• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Out of curiosity, did the meaning of #47 ever get explained and I just missed it?
People were freaking out when they realized that 3.5 got released 47 days before the end of the year. Not sure if that was it, though.

In other news, I finally replaced my loud-ass ceiling fan. Sweet, sweet silence.

Leafeon

Verdant Pokémon
How much did you skim? He addressed his thoughts on the overpowered tools.
Not much. tl;dr 100th post complaining about nerfs to mah main.

I just figured it's gonna be about like every other post-- "My main was nerfed. I disagree with this, this and this. I practiced so hard to do this. Now it's useless. I don't want to play (optional 'my character') anymore."

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
Replying to something you haven't read fully is really dumb. If you had at least read it and misunderstood or disagreed I could see that but reeaalllly. Of course I can see your reluctance to read this because of the sheer amount of posts that simply complain and it's a massive pain to read more or even posts that seem similar.

Of course I'm a hypocrit and do this sometimes but I try not to reply unless I read it.

Leafeon

Verdant Pokémon
Replying to something you haven't read fully is really dumb. If you had at least read it and misunderstood or disagreed I could see that but reeaalllly. Of course I can see your reluctance to read this because of the sheer amount of posts that simply complain and it's a massive pain to read more or even posts that seem similar.

Of course I'm a hypocrit and do this sometimes but I try not to reply unless I read it.

So I read it.

And then I wasn't even wrong.

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
So, I hate to be "that guy", but after playing 3.5 a little bit more, I feel like there was some bad decisions made here and there. It's overall still a decent build and probably the closest to Melee/the original project goal, but I get the impression that some characters were changed without regard for how a good number of players played the character, just regards for what made them "normal". I understand that and appreciate that, but I honestly feel like this is why some things need to be more transparent when developing the game; too much was changed too late in the meta. I spent a year and a half honing my ability to pressure with Lucas' magnet, and now it doesn't even freaking work. A whole niche of tech skill, all invalidated because people didn't want to just give the pressure some kind of drawback that wouldn't affect playstyle. I don't want magnet to be free as hell just to throw it out, but why is it basically unsafe to use it as before?

Half of 3.5 Lucas feels great, and I'm happy he got nerfed and isn't OP, but it hardly matters when all my playstyle practice got crapped on. As much as I was happy with 3.5 when it first came out and as much as characters like Samus, Bowser, and Ness seem great, Lucas just feels like half of what he was got thrown in the dumpster, with the other half remaining. I'm gonna play around with the build for a while longer still, but I'm beginning to worry I'm going to lose motivation to play the game. Not because I think Lucas is "bad" now, but just because as soon as I got decent with him and create a playstyle for myself and got a reputation, my playstyle became completely unviable. I could understand if magnet needed nerfs. Fine. +2 on shield is pretty dumb. But the solution isn't to make it -2 instead so that it's basically impossible to use it as anything but a slower combo shine you can opt to hold out. His recovery nerfs? Great. Totally necessary. OU/OUUsmash nerf? Definitely needed, perhaps more was needed. Dair nerf? absolutely. bair nerf? You have my vote. But those were things that didn't define Lucas as a character for me; they helped flavor his already present playstyle, which to me was insane mobility/mindgames/flashyness and pressuring the opponent into a bad position so you could combo them. I guess magnet pressure probably didn't define Lucas for a lot of people or something, but I still feel like my entire opinion as a player was completely invalidated. I don't win major tournaments, but I've placed well at regionals. What level do I have to reach to where the work I put in is seen as valuable?

As much as I hated 3.02 Zelda, I feel kind of bad for Zelda mains. She's been changed drastically in practically every build. Same goes for Sonic, despite how much I hate him too. I had a period where I stopped playing Lucas in 3.02 because I thought something like this might happen, but I trusted the words of the PMDT, which were mostly true. I'm sad to say though that Lucas lost a huge part of his identity. Congratulations, he plays like Falco with a crappier projectile and a horizontal shine, without the pressure and a janky upsmash.

Honestly though? I don't want to debate this, I don't want to have my Thanksgiving break filled up with long-winded posts filled with reasons why it "doesn't matter" that I can't play the way I'm used to, or be told that I was just a Lucas scrub who abused the character, even if my particular style wasn't abusive or dishonest compared to other Lucases who just ran around dairing into upsmash. I just want to vent this crap out somewhere until I can get some clarity in more gameplay or a "3.5b", I guess. I could be completely wrong and my perception is just emotionally affected right now, so forgive me if that's the case. Just kinda dumping my current thoughts here, trying to sift into some clarity through my own venting.

But as it stands right now, unless I "get used to" how he's supposed to play now in tandem with my old style, or figure something out, or have some good matches, or read some encouraging news about a patch, or SOMETHING changes, I don't see myself playing this game much longer. And that's REALLY sad, because in 3.02, you couldn't get me to say anything negative about PM except "3.02 has some jank stuff, but it'll get patched/fixed in 3.5". At this rate, I might as well just play Samus or some other Melee character who won't get touched much, but if that's the case, I still don't know if it's worth my effort.

Apologies for any hard feelings perceived. I just feel like crap about this whole scenario. I'm sorry. I also have been up like 22 hours (No-Sleep johns are legit). I'm going to sleep.
Don't worry, dude. I know exactly how you feel; I played Lucas in a way very similar to you with how you describe it, and I feel the same way you do. Sadly, you just have to adjust, find a new main, or play Melee. It sucks, but it's the truth. I picked up Wolf because he's the most stylish spacie available in PM, and it's almost as satisfying to land nasty s*** with him as it is 3.02 Lucas. Try him out.

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
What exactly is wrong with Pikachu?

I'm not really sure of what his tools were or why they removed them.

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
We doing music? Muh main menu music:
I need this. Is it on Brawl Custom Music?
What exactly is wrong with Pikachu?

I'm not really sure of what his tools were or why they removed them.
No, he just can't QAC on the second zip anymore. That alone makes Pika less janky and probably better/more fair fundamentally, but his pizazz is non-existent now.

Or at least that's what I thought until Axe just showed you can still QAC all over the stage anyway,..

Hang on, what was the nerf supposed to do again?

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Woke up to so many pages, but since only a few of the things are worth continuing to talk about at this point, I'll only comment on a few things.

ORAS's lack of trainer customization really bugs me. They take so many steps forward in XY and then ignore the one thing that people had been clamoring for for so long, moving just about everything else that people liked from XY except that. People still say "Stop ********, you can play XY still." Yeah, you can, but when you can't play with ORAS players or actually use the new Megas/movepools, what's the point of playing a previous game if there's no one else to play with, specially with a game that didn't drastically change battling up like the difference of Melee to Brawl? If Nintendo didn't decide to not patch so that people would be forced to buy the new game, maybe people would have kept just playing XY, I'm assuming they refused to patch for a reason though. Also gotta add, I hate the designs for the Ruby/Saph characters (Especially the boy) and their redesigns haven't made me like them more.

So much potential salt about changes to mains. Am I the only one that thinks his main didn't change much at all asides from being less free? Do the Mario, PMDT, you managed to tone down a character and remove the stuff that was BS while making them feel exactly as they should. Good job guys.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I need this. Is it on Brawl Custom Music?

No, he just can't QAC on the second zip anymore. That alone makes Pika less janky and probably better/more fair fundamentally, but his pizazz is non-existent now.

Or at least that's what I thought until Axe just showed you can still QAC all over the stage anyway,..

Hang on, what was the nerf supposed to do again?
you nailed it actually

A LEANER CUT OF COMPETITIVE GAMEPLAY
After analyzing tournament sets, listening to community members, and reviewing the cast in Debug Mode we've gone through each character and trimmed the fat. Recoveries have been pared back, burst mobility options reigned in, and attack safety reweighed -- sometimes dramatically, but often subtly. These character design tweaks are matched by a small slew of mechanical optimizations. The end result is a tighter game that's more fun and more fair for everyone playing.
http://projectmgame.com/en/

tl;dr they wanted the game to be less DBZ. we had enough mewtwo for one year

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Just got 2nd place at the last second in the 3rd race of a GP in MK8.

i remember why i stopped trying to complete all the GPs in MK (in general)

that **** gets under my skin because then I have to restart the WHOLE GP just because I end up with 58 points instead of 60 at the end of the GP because that 2nd place finish got me 13 points instead of 15.

Christ what the **** man.

give me a restart feature for the love of godddd dont have people redo a whole series of races because RNG decided to kick in against my favorite in the last second.

this is the type of **** that makes me hate being in relative first as well.

you get nothing but ****ing nanners and coins the whole ****ing tiiimmeeeeee and if you're in relative first instead of far first, then you get bopped by shells by 360NOSCROPE AIs left and right.

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
"We're working on 'trimming the fat' now in PM."

*DDD, Bowser, DK, and Charizard removed from the game in 4.0*

Last edited:

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
you nailed it actually

http://projectmgame.com/en/

tl;dr they wanted the game to be less DBZ. we had enough mewtwo for one year
Awesome thanks. That still makes sense.

So back to @ MM3K MM3K , Pika still has most of the tools he always had because other than QA stuff mostly nothing else changed. Though he did get a more comfortable wavedash and a release point fix on upthrow, if those count as tools. Pika's problem now is trying to get more people to play him. :p

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
So much potential salt about changes to mains. Am I the only one that thinks his main didn't change much at all asides from being less free? Do the Mario, PMDT, you managed to tone down a character and remove the stuff that was BS while making them feel exactly as they should. Good job guys.
We have an ex-mario player here in az who quit mario because (direct quote): "When they nerf your tried and true main it's really hard to stick with them because they feel so awkward and different. I know this from experience." Like ffs all you really got was 6 extra frames of fireball end lag, nerfed dair and you have to already be on the wall to walljump out of up-b. If fireball nerfs killed your entire playstyle there was something horribly wrong anyway.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Imma just say this, that up b nerf tho. Mario became a lot more susceptible to gimps, on any stage that isn't a pillar. I was a lil sad when I first saw plank bair boss like once, maybe twice, grab edge and when mario went for that up b and he just rubbed up against that edge and then he fell slowly to his death. All plank had to do was refresh dem fRamEZ. Sad. The dair nerf, while very nessesary, does yea. Yea.

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
We have an ex-mario player here in az who quit mario because (direct quote): "When they nerf your tried and true main it's really hard to stick with them because they feel so awkward and different. I know this from experience." Like ffs all you really got was 6 extra frames of fireball end lag, nerfed dair and you have to already be on the wall to walljump out of up-b. If fireball nerfs killed your entire playstyle there was something horribly wrong anyway.
Mechanics are more important you mofos

Oh I forgot to mention, Marth is more slidey during Neutral-B than he was in 3.02. He can get nice slide offs now again close to 1.0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s0Y1_9ZBQ0#t=40

Last edited:
Top Bottom