• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Announcement Project M Development Has Come to an End

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeddyBearYoshi

Banned via Warnings
User was warned for this post
Hey I'm not the only with a link; I was basically asking for one from the person I quoted myself.

Will work an extra hour for links!
You can find them on Reddit, I can't say more than that though.

Note you need to download the codes AND the projectm folder if you want to play the game.
Also, I know it works on Homebrew and Dolphin, but I don't know about Hackless.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Speaking of chars.
Were KNuckles vs Lynn real dev characters?
Edit: Really? A spam warning for answering a question? Granted, it's not a totally OK topic for discussion even though the beans have been spilled, but there were no links, or anything of the sort.

Fine, fine.

Last edited:

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
Dear Project M Dev Team,

I have seen this morning —I'm European— Project M is already dead. But so does a part of me. I have been a Smash Bros. fan since I played SSB64 in a Spanish expo here in Madrid in 1999. I bought it immediately and I played hours and hours and hours with my brothers, with my neighbours, with my friends... Then Melee, oh God, Melee... It was such an incredible experience. Fast, tasty, cool, fresh... I loved it. My entire adolescence is tied to this extremely good game. And then Brawl. I enjoyed it so much, despite it was kind of annoying for me because it was floaty, slow —and because of random tripping. Another part of my adolescence was tied to that game.

Some years later, I saw a post about Project M, a cool mod that created what I really wanted: Melee mechanics, Brawl improvements. Both of them. Together. Then I started to be excited again about the series. I played as Samus and it was awesome how many improvements she had, the fire/ice modes, her crawling abilities... Captain Falcon and Ganondorf were special, it was a pleasure to play as them and chain comboes that ended in Falcon Knee or in Ganon's Dair. I still remember all those orgasms I used to shout when I connected Roy's Dair as a meteor and I killed my rival. And I cryed when I saw Ness was that GOOD! I loved how many pro players used your new skills and mechanics. I really enjoyed watching M2K's Mewtwo, Ally's Ike or Hungrybox' Mario. I actually loved Project M.

With your game I spent thousands of hours, I played with friends until sunrise, I had to improve skills, I started to practice, I learnt to read a combat and I spent the whole day reading long mathematical formulas about speed, ID, damage and all of that staff. I just wanted to be part of your game. It has been an incredible experience for me as a player.

Now I'm not interested in Smash. It's true. I spent lots of money in both SSB4 versions and... it's not as good as Project M used to be for me. And now I see there are lots of DLC I won't pay. I was only interested in Project M, it was my one and only hope in this series, but it's over.

I won't lie you. I knew this would happen... eventually. I didn't think it was this near, but I would lie if I tell you I never expected this. I don't want to ask you to continue with Project M. I just want to ask you two things: 1) please, keep in mind there are a lot of people that really had love your work, and 2) if this new project you talk about is a new video game based on your Project M experience, please never forget your fans and don't try to divide us into those who payed a damn new character and those who did not.

I just wanted to say thank you for all those feelings I cannot describe with words and also say 'see you next time', not 'good bye'. Hasta la vista, Project M.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hi guys,

I just got into PM this year when I first started college. However, when I saw that this was announced, I was super SAD, because I enjoy this mod much more than the main Smash games, except for Smash 4, which I still prefer over PM. I wanted to download it, but I was too late. I don't know what to do! I just want to download the game on my Wii, because the official PM site is completely shut down. Can someone share me some websites to where I can download PM 3.6 by Homebrew method? Need help...

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
RIP in pepperonis

but hey how about that wavedash **** m i rite??

Fortress

Smash Master
Project M is 'dead'? The tournaments over in WA could've fooled me.

Not in development =/= 'dead'. If you want to play it, play it, and it'll stick around. I don't get how that's hard.

Paquito

Smash Journeyman
Not in development =/= 'dead'.
MELEE ISN'T DEAD????? I THOUGHT ALL THOSE WEEKLIES WERE HAUNTED FOR YEARS

More optimistic speculation: Even if the new characters (Knuckles, etc) were almost complete, introducing them to the roster would effectively amount to a commitment of one or two more years of development, due to bugs and balance changes that could be necessary as the meta adapted to the new characters.

What if they decided to effectively port this effort into this new standalone project they mention in the final blog post?

Last edited by a moderator:

XalchemistX

Smash Ace
NNID
Alchemistx
Thanks for all the hard work PM Dev team. Can't wait for your new project to be announced! Hopefully Project M Smash 4 :yeahboi:

Celestis

Smash Ace
I feel like there is something more to this. I mean moving on is one thing, but the site does not even host it anymore. Why would you remove the file so suddenly? You don't have to be developing anymore to support the work already done. I am confused..

MAT

Smash Rookie
Okay, I was seriously about to download this the other day. Is there anyway I could still get it? Does anyone know of a link or anywhere I could download it from?

PurplishBacon

Smash Cadet
I feel like there is something more to this. I mean moving on is one thing, but the site does not even host it anymore. Why would you remove the file so suddenly? You don't have to be developing anymore to support the work already done. I am confused..
that is a tad bit confusing I will admit. unless having it available would somehow hinder the legalness of this new thing they said they're moving on to.

Okay, I was seriously about to download this the other day. Is there anyway I could still get it? Does anyone know of a link or anywhere I could download it from?
I found some on Reddit not linking for safety reasons but it shouldn't be that hard also i think modulous is planning to eventually host downloads

EDIT: see the post stickied below this one it has links

Last edited:

Celestis

Smash Ace
that is a tad bit confusing I will admit. unless having it available would somehow hinder the legalness of this new thing they said they're moving on to.
And what about the the extra alt costumes? And just last moth they were looking for applications to expand their staff.
The Headband Puff, the snake walking in his box, all the costumes. It all showed constant production, and then this sudden stop? I feel there is a 3rd party at work, here. Especially with the site shutting down like that, not even a download available.
The game is so not even finished yet.

Especially with it ending immediately like that. No warning, no final version. At least Brawl + got a gold version.
With all the professionalism the boast about and that we have come to expect from them, this is the most unprofessional thing they have done. =/

Last edited:

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Calling this unprofessional when they never had much of a choice is really disrespectful and makes you come off as entitled.

Scurry059

Smash Cadet
well it's the end of the road for PM. thanks for letting us playing your content, and i won't forget the memories i had with friends

zpxociv

Smash Apprentice
Except development hasn't ceased. Subreddits right over there, stop denying the very existence of things, people. Do you also cover your eyes and say "Can't hear you, La-la-la!"

Twistedgear

Smash Cadet
So I bought a new copy of smash and a 2gb sd card for the express purpose of playing a mod that ceased distrubution the very next day. that settles it, fate has made me it's chew toy.

Anime

Smash Journeyman
Except development hasn't ceased. Subreddits right over there, stop denying the very existence of things, people. Do you also cover your eyes and say "Can't hear you, La-la-la!"
Kinda like denying pmdt is done?

zpxociv

Smash Apprentice
Kinda like denying pmdt is done?
I don't care who's updating it to a certain extent and I think the current new PMDT is doing a fine job, one that's actually timely and efficient, something the original PMDT was never good at. Old 'N Busted<<<<<<New Hotness

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
This thread is very chaotic. Alotta people feel entitled, and people are mad at people for feeling entitled. Some are supporting the dev team, and people are mad at them for supporting them leaving. In the sense of wanting to avoid toxicity, it'd be a good idea to remove this thread. Even now, someone will read this and not try to think of why I say it, but probably think "This dudes a 'blankity-blank" or whatever. There are too many mixed feelings being compiled on this thread, and im more than certain a chains gonna get triggered, and then someones gonna say something that'll probably get em banned. Best way I'd think this topic could be covered would've been two threads, so that way the people who were angry could post there, and the people who were supporting the cease of development could post on another. People are only gonna keep clashin here. Some will put up facts, others will challenge with opinions, and somehow, everyone will be wrong.

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
So I bought a new copy of smash and a 2gb sd card for the express purpose of playing a mod that ceased distrubution the very next day. that settles it, fate has made me it's chew toy.
Well, it's still a fully functional game. It's not taht different than any other smash games which aren't being patched, honestly. Melee?

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
This is sad news, but there there is a silver lining: since the game is now "complete", players can practice now without any fear that their characters or combos will be changed. The fact that there won't be any more balance patches doesn't make the game dead (as others have pointed out, think of melee. Then think about how many characters were competitively unplayable in that game compared to PM 3.6).

I for one will continue to enjoy playing Project M for years to come. It is in my opinion the most well-balanced, competitive smash on the market. Plus, you can add your own freaking characters, stages, music, skins and whatever else you want to the game as custom content. How cool is that? An amazing game that doubles as an artist's canvas? This game is masterpiece, even if it had to stop at 3.6.

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
I just want to say, thanks devs for your hard work and sacrifices! You should be proud to have made a game as solid as 3.6. I mean sure, it's a letdown. But I definitely agree with PegasusKnt; it's going to be more approachable now that it's a final release. I'll be sure to get it to my friends now that they won't have to worry about updates!

Twistedgear

Smash Cadet
Well, it's still a fully functional game. It's not taht different than any other smash games which aren't being patched, honestly. Melee?
The problem was finding the download. Not that it wasn't finished. I only wanted it to give replay value to Subspace emmisary anyways. I have it now though.

Though the new smash anouncement has got me wondering, did this happen because sakurai called up the Project M crew to offer some sort of deal? Like, he saw something in project M that he'd like to add into Smash 4 and asked them to keep quiet about it in return? Bit of a crazy idea and probably not at all what happened but still...

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
The problem was finding the download. Not that it wasn't finished. I only wanted it to give replay value to Subspace emmisary anyways. I have it now though.

Though the new smash anouncement has got me wondering, did this happen because sakurai called up the Project M crew to offer some sort of deal? Like, he saw something in project M that he'd like to add into Smash 4 and asked them to keep quiet about it in return? Bit of a crazy idea and probably not at all what happened but still...
That hopeful optimism makes too much sense to occur with a company like Nintendo. But I wouldn't dispel any rumors until all official statements have been made by each side. It'd be amazing if Nintendo took criticism and opinions from members of a dev team and fan base. But...idk. We'll wait and see friend.

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
Nintendo has the reputation of old men who knows nothing about internet fan creationism, so, I have all the pesimism in the world when it comes to them.

Until they stop being a jerk about YouTube, yeah, I exspect nothing good.

Twistedgear

Smash Cadet
Nintendo has the reputation of old men who knows nothing about internet fan creationism, so, I have all the pesimism in the world when it comes to them.

Until they stop being a jerk about YouTube, yeah, I exspect nothing good.
I should probably point out that sakurai tends to live up to a different reputation...And I wouldn't be surprised if he did something with the fanbase all on his own. But I still doubt that anythng of the sort is happening, I just want to be the one to have called it if it has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom