• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M - Codex Re-Build [PREVIEW] - In 3.6 Works Edition [JULY 5th UPDATE]

MagicManNo9

A busy man with a busy schedule these days!
Ive only posted once and would hate that my comment felt like pressure. I wish you smooth sailing with the project and life in general. Ive waited 5 years for Metroid, so I can definitely wait for your hard work to be complete.
Firstly thank you, that said, I must apologize to you and certain people for my post as it wasn't intended for you! I can also assure you your comment has never done such a thing! (If anything it motivates me!) and for that I respect it. I'll certainly do my best to deliver the best possible build I can for you all!

MagicManNo9

Re-posting from Front Page (I spent a good 2 hours updating that!) Also special thanks to a friend named Jak (People won't know, IRL friend who I hope to be reading this that is!) for clearing my head by just being a super awesome friend and also for letting me take my mind of things. Thanks to that! I shall be getting back in gear soon, but again, I want to say that I shall be working at my own pace to try and keep myself healthy as I work over everything.

What is this?

- The Codex Build is more or less a custom build project that gathers a variety of some of best Smash mods out there and bundles them all together to create a professional looking build that feels authentic, sleek and professional looking for anyone's personal use, with both tourney players and casual players alike, the aim is to put together a build that (hopefully) everyone can enjoy.

What's the aim?

- The idea mainly focuses towards taking various aspects from every smash game and incorporating them in a way that blends together, this ranges from costume choices, to character select portraits, taking into account various different factors when choosing stages, characters, music and many more.

How long will this build take to create?

- No set release date I'm afraid, the paragraph below explains why, but at the same time, I'm waiting for various mods to be released, reworking back and forth to try and get the best out of the skill that I muster with what I have and will try my best to do!

- Originally when I made this thread, I came with the idea of "Yeah, it will have everything, like this, this and this, and a little of this! And going to be released at this time!" the nutshell version is that I started I wanted to create a perfect build and underestimated how difficult it can actually be, when I got deeper and gained more of an understanding of mods and the development of them I learnt that that when you pick up various skills along the way you tend to notice a lot of things you want to change, and that being able to, I would go back, fix up somethings, this can be from textures, to simple errors, going back and forth on a lot of things, this is a one man job in terms of putting everything together, with that said, I've had some amazing help from so many amazing people over the year that the build's design wouldn't be here right now.

What main mods will you be implementing?

- With CBliss out, I can extend to costume count to 14 from my understanding, I could be wrong though as I've not tested the new CBliss with 3.5, in any case whilst I'm putting together mods I most likely will wait til 3.6 drops, 3.6 also uses ASL, advance stage loader, which is also compatible with stage expansion from what I've heard, those will be the main mods I shall be using in the build.

What's Re-build?

It's a sequel
- Jokes only Eva fans will get aside, I'm more or less re-working the build again, with a lot more things into account, with the release of 3.6 and icons, which means I'll be creating icons for all characters within this build, I'll also be re-working renders, compressing CSPs and going through mods over and over again til I feel I got the right selection of costumes for each character, same applies with Stages when I get to that point, luckily a lot of these things have been done so the work isn't as heavy as one would imagine, it certainly takes a lot of time though!

Will you be taking Suggestions/Requests?

- At this point in time, most likely not, whenever I go to pick out costumes I spend about an hour or so going through all available mods, seeing which ones I think are best, if custom recolors are required and seeing what colors mix well together in game, from there it can range from 4 hours to a whole day of putting things together and setting them all up, luckily this time around I've set most of it up so I can access it more easier than re-doing things because I use to rush specific things like render set ups in a way that makes is unusable in case I wanted to go back and switch out costumes and such, even now I'm still working on things!

Costumes Listing:

In this section you'll see a listing of all the costumes currently that'll appear in the build, this is mainly so you can take a look at what to expect in the build, sorta like a listing of everything when the final release hits!

Mario -

00 - Red Costume [Red Team] - Main default costume.
02 - Green Costume [Green Team] - Adjusted to make the costume look a little closer to the Japanese box art of the original Wrecking Crew game.
03 - Teal Costume [Blue Team] - Inspired from Smash 4 teal Mario's costume.
04 - Yellow Costume - Inspiration of that color comes from the box cover of the upcoming Mario Maker game!
05 - Black Costume - Based on Flying Mario from Mario Galaxy.
06 - White Costume - Fire Mario costume
07 - Striped Costume - Based on Smash 4's Mario costume, which is based on NES Open Tournament Golf.
08 - White Dr. Mario - The recolor is based on Smash 4's Dr. Mario.
09 - Red Dr. Mario [Red Team] - The recolor is based on Smash 4's Dr. Mario.
10 - Green Dr. Mario [Green Team] - The recolor is based on Smash 4's Dr. Mario.
11 - Blue Dr. Mario [Blue Team] - The recolor is based on Smash 4's Dr. Mario.
12 - Black Dr. Mario - The recolor is based on Smash 4's Dr. Mario.
13 - Yellow Dr. Mario - The recolor is based on Smash 4's Dr. Mario.
14 - Pink Dr. Mario - The recolor is based on Smash 4's Dr. Mario.

____________________________________________________________________________​

As a side note I also plan to thank and credit everyone whose mod appears in the build, this even counts as to those that given me inspiration to very little details, the saying I always go with is that "Every little counts!"

The Color Choice Factor:

Over time I've made a lot of choices in regards to CSPs but also notably costume colors as I've noticed I've been questioned on this before, this is because I wanted to make sure there isn't a huge overlap within game, I don't want to get too technical but at the same time I want to explain some of the color changes using Mario as an example to putting this together.

I wanted all the costumes, or rather, I wanted each and every costume to stand out, in my head I wanted to be able to pick any costume and be happy with that choice, with that said not everyone will have the same feeling no matter what selection of costumes I picked, so I'm more or less taking a crack at what I think is best for as many people as possible to that of just myself.

At the same time some of these color changes are more for trying to freshen things up (I hope that makes sense, it's hard to put that into words) so I made textures for as many Dr Mario costumes to give him a new vibe (Again, if that doesn't make sense, I'm so sorry!) and add a little Smash 4 flavor into the mix color wise!

Earlier I mentioned how I wanted to make this build with the intention of everyone, from both tourney and casual players alike, one key point with colors is that you don't want them to overlap, you can for example have two different shades of green or two different green models of Link provided on how they look, basically from a tourney players perspective I want to aim to not let them get their characters mixed up when playing just because if they're playing a ditto match and one Mario costume looks similar to the other.

Another little change or note that might seem contradictory is being careful not to over saturate the way things look, in my previous CSPs for Mario you may or may not have noticed that Dr. Mario is holding multi-colored pills, in these ones I changed them to a single one for the CSP only, (Just to clarify, not in game haha, that would be too silly if I did that!) it was hard to see what color is what when you flick through the costumes in game, I wanted players to know immediately what color costume they're picking for Dr. Mario, it's a very VERY minor thing and not many people will understand this change but in any case that's the first section on color choices I'll be writing about this post!

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
I knew Codex was a giant mecha

God I can't wait for your build. So clean. So organized. Really good work.

Kurukato87

Smash Apprentice
Ah, this brings me back a bit, I remember seeing this back when the thread went up originally. Didn't post back then because I didn't post as much (which is saying a lot considering) and because I thought it was going to be like the other builds of the time and fizzle out quickly. Luckily, that wasn't/isn't the case and I've seen nothing but quality work from you, especially in the last few months. It has been a bit of a journey, you started with recolors of SJS's work, then you moved on to your own stuff, you got better and then trained at Mt. Taiko, things happened and here we are. Point is: I am very much looking forward to release and I hope you keep up the good work.

PS: Why do I have a feeling that you know me as the guy who just shows up and lectures people here occasionally?

ConDeeCas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ConDeeCas
PS: Why do I have a feeling that you know me as the guy who just shows up and lectures people here occasionally?
That's not necessarily a bad thing to be known as. I'm largely known as a guy who is obsessed with a fictional Turtle-Cat hybrid.

CopynPasteKevin

Smash Cadet
NNID
CopynPaste
Re-posting from Front Page (I spent a good 2 hours updating that!) Also special thanks to a friend named Jak (People won't know, IRL friend who I hope to be reading this that is!) for clearing my head by just being a super awesome friend and also for letting me take my mind of things. Thanks to that! I shall be getting back in gear soon, but again, I want to say that I shall be working at my own pace to try and keep myself healthy as I work over everything.

What is this?

- The Codex Build is more or less a custom build project that gathers a variety of some of best Smash mods out there and bundles them all together to create a professional looking build that feels authentic, sleek and professional looking for anyone's personal use, with both tourney players and casual players alike, the aim is to put together a build that (hopefully) everyone can enjoy.

What's the aim?

- The idea mainly focuses towards taking various aspects from every smash game and incorporating them in a way that blends together, this ranges from costume choices, to character select portraits, taking into account various different factors when choosing stages, characters, music and many more.

How long will this build take to create?

- No set release date I'm afraid, the paragraph below explains why, but at the same time, I'm waiting for various mods to be released, reworking back and forth to try and get the best out of the skill that I muster with what I have and will try my best to do!

- Originally when I made this thread, I came with the idea of "Yeah, it will have everything, like this, this and this, and a little of this! And going to be released at this time!" the nutshell version is that I started I wanted to create a perfect build and underestimated how difficult it can actually be, when I got deeper and gained more of an understanding of mods and the development of them I learnt that that when you pick up various skills along the way you tend to notice a lot of things you want to change, and that being able to, I would go back, fix up somethings, this can be from textures, to simple errors, going back and forth on a lot of things, this is a one man job in terms of putting everything together, with that said, I've had some amazing help from so many amazing people over the year that the build's design wouldn't be here right now.

What main mods will you be implementing?

- With CBliss out, I can extend to costume count to 14 from my understanding, I could be wrong though as I've not tested the new CBliss with 3.5, in any case whilst I'm putting together mods I most likely will wait til 3.6 drops, 3.6 also uses ASL, advance stage loader, which is also compatible with stage expansion from what I've heard, those will be the main mods I shall be using in the build.

What's Re-build?

It's a sequel
- Jokes only Eva fans will get aside, I'm more or less re-working the build again, with a lot more things into account, with the release of 3.6 and icons, which means I'll be creating icons for all characters within this build, I'll also be re-working renders, compressing CSPs and going through mods over and over again til I feel I got the right selection of costumes for each character, same applies with Stages when I get to that point, luckily a lot of these things have been done so the work isn't as heavy as one would imagine, it certainly takes a lot of time though!

Will you be taking Suggestions/Requests?

- At this point in time, most likely not, whenever I go to pick out costumes I spend about an hour or so going through all available mods, seeing which ones I think are best, if custom recolors are required and seeing what colors mix well together in game, from there it can range from 4 hours to a whole day of putting things together and setting them all up, luckily this time around I've set most of it up so I can access it more easier than re-doing things because I use to rush specific things like render set ups in a way that makes is unusable in case I wanted to go back and switch out costumes and such, even now I'm still working on things!

Costumes Listing:

In this section you'll see a listing of all the costumes currently that'll appear in the build, this is mainly so you can take a look at what to expect in the build, sorta like a listing of everything when the final release hits!

Mario -

00 - Red Costume [Red Team] - Main default costume.
02 - Green Costume [Green Team] - Adjusted to make the costume look a little closer to the Japanese box art of the original Wrecking Crew game.
03 - Teal Costume [Blue Team] - Inspired from Smash 4 teal Mario's costume.
04 - Yellow Costume - Inspiration of that color comes from the box cover of the upcoming Mario Maker game!
05 - Black Costume - Based on Flying Mario from Mario Galaxy.
06 - White Costume - Fire Mario costume
07 - Striped Costume - Based on Smash 4's Mario costume, which is based on NES Open Tournament Golf.
08 - White Dr. Mario - The recolor is based on Smash 4's Dr. Mario.
09 - Red Dr. Mario [Red Team] - The recolor is based on Smash 4's Dr. Mario.
10 - Green Dr. Mario [Green Team] - The recolor is based on Smash 4's Dr. Mario.
11 - Blue Dr. Mario [Blue Team] - The recolor is based on Smash 4's Dr. Mario.
12 - Black Dr. Mario - The recolor is based on Smash 4's Dr. Mario.
13 - Yellow Dr. Mario - The recolor is based on Smash 4's Dr. Mario.
14 - Pink Dr. Mario - The recolor is based on Smash 4's Dr. Mario.

____________________________________________________________________________​

As a side note I also plan to thank and credit everyone whose mod appears in the build, this even counts as to those that given me inspiration to very little details, the saying I always go with is that "Every little counts!"

The Color Choice Factor:

Over time I've made a lot of choices in regards to CSPs but also notably costume colors as I've noticed I've been questioned on this before, this is because I wanted to make sure there isn't a huge overlap within game, I don't want to get too technical but at the same time I want to explain some of the color changes using Mario as an example to putting this together.

I wanted all the costumes, or rather, I wanted each and every costume to stand out, in my head I wanted to be able to pick any costume and be happy with that choice, with that said not everyone will have the same feeling no matter what selection of costumes I picked, so I'm more or less taking a crack at what I think is best for as many people as possible to that of just myself.

At the same time some of these color changes are more for trying to freshen things up (I hope that makes sense, it's hard to put that into words) so I made textures for as many Dr Mario costumes to give him a new vibe (Again, if that doesn't make sense, I'm so sorry!) and add a little Smash 4 flavor into the mix color wise!

Earlier I mentioned how I wanted to make this build with the intention of everyone, from both tourney and casual players alike, one key point with colors is that you don't want them to overlap, you can for example have two different shades of green or two different green models of Link provided on how they look, basically from a tourney players perspective I want to aim to not let them get their characters mixed up when playing just because if they're playing a ditto match and one Mario costume looks similar to the other.

Another little change or note that might seem contradictory is being careful not to over saturate the way things look, in my previous CSPs for Mario you may or may not have noticed that Dr. Mario is holding multi-colored pills, in these ones I changed them to a single one for the CSP only, (Just to clarify, not in game haha, that would be too silly if I did that!) it was hard to see what color is what when you flick through the costumes in game, I wanted players to know immediately what color costume they're picking for Dr. Mario, it's a very VERY minor thing and not many people will understand this change but in any case that's the first section on color choices I'll be writing about this post!
WHY DID I NOT FIND OUT ABOUT THIS SOONER.
But yeah, I can understand about the selection of costumes can be a bit challenging, especially when you have annoying people like me. I apologize in advance and from now on will respect with whatever you release!
Seriously, I jumped outta my seat when I saw this. McDonald's Mario might be my main because of this.

Last edited:

MagicManNo9

Probably late replying to everyone but I shall try to answer what I can! Any question that are repeating I shall place into the FAQ section and probably won't reply to but shall get there!

I knew Codex was a giant mecha

God I can't wait for your build. So clean. So organized. Really good work.
As always thank you as always! The aim to be be as clean and as organized as possible so it seems to be going well based on the first post! Will keep up the good work!

Ah, this brings me back a bit, I remember seeing this back when the thread went up originally. Didn't post back then because I didn't post as much (which is saying a lot considering) and because I thought it was going to be like the other builds of the time and fizzle out quickly. Luckily, that wasn't/isn't the case and I've seen nothing but quality work from you, especially in the last few months. It has been a bit of a journey, you started with recolors of SJS's work, then you moved on to your own stuff, you got better and then trained at Mt. Taiko, things happened and here we are. Point is: I am very much looking forward to release and I hope you keep up the good work.

If I'm perfectly honest I'm certainly glad for the lectures, I do happen to check the thread time to time and whenever I see comments like yours it gives a breath of fresh air and makes me glad there are people like you and a few others (You all know who you are and I'm thankful!) in the community that keep me motivated and understand the time and effort that gets put into this, so than you! It really has been a long journey, I never thought I'd gain this much knowledge over the past year (Mt. Taiko gets me every time ha!), it's certainly a fantastic feeling and I hope to put all my effort to delivering the best build I can muster for you all!

That's not necessarily a bad thing to be known as. I'm largely known as a guy who is obsessed with a fictional Turtle-Cat hybrid.
You're not alone, I'm known as the guy who's obsessed with a wearing a magic cap and fixated on having a good time!

So working on it again? Awesome!
Indeed so!

WHY DID I NOT FIND OUT ABOUT THIS SOONER.
But yeah, I can understand about the selection of costumes can be a bit challenging, especially when you have annoying people like me. I apologize in advance and from now on will respect with whatever you release!
Seriously, I jumped outta my seat when I saw this. McDonald's Mario might be my main because of this.
Thank you! I respect these kind of replies wholeheartedly! You need not apologize though as I know you understand and I know that feeling of being really hyped for something so much, and I hope Mario Maker Mario, the triple M, the triple Mac... I-I shall stop now, but look forward to more in the future thanks!

It's getting late and I got to tidy a few things up before I make with the second update in regards to more choices made design wise, so here's a single teaser of what's to come much later tonight UK time!

MagicManNo9

I hope I deliver on this one after yesterday, so here's Luigi! Like with Mario the aim was to balance out and pick out the best colors so everyone can enjoy!

00 - Green Costume [Green Team] - Main default costume.
01 - Pink Costume [Red Team] - Based on Luigi's appearance in wrecking crew.
03 - Cyan Costume [Blue Team] - Based on Mario's appearance on the american box-art for Mario Bros.
04 - White Costume - Fire Luigi costume.
05 - Orange Costume - Based on Mario's appearance on the box-art for Pinball.
06 - Purple Costume - Based on Waluigi's design.
07 - Yellow Costume - Based on his anime appearance as seen in Super Mario Bros.: Peach-hime Kyushutsu Dai Sakusen!
08 - Light Blue Costume - Based on Ice Luigi
09 - Blue Costume [Blue Team] - Based on blue multiplayer Luigi in Luigi's Mansion 2
10 - Black Costume [Green Team] - Flying Luigi costume
11 - Red Costume [Red Team] - Inspired to be a red multiplayer style Luigi like the ones you see in Luigi's Mansion 2
12 - Casino Costume - Based on the Mario 64 DS costume
13 - Mr L - Based on Mr L
14 - Doctor Luigi - Based on well... Doctor Luigi

Getting the right CSP for the right game:

For the record, I promise I won't be doing a long talk every time I do a character update, I just figured this is the best way to explain some decisions made for this particular build, and hopefully give a little insight on a few things in why I lay out things the way I do for CSPs!

The very first thing you'll notice is that I changed the pose to a whole new one, a few reasons for this actually, first reason is that the original pose I used for Luigi, the Smash 4 pose worked well in well... Smash 4! A bit confusing but Luigi in Smash 4 only had recolor costumes, when I applied this onto costumes like Dr Luigi it made him really fat, that of course being because of the coat, I also wanted to create a pose that showed the whole costume for what it is, with PM/Brawl compared to Smash 4 the space surrounding the CSPs is quite small, I wanted to make full use of it with what I had.

I also wanted to capture the whole character within the CSP, no cutting the head and whatnot, funny thing is that this post could have happened yesterday, the pose of Luigi's right arm went too far out and it cut off, so when I checked the renders I realized Oh boy, and redid all the renders the next day, for anyone who's working on CSPs or mods if you every look at a CSP and you know deep down there's something off and you could change it but you then you say to yourself you could save time not fussing over it, I would highly recommend doing it regardless! The feeling is annoying as anything but the payoff is great, I'm trailing off sorry so let's continue on!

Another reason for this pose is that I wanted a pose that mirrors Mario's pose in game, Mario facing one side, Luigi facing the other, whilst feeling a bit new at the same time (I can't speak on that as it's really up to you all to agree with that decision!) In any case I hope you like that one.

One little problem I stumbled on was Doctor Luigi and Casino Luigi had the same hat as default one, so without trying to add to the icon making it look out of place I went and changed the cap color, darker for Casino Luigi and lighter for Doctor Luigi, considering how the you can see the BPs in game it wouldn't serve too much of a problem in game luckily. Oh and one other reason for creating this pose was the icons as well! With some characters I plan to create new poses that will hopefully A) Look good (Fingers crossed!) and B) works well with Icons and looks good in game! Nothing more and nothing less to that!

Additional Luigi Choices:

For those who aren't fully aware, in PM some characters have alt team colors, Dr Mario is an example of that, and fairly recently on a PM art Tuesday, Luigi's Mr L costumes will be getting alt Team colors, rather than working around them I figured working with the team colors for some characters, I wanted to keep things more simple and clean for Luigi as he has two other costumes (Casino and doctor Mario) to balance that out I decided to keep the main Mr L costume and add in colors to fill those spaces.

I actually stumbled upon doing this accidentally when I ran into bit of a pickle, when I researching recolors to do, I couldn't find a suitable one for red (Or rather one that blends well), so I took the idea of the Luigi's mansion 2 multiplayer Luigi and made a red version of that, the blue one you see is also based on that, you also see that costume in Smash 4 as well, and of course, there's flying Luigi to add to this to balance out the green team without going too green.

These Recolors:

I can guarantee that some people will stumble upon the thread, see these costumes, then immediately try and seek them out in the vault, only to not find them and also end up finding slightly different ones, you may have noticed that with Mario, and other characters in the future, that I went and made my own, I'm also revamping textures from the vault here and there, of course I plan to give credit to each and every person and will also get permission if I can before making any updates/posts to regarding them! Here's a list of the costumes I made for this build specifically (I'll update this as I go along!):

:
- Green Mario
- Teal Mario
- Mario Maker Recolor Mario
- Flying Mario
- Dr Mario's Smash 4 style recolors

:
- Orange Luigi
- Smash 4 Yellow Luigi
- Ice Luigi
- Flying Luigi
- Red Luigi
- Smash 4 Blue Luigi

Just to clarify, I remade some from scratch, I know people will say "Oh but there's already a teal version! Or a Flying version on the vault!" but sometimes they can be too bright, or little details like the buttons are colored over, hence my reasons for redoing them!

That took longer than I thought but I hope that explains a few things and as always I hope you like!

Last edited:

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
I hope I deliver on this one after yesterday, so here's Luigi! Like with Mario the aim was to balance out and pick out the best colors so everyone can enjoy!

03 - Cyan Costume [Blue Team] - Based on Mario's appearance on the american box-art for Mario Bros.
07 - Yellow Costume - Based on his anime appearance as seen in Super Mario Bros.: Peach-hime Kyushutsu Dai Sakusen!
09 - Blue Costume [Blue Team] - Based on blue multiplayer Luigi in Luigi's Mansion 2
11 - Red Costume [Red Team] - Inspired to be a red multiplayer style Luigi like the ones you see in Luigi's Mansion 2

For the record, I promise I won't be doing a long talk every time I do a character update, I just figured this is the best way to explain some decisions made for this particular build, and hopefully give a little insight on a few things in why I lay out things the way I do for CSPs!

The very first thing you'll notice is that I changed the pose to a whole new one, a few reasons for this actually, first reason is that the original pose I used for Luigi, the Smash 4 pose worked well in well... Smash 4! A bit confusing but Luigi in Smash 4 only had recolor costumes, when I applied this onto costumes like Dr Luigi it made him really fat, that of course being because of the coat, I also wanted to create a pose that showed the whole costume for what it is, with PM/Brawl compared to Smash 4 the space surrounding the CSPs is quite small, I wanted to make full use of it with what I had.

I also wanted to capture the whole character within the CSP, no cutting the head and whatnot, funny thing is that this post could have happened yesterday, the pose of Luigi's right arm went too far out and it cut off, so when I checked the renders I realized Oh boy, and redid all the renders the next day, for anyone who's working on CSPs or mods if you every look at a CSP and you know deep down there's something off and you could change it but you then you say to yourself you could save time not fussing over it, I would highly recommend doing it regardless! The feeling is annoying as anything but the payoff is great, I'm trailing off sorry so let's continue on!

Another reason for this pose is that I wanted a pose that mirrors Mario's pose in game, Mario facing one side, Luigi facing the other, whilst feeling a bit new at the same time (I can't speak on that as it's really up to you all to agree with that decision!) In any case I hope you like that one.

One little problem I stumbled on was Doctor Luigi and Casino Luigi had the same hat as default one, so without trying to add to the icon making it look out of place I went and changed the cap color, darker for Casino Luigi and lighter for Doctor Luigi, considering how the you can see the BPs in game it wouldn't serve too much of a problem in game luckily. Oh and one other reason for creating this pose was the icons as well! With some characters I plan to create new poses that will hopefully A) Look good (Fingers crossed!) and B) works well with Icons and looks good in game! Nothing more and nothing less to that!

For those who aren't fully aware, in PM some characters have alt team colors, Dr Mario is an example of that, and fairly recently on a PM art Tuesday, Luigi's Mr L costumes will be getting alt Team colors, rather than working around them I figured working with the team colors for some characters, I wanted to keep things more simple and clean for Luigi as he has two other costumes (Casino and doctor Mario) to balance that out I decided to keep the main Mr L costume and add in colors to fill those spaces.

I actually stumbled upon doing this accidentally when I ran into bit of a pickle, when I researching recolors to do, I couldn't find a suitable one for red (Or rather one that blends well), so I took the idea of the Luigi's mansion 2 multiplayer Luigi and made a red version of that, the blue one you see is also based on that, you also see that costume in Smash 4 as well, and of course, there's flying Luigi to add to this to balance out the green team without going too green.

These Recolors:

I can guarantee that some people will stumble upon the thread, see these costumes, then immediately try and seek them out in the vault, only to not find them and also end up finding slightly different ones, you may have noticed that with Mario, and other characters in the future, that I went and made my own, I'm also revamping textures from the vault here and there, of course I plan to give credit to each and every person and will also get permission if I can before making any updates/posts to regarding them! Here's a list of the costumes I made for this build specifically (I'll update this as I go along!):

:
- Green Mario
- Teal Mario
- Flying Mario

:
- Orange Luigi
- Smash 4 Yellow Luigi
- Ice Luigi
- Flying Luigi
- Red Luigi
- Smash 4 Blue Luigi

Just to clarify, I remade some from scratch, I know people will say "Oh but there's already a teal version! Or a Flying version on the vault!" but sometimes they can be too bright, or little details like the buttons are colored over, hence my reasons for redoing them!

That took longer than I thought but I hope that explains a few things and as always I hope you like!
These look wonderful, and I really appreciate the more cohesive set of recolors and alts you're going for this time around. It's also a good pose and the stocks are really impressive. Are those really only 16 colors or whatever they're supposed to be?

P-Breaker

Smash Cadet

These Recolors:

:
- Green Mario
- Teal Mario
- Flying Mario

:
- Orange Luigi
- Smash 4 Yellow Luigi
- Ice Luigi
- Flying Luigi
- Red Luigi
- Smash 4 Blue Luigi

Looks amazing, you see immediatly that those are made with quality.

Last edited:

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace

These Recolors:

:
- Green Mario
- Teal Mario
- Flying Mario

:
- Orange Luigi
- Smash 4 Yellow Luigi
- Ice Luigi
- Flying Luigi
- Red Luigi
- Smash 4 Blue Luigi

That pose shouldve been used in smash4. Those look great, but a question. Am i allowed to use your csps in my build?

zeldude

Smash Rookie
I, for some reason, noticed a little change that could be done to luigi's pockets. There are 3 little dots that are yellow on every costume. I, personally, think the pocket colors should fit. Sorry if this is nitpicking but I hope you put this into consideration!

Middleman97

Smash Apprentice
These look sick codex. I also ran into someone using your Dr. Mario CSPs at a local tourney, which was pretty cool.

CopynPasteKevin

Smash Cadet
NNID
CopynPaste
PROJECT M 3.6 BETA RELEASED
NOW CODEX HAS TO MAKE COLORS FOR WARIOMAN

Last edited:

Hedgie

Smash Apprentice
Not a fan of Luigi, but these renders look way better than the original Smash 4 poses. Can't wait to use these in the Project M 3.6 Beta that released out an hour ago

I gotta be honest with you, I'm not seeing where you came across the idea that everyone can use 14 costumes. Every developer I've seen touch on the subject mentions they could have added up to 16 but didnt because they couldnt find a way to implement it that didnt break a lot of things.

If you know something we dont, please enlighten us. I'm always having trouble picking just the right character slots because I'm limited in numbers.

The_Guide

Smash Journeyman
Out of curiosity, would you consider making the Mr. L recolours in your style as an optional download? Perhaps after you've released the main build, so that it doesn't push the release back?

MagicManNo9

These look wonderful, and I really appreciate the more cohesive set of recolors and alts you're going for this time around. It's also a good pose and the stocks are really impressive. Are those really only 16 colors or whatever they're supposed to be?
Thanks Ledge! I'm trying to aim for making things more cohesive by taking into accoutn poses, icons and colors so thank you! As for Cbliss I still need to look into some details beforehand!

Looks amazing, you see immediatly that those are made with quality.
I try to aim to get the best style when creating CSPs so it seems to be to the case, so thank you very much!

@ MagicManNo9 MagicManNo9 This is awesome! Excellent!
And as always thank you man! Will keep pushing hard on everything!

That pose shouldve been used in smash4. Those look great, but a question. Am i allowed to use your csps in my build?
Thanks! You can if you so desire! Some of the costumes have not released yet though!

I, for some reason, noticed a little change that could be done to luigi's pockets. There are 3 little dots that are yellow on every costume. I, personally, think the pocket colors should fit. Sorry if this is nitpicking but I hope you put this into consideration!
I'll take note! (No promises but I'll look into it!)

These look sick codex. I also ran into someone using your Dr. Mario CSPs at a local tourney, which was pretty cool.
If you see that guy again tell him I said thanks! That's such an awesome feeling so I'm glad to hear this so much!

PROJECT M 3.6 BETA RELEASED
NOW CODEX HAS TO MAKE COLORS FOR WARIOMAN
I'll have to give it a shot then!

Not a fan of Luigi, but these renders look way better than the original Smash 4 poses. Can't wait to use these in the Project M 3.6 Beta that released out an hour ago
Glad you like!

I gotta be honest with you, I'm not seeing where you came across the idea that everyone can use 14 costumes. Every developer I've seen touch on the subject mentions they could have added up to 16 but didnt because they couldnt find a way to implement it that didnt break a lot of things.

If you know something we dont, please enlighten us. I'm always having trouble picking just the right character slots because I'm limited in numbers.
I'm only basing it on what mewtwo2000 said a while back with release of Cbliss, I've not gotten around to testing a lot of things yet as I've been trying to get everything noted down and wait for a bunch of things to be released beforehand, it's quite hard as I've said rather than trying to rush things, all I know is that it's mewtwo2000 stated it's possible and a worked around is still being worked on? I'm aware the current Cbliss release for 3.5 is still at 10, will need to confirm with Mewtwo2000 in that case to see what's going to happen if there is plans for another CBliss release or not.

Even if it isn't possible I'll work around with 10 and release packs and so forth! So it all depends!

Out of curiosity, would you consider making the Mr. L recolours in your style as an optional download? Perhaps after you've released the main build, so that it doesn't push the release back?
Depends, I may to but we'll have to see!

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
Thanks Ledge! I'm trying to aim for making things more cohesive by taking into accoutn poses, icons and colors so thank you! As for Cbliss I still need to look into some details beforehand!

I try to aim to get the best style when creating CSPs so it seems to be to the case, so thank you very much!

And as always thank you man! Will keep pushing hard on everything!

Thanks! You can if you so desire! Some of the costumes have not released yet though!

I'll take note! (No promises but I'll look into it!)

If you see that guy again tell him I said thanks! That's such an awesome feeling so I'm glad to hear this so much!

I'll have to give it a shot then!

Glad you like!

I'm only basing it on what mewtwo2000 said a while back with release of Cbliss, I've not gotten around to testing a lot of things yet as I've been trying to get everything noted down and wait for a bunch of things to be released beforehand, it's quite hard as I've said rather than trying to rush things, all I know is that it's mewtwo2000 stated it's possible and a worked around is still being worked on? I'm aware the current Cbliss release for 3.5 is still at 10, will need to confirm with Mewtwo2000 in that case to see what's going to happen if there is plans for another CBliss release or not.

Even if it isn't possible I'll work around with 10 and release packs and so forth! So it all depends!

Depends, I may to but we'll have to see!
YES! I CAN USE THE CSPS!

MagicManNo9

Just a couple of random screencaps of the CSPs/BPs and Icons will look in game:

EDIT: The CSPs will be using Ondo's compressed CSP method, right now just showing visually what it looks like.

Last edited:

UltimateHylian

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yorch2296
3DS FC
1650-2285-2395
This is looking beautiful, Codex! The stock icons are really amazing and high quality. I'M SO HYPED!

MagicManNo9

This is looking beautiful, Codex! The stock icons are really amazing and high quality. I'M SO HYPED!
Thank you good sir! I promise to continue trying my best!

Also I know there are people who wanted to play 3.6 with these CSPs and can only play with spefic ones, don't worry, I got ya covered:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7dv43ifayujsa37/Luigi PM 3.6 Pack.rar?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uh9qp4ow8s2lkjy/Mario PM 3.6 Pack.rar?dl=0

These are for PM 3.6 Beta only, they include... all the CSPs, BPs and Icons for Mario and Luigi

Random CSPs from the pack so people who scroll down will see this! Enjoy!

EDIT: Another thing to note is that Mr L's textures have been updated in 3.6 so I rendered him again! Partially the reason why I went and rolled with making a PM pack for Mario/Luigi, in any case I hope you all like!

Last edited:

Charby

Smash Journeyman
Great Work as Usual.
I've been following this project since the begining, for your build my advice would be to go Character by Character and when you are done confirm it and move on. I have seen you redo CSP or make a new pose quite often, I know the need to be perfect but maybe you should completed a v1 version first and then go from this. It should be easier than to get a perfect version from the get go.

Marsephel

Smash Rookie
I have to agree. While I love seeing your progress, and I understand not wanting to rush the product, we haven't seen even a single build in over a year since you started this project, and I've been following it since the very beginning. I hope this doesn't anger you, but waiting on cbliss to update based on a single comment with unconfirmed information seems odd. And we have seen multiple revisions of some CSP's without ever seeing others from certain characters. Perhaps you should put together a 10 costume beta pack, and release updates as you continue to improve. You planned this before 3.5 was even on the radar, and 3.6 has already released before a single version of your pack, causing even more work to need to be done.I have respected your desire to make a top quality product, but you could still do so without leading fans of your work on for months and months. I've been wanting to say this for a while, however I understand you are a single person, and a very talented artist with a very strong desire to put out the best possible work. I doubt anyone following this would not continue to follow your work for a better product even if you released a beta pack. I am a big fan, and I have considered giving up on following this multiple times because of the agonizing wait. While I understand the waiting isn't near as difficult as the work making it, please remember checking this daily is also very exhausting. We are a week away from the one year mark, at least consider this.

No disrespect intended, amazing work Codex.

Last edited:

MagicManNo9

This will be the only and last release, the current one being developed and posting in packs, and shall be retiring from modding as a whole once I'm done. And please remember how many hours a day I spend trying to work on things, not just this project, but others as well.

I'm going to sound rude here but checking a thread isn't as exhausting as trying to put together a build on your own, hours of spending trying to fix up textures, working on models, rigging fixes, rendering for a whole day for one character, screwing up something and re-doing until I get it right, even moreso with stock icons in the mix I take great offense to that, it reminds me of how people rushed the release of PM 3.5 only to complain about various issues with it, I really don't want to deal with that after this release, that's why I'm taking a lot of time working on it and just getting right.

I spent a lot of time learning and trying to help the community and wanted to spend more time getting involved, picking up new ways to improve things and lots to work on, there are amazing people who were willing to let spend time to learn and I tried to get better and better. I take so much time away from my own IRL time and from the the build to do as much as possible.

I understand the frustration of wanting a release right away, but I will say there were lots of builds out there, I posted so many CSPs and BPs on the front page back then so people can use them rather than waiting and waiting constantly, picking up ideas and trying to research ways of trying to get the right flow working, I originally made this build out of stress, to take my mind of a lot things, and now it's reversed and that really upsets me, and the one time I felt I was track with releasing the Mario and Luigi CSPs people are now assuming I'm going to restart again at some point.

I suppose I'm just angry and upset that after a whole year of working hard, dealing with a lot of health problems over the course of the year that I feel the amount of hours spent trying to learn and get better in modding and staying up late was not worth it, not one bit, specially for my health, and that is probably true, this was a build made for fun but I now feel completely tired.

I feel that no one takes this into account anymore after so many times of saying, I apologies for sounding horrible but I will be taking my time with this and thankful to those that have helped me along the way and inspired me, and those that were patient, I do apologize again and again for delaying it, this "version" will be the first and last, with the PM CSPs and BPs bonus added as well.

I'm probably repeating myself but I'm actually very upset by this, as sad and silly as that sounds.

Last edited:

Marsephel

Smash Rookie
Well, I have to say, I was not aware that you had no intention to make future releases post the official build. You do stick to your guns, and you've handled many nickpickers (myself at times) very well. Best of luck on finishing the build, and I hope your future endeavors post release are less stressful for you. Thanks for all the hard work, we'll be beyond appreciative when it is complete.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for releasing everything little biy little, I will be sure to download all of your CSP's in appreciation of your hard work.

TheBearsFist

Smash Cadet
Hey Codex

I love your work man. Seems like you really genuinely care about this project and thats awesome to see.

I know it takes a heap of time out of your life but is there anyway you could get some other modders on board?

I myself would be happy to help in anyway I can (limited experience but I'm an arts student. Is that even a legit qualification?). Theytah or SJS might be interested in helping too.

I love what you have created and the appreciate the hours you have put into this project. Way to go!

Last edited:
Top Bottom