• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Ceases Development: v3.6 To Be Final Release

We report this news to you today with a heavy heart. As announced on the official Project M website, development for the game has been finished. Project M v3.6 will be the last release of Project M. Here is the official statement from the development team.

---​
Hello friends,

Six years ago, we started a journey born out of our shared love for competitive fighting games. Eventually, the electrifying passion that coursed through us arced out and drew in more people until our small circle of friends grew into a team, and that team grew into an international community. Project M and its community have grown larger than any of us ever anticipated, and it’s truly heartwarming to see all of the unforgettable connections and friendships that have been forged through this project.

Unfortunately, we’re here to say that we’re at the end of that road.

We’ve learned so much in the process of making Project M—accumulating life-changing lessons in communication, team work, professionalism, work ethic, and more—but there’s only so far we can take those skills in a volunteer project. With this in mind, we’ve made a difficult business decision: We’re ready to finish development here and move on to bigger and better ventures.

We realize that this will come as a shock to many of our fans. Please, forgive us. Again, it’s been an excruciating call to make, but it’s been made a bit easier by our satisfaction with the previous and final release, v3.6. We’ve spent six years polishing Project M, and rather than let it drag on through another several years of dwindling development and change-fatigue in the competitive circle, we’re going to consider our work complete.

In the mean time, we plan to be hard at work on new projects, built from the ground up. We can’t spill the beans just yet, but know that we’re looking towards a fresh start with brand new designs. Rather than splitting our focus, many of us want to dedicate ourselves to this new venture fully. In this way, we hope to maintain the level of quality and professionalism you’ve come to expect from us.

In summary, we are ceasing development of Project M (effective immediately) and will be making no further releases as we turn our attention towards an entirely new venture. As the PMDev team will be formally disbanded, please forward all official communications regarding Project M to video game attorney and business consultant Ryan Morrison. We appreciate your support and your understanding.

One final time,

PMDev

Thank you for playing!

---​

What does this mean for the future of Project M at tournaments? What exciting project could the Project M team be up to next? Let us know in the comments below and share your favorite memories from the game's various releases. From Demo 1.0 to v3.6 it has been an incredible ride and we at Smashboards wish the Project M Development Team the best of luck in all future adventures.

Writer's Note: Hey guys, SmashCapps here. I know this has some folks sad and shaken up but I wanted to make sure everyone knows that Project M no longer being updated was not because a cease and desist.

Hope that clears things up! Thanks for reading as always everyone!

Last edited:

Comments

I'm really not sure what to say, other than that I just recently got into PM and I think it's a damn fine game.

Thanks for everything you've done, PMDT, and I wish you the best in future!

Very upsetting news. They did a lot of amazing work.

However, their actions after ceasing development are very anti-consumer, IMO. Leaving us completely in the dark is no way to treat your supporters. Especially when doing so casts doubt on the claim that this wasn't a C&D.

However, that may not be the PMDT's fault. If there really was a C&D, then there would probably be NDAs too.

Well, I never had Project M, but wanted it, once 3.6 comes out could someone send me a download or something?

Looks like its time to blame Nintendo... Is it?

I was just expecting for the Roy Custom... And nothing..

Back in the day I thought I'd never play Smash with Mewtwo again but then PM appeared... Thank you guys.

I am saddened by this piece of news. Project M was one of my favorite games and I will miss the amazing costumes, game play and stages created by the PMDT.

On a separate note, the PM twitter page hadn't been updated in a week, which was unusual as they would always talk about upcoming streams.

And fans are putting the files on Mediafire on 3, 2, 1... Nothing truly leaves the internet. I'm sure people can still experience PM for the first time, even after the cancellation.

I fully understand the decision, as working on a mod for several years can get pretty tiresome. However, with the knowledge the team now has, I'm sure they can do something great on their own.

I am extremely upset because Nintendo HAD to be involved. Everything is WAY to sucspicous. If you want a download link, I will make one later today! Look for that on this post!
I'm going to make a post somewhere to supply the download link. I'll link that post later today when upload project m 3.6 on mediafire

I wouldn't be concerned about this development killing PM outright. It's been a pseudo-underground venture since its inception, especially since Nintendo blackballed streaming way back when. The community will continue to grow and thrive, and the game will develop until it either withers away of old age and disinterest (unlikely, considering Melee's still going strong due to its grassroots dedication, though the endorsement from Nintendo does help) or another game replaces it in the public eye (maybe whatever the PMDT has up their magical wizard sleeves?).

I'm more concerned with how uncertain this entire thing has been and how nobody's willing to talk. It raises more questions than answers, and I don't think that's good for anybody involved's reputation.

I must say that I am said to see Project M being finalized. There where much that I was looking forward to (in terms of just costumes anyway) and do wish they got some form of positive recognition from Nintendo or Masahiro Sakurai - just even a "Hey, I see what you guys are doing. Looks nice!" would be a major victory. But instead of focusing on the negative, I would much prefer seeing the positive.

Looking back, I only heard of Project M recently; about 2 years if I am remembering carefully. It was around this time I was developing a Smash Scene in the after-school program at my high school. When I first introduced it to them, they were some mixed feels - though none truly negative. But after some time, we have grown to love it alot! Now there are days when I visit them and some ask if I have my copy of PM or if I would fixed one of their copies.

Project M has and always will hold a special place in my heart as a smash player. I wish the PM Dev team the best of luck in their future endeavours and hope to support them where ever and whatever they put their energy into next.

Well, I guess that the game had it's time... I guess they just didn't want to have legal action taken against them... Oh well, at least we still have Brawl Vault, BrawlBox and Project SmashAttacks for Brawl.

Even though I got started during 3.0 and I don't play it anymore, I'm still really sad to see them stopping. My scene loves PM and I really don't want to see it go. #ThankYouPMDT

Oh boy, this is so unclear that now people will just blame nintendo for everything and we will get silly internet warrior crusades to boycott Nintendo... great... :|

In the other hand, shame PM hast to stop but I respect the drive to move on to better and more original things wich will actually feed them. Best of luck PMDT!

Don't give up keep hosting 3.6 and play what you like melee was never supported by our dev team and we are living so fight for your game don't let it die
#GG

Last edited:
AND I.................

*ahem* All memes aside, this is pretty disappointing. I wanted to play as Knuckles in a future update, but oh well.

We're going about this all wrong.

There will be no more updates? That doesn't mean anything. Sure, it's sad, but PM doesn't die until the community says so. So, the question is:

Now that we have the final release, will we just let the game die?

Rest In Peace...

At least everything is set in stone, maybe we will have time to actually form a metagame now *shrug*

Last edited:
I don't particularly care about Project M. I've never played it, nor did I ever intend to. That said, something doesn't seem right here...

Nintendo has known about PM for quite a while. We know this, they acknowledged it at E3 last year. In fact, the reason they never mentioned it specifically so they could avoid shutting them down. If they wanted to stop PM, why wouldn't they have already done it? If they thought it was effecting Sm4sh sales, why did they leave it alone so long after the game came out?

In short, why now?

Personally I disagree with this decision, but it seems strange to just abruptly rip everything down and say they're "ceasing development" instead of saying they're reaching the finalization or something. They could have built up to as a goodbye, but they just sort of packed up and said "Bye." Hope future projects go well however.
The decision probably wasn't up to them. This reeks of legal issues.

Project M lied to us about working on a PAL port. So I feel nothing about what happened. They burned the PAL fans of their Project M, so they deserve to be burnt in turn by Nintendo.
They didn't lie about it. They ran into technical issues and most of the people working on the Pal version weren't on the team anymore.

It would be awesome if Nintendo bought their concepts and ended the program so we can get some Project M-inspired DLC like alternate costumes and new modes for this next update.

You know what else pisses me off? Nintendo was getting money from this! People would buy brawl just for Project M so it's not like this project was interfering with sales, it was boosting them!
Well actually, Nintendo no longer produces the game and so anyone would have to buy a used copy of Brawl, and the developers make no money off of used copies of games.

Last edited:
I hope they won't... Smash 4 isn't like Brawl so it doesn't need a mod IMO
Exactly.
Smash 4 have awful ledge mechanics and everybody is great at recovery = worse air combat in the franchise.
Smash4 is the groundest Smash game, with that damn tilt strings and bnb combos from throw everywhere. Projectiles are almost useless too, so let's take out a portion of gameplay, because why not ?I
t's because isn't like Brawl that we need a mod.

I had to much fun emulating and adding the Melee experience with P:M, and I can only dream have a great game as P:M emulating my Brawl experience.

The hypocrisy is real. The same individuals who are mourning for this game are those who spat in the faces of Brawl when it phased out. Honestly is a load of crap.

It would be awesome if Nintendo bought their concepts and ended the program so we can get some Project M-inspired DLC like alternate costumes and new modes for this next update.

Well actually, Nintendo no longer produces the game and so anyone would have to buy a used copy of Brawl, and the developers make no money off of used copies of games.
*sigh* I guess... I'm just genuinely upset right now

Wow....
Rest in peace.... My favorite game....
Sincere thanks to the Project M team.

You will be missed, good luck in your future.

You sure about that? Early this year i bought my own copy of it after having borrowed a copy that stopped working from my friend for years. And the one i got was a not pre owned Nintendo Selects edition.

Last edited:
Top Bottom