• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Announcement Project M Development Has Come to an End

Status
Not open for further replies.

ted dorosheff

Smash Apprentice
R rockmanmegaman dude you are seriously bumming me out with, just, your whole attitude towards the PMDT. How can you sit behind your keyboard, type things like "So really, It's their fault.", about a group of hard working UNPAID developers who gave us something that we will have now forever, and not think you are entitled?

Some people....

rockmanmegaman

Smash Rookie
R rockmanmegaman dude you are seriously bumming me out with, just, your whole attitude towards the PMDT. How can you sit behind your keyboard, type things like "So really, It's their fault.", about a group of hard working UNPAID developers who gave us something that we will have now forever, and not think you are entitled?

Some people....
a) I said they're being mean spirit for teasing.
b) "Forever"? Newsflash, the links are gone. They have every intention to get rid of it.

Skailler

Smash Cadet
NNID
Skailler
@StupidDiscussionAbove Please, stop. Just ignore him.

Im sad to see the end of this project, especially considering I literally just got into it. Whatever you are planning for the future, Im wishing you the best for it. And while this may sound kinda stupid, but does that include a cancelled PAL version as well?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I've never played PM and I prefer silly casual fun over competetive play. But goddamn, this is pretty saddening, I was always impressed by the devs' efforts. Shame it had to go. All I can do is hope Team Wavedash make a future game or something which has just as much effort as this

Paquito

Smash Journeyman
A couple thoughts:

First and foremost, if the dev team really is planning on working on a stand-alone project, I'M FREAKIN' PSYCHED!!! Different people enjoy the Smash series for different reasons, but the reason I chose to focus on PM over all others is because the focus on the stated goals of the PM (fast, balanced, competitive, favoring offense, rewarding edge-guarding, etc) trumps everything else for me. If this team is really going to develop an easy to pick up, hard to master game with similar mechanics, that can also be a fun party game with casual friends (let's keep that item switch!), it's going to be amazing, even without Nintendo franchise characters. I'll be a supporter from day 1.

The abruptness of this announcement does seem suspicious to me. The fact that the download isn't available on the site is a huge red-flag. They probably got a legal letter from Nintendo threatening them. If the language of that letter implies they aren't even allowed to talk about it though, that's beyond ****ed up. I wish they'd fight it, but I understand it wouldn't be worth the expense, (unless some legal advocacy organization volunteered to take the case pro-bono).

Still, if this letter exists, at the very least, leak it to the press. You guys already stopped distribution of the game, there's no longer any legal harm Nintendo can point to to hold you guys liable. If they go after you for simply making the letter public, despite having taken the game down, they're going to get a sh**storm of bad press.

Delta Chae

The Observer
@StupidDiscussionAbove Please, stop. Just ignore him.

Im sad to see the end of this project, especially considering I literally just got into it. Whatever you are planning for the future, Im wishing you the best for it. And while this may sound kinda stupid, but does that include a cancelled PAL version as well?
Everything they had planned out is effectively gone now. Unless they decide to put it out as open source for fans to finish up we're not getting it.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It's a sad day for sure. I can't say it's overly shocking; we knew eventually Nintendo would grow confident enough to shut it down.

And naturally they have to get rid of their stuff, but I expect some things they had planned to release to "leak" in some variation onto the Internet. (Clone Engine, Lynckles, maybe other stuff)

It's a homegrown dev team and I'm sure they had some members very unhappy with this situation.

All the same, I'm sad to see development stop, but we still have the game and can still play it. I plan to keep doing that, and return to it whenever Smash 4's DLC gets stale for me.

I'll wear my PM shirt with pride, PMDT.

Paquito

Smash Journeyman
The abruptness of this announcement does seem suspicious to me. The fact that the download isn't available on the site is a huge red-flag. They probably got a legal letter from Nintendo threatening them. If the language of that letter implies they aren't even allowed to talk about it though, that's beyond ****ed up. I wish they'd fight it, but I understand it wouldn't be worth the expense, (unless some legal advocacy organization volunteered to take the case pro-bono).

Still, if this letter exists, at the very least, leak it to the press. You guys already stopped distribution of the game, there's no longer any legal harm Nintendo can point to to hold you guys liable. If they go after you for simply making the letter public, despite having taken the game down, they're going to get a sh**storm of bad press.
Oh, they do have an attorney already. Here's a tweet claiming they received no legal notice from Nintendo. Optimistically reading this: they really have decided to throw all of their effort behind a standalone project, and don't want to introduce undue risk to that new business by continuing to distribute Project M.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Oh, they do have an attorney already. Here's a tweet claiming they received no legal notice from Nintendo. Optimistically reading this: they really have decided to throw all of their effort behind a standalone project, and don't want to introduce undue risk to that new business by continuing to distribute Project M.
The abruptness, the fact that they had things in the works, and the fact that they're apparently getting rid of everything makes this suspect, but why the outright answer in this case?

That said, if it isn't a C/D, I DEFINITELY expect SOME version of their unfinished work to leak.

Oh, and I feel like stealthily releasing the bug fix patch would be fine; unless it wasn't finished. This is all very weird.

Last edited:

Paquito

Smash Journeyman
The abruptness, the fact that they had things in the works, and the fact that they're apparently getting rid of everything makes this suspect, but why the outright answer in this case?

That said, if it isn't a C/D, I DEFINITELY expect SOME version of their unfinished work to leak.

Oh, and I feel like stealthily releasing the bug fix patch would be fine; unless it wasn't finished. This is all very weird.
Like I said, that was an optimistic reading :) The abruptness of this announcement is definitely suspect.

But here's more optimistic speculation: 3.7 would probably be at least 6 months more of volunteer work on a project they've already spent 6 years of their lives on. If they're willing to quit their jobs to start on a new business venture, and especially if they suddenly got funding for it right now, maybe it doesn't make sense for them to split their time and energy between the two projects, and the legal considerations I mentioned earlier would necessitate this abrupt take down.

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
Thank you guys for all the hard work & good luck in your future endeavors!

Now we wait for the inevitable Neo PMDT Team Rocket.

Last edited:

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
And I can see it's also your first time reading.
You know what "They have every intention to get rid of it" means, right?
What he means it that, it's the internet. The links might be gone, but the download is not. Mirrors will pop up somewhere, if they haven't already.

ted dorosheff

Smash Apprentice
And I can see it's also your first time reading.
You know what "They have every intention to get rid of it" means, right?
Lets think about what that means for a second. They would have to ask torrents to stop sharing, they would have to take down 3rd party mirrors. Good luck to them in that endeavor. You know who else has been trying to squash content and enforce copyrights? RIAA, MPAA. How effective have their efforts been in completely removing pirated content? Those are two organizations with resources that make Nintendo seem like a mom and pop shop.

quit being such a doom sayer.

Truerebel

Smash Rookie
I've been following/playing PM casually for maybe a year now and I have to say this is a bittersweet announcement. PM isn't gone, nor will it be in the foreseeable future knowing the internet and community here, but it's sad that we will never get to see the *true* final version that was in store. I completely understand the call though. A project of PM's nature is just fundamentally limited, and I'm excited to see what projects the new team creates in the future free from these limitations.

gg wp etc, I'm going to continue enjoying playing/practicing PM for many years to come with friends and family.

Large Dad

Smash Cadet
NNID
ITSYOPAPA
3DS FC
2680-9462-5670
Oh ****.

I feel the game is already pretty well balanced and all but this is kinda depressing that we won't ever see new content...

I just hope no longer developing the game won't kill the competitive community this game has created.

But thank you for everything, guys.

:')

Last edited:

4AM_Jefe

Smash Rookie
It's my hope that the community comes together and creates a "Project M 3.6 Final Version"

Implement known bug fixes.

Tie up loose ends.

Agree that all tournaments should now use this.

Let the meta develop.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
So Project M ceased development and now announcing no further updates?

:4gaw:MY MAIN MAN GAME AND WATCH BROKEN FOREVER!!!:4gaw:
:4gaw:
upload_2015-12-2_11-37-35.png
:4gaw:
(But in all seriousness, thank you PM for this wonderful mod!)

Last edited:

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Thank you, for everything. I will never forget what you have done. The entertainment you have brought, the experience you have improved, and the connections you have helped me make as well as the lessons you have helped me learn.

As you have probably guessed, this is not merely a thanks to the dev team for their much appreciated work (bless your hearts, I wish you the best). This is thanks to all. Whether it be staying up all damn night waiting for a juicy update, or training and studying to git gud, I cherish these memories.

Once again, thank you.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I don't think C&D is the case here. If it was, there would be no reason as to why they wouldn't be able to disclose it.

I got a sneaky suspicion if it was due to something else...

Quintessence

Smash Rookie
I don't think C&D is the case here. If it was, there would be no reason as to why they wouldn't be able to disclose it.

I got a sneaky suspicion if it was due to something else...
Most likely a gag order and a deal was brokered to keep things "civil". Otherwise there would be no reason to tear everything off of the site and instantly stop all production.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Sad to see PM go. You folks were literally the only ones to ever do Bowser justice in a SSB game.

Good luck on your future ventures! :)

zpxociv

Smash Apprentice
I just hope one of the PM devs does the right thing and leaks the new characters. This is PM's Apocalypse, where's the revelation show we're entitled to?

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
I imagine it must be an unnerving experience to constantly have to worry about a company as powerful as Nintendo breathing down your neck day in and day out. I strongly believe Nintendo had a hand in this, but maybe it was for the better. These devs are probably better off leaving the project behind to start work on less aggravating projects - ones that don't reside in a legal grey area. I'm surprised Project M lasted as long as it did given it's circumstances. These guys have passion and will probably do great at just about anything they set their minds to. I look forward to what happens next.

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
I just hope one of the PM devs does the right thing and leaks the new characters. This is PM's Apocalypse, where's the revelation show we're entitled to?
Don't look at things like that as things that we're entitled to. We're not entitled to anything at this point. If anything, I would say that the project itself deserves a real sendoff though, not an abrupt message on a blog saying it's over. Production went out with a whimper and it's maddeningly disappointing.

Quintessence

Smash Rookie
I think that would be a horrible mistake, Nintendo would destroy them if that happened.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I think that would be a horrible mistake, Nintendo would destroy them if that happened.
If Nintendo actually had no hand in this, then they won't lift a finger because it's not their problem.

And even if they did, some ex-dev "leaking" things into BrawlVault or some other site isn't going to send Nintendo overboard. The Project is shut down and that's what matters.

A bit like that fanmade sequel to Chrono Trigger.

Don't look at things like that as things that we're entitled to. We're not entitled to anything at this point. If anything, I would say that the project itself deserves a real sendoff though, not an abrupt message on a blog saying it's over. Production went out with a whimper and it's maddeningly disappointing.
I agree wholeheartedly with this. It's fine if 3.6 is the final release because it's extremely well polished, even if there are a few bugs (what doesn't have them?) but it's such a sudden end that it feels like we didn't get to say goodbye. Obviously the community isn't dead because people still love to play the game, but something about this feels so hollow.

Last edited:

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Well,this sucks. Now I'll never get to experienced project M.

This outcome is probably relevant as to why gimR had removed all the project m content from his youtube channel about a year ago. :/

Last edited:

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman

'Tis a sad day indeed. It's been a whirlwind over these last six years, and I'm awed at how this project has grown and what it's managed to pull off in terms of gameplay, balance, new stages and costumes, and even bringing Mewtwo/Roy back.

I'm going to miss hearing about updates and looking forward to every next version of the game, but it still means a lot that we're able to enjoy this in the first place.

Thank you so much for all of your hard work, PMDT! Best of luck on all of your future endeavors!

--and if you'll excuse me while I...

TheRealSkid

Smash Apprentice
No, Tink. T tasteless gentleman
(I'm just kidding. A link would be great!)

Edit: I forgot to mention that Project M is probably the only reason why I would ever loved Smash as much as I do. Watching Emukiller, Frozen, Professor Pro, Junebug, and many others push the limits of this game inspired me to get competitive and one day become as good as them in a game where Mewtwo was viable for once. Thanks so much to the PMDT for all their hard work and dedication as well as those that have made it such a popular and successful game! I hope the fun, the tournaments, and the hype truly never end even when development does.

Last edited:

NXero

Smash Apprentice
I don't know why they keep saying there was C&D though, they shouldn't even respond instead of lying like that... At least I know who the coolest PMDT member is now. You know who you are, you sly dog, you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom