• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Announcement Project M Development Has Come to an End

Status
Not open for further replies.

Project M

Shared Account
Hello friends,

Six years ago, we started a journey born out of our shared love for competitive fighting games. Eventually, the electrifying passion that coursed through us arced out and drew in more people until our small circle of friends grew into a team, and that team grew into an international community. Project M and its community have grown larger than any of us ever anticipated, and it’s truly heartwarming to see all of the unforgettable connections and friendships that have been forged through this project.

Unfortunately, we’re here to say that we’re at the end of that road.

We’ve learned so much in the process of making Project M—accumulating life-changing lessons in communication, team work, professionalism, work ethic, and more—but there’s only so far we can take those skills in a volunteer project. With this in mind, we’ve made a difficult business decision: We’re ready to finish development here and move on to bigger and better ventures.

We realize that this will come as a shock to many of our fans. Please, forgive us. Again, it’s been an excruciating call to make, but it’s been made a bit easier by our satisfaction with the previous and final release, v3.6. We’ve spent six years polishing Project M, and rather than let it drag on through another several years of dwindling development and change-fatigue in the competitive circle, we’re going to consider our work complete.

In the mean time, we plan to be hard at work on new projects, built from the ground up. We can’t spill the beans just yet, but know that we’re looking towards a fresh start with brand new designs. Rather than splitting our focus, many of us want to dedicate ourselves to this new venture fully. In this way, we hope to maintain the level of quality and professionalism you’ve come to expect from us.

In summary, we are ceasing development of Project M (effective immediately) and will be making no further releases as we turn our attention towards an entirely new venture. As the PMDev team will be formally disbanded, please forward all official communications regarding Project M to video game attorney and business consultant
. We appreciate your support and your understanding.

One final time,

PMDev

Thank you for playing!

KrillinThresh77

Smash Rookie
NNID
KrillinThresh77
Switch FC
SW 1527 0087 0808
Ohhh crap... PM is done?
Holy ****... And just when I got back into playing it too...
Good god... o.o

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
The PMDT has disbanded, but PM is not dead.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I'm a little behind the times here; which release is currently out? 3.5? So, 3.6 will still be a thing?

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
I'm a little behind the times here; which release is currently out? 3.5? So, 3.6 will still be a thing?
3.6 is the current version, but a promised patch will be forgone due to this.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
3.6 is the current version, but a promised patch will be forgone due to this.
So, you're saying that what's out now is the last version we're getting, or that the next one is the last?
Sorry, but that was phrased awfully weird.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Will be very interesting to see what comes of all this in the next days/weeks/years. Both with respect to how the PM community handles it and with respect to what actually happened, since details are so sparse.

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
So, you're saying that what's out now is the last version we're getting, or that the next one is the last?
Sorry, but that was phrased awfully weird.
What we have now is all we'll be getting.

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
PLEASE release the other content. I am literally begging at this point.
If anything for goodness sake just release it as extra content not part of the official release, its a huge let down to not go out with the biggest bang you can muster.

I really don't think 3.6 was the version to leave to the hands of time, but that is the decision made and I'll accept it.

P.S. Gonna go get a beer out and sit in a corner with a boombox. Its been fun.

I look foward to your future "ventures"

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I keep reading that the game cannot be downloaded now... the initial letter from the PM team does not state this. Can the mod not be downloaded anywhere, now?

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I keep reading that the game cannot be downloaded now... the initial letter from the PM team does not state this. Can the mod not be downloaded anywhere, now?
I mean, yeah, people can host mirrors. But the Project M website is no longer hosting it.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
I'm as sad as excited for your new project, PMDevTeam. If you're trying to open a Kickstarter project, I will there paying lots of €.

rockmanmegaman

Smash Rookie
So... You spent the last few months teasing us with new contents and skins, and then decided to do this. Wow... Just wow... I don't know whether you're being a troll or a jerk, but whatever.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
So... You spent the last few months teasing us with new contents and skins, and then decided to do this. Wow... Just wow... I don't know whether you're being a troll or a jerk, but whatever.
You have to understand Nintendo could have sent some lawyers to PMDT's door. I wouldn't judge them, we all knew this could eventually happen. Now we have to believe in that new project they are talking about.

rockmanmegaman

Smash Rookie
You have to understand Nintendo could have sent some lawyers to PMDT's door. I wouldn't judge them, we all knew this could eventually happen. Now we have to believe in that new project they are talking about.
Yeah, umm, they say it got nothing to do with C&D. So it's either they're being jerks or trolls.

Believe in their future projects? Hmm... After teasing everyone with new contents over a few months now, they just abandoned everything in one day with no warning. Yeah, I don't think I have any faith or believe in their future project at all. They might just decided to cancel it on the day it gets release.

Not saying that they can't cancel their mod since they did make it for free, but teasing people who had be supporting them for years, and then just shut down everything (EVERYTHING) in 1 day is just really mean spirited. Their reasoning doesn't even address why the **** they removed everything in their site. It's ****ed up and stupid.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

༼ つ ಥ_ಥ ༽つ GIVE PMDT YOUR PATIENCE, AND HUGS ༼ つ ಥ_ಥ ༽つ

D

Deleted member

Huh? Patience? They've canceled it. It won't come back.
Patience that they can't say anything without legal repercussions. We should be understanding of the people that busted their asses to give us a great game at no cost to us. They aren't out to get us or squander their product, they literally cannot do much else.

rockmanmegaman

Smash Rookie
Patience that they can't say anything without legal repercussions. We should be understanding of the people that busted their ***** to give us a great game at no cost to us. They aren't out to get us or squander their product, they literally cannot do much else.
Yeah, except they're also the same people who teased us for months with new contents and ****. It's like waving a food infront of starving man and then eating it. It's mean spirited and just downright trolling. They have the contents and stuffs, they're just choosing not to release it. They also have hacking tools that they're hogging, but they aren't releasing it to the public. So really, It's their fault.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, except they're also the same people who teased us for months with new contents and ****. It's like waving a food infront of starving man and then eating it. It's mean spirited and just downright trolling. They have the contents and stuffs, they're just choosing not to release it. They also have hacking tools that they're hogging, but they aren't releasing it to the public. So really, It's their fault.
Teasing us? we are at their leisure not ours. Exercise some patience, they make no money off of this. The fact they were willing to show some things proves they care about us because they really didn't have to do that.

And you need to understand that they CAN'T share. Stop trying to paint them as the villains here, they aren't out to get us, man.

Last edited by a moderator:

rockmanmegaman

Smash Rookie
User was warned for this post
Either this Utterrandomness person is stupid, or is very very ********.
You pick

Teasing us? we are at their leisure not ours. Exercise some patience, they make no money off of this. The fact they were willing to show some things proves they care about us because they really didn't have to do that.

And you need to understand that they CAN'T share. Stop trying to paint them as the villains here, they aren't out to get us, man.
1) The first point just reinforces my last statement about waving food to a starving man.

2) They say it's not C&D. Call me naive, but I'm choosing to believe until they announce otherwise. Until then, they are the villain.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1) The first point just reinforces my last statement about waving food to a starving man.

2) They say it's not C&D. Call me naive, but I'm choosing to believe until they announce otherwise. Until then, they are the villain.
Waving food to a starving man. Are you that entitled to Project M content? That is ridiculous to even say such a thing or make a comparison of that in any way, shape, or form. This is a product they are creating for free, they show us things because we want to see, that they don't have to share.

They aren't trying to tease us in any negative way, either. It seems to me you are caring more about you in this case instead of whatever situation they might be going through. You are more worried that you aren't getting something that isn't even entitled to you at this point just because they had to cancel on short notice of a free project and under legal obligations right now.

Whatever reason they have right now, it is most certainly legal even if they aren't being sued and they are clearly under a NDA right now. Show some care for the people that blessed us with this content in the first place, you were never entitled to any of this in the first place and they've gone more out of their way for free than you are even willing to give them in their situation. They obviously aren't happy about this if you've seen the reddit.

Utterrandomness

Smash Apprentice
They've shut down without warning, with immediate effect. If they planned this, they would have finished with a release. They have not. Anyone with half a brain can figure out that they've been forced to do this, whether they wanted to or not.

So, faced with this fairly obvious fact, you still pile hate on the PM team, which is why you are either:

a) trolling for a reaction, or
b) too stupid to understand the situation at hand

Your response to me makes it pretty clear which is the correct one...

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
:(

Thanks PMDT for all you have done I could have not asked for a better experience.

rockmanmegaman

Smash Rookie
Waving food to a starving man. Are you that entitled to Project M content? That is ridiculous to even say such a thing or make a comparison of that in any way, shape, or form. This is a product they are creating for free, they show us things because we want to see, that they don't have to share.

They aren't trying to tease us in any negative way, either. It seems to me you are caring more about you in this case instead of whatever situation they might be going through. You are more worried that you aren't getting something that isn't even entitled to you at this point just because they had to cancel on short notice of a free project and under legal obligations right now.

Whatever reason they have right now, it is most certainly legal even if they aren't being sued and they are clearly under a NDA right now. Show some care for the people that blessed us with this content in the first place, you were never entitled to any of this in the first place and they've gone more out of their way for free than you are even willing to give them in their situation. They obviously aren't happy about this if you've seen the reddit.
a) I never said I'm entitled.
b) How is a starving man entitled to anything? My statement was basically saying it's mean spirited. It's like me waving something you really wanted and making it seems like you'll be getting it and then say "nope! You're not getting it".
c) Tease -> Tease -> Tease -> We're ceasing. Yep... Not negative at all.
d) Lol, I'm not worried about getting the contents because we really aren't getting the contents. They've already stated that they aren't going to release it even through unofficial means.
e) Read point (a) again.
f) Until they say it or confirm it, I'm not going to paint Nintendo as the villain. There's a chance and equally big as well that the whole "wavedash making a game" news could be true.

They've shut down without warning, with immediate effect. If they planned this, they would have finished with a release. They have not. Anyone with half a brain can figure out that they've been forced to do this, whether they wanted to or not.

So, faced with this fairly obvious fact, you still pile hate on the PM team, which is why you are either:

a) trolling for a reaction, or
b) too stupid to understand the situation at hand

Your response to me makes it pretty clear which is the correct one...
a) I'm not going to pin blame on Nintendo over something that hasn't been confirmed by them.
b) So you're saying I shouldn't be mad for them utterly and suddenly canceling everything, but focus all my anger onto Nintendo (who they claimed never did anything). Wow, I can't argue with that logic.
c) You're implying I shouldn't pile hate on them yet you seem to imply that I should pile hate on Nintendo. Yeah, umm... I can't argue with "unique" logic.
d) You're stupid and ********. Hey look, I can throw insults easily as well :)!

D

Deleted member

You are absolutely entitled and are in denial about it. Honestly, I can't even believe you are this selfish about this situation. I have nothing else to say other than what a shame it is that you are saying these absurd things.

rockmanmegaman

Smash Rookie
He doesn't even attempt to think about what we're telling him, so there's no point, I guess.
I called you stupid and ********, did you believe that? Make your own argument. Stop piling/piggy backing onto others lol. Geez, such a sheep.

You are absolutely entitled and are in denial about it. Honestly, I can't even believe you are this selfish about this situation. I have nothing else to say other than what a shame it is that you are saying these absurd things.
Okay, so what do you suggest? Me pinning the blame on Nintendo? Right, okay.

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
R rockmanmegaman

I get how upsetting this is, but getting mad at the PMDT, blaming them as if they intended on teasing us and then pulling the meat of the updates away with a sinister smile on their collective faces is kind of silly. I don't know what happened, and I'm not happy about this. I'm not angry though, I'm sad. It's as if an old friend that you were expecting a visit from soon has just died and you'll never see them again. Listening to what little has been said by PMDT members here, they're clearly upset from this, as are we. They wanted to finish the project and for some reason now they can't.

Until we have all the information though, getting mad at anyone because of some conspiracies is idiotic. Could it be Nintendo's fault? Maybe, but we don't know it is. It's already been confirmed by a few PMDT members that Wavedash never was part of the PMDT, so it's not that. Wait and see with the rest of us. Mourn, but don't lash out at the people who have given us so much for nothing.

And most of all, mourn for Knuckles. T_T He'll never get to chuckle and flex his muscles in Smash now.

rockmanmegaman

Smash Rookie
R rockmanmegaman

I get how upsetting this is, but getting mad at the PMDT, blaming them as if they intended on teasing us and then pulling the meat of the updates away with a sinister smile on their collective faces is kind of silly. I don't know what happened, and I'm not happy about this. I'm not angry though, I'm sad. It's as if an old friend that you were expecting a visit from soon has just died and you'll never see them again. Listening to what little has been said by PMDT members here, they're clearly upset from this, as are we. They wanted to finish the project and for some reason now they can't.

Until we have all the information though, getting mad at anyone because of some conspiracies is idiotic. Could it be Nintendo's fault? Maybe, but we don't know it is. It's already been confirmed by a few PMDT members that Wavedash never was part of the PMDT, so it's not that. Wait and see with the rest of us. Mourn, but don't lash out at the people who have given us so much for nothing.

And most of all, mourn for Knuckles. T_T He'll never get to chuckle and flex his muscles in Smash now.
Yeah, I don't know about the "them being upset thing", but whatever.

Utterrandomness, take notes. ^This is how you make a statement without piggy backing on other people's post.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
R rockmanmegaman I can't speak for all of them, but there were some PMDT members in the PM Social Thread. Hylian that I remember for sure who expressed his disappointment of the project ending. I would assume a good deal of the members hate leaving something left undone, even if they were somewhat happy with their final recent release.

MuhJealous

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shikinouta
3DS FC
2552-3177-9337
The PMDT was nothing but a smokescreen,
I heard silence on Art Tuesday, then...
THEY PLAYED US LIKE A DAMN CPU!
Give it back! This isn't right! That was ours!
We built it dammit!

You Wavedash *****!

RIP PM3.7
RIP Lynn
RIP Link Grab Bugfix
RIFP Everything

Thank you for everything, you will always be the PM Backroom in my heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom