• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M: Metal Sonic (v3.0 LAST?)

BALANCED? WHUUUAAAT?

• Top Tier

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Mid Tier

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Low Tier

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
So if I want to add a character like metal sonic to my build, do I need to replace an existing character? Or is there a way to add a new character select icon without replacing anybody?

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
So if I want to add a character like metal sonic to my build, do I need to replace an existing character? Or is there a way to add a new character select icon without replacing anybody?
its called pmex which is a combination of brawl ex and pm which allows you to add more charaters

Protocol.Tin

Smash Cadet
You can, yes. You can look up Solaris's thread or view ALM5252's wonderful tutorial. If you need anything specifically, I would be more than happy to clear it up for you

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
You can, yes. You can look up Solaris's thread or view ALM5252's wonderful tutorial. If you need anything specifically, I would be more than happy to clear it up for you
Thanks for info, man. I'm a little swamped with IRL work at the moment but I'll look into these tutorials and pmex as soon as I can. Metal Sonic looks HYPE and I can't wait to try him!

Also, I just noticed that my Chemical Plant Zone stage is in the demo video. =D I feel so famous!

Protocol.Tin

Smash Cadet
Thanks for info, man. I'm a little swamped with IRL work at the moment but I'll look into these tutorials and pmex as soon as I can. Metal Sonic looks HYPE and I can't wait to try him!
I know the struggle, mate. Took me months of trial and error and maybe 7 corruptions from BrawlBox before managing to get it done right. I feel no one should have to go through this effort for a good Smash build, but what can you do?

And yes, Metal is as hype as you believe.

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
Ok so, I'm stumped. The only download for PM+BrawlEx I could find includes Ridley, but without his sounds. I do not want Ridley, especially without his sounds. So I need to either get rid of him (no idea how to do that), or find a download for Pm+brawlex that does not include him (searched, can't find). And then I can try to figure out how to add metal sonic.

...or if someone has a link to a download that has consists of ExPM with no additional content besides metal sonic, that would be fine too.

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
PegasusKnt PegasusKnt , edit the CSSRoster.dat in your build to remove ridley from the CSS. Alternatively, if you don't want to try doing it yourself, here's one without ridley.

https://mega.nz/#!ztJ3SKRC!FmYaiUEnZnWZ-RTvW92UDRoEZXtYaPRCAn1IRFkTrFc
Thanks for the tip! I figured out how to use the brawl config utility to add and remove CSS icons, but now I've run into a problem with getting metal sonic up and running. I followed this tutorial to add all his cosmetic stuff, but when I load the game and select metal sonic, he uses waluigi stock icons (Even though I added Metal Sonic's stock icons and named them correctly). Also the game crashes immediately when a match starts with Metal Sonic.

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
Okay, so I got Metal Sonic to be playable in my build, and fixed the stock icon problem. (I think I will make a post explaining how later, because it was a pretty complicated procedure and I could not find a guide which spelled it out very clearly.)

The only thing that I still can't figure out is the announcer call. To make that work, do I need to create a new sawnd file with a program like Super Sawnds? Or am I missing something more obvious?

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
Lone Devil Lone Devil Hey man, I just wanted to say thanks for all your hard work on this character. I've got him 100% working now and he's a thing of beauty. Can't wait to try future updates! I think you should include an install tutorial in your OP, because it took an uninitiated smasher like myself over a week to figure out how to get him working. To save you the trouble, I have written up a simple guide myself, and created a download package including all of the extra files and programs one needs. Please feel free to use this:

The following guide will briefly explain every step necessary to add Metal Sonic to BrawlExPM, complete with all his cosmetics and announcer call. This is a complex procedure and will take time, so follow the directions carefully and patiently if you’re not familiar with brawl modding. Watch the other guides and tutorials mentioned in this document if you get stuck.

TO COMPLETE THIS GUIDE YOU WILL NEED THE FOLLOWING FILES AND PROGRAMS:

-BrawlExPm (we will use this version for this guide: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=210715)
-Lone Wolf’s Metal Sonic download (we will be using the 2.1 BrawlExPM version in this guide: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=211133)
-Brawlbox (latest version (.77 I believe) preferably: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=212010)
-A bunch of other stuff, included in the following download package (see below)

Download the other stuff:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iwhow52x8klppwy/All Additional Files and Programs Needed for Metal Sonic.rar?dl=0

Things in the download package:
-Brawl Utility Config v1.3
-SuperSawnds (full version with WAV compatibility)
-the PM 3.6 brsar file (this is NOT the same as the original brawl brsar)
-a CSSConfig file which has Metal Sonic placed in the last slot before random. (optional if you know what you’re doing)

SOMETHING TO KEEP IN MIND:

In this version, Metal Sonic’s Character ID # is 49. His Cosmetic ID # is 110

Step 1: Adding Metal Sonic’s files to the game

Open the MS download package. Select all folders except CSP&etc and Unused Leftovers, copy and paste onto your SD card under projectm\pf

Go into projectm\pf\Fighter\MetalSonic ,find FitMetalSonic00.pac and .pcs. Copy both of those files and paste them twice (creating 4 additional files). Name the first pair FitMetalSonicFake and the second FitMetalSonicDark

Step 2: Adding an Icon on the Character Select Screen

Go to projectm\pf\BrawlEx . If Metal Sonic is the only additional character in your build, replace the CSSRoster.dat file with the one from the download package. Otherwise, see below.

Open your CSSRoster.dat in BrawlEx Config Utility. You will see a list of ID numbers, each of which represents a slot on the CSS. In both lists (there is a second one for random) add a new entry (tick the arrow in the upper left) and type 49. Where this ID number is in the “Icons” list will determine where Metal Sonic’s Icon appears on the CSS.

Note: the version of BrawlExPm linked to above includes a demo version of Ridley without his sounds. For my own build (and for the .dat file in the DL package), I have chosen to remove Ridley form the CSS, but this is not necessary.

Step 3: The extremely difficult, painstaking, and tedious process of cosmetics.
This is the hardest and longest step, but Lone Devil has made it easier for us by including all the files we need in his download package. Follow along with this video tutorial until about 14:00. Then come back to this text if you want stock icons. This guy does not cover stock icons, and they are significantly more complicated than he says they are. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDQ3DKN3AXw

About stock icons:
Stock icons are stored in multiple places. Go here http://smashboards.com/threads/guid...-m-3-6-csps-bsps-rsps-and-stock-icons.407758/ and scroll down to the four parts about stock icons. I did all four parts in my build, but you can probably just do part 2 (and the next step I’m about to share) if all you care about is vs mode. IN ADDITION, you also need to edit InfStockface_TopN_0 (found under data 30 in info.pac). Change the frame count to 1291, then add entries (under texture0) for all 10 stock icons. Be sure you set the frame index, texture, and Palette for each entry, like so:

I do not know why the guide I linked left this last step out, as it appears to be crucial.

Step 4: Adding Metal Sonic’s announcer call.

This step is (mercifully) fairly easy. We just need to create a new 220.sawnd which contains the AC for Metal Sonic. It is highly recommended that you make a backup for the brsar file before beginning, as any changes made to it are saved automatically.

a. Run Super Sawnds, open the brsar file contained in the download package.
b. browse for the wav file containing the AC (“Announcer call (better).wav” under sfx) then click insert
c. Type 220 for Group ID, 463 for Collection ID, and 13 for WAV ID, then hit Create Sawnd
d. Name the new file 220.Sawnd, then place it in projectm\pf\sfx (replace the old one)

You are (almost) done! One final note!

In Lone Wolf’s 2.1 build, I believe he has made a mistake with the alternate colors. Selecting the red color gets you the yellow metal sonic, and vice versa. To correct this mistake, do the following:

In projectm\pf\Fighter\MetalSonic , swap the FitMetalSonic01.pac and .psc files with the 04 files. (rename each of them to the other’s name).
In projectm\pf\info\portrite , swap InfFace1102 with InfFace1103 (rename- same procedure)

CONGRATULATIONS! You now have a 100% fully functional metal sonic in your build!

Also, I believe you made a small mistake with the order of Metal Sonic's alternate colors. (see the last section of my guide)
Thanks again!

Last edited:

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
04 comes before 01 (red) because Metal Sonic 3.0 is official. (from Sonic Rivals 2) so the order made sense.
The order you put the colors in isn't the problem- that's your prerogative of course. The problem is that for all Metal Sonic's cosmetics, you've got red labeled as 02 and yellow as 03. So there is a mismatch between the numbers on his cosmetics and the numbers you've given his pac and brres files. If the files are all added as is, when someone selects red on the CSS, they will start the match as yellow with a yellow battle portrait -with red stock icons.

NNID
Megamanxtreme247
3DS FC
0233-0693-2297
Switch FC
1389-8562-4404
Definitely going to be a part of my custom build once I manage to learn to get PM+BEX Ridley working (and when I learn how to combine that with the stage expansion).
Mewtwo doesn't necessarily count as a villian, more like a misunderstood rival once bad because he was confused about human and pokemon relationships cause he was betrayed and abused by team rocket but turned good after learning that pokemon and humans can coexist in society. In other words, he's sorta like picolo & vegeta from the DBZ universe, a bad guy turned good guy fighting for a good cause.

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
Mewtwo doesn't necessarily count as a villian, more like a misunderstood rival once bad because he was confused about human and pokemon relationships cause he was betrayed and abused by team rocket but turned good after learning that pokemon and humans can coexist in society. In other words, he's sorta like picolo & vegeta from the DBZ universe, a bad guy turned good guy fighting for a good cause.
I'm aware, but I'm sure that if he appeared in a Smash Bros story mode then he would be one of the bad guys (at least for a while). Also my post had nothing to do with Mewtwo.

NNID
Megamanxtreme247
3DS FC
0233-0693-2297
Switch FC
1389-8562-4404
I'm aware, but I'm sure that if he appeared in a Smash Bros story mode then he would be one of the bad guys (at least for a while). Also my post had nothing to do with Mewtwo.
Sorry. Just couldn't help but noticed the "Smash needs more villians" slogan. Also, this mecha sonic mod looks legit.
Really looking forward to playing with him in legacy XP when it releases.

Last edited:

nickultra

Smash Cadet
Love your metal sonic. The only thing I'm not thrilled about is the down special animation. Does anyone agree with me on that?

Mariokirby23

Smash Rookie
The new Version of Metal Sonic is good but if you're gonna do a fix for him, you should maybe put some "input lag" (by that i mean set a number of frames where you can't do attacks after the end of the animation) after air neutral b because you can just keep spamming b while in the air & don't even fall.

Last edited:

Lone Devil

Smash Cadet
Already has enough input lag and endlag to make it punishable, apparently I've tried putting some gravity in NairSpecial but never works.(one of the reasons I had added rolling in the previous versions).

Top Bottom