• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Test unzipping other regular files / downloads

Also when you unzip the ISO's, do you try to extract the entire download or just part of it? Sometimes I have had to go directly to the ISO and extract nothing else, and others I have to extract the entire named folder + random notepad notes people sometimes leave

Last edited:

drakargx

Smash Journeyman
Someone help
oh geez
golly gosh
neither WinRAR nor 7zip will extract archives for me
I can open them in the file managers just fine
I downloaded zipped melee isos from a couple different sites, for use on netplay
and now I can't unzip them
they just keep giving me "file is broken" or "archive is corrupt" or w/e and only half extracting the isos
whatever will I play, without melee
What do you mean when you say you can open them in file managers?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
the built in file managers for 7zip and WinRAR could open the archives and view the files inside (typically it was the iso itself and then a link to the original download site/read-me compressed into one .zip file). But trying to extract these failed about halfway through

ElGoombaswag

Hououin Kyoma
NNID
cdoggfuentes
the built in file managers for 7zip and WinRAR could open the archives and view the files inside (typically it was the iso itself and then a link to the original download site/read-me compressed into one .zip file). But trying to extract these failed about halfway through
You might need to get rid of space.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
actually didn't realize windows came with an unzipper
just uninstalled 7zip+winrar and tried the native unzipper, didn't work, stopped halfway through and gave me an error, gonna google it

EDIT: I have over 800 gigs of space I don't think melee is that big

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Possible download error

Possible HDD errors / defrag needed? Not needed for SSD's

Other than that, not sure

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
I am sleep deprived at Easter function and Twitter isn't updating fast enough to keep me engaged help

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I am sleep deprived at Easter function and Twitter isn't updating fast enough to keep me engaged help
WARCHAMP GOOD TIMING HELP ME PROBLEM

a google search incorrectly told me this has to do with a password protected zip file but neither 7zip nor WinRAR prompted me for passwords when they failed to open the files. plus it was multiple different files so ¯\(°_o)/¯

Last edited:

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
WARCHAMP GOOD TIMING HELP ME PROBLEM

a google search incorrectly told me this has to do with a password protected zip file but neither 7zip nor WinRAR prompted me for passwords when they failed to open the files. plus it was multiple different files so ¯\(°_o)/¯
Your potato is broken you need a new potato

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
I'm at Sakura Con. Waiting in lines is fun.

Helsong

Smash Ace
So I voted Simon Belmont.

The NES/SNES one. Not the recent grimdark Kratos wannabe.
An SMT rep would be godlike, though.

Last edited:

drakargx

Smash Journeyman
no rly wat is problem
The most drastic thing I could think of is that your ram either isn't inserted correctly or is bad, get memtest86 on a usb stick and test your memory

The least drastic thing I could think of is that you actually got several bad copies of melee

Both have happened to me before but both cases were caused by really dumb issues so I want to believe it won't be the same for you

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
The most drastic thing I could think of is that your ram either isn't inserted correctly or is bad, get memtest86 on a usb stick and test your memory

The least drastic thing I could think of is that you actually got several bad copies of melee

Both have happened to me before but both cases were caused by really dumb issues so I want to believe it won't be the same for you
awful advice 0/10, memtest86 (it unzipped correctly? wtf) successfully ruined USB drive and could not boot memtest86 from it anyways. I even set my HDD as dead last in boot order, still did not boot memtest86 from the USB

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Someone help
oh geez
golly gosh
I downloaded zipped melee isos from a couple different sites, for use on netplay
they just keep giving me "file is broken" or "archive is corrupt" or w/e and only half extracting the isos
Guys, really this is probably just a problem with the download files, I'd think.

What's most likely is that your computer is DLing them as a .7z instead of a .rar or the downloads are actually uncompressed but your computer is mistakenly thinking that it's a .rar or .zip instead of a .iso.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Uh yeah I think .iso is one of the filetypes WinRAR auto-associates itself with.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Memtest86 should of worked fine.

But if Memtest86 unzipped correctly, then maybe the download of whatever files you were downloading might of gotten corrupted.

I've got a very tedious process that I want you to try. I hope you still have WinRaR.

Download the Melee rar or 7z or whatever file it is again. But I want you to watch the download from start to finish. See if it ends early.

I've had issues with downloading things that are at least 800mb's or more.
This has happened multiple times for me when downloading emulated games too. (RIP falsebound kingdom ;_; )

Last edited:

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
(it unzipped correctly? wtf)
oh well if that's unzipping incorrectly too then it might just be an issue with whatever you're trying to unzip stuff with.

I had a similar issue a while ago that ended up being just a filetype problem that was fairly easy to fix.

Uh yeah I think .iso is one of the filetypes WinRAR auto-associates itself with.
Same with 7zip, but I had the same/similar problem using 7zip a few months ago that was just that filetype issue.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I don't actually remember the download type tho I know they were compressed, but shouldn't 7zip have been able to open it regardless?
either way I'm trying another site, romhustler, and watching the download the whole time
if it won't let me download past a certain filesize, why would that be?

@ Binary Clone Binary Clone re-read what you quoted

Last edited:

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
I don't actually remember the download type tho I know they were compressed, but shouldn't 7zip have been able to open it regardless?
either way I'm trying another site, romhustler, and watching the download the whole time
if it won't let me download past a certain filesize, why would that be?

@ Binary Clone Binary Clone re-read what you quoted
oh my b

I'm good at englishing

If it won't let you download past a certain filesize I'm guessing that's just the site's policy and they'll charge you or you have to be a member or something?

drakargx

Smash Journeyman
Actually scrap the memory being faulty thing, I forgot that my computer also blue screened every ~30 minutes when that happened

My guess is if it won't let you download past a certain size its on the website's end and not yours, so trying different sites is your best bet

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
that was a hypothetical, either way I just watched the download for the last download and it completed properly. It's a RAR file, so the native unzipper couldn't unzip it (or idk how to get it to) so I just redownloaded 7zip and tried to extract
it extracted almost all the way through then at the very end gave me file broken again. I thought maybe it's just the extra files in the RAR so I tried running the melee iso in dolphin to no avail, black screen, FML

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Someone help
oh geez
golly gosh
I'll give you a direct .iso file link if you can't figure it out
@ SpiderMad SpiderMad oi, can Squirtle waveland his bair
http://smashboards.com/threads/squirtle-squad-general-disc.331682/page-48#post-18150577

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
To answer your one question @ Saito Saito No you're not
Noted.

I don't care for infractions or bans.

@ DrinkingFood DrinkingFood
The steps I provided earlier for helping to fix broken RaR archives in general in case you didn't see them
Open the archive
Click the back/up arrow (I don't know what it is but it's highlighted in the picture
From there you would locate the RaR file again and right click it and hit repair archive as shown in the second picture.
Set it to a zip file if prompted
Post results if that fixed your problem with your archive.

step 1.png

As said earlier, this can work if the archive isn't too corrupted, but I don't know how corrupted it might be.
Hopefully it fixes your problem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom