• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Didn't get time to watch dyfwi, too busy with 3.5.

And lol m2k. Tbh it just feels like he's lost all his motivation as of late, whether in melee, PM or Smash 4. Hopefully he manages to get back to it soon, along with pp. I'm hoping for m2k ppmd rematch grand finals at Apex.

Last edited:

VinceX

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0361-7328-0581
Any of you guys have any suggestions as to where I should put this music? I need it in my life game but I have a hard time deciding where :V

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
I was hoping my little buddy Olimar would get some "design" buffs this time around. I don't know if it's just me, but does Olimar seem oddly... boring for someone with his kind of gimmick?

Personally, I think that 3.5 tastes a little too vanilla-ish. Don't get me wrong, I like the direction 3.5 is generally taking for balance, but a few characters feel like they should be spicier. Seriously, is it just me?
So are you basically feeling like 3.5 is lacking aesthetically compared to previous installations?

DBZ Battle of the gods English if anyone hasn't seen it yet like myself.
Why is youtube allowing this? I saw a snippit of goku and badguy's VA and it was cool.

Last edited:

Kati

Smash Lord
whoa anyone else having trouble with character aesthetic mods? My melee foxes from 3.02 freeze the game upon selecting a stage o_O

All other characters work so far.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Right now im enjoying it and yeah it's lighthearted and more joking but thats it. It's not Bio Broly bad so far.

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
Any of you guys have any suggestions as to where I should put this music? I need it in my life game but I have a hard time deciding where :V
To me the guitar makes it sound good for Port Aero Drive. I kind of gave my stages genres though so that might be my own bias.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
At the rate DBZ is going Goku's going to have to fight the very fabric of the universe because they're kind of running into size problems

I mean he's already beat up like 3 different levels of deities

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
dragon ball is kind of generally terrible, and I say this as a person who loves dragon ball
Yeah, it's kind of bad, but BotG is bad even for Dragon ball.
It's Star Wars christmas special bad.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Just caught up on the falcomaster story. Looooool didn't think something like this would happen. Too bad he won with marth

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I liked Battle of Gods because it was all -

"Hey, we're back, and you know, lets just enjoy that."

I love Dragon Ball (kid goku) over Z bc of the stakes aren't super high yet there are still stakes. And there aren't bat**** crazy enemies and its lighthearted and got me through rough times in high school. That's probably why I liked the English dub so much. But they are going into size problems, they screwed themselves over with making each villain so astronomical bc now they need to present these Gods from outer universes so the canon still makes sense.

Last edited:

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
At the rate DBZ is going Goku's going to have to fight the very fabric of the universe because they're kind of running into size problems

Yeah fortunately your feelings are shared not just by a huge portion of DBZ fans and former fans but even Toriyama himself. Even after drawing the Freeza saga when Jump asked him to keep going he literally asked, "How could the characters possibly get any stronger?"

I've always wanted an alternate-dimension retelling of the Dragon Ball story that makes the power pacing fractionally slower and also balances out the power and meaning between the saiyans and the other humans / nameks.

For example: Maybe the pivotal Vegeta-Goku fight where he threatens to destroy earth could be dumbed down to him threatening to blow up a large portion of Goku's city of residency before an evacuation was in full effect. You know, **** that matters but just gives way more room for characters to grow in strength and prolongs the story before it finally starts to get truly hyperbolic and they're throwing galaxy-burning orbs the size of tennis balls at each other without breaking a sweat. Ugh.

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
The idea that villains get progressively stronger is inherently flawed and is one of the biggest problems in the shounen manga industry. Stop making your characters battle bad guys like it's the freaking crusades and have them face real problems that can't be solved by going into the hyperbolic time chamber for two chapters then punching it harder.

It's ****ty, lazy story writing but it works because it plays on people's fantasies.

Last edited:

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
An analogy to this forum: By Relax Alax -

Warchamp = Mario
Warsaint = Luigi
MechWarrior = Dr. Mario

Super Smash Bros. PM Social Thread

Goodnight ya'll.

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
An analogy to this forum: By Relax Alax -

Warchamp = Mario
Warsaint = Luigi
MechWarrior = Dr. Mario

Super Smash Bros. PM Social Thread

Goodnight ya'll.
I don't get it

Aside from the fact they all have war in their name

Last edited:

Kati

Smash Lord
Green, yellow, and red have been the norm for tournament builds when designating legal status' of stages, but none of those colours really fit the PM vibes.

What would be the best colour for starters? what about counterpicks?

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Green, yellow, and red have been the norm for tournament builds when designating legal status' of stages, but none of those colours really fit the PM vibes.

What would be the best colour for starters? what about counterpicks?
Just make separate sections labeled "Starters" and "Counterpick" which eliminates the need for colors and is more accomodating for colorblind players.

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
The idea that villains get progressively stronger is inherently flawed and is one of the biggest problems in the shounen manga industry. Stop making your characters battle bad guys like it's the freaking crusades and have them face real problems that can't be solved by going into the hyperbolic time chamber for two chapters then punching it harder.

It's ****ty, lazy story writing but it works because it plays on people's fantasies.
Sorry but I enjoy that simple formula. Always have. And I enjoy the challenge of trying to justify and substantiate it with good writing. I won't give up my primally instinctive love of wanting to fight things and grow stronger.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761

Just have the official Goku vs Superman fight and have Goku get whooped like everyone knows he would.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
So I really love 3.5, but I get what people are saying about it begin aesthetically blander. The characters have less jank, and the new huds and stages and sounds are gorgeous, It just feels more controlled. Which is a good and a bad thing.

Before PM got me excited because it felt like a new game to explore new tech and settups with, particularly labbing it up with diddy and wolf. But Diddy got gutted and his tech is already solved, and Wolf is pretty much descovered and just needs to be optimized. The characters feel tamer.

For me its changing from a game to learn to a game to master and optimize, like whats left besides adapting to nerfs is just solving the game and the matchups. Its a different experience, and feels closer to the reasons I love melee than the reasons I loved PM before.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light

I thought HunterxHunter did a good job refining that kind of bland storytelling into something a little more palatable. It had a lot of neat twists like decent character development (seriously, I was genuinely surprised), conflicts solved by something other than fists and feet (at least Gon's empathy bull**** made sense at times; looking at you Naruto "OBITO IS A COOL GUY!" Uzumaki), and a neat little mechanism to justify the wiggy supernatural **** and powerups in the aura-based Nen.

I wish more shounens were like this one, tbh. Despite its faults (which are especially glaring during the Chimera Ant arc and the grrrrr HIATUS), it's a pretty good measure of what can be done right in the subgenre.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Thats basically it.
Then you're accurate with the one for me(doctor)
I hate conflict, and will see it cease to be in my lifetime, but that's far-off, so playing medic sounds about right, yes.

Last edited:

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
So I really love 3.5, but I get what people are saying about it begin aesthetically blander. The characters have less jank, and the new huds and stages and sounds are gorgeous, It just feels more controlled. Which is a good and a bad thing.

Before PM got me excited because it felt like a new game to explore new tech and settups with, particularly labbing it up with diddy and wolf. But Diddy got gutted and his tech is already solved, and Wolf is pretty much descovered and just needs to be optimized. The characters feel tamer.

For me its changing from a game to learn to a game to master and optimize, like whats left besides adapting to nerfs is just solving the game and the matchups. Its a different experience, and feels closer to the reasons I love melee than the reasons I loved PM before.
Also we don't have a new character. I'm not complaining at all, but that is a major factor in the whole "wow" department considering what all the other major updates had to offer.

The graphic design part of the aesthetics this time is beautiful though.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Does anyone remember when the Xbone was first being advertised at e3 and they talked about some addon box you could buy that let you play 360 games on it? Or am I halucinating something

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
I thought HunterxHunter did a good job refining that kind of bland storytelling into something a little more palatable. It had a lot of neat twists like decent character development (seriously, I was genuinely surprised), conflicts solved by something other than fists and feet (at least Gon's empathy bull**** made sense at times; looking at you Naruto "OBITO IS A COOL GUY!" Uzumaki), and a neat little mechanism to justify the wiggy supernatural **** and powerups in the aura-based Nen.

I wish more shounens were like this one, tbh. Despite its faults (especially during the Chimera Ant arc and the grrrrr HIATUS), it's a pretty good measure.

Smooth Criminal
It's crazy how much I hear about HxH. I can't stand the art in the manga I think it's actually bad. But it sounds like literally everything else about it is great. I also have to get over how young they are-- I am biased towards shounens of older teens and 20s protags.

What is the "empathy" thing the protag has you mentioned? I mean I know the meaning of the word.

Top Bottom