making their own.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
A lot of people don't fall for that match up.

Besides, just because you have a bad match up doesn't mean you can't be top tier.

Strong bad suffers from like a 20 : 80 match up with bleck. 30 : 70 ever since he got his admin buffs. Doesn't change the fact that he's still at the top of the tier list.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Yeah just having a single poor MU doesnt make you'll be top or bottom tier.

Your overall MU spread with other posters in PMS is what helps you be top tier or not.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Problem is that it's hard to have an MU spread because most people don't get in arguments with anyone else aside from bleck and the now recent gender identity thing.

A tier list that depends on quality of posts is relative to each tier list maker if it was trying really hard to be as accurate as possible. Makes it difficult since people's perceptions of who posts good content varies from person to person.

If you want to do it factually though then it goes to number of likes and SB wins that for some strange reason. His PMDT + Admin powers get him likes for basically whatever he posts. Not hating at all; although that's pretty OP tbh fam. And even before that, his posts have always been consistently well liked.

A tier list similar to the one vash posted is the best because then it's got accurate tiers based on what people do and how they act. It doesn't put anyone up against each other but rather groups people into specific categories of types of people.

It's also easier for other people to provide feedback and say if they feel people belong in certain tiers or not.

It's better that way personally.

Last edited:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Problem is that it's hard to have an MU spread because most people don't get in arguments with anyone else aside from bleck and the now recent gender identity thing.

A tier list that depends on quality of posts is relative to each tier list maker if it was trying really hard to be as accurate as possible. Makes it difficult since people's perceptions of who posts good content varies from person to person.

If you want to do it factually though then it goes to number of likes and SB wins that for some strange reason. His PMDT + Admin powers get him likes for basically whatever he posts. Not hating at all; although that's pretty OP tbh fam. And even before that, his posts have always been consistently well liked.

A tier list similar to the one vash posted is the best because then it's got accurate tiers based on what people do and how they act. It doesn't put anyone up against each other but rather groups people into specific categories of types of people.

It's also easier for other people to provide feedback and say if they feel people belong in certain tiers or not.

It's better that way personally.
Yeah I wouldnt be surprised to see Strong Bad at the top of the tier list. His moveset is fundamentally good and on top of that his status within Smashboards and the PM community only serve to make his general moveset even more effective.

People who dont get into arguements probably are people who have yet to have their counterplay discovered.

Everyone has something they'll argue about. That just shows that the community as a lack of MU knowledge which is why they cant bait said posters into arguements frequently.

But even then, there are just some posters that are naturally either good at zoning to avoid going 1 on 1 in arguements or are just too mobile and jump from topic to topic, preventing them from getting sucked into arguements.

The quality of their posts tend to be fairly good coincidentally.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
The old one was a year ago, but it was based on people's personalities or how I viewed them rather than gauging the quality of their posts, unless someone was especially noteworthy for making good ones. It's just funnier that way, and I love practically everyone on here, so I don't want to rank people as better or worse than others going by whatever the definition of a model poster is.

I'll definitely update it when I have a good chunk of time since I want to include as many people in it as possible, though I won't stop people from making their own.
you gotta move spidermad from "in the lab" to the new "circumcision" tier

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Damn, I'm not on there because it was before the Christmas Hat Rampage of '14 when I actually started posting here more frequently.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Binary Clone Binary Clone did you get undertale yet.

I require your powers but I don't want to give you spoilers either.

Edit : Someone else had me covered ;-;

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
People who dont get into arguements probably are people who have yet to have their counterplay discovered.

Everyone has something they'll argue about. That just shows that the community as a lack of MU knowledge which is why they cant bait said posters into arguements frequently.

But even then, there are just some posters that are naturally either good at zoning to avoid going 1 on 1 in arguements or are just too mobile and jump from topic to topic, preventing them from getting sucked into arguements.

The quality of their posts tend to be fairly good coincidentally.
You're under the assumption that arguments are inherently bad things to have and should be avoided, which isn't always true. As long as people keep it civil, having disagreements and debates is one of the healthiest things we can do as humans.

Strong Bad has argued with plenty of people in the past - we all remember THAT post. Hylian will squash misinformation as soon as it's created. What's that, the player's better than him? Doesn't matter, he'll call bull**** as he sees it. Do I even need to bring up Umbreon? People who get into arguments even just occasionally come off far more genuine (and thus are more respected) than those who choose to avoid conflict altogether, especially if they're saying the right things. It's one thing if you're a kind person, but you don't get a freaking medal just because you don't want to rock the boat. Anyone can do that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom