• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
So so you're saying that brawl at THE DEFINITIVE smash tournament draws less players than some locals

Lizalfos

Smash Master
This. The guy is really creative, ain't no one saying the opposite. He's just too stubborn and unable to take criticism to be a good dev.
The way he talks, he seems to need to have say in everything. No wonder he has hurt his health and personal life. I'm not sure that warrants much sympathy from anyone.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Happy new year, 2015 seems nice so far. I hope I reach some of my aims for this year.

Apex reg numbers so far

lol Brawl

Edit: Slightly more up to date numbers
I wonder how much PM would have if it was at Apex. I guess it would be around 80% of Melee.

to all europeans

We will forgive you! One day more or less doesn't make the difference!

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
This. The guy is really creative, ain't no one saying the opposite. He's just too stubborn and unable to take criticism to be a good dev.
Alternatively, everything good is lost in translation, and he takes observations of everyone as opposed to just the competitive players.

Never really felt like he needed to pay attention to everyone because as long as he makes the game fun, the majority of people will play it anyway.

Appealing to that small minority of competitive players, I feel like he thinks it will alienate the other players. It kind of does for those who don't want to work to improve, but even smash 4 as it is does this. all it does from my perspective is leave the game less appealing to everyone as a whole as opposed to just the majority.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
The way he talks, he seems to need to have say in everything. No wonder he has hurt his health and personal life. I'm not sure that warrants much sympathy from anyone.
It's not that he has to have a say in everything, but that it never really seems like he takes the opinions of anyone that isn't himself into account. They said they did it with Smash4, but seeing the game in action and their "competitive" For Glory mode, makes me question whether they put more than a cursory glance into competitive Smash.

To be fair though, it's not exactly uncommon for a Japanese game designer to completely ignore western markets and just do things that they think work. It's probably part of why the Japanese games market is primarily mobile games now and why their console releases seem to be so lackluster.

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
"Have you ever made a game?"

But yea, lets get Iwata to make the next one (screw being a CEO).

Apex reg numbers so far

lol Brawl

Edit: Slightly more up to date numbers
That feel when the oldest game in the series, has more entrants.

Last edited:

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
It's not that he has to have a say in everything, but that it never really seems like he takes the opinions of anyone that isn't himself into account. They said they did it with Smash4, but seeing the game in action and their "competitive" For Glory mode, makes me question whether they put more than a cursory glance into competitive Smash.

To be fair though, it's not exactly uncommon for a Japanese game designer to completely ignore western markets and just do things that they think work. It's probably part of why the Japanese games market is primarily mobile games now and why their console releases seem to be so lackluster.
It's true that a good deal of the market there is mobile nowadays, but if your dealing in the console business (which is all Nintendo really has unless they put in a decent mobile effort), then that needs to be focused on. Also, the US is by no means a small part of Nintendo's profit and management, let alone investors and of course some amazing outside developers (Retro Studio's(Texas I believe), and Next Level Games (Canada) come to mind).

Vashimus

Smash Master
What I like to think happens when Sakurai is home

Mrs. Sakurai: Honey, I read your interview with 4gamer. We need to talk.

Sakurai: Oh jeez.

Mrs. Sakurai: In the article, you're coming across as cold to the competitive players. It's really putting you in a bad light, and I don't like it.

Sakurai: How am I being cold? They have their Gamecube controllers and their crappy no items, Final Destination mode. I patched glitches, did some minor balancing, gave them back their stupid DI, and they're getting Mewtwo early next year. What more do I need to do for these people?

Mrs. Sakurai: Yet you removed DACUS! Is pivoting going to be next on the list?

Sakurai: Ughhh, not this **** again.

Mrs. Sakurai: Competitive communities are what truly make games thrive, sweetie. Without them, no one would have such an intense devotion to games, and people would just move onto whatever shiny new thing came out. Going as far as to say there is no future for competitive Smash is ridiculous.

Sakurai: I'm sorry, have you ever made a game?

Mrs. Sakurai: ....I made the menus for every game so far, don't you dare pull this on me.

Sakurai: Look, ever since the success of the first Smash Bros, who has Nintendo called upon to get the new Smash done? Me. Every time. Even when I left so I could start my own development studio, I was still contacted and asked to direct the new one. Why? Because they know I'm the best man for the job.

Mrs. Sakurai: I know you are, but ever thought that sometimes your thoughts and opinion aren't the only ones that matter? And maybe being just a tad bit more open minded to the whole thing. The competitive Smash community has already had its fair share ridicule from other communitieis. There's no need to rub more salt in their wounds.

Sakurai: ....They don't have wounds anymore. They're battle scarred warriors at this point.

Mrs. Sakurai: And you won't find a more devoted fanbase.

Sakurai: .......

Mrs. Sakurai: Dinner will be ready in a bit.

Sakurai: Mmm-hmm.

*reaches over and kisses him before she leaves*

Sakurai: (groans)....Yeah, I guess I won't.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Alternatively, everything good is lost in translation, and he takes observations of everyone as opposed to just the competitive players.

Never really felt like he needed to pay attention to everyone because as long as he makes the game fun, the majority of people will play it anyway.
I wasn't considering the competitive pov when I made that statement. He just seems more stubborn than necessary. A certain degree of stubbornness is healthy, giving in willy-nilly to fan demands isn't always the best option (see PMDT, they're stubborn when it is needed). But Sakurai takes it to another level, and it's blatantly apparent in his interviews. Remember the dark pit debacle? What's his response to a big portion of the fanbase disliking a questionable and lazy inclusion? Calling them "kids" and using a bad dessert analogy. His aggro tone when addressing parts of the fanbase (not limited to competitive players) is too over-the-top, and he always refers to a "majority" of smash players he seeks to satisfy. I'm quite frankly not sure in which part of the universe this "majority" lives, but I certainly haven't seen it first-hand or anywhere on the internet.

From what I understand, he believes there's never anything wrong with his decisions. ****ty balance in brawl? Ez: balance = not being fun. Tripping? It's funny, so why the hell not. Melee becoming a huge competitive success despite being designed as a party game? Pshhh, it was all part of the plan.

A Sakurai rant might not have been the best way to end the year, specially when this is my third one in 2 days. But no matter.

Unrelated, but it's a shame Kirby's Epic Yarn wasn't made by Sakurai; it probably embodies everything he stands for.

And with that, happy new years to all, may it be one filled with joy and devoid of regret and despair

Venom_909

Smash Apprentice
real talk if Falcon had a better recovery would he be broken

I say no
He would be top 5 ez. His one huge flaw is dying anytime hes offstage. In melee it felt not as bad cuz most the kill moves sent him up and away. (spacies) so you could falcon kick / and try to fade in (out) when recovering. Feels like a lot of pm moves hit you to the point you need to recover low so its a grab edge / free punish type deal. Falcon makes up for this with his redic neutral game and ability to control the opponent so much off stray hits / kill off hits. so if you were to say give him a solid recovery like a space animal it would be over :). Yeah its cool you gave him raptor boost sweetspots but you have to be really really close for that to be used so the mix up when recovering is almost nothing.

I feel in a sense this is needed for the balance of falcon. Hes THE glass cannon of smash. When played optimally you can destroy just about anyone. IF you fall tho your going to shatter into a million pieces / die off the stage at 20% or 80% if you count them having to bair you 4 times with the 45+ frames of end lag on his up b on stage. (not sure how many frames of endlag he has but its really really really bad)

Over all hes still one my fav to play as and hes one my mains.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Oof, Fsmarths saying that if they went Marth instead of Young Link, they would have won. Then saying my Falco is bad. I guess I didn't waveshine over him enough.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
bout to update to ios 8.1.2

then crush it with a jailbreak

becuz i need mah tunes

Top Bottom