• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
There's multiple facets to the reduced birth rate in Japan. It's not just about the women, but also the men in general having a decreased interest in relationships and pursuing other interests completely. Often males in Japan are characterized as being herbivore, as a metaphor for their lack of lust for the meat, if you will.
So Japanese men are like sexual vegetarians?

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
That's how the (inevitable) stereotype is, but it's far more nuanced than simply not wanting to do anything sexual, of course.

i.e. it's also too much money lol

Last edited:

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
The philosophical stuff you were going back-and-forth with with Saito.

General summary of that mindset:
"Life is hell, we're all gonna die and you can't fight fate... but why not make each others' lives worthwhile and enjoyable in the meantime? The only thing that matters is letting people know that you care about them, because whatever someone is, has, or can do doesn't mean a thing in the end."
I mean I guess, I view it more as I'm indefinitely biased by my morals so it only makes sense if I live by them, not that I can deny myself of doing so in the first place.

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Sounds about right.
If you gotta hold onto something, hold onto what you believe in, even if it's not reality yet.

tl;dr:

Last edited:

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
That's how the (inevitable) stereotype is, but it's far more nuanced than simply not wanting to do anything sexual, of course.

i.e. it's also too much money lol
It's an environmental/cultural thing that influences it a lot. It doesn't appear to be anywhere near as celebrated like it is here (but my familiarity with Japanese culture in general is pretty low so I can't say for sure).

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
I didn't want to point fingers too quick, but unfortunately, that is a large part of it.
When I say this, I mean no offense; Japan is infamous for that kind of thing.(depending on where in it you are)

Last edited:

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Maybe it has to do with the general misogynistic mindset Japan has.
That makes it all the stranger that the Japanese have less hesitation in developing and marketing media with female lead characters than the Westerners.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Is there an objective wrong?; on a cosmic philosophical scale I'd say no, there's no 'true' right or wrong, only relative judgement and interpretation. Also, there can be situations where there's no reason to do good, and even then what dictates whether there's a 'real' reason?

You give life value, although it holds no true value, nothing really does. Value is only given to it, as if like currency. And who knows, maybe the babies are masochists.

The way I approach this just makes discussion run in circles and really redundant, philosophy can be dumb sometimes.
Let's look at this from that cosmic philosophical scale though. To take things from this perspective, most of the things that happen here are insignificant.

However, using such a giant scale of things, I wouldn't say it would be wrong to use a description that matches just how big the universe is.

That description would be that, "Anything that is unnatural is wrong, and anything that is natural is right."

If this is accurate then we would have to judge using how human nature is to determine whether the killing was natural or unnatural.

If not, then I concede because holy **** this got on a galactic scale in 5 posts.

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
Let's look at this from that cosmic philosophical scale though. To take things from this perspective, most of the things that happen here are insignificant.

However, using such a giant scale of things, I wouldn't say it would be wrong to use a description that matches just how big the universe is.

That description would be that, "Anything that is unnatural is wrong, and anything that is natural is right."

If this is accurate then we would have to judge using how human nature is to determine whether the killing was natural or unnatural.

If not, then I concede because holy **** this got on a galactic scale in 5 posts.
Philosophy meets Gurren Lagann.

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
That makes it all the stranger that the Japanese have less hesitation in developing and marketing media with female lead characters than the Westerners.
...Just goes to show.
Self-contradiction is part of life lol.

Last edited:

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord

Wait, could you define natural for me?

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
The problem with that is that the definition varies by the person lol.
Not saying it can't be done, but it's subjective, is all I'm saying.

Last edited:

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
I bet it felt amazing once it was gone though. Kind of like how you feel after you throw up. Like you're hungover or sick or whatever and it needed to happen
Being Deaf in my right ear for a week was surreal. When my Mom pulled it out with a bobby pin, I was instantly 10x happier than I've ever been. I can't imagine how people who are actually Deaf would react to that. I was ecstatic.

Then I saw how big it was.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Wait, could you define natural for me?
Walking on a thin line with this.

I'd be willing to say that natural is how everything was designed in nature to function.

Likewise, I would be willing to say that unnatural is any deviations from such things.

To go off of those descriptions, death is natural, however the causes can be unnatural.

It's hard though because one could say that the cause of a knife getting stabbed into another's chest is TECHNICALLY natural because the functions of the heart stopping due to this object is indeed natural.

However, the causes of the knife getting there is unnatural due to the design of humans not really being pre destined to kill other humans.

Hell, I'd be willing to say by these definitions and the previous cosmic global scale definition of right and wrong, that the internet is evil because this is some pretty unnatural ****.

FEELS GOOD TO BE EVIL THO.

The problem with that is definition 1 though.

existing in or caused by nature; not made or caused by humankind.
Why is humankind exempt from being able to be natural?

Assume a human builds a house, by that definition the house is unnatural.
However, if a beaver builds itself a house, that very same definition makes it natural.

I don't really agree with that.

I'll do definition 2 in a bit.

I've got to eat and look at my mother's laptop because it won't turn on.

Last edited:

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord

I'd be willing to say that natural is how everything was designed in nature to function.

Likewise, I would be willing to say that unnatural is any deviations from such things.

To go off of those descriptions, death is natural, however the causes can be unnatural.

It's hard though because one could say that the cause of a knife getting stabbed into another's chest is TECHNICALLY natural because the functions of the heart stopping due to this object is indeed natural.

However, the causes of the knife getting there is unnatural due to the design of humans not really being pre destined to kill other humans.

Hell, I'd be willing to say by these definitions and the previous cosmic global scale definition of right and wrong, that the internet is evil because this is some pretty unnatural ****.

FEELS GOOD TO BE EVIL THO.
The only act of true evil is when I shinespike my friend and he just looks down and sighs.

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord

Wait hold up a second, bae. This is important, how can we be certain of how something truly natural is intended to function? We can make inferences through its design, but we can never be 100% sure.

I feel like language is one of the biggest aids and handicaps to human thought and expression, especially in a conversation like this.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Wait hold up a second, bae. This is important, how can we be certain of how something truly natural is intended to function? We can make inferences through its design, but we can never be 100% sure.

I feel like language is one of the biggest aids and handicaps to human thought and expression, especially in a conversation like this.
I'm already at bae level?

damn, I haven't even been bought dinner yet.

But you're absolutely correct, so I can't even make a further argument unless I become the hypothetical creator of the universe or whatever designed everything.

Taking that into consideration, only the creators of something can determine whether or not anything is natural or unnatural, and by extension, whether or not it is good or evil.

Guess we'll have to stick with moral good and evil ;_;

Then again, if I won Apex 2015 with bowser, I'd essentially be at that level...

Last edited:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
im reading the posts about japan's issues in terms of relationships and birth rates

you want to know what doesnt help?

****ING IDOLS.

the interest in women in japan from men took a direct ****ing hit with the explosive popularities of idols.

a common mentality is why the **** would i spend my life with some imperfect 3DPD when i have my beautiful darling *INSERT IDOL HERE* instead?

the fetishization/romantization of a "perfect woman" that is portrayed in the IDOL world is insane, and it doesnt help that IDOLS are real life tropes of animu girls whom further perpetuate the whole idea of a "perfect women for me."

anime/manga/idols all tie into a cycle of which become a part of the hobbies and obsessions of men (and women for opposite sex) and fund an industry that panders to the desires of their fanbase and start the cycle over again.

it's nuts

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
The issue of bowser being good this update also happens to be one of many epistemological issues akin to existentialism. We could write entire essays on this, but it ultimately all boils down to asking yourself "can I kaos shield all the **** Tink is throwing at me". If you answer yes, then bowser is still bad regardless.

Last edited:

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
I'm already at bae level?

damn, I haven't even been bought dinner yet.

But you're absolutely correct, so I can't even make a further argument unless I become the hypothetical creator of the universe or whatever designed everything.

Taking that into consideration, only the creators of something can determine whether or not anything is natural or unnatural, and by extension, whether or not it is good or evil.

Guess we'll have to stick with moral good and evil ;_;
And look at that, a philosophical discussion that actually has an end, and was actually fun! And yeah I guess you can be bae, but practically everyone has the ability of becoming bae.

"But you're absolutely correct, so I can't even make a further argument unless I become the hypothetical creator of the universe or whatever designed everything."

I'm glad you said this, this is where things can get kind of dank. A lot of people assume that the universe has to have had a beginning, something must have caused it. But then consider this:

If an effect must have a cause, then that cause must have a cause, then that cause must have a cause and so on. Well then, we can't have an infinite amount of causes (I would think), which leads us to only two alternatives: either the effect may have caused itself (illogical), or an effect doesn't necessarily need a cause to happen; it could always have been.

So now think of the universe as always existing and apply that to the quoted portion and the last one or two posts of the discussion. Isn't that trippy?

Last edited:

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Pseudo philosophy brings a tear to my eye. I won't specify if it is a tear of joy or not.

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Watch out for Smash Intensifies on the 29th here in Montreal, we're looking at 150+ participants. Running Melee, PM and Sm4sh.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Watch out for Smash Intensifies on the 29th here in Montreal, we're looking at 150+ participants. Running Melee, PM and Sm4sh.
Holy ****, we do I never know about stuff like this
and why does all the fun stuff happen right before my finals

Last edited:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
The issue of bowser being good this update also happens to be one of many epistemological issues akin to existentialism. We could write entire essays on this, but it ultimately all boils down to asking yourself "can I kaos shield all the **** Tink is throwing at me". If you answer yes, then bowser is still bad regardless.
you mentioned the word epistemological.

i am mandated to say

that epistemological anarchism is amazing

Whoa. I left for like 6 pages and now it's all philosophical in here. Wat.

>tfw a population is dwindling because the fictional QTs are too effective
yeah japan is more weeaboo than westerns could ever hope to achieve

like seriously

japan is more weeaboo than us.

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Holy ****, we do I never know about stuff like this
and why does all the fun stuff happen right before my finals
Study now when you have the time, free your saturday because you can't miss this.
Also you don't know because you're not on facebook, dweeb.

Top Bottom