• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Online Matchmaking Thread (Wii)

PcTriumph

Smash Apprentice
ONE last thing- watch this video by one of the greatest melee teams of all time and try to notice the sort of things I was talkin about. These guys were mediocre singles players, but had amazing team work and became one of the greatest teams of their time because of it- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7mQQOOqtX8
"Mediocre singles players..." they would kick our butts! Lol. Awesome video though.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Yeah seriously Husband and Wife were like two of the best players in the world back in the day, the only reason they aren't good anymore is because they've been out of the meta for so long.

pwnyclaus

Smash Ace
NNID
JackSand54
there's a lot to playing doubles, im not sure if im really the best to talk about "doubles theory" but theres a few things i've noticed which are pretty beginner strats.

2v1: when 2v1, there's a few things to keep in mind. First off, stage positioning. One person should try n get on one side of their opponent, while the other person goes to the other side (if you watch the wombo combo, you will notice they immediately try to get on either side of their opponent to start the combo). Now you have your opponent surrounded and they have to throw out hitboxes and control space on two sides at once. Also, both persons can attack the opponent, while normally only one person can attack at a time in a 2v1. So lets say im peach, I can approach high to cover the air, and than u approach low. My objective in the air is really only "let me try n get on the other side of my opponent while my opponent pressures." Or, another start could be that you egg roll past him, and now we are on both sides of him. Once on both sides, you almost want to create a bunch of hitboxes which keep your opponent in place. So if he tries to behind one of us, both of us will be ready and covering this option, but we are also looking to pressure him into making a mistake. This usually leads to a grab. If you grab him and you and your opponent are on either side, one person usually jabs him while the opponent does a strong finisher, or you can do a bunch of small hits that will keep him in the opponents grab combo (like a wobble). If you grab him and I'm in back of you, you want to throw him towards me and I will be ready to combo him back at you, because I cannot make it over in time to get a big hit off before he shakes out of ur grab.

This is, of course, assuming that we are both at low percent. If one person is at higher percent, you want to have the weaker person in back of the person at lower percent. This way if he throws out a laggy move, the back person can punish if the front person gets hit, but at the same time, the back person is at little risk because the front is acting as a wall. Once the opponent is off, generally one person is designated the ledge hogger (usually peach) while the other person just winds up a strong attack. So I can go out there and pressure him off stage, but my job is simply "take the ledge and roll as soon as he tries to recover" The roll is really important, because whatever big move u do will now miss me and hit our opponent. Lastly- combos. If I can, im going to hit the opponent at you for you to hit him back at me. You should be expecting this. HOWEVER- if im juggling him upward, don't come in and try to help me combo. This will only end up hurting your teammate.

Lastly, if you are the 1 in a 2v1, you want to get towards the edge of the stage, because it becomes difficult now for the opponents to get on either side of you. If your back is towards the stage, they are now forced to take turns 1v1'ing you. Still, you are at a big disadvantage because you cannot use grabs or laggy moves unless you are ok with getting punished by their opponent (risk vs reward)

2v2: Again, stage position is key. Ideally, you want to have center stage while your opponents are on the outsides of the stage. This allows you to help your teammate if he gets in trouble. If he is getting grabbed/combo'd and u want to break it up, often times a quick move (leg dash attack or egg roll) will be good to hit both characters and sorta reset both your teammate and his opponent. If you have a player off the edge, and I am fighting his teammate, my job is now to let you edgegaurd safely by keeping my opponent from disrupting your edgeguarding. On the other hand, if I need help you want to try and knock them away from the ledge so I can recover safely. Stalling tactics can be used by the opponent that is off stage to give the teammate time to help out. Also, never assume you're dead, always try to recover. You never know when your teammate may get there in time to save you, and as a teammate, you should try to always help your teammate if it doesnt put u at great risk. (an egg throw would probably be yoshi's best option). One good way to help your teammate safely recover is by grabbing the edge and stalling. Grab edge and keep the opponent from getting it from you (remember, they want it to ledge hog you) and than just use stalling tactics (egg throws, or down B's work well for yoshi) Then, as I'm about to get on, you get off the ledge right in time for me to recover safely.

Also, there's a few strats that incorporate character strengths. One character may be a tank, while the other is the aggressor. The aggressor's job is to finish the weaker opponent and get kills, while the other teammate's job is to tank lives for the aggressor while helping him any way you can. (I quickly noticed you were generally the aggressive one, so I switched roles to be the tank, which seemed to generally work out well.) If you notice that one player on the other team is becoming very passive and not really approaching (tank) you often times want to try and ignore the tank and just double up against the 1 player. This means u get on either side of the opponent, and gang up on him, while one person just keeps the tank (usually a slow floaty character) from helping. Hit the tank away, let him slowly perform his endless recovery, and treat it as if it were a momentary 2v1 situation. Then when the tank runs in to try and help out, he gets hit hard and has to recover for a while again.

Finally, there's communication. How we will communicate is beyond me, but it's a must. I will say things like "this link is kickin my ***, i need you to switch with me, i can't get in on him at all he's just throwin projectiles and keeping me at bay." OR "let me fight the falcon, I feel more comfortable in that matchup" Again, this is easiest if you are both have center stage control. You might also say something as simple as "help" or "lets gang up on the fox and leave the jiggs"- this tells me "ok, im going into 2v1 mode"

Also, some generaly rules to avoid team attack. Don't use projectiles that may hit your teammate by accident. It may leave the opponent with enough hit stun to cream your teammate. Don't throw out big moves towards your teammate, to try and punish their opponent because thats how u end up killing your teammate. try and stick to light moves if you are interrupting a fight between to players, and then let your opponent capitalize off their opponents hitstun. This easily leads to grabs because the opponent gets nervous and goes into shield because the feel pressured.

OH one more mind game. Sometimes, I will run away from my opponent as if I'm going to attack their teammate, or help out my own teammate. This will generally bring my opponent's defense down and have him running in towards me. Then I turn around and quickly hit him....mindgame foo!

ONE last thing- watch this video by one of the greatest melee teams of all time and try to notice the sort of things I was talkin about. These guys were mediocre singles players, but had amazing team work and became one of the greatest teams of their time because of it- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7mQQOOqtX8
Dude, I never considered that thinking about smash could be better practice than playing smash. Thank you so much

Top Bottom