• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Ceases Development: v3.6 To Be Final Release

We report this news to you today with a heavy heart. As announced on the official Project M website, development for the game has been finished. Project M v3.6 will be the last release of Project M. Here is the official statement from the development team.

---​
Hello friends,

Six years ago, we started a journey born out of our shared love for competitive fighting games. Eventually, the electrifying passion that coursed through us arced out and drew in more people until our small circle of friends grew into a team, and that team grew into an international community. Project M and its community have grown larger than any of us ever anticipated, and it’s truly heartwarming to see all of the unforgettable connections and friendships that have been forged through this project.

Unfortunately, we’re here to say that we’re at the end of that road.

We’ve learned so much in the process of making Project M—accumulating life-changing lessons in communication, team work, professionalism, work ethic, and more—but there’s only so far we can take those skills in a volunteer project. With this in mind, we’ve made a difficult business decision: We’re ready to finish development here and move on to bigger and better ventures.

We realize that this will come as a shock to many of our fans. Please, forgive us. Again, it’s been an excruciating call to make, but it’s been made a bit easier by our satisfaction with the previous and final release, v3.6. We’ve spent six years polishing Project M, and rather than let it drag on through another several years of dwindling development and change-fatigue in the competitive circle, we’re going to consider our work complete.

In the mean time, we plan to be hard at work on new projects, built from the ground up. We can’t spill the beans just yet, but know that we’re looking towards a fresh start with brand new designs. Rather than splitting our focus, many of us want to dedicate ourselves to this new venture fully. In this way, we hope to maintain the level of quality and professionalism you’ve come to expect from us.

In summary, we are ceasing development of Project M (effective immediately) and will be making no further releases as we turn our attention towards an entirely new venture. As the PMDev team will be formally disbanded, please forward all official communications regarding Project M to video game attorney and business consultant Ryan Morrison. We appreciate your support and your understanding.

One final time,

PMDev

Thank you for playing!

---​

What does this mean for the future of Project M at tournaments? What exciting project could the Project M team be up to next? Let us know in the comments below and share your favorite memories from the game's various releases. From Demo 1.0 to v3.6 it has been an incredible ride and we at Smashboards wish the Project M Development Team the best of luck in all future adventures.

Writer's Note: Hey guys, SmashCapps here. I know this has some folks sad and shaken up but I wanted to make sure everyone knows that Project M no longer being updated was not because a cease and desist.

Hope that clears things up! Thanks for reading as always everyone!

Last edited:

Comments

Project M really filled me with a lot of fun on an already excellent game like Brawl and it made it infinitely more replayable due to the customization and good balance with it's characters. Plus adding Mewtwo & Roy was a huge bonus. and it also gave me the most fun version of Snake i have played.

Project M, you will be missed, old friend :urg:

I don't think I'd still be invested in competitive smash if not for me and my friends trying out Project M when demo 2.0 dropped. Trying to work your way through Melee's SoCal scene was a crapshoot, and we jumped at the chance to enter something new and exciting. I would repeat this same rationale when I dropped it for Smash 4, hoping I could someday go back to PM. I'm sure I still could, but I feel for PM's diehard fans.

I wish the dev team the best of luck in future endeavors. They really went the distance in crafting a unique experience. Every stage, every taunt, every skin built from a genuine love for Nintendo and its franchises, you don't see this dedication often.

Last edited:
Boycott nintendo!!!

Actually on second thought nintendo isnt to blame. But its sounded an awfuly fishy at first.

Last edited:
Right... Even though I came in relatively late on the PM train I enjoyed every little bit of it that I experienced. Many things drew me to this mod, but the biggest factor was the PMDTs attention to detail and balance that is often overlooked in the official Super Smash Bros. Series. Even though I might have had my differences, and got into a few too many petty arguments with members, I do hope that no matter where each member goes, it leads to bigger and better things. I'm actually a lot more sad about this than I thought I'd ever be in all honesty... This may sound corny but, you never TRULY know what's lost until you have to reflect when its gone and I hope this isn't the last we've seen of the "PMDT".

yeah I'm doubting a whole lot of things here

"we didn't get dealt anything legally, which is why we're taking off all official downloads and cutting off all development immediately"

This has got to be a cease and desist. Lawyer? No download link? No going into detail? Jesus.

If it was, **** Nintendo. The moment someone else puts effort into something fixes what you never could, THEN you'll freak out about it, meanwhile you'll stick all kind of unbalanced, ****ty physics, and the least amount of effort available into Smash 4. ****ing hell.

actually, note how specific they are w/ not saying "legal matters" as a whole

like how twitch was never against PM, but seemingly nudged everyone off a cliff regardless, right?

It's certainly unfortunate but we all knew this was coming sooner or later. I salute you all, the work you've done for the community has been unparalleled. Best wishes to everything else you all try to do, and good luck in your personal lives.

does anyone have a link to where we can download v3.6 since the site won't allow us any longer? the hackless and modded versions, and the wifi sets as well?

Project M was the game that got me playing Smash Bros in the first place. PM will continue being my favorite and most enjoyable Smash game to play. I wish you guys the best and thank you for making such an awesome game.

I am extremely upset because Nintendo HAD to be involved. Everything is WAY to sucspicous. If you want a download link, I will make one later today! Look for that on this post!

This was almost certainly a C&D. It was too sudden and the PMDT had far to much planned for future versions as well as some alt costumes to be released as patches for this version as well as all download links being removed. If this is indeed the case then Nintendo has some serious backlash coming their way.

Last edited:
It had the balance Melee needed, the physics Brawl needed, and was getting the variety sm4sh had.
Truly my favorite smash, even if it was an unofficial mod. The only game to give my favorite characters a fair shake. And now... it's all gone.
Thank you, PMDT, for all your hard work and giving m the fun I've had for the last 2 years...
F

Thanks for everything PMDT. Project M is the best mod I've ever played, and I'll still definitely play it for years to come. I'm excited to see what you have in store next, so don't let me down. ✌

Last edited:
what is gonna be really insulting is if during the smash focused nintendo direct, nintendo mentions they are releasing "new original gameplay modes, costumes, and other great features" as DLC, and said DLC is essentially everything they've seized from the P:M team. From a melee gameplay mode, turbo mode, and character changes/taunts straight from PM in these "special modes"

Last edited:
What a load of BS.

Thanks Nintendo for running the game that literally got me into smash to the ground.

Can you **** please go back to not being involved in this community

thank you PM. You were the first game I've ever went to a tourney for and took seriously. I got rekted, but that was the most fun I've had for awhile. I remember scrambling on google to find twitch streams for more gameplay and researching some data here.

This isn't a goodbye, but rather a toast to the future. I will support whatever future projects you guys engulf yourself in. May it be even better than PM.

User was warned for this post
You would think that if nintendo didnt want unofficial mods to ruin sales, they would make better games than a group of unpaid teenagers. Not to discredit the pmbr.

Last edited:
Question is the download link for 3.6 gone forever as well
Yes, I believe anything under the project m domain now brings the message up, but links for the download have been posted (not sure if I'm allowed to put them here, but there are a couple of links on reddit)

All the Nintendo salt here is ridiculous.

Last I checked, Nintendo is the company that came up with the concept of putting a whole bunch of characters from hit games into a nontraditional fighting game.

However much you may not like some of the things Nintendo has done, Nintendo is still the only reason any of us are on here playing and discussing Super Smash Brothers in the first place. Try to keep that in mind when you want to rant about how "awful" you think they are...

This is the worst thing of the year. I actually wanted another version with the leaked characters, anyway... I'll continue playing melee and PM until the end of my days.

Last I checked, Nintendo is the company that came up with the concept of putting a whole bunch of characters from hit games into a nontraditional fighting game.

However much you may not like some of the things Nintendo has done, Nintendo is still the only reason any of us are on here playing and discussing Super Smash Brothers in the first place. Try to keep that in mind when you want to rant about how "awful" you think they are...
While very suspicious, according to https://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/3v3inm/pmdt_announces_disbandment/cxk1507 nintendo did not do anything

What the actual ****?
Look, I may not have been particularly fond of this game, and I might not have touched it for a couple of years now. But come on now, this mod had so much sweat and heart poured into it, and now they have to just stop? Even though they had so much planned out?
If Nintendo is forcing them, then I have to say that I am completely appalled.
Good luck to all of the developers of this game. I seriously hope that, although unlikely, Nintendo is making something positive out of this for you all.

Brawl Minus master race.

Project M is not gone and all, but man it is disappointing given their amazing plans they had for the next patch and those gorgeous costumes.

While what you are saying may be true that does not make Nintendo some infallible being that is exempt from criticism.

The circumstances surrounding this almost certainly scream "Nintendo legal action!" and if this is indeed the case then they have serious backlash facing them. Also if we used your logic, every time a developer ****ed up we'd all just say "We can't criticize because without them we wouldn't even have a game" and the developers could just do whatever they want without anybody questioning it. If Nintendo was indeed involved then this is a monumental **** up on their part that will only serve to further damage their relationship with the Smash community.

Top Bottom