• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Back Room Releases Blog Post on v3.5, Recoveries

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I have no idea how you'd find a good medium concerning that. In Melee it was more-or-less never used because of the extreme requirements for you to actually be able to wall-jump out of it. That being you had to be close to a wall, and Melee never felt like giving you the satisfaction of being next to a wall in its eyes.

Make it like a frame-perfect thing as soon as you hit the wall, maybe?
If you make the wall jump more difficult, it essentially serves as a unneeded technical barrier to mario's play.

Either the effectiveness needs to be decreased or the effectiveness of his other options need to be decreased.

It's going to be a tough road.

This update could be what makes or breaks project M to be honest.

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
The second point makes me think that they've figured out the 1 frame thing in the physics... As for recoveries go I hope everything goes well...

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
My guess is:
  • All tethers will reel in a little slower, but not by much. Possibly nerfed to only 1 or 2 tethers per airtime.
  • Hitboxes on Z tethers completely reworked to not be used as offensive powerhouses.
  • Almost all UpBs will have a bit more landing lag. This will encourage people to try and sweet spot even more often, and make attempts to recover high even more risky.
  • Diddy loses random barrels and some height on UpB
  • Mario's cape nerfed to Docs. Timing on UpB double jump possibly tweaked.
  • Mewtwo can't hover out of teleport. Could possibly lose his 2nd jump.
  • Lucas's Magnet will only shift momentum once while in the air. More like Marth's SideB or Ivy's Dair.
  • Squirtle's Waterfall hitboxes nerfed and Aqua Jet reworked. Aerial Bubble might stall a bit more to compensate (wishful thinking).
  • Pit can't SideB again if he uses it from the ground as well as from the air.
  • Ike can only walljump out of Quickdraw once per airtime instead of 2.
  • Height of GnWs UpB slightly decreased.
  • Sonic can only Homing Attack 1 or 2 times per airtime.

qwillinallthefish

Smash Rookie
NNID
qwillinthefish
I'm glad of this. Maybe some of the recovery haters meleetists will stop complaining about PM now. Improvements are always welcomed in my book :211:

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
I just want Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard getting their own Final Smashes and be able to use the Final Smash by pressing A+B or any button that doesn't block my standard special.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
The second point makes me think that they've figured out the 1 frame thing in the physics...
I hope that doesn't get changed. If it does, I'll have to find a new main. (I can't consistently shorthop with characters of a 3 frame jumpstart, Roy has 4 so if it gets reduced...)

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Welcome to the "I hope the pmbr nerfs everybody except my main" thread.

AKA the "My proposed changes didn't make it in and I hate PM now so I'm going to complain about it instead of playing the game" thread.

Miku Boy

Smash Rookie
NNID
SmashingNerd
3DS FC
3411-1839-5347
I see a good thing and a bad thing about this.

Good: Their goal is to balance or refocus out the mod.
Bad: This might hurt some people's mains in the long run.

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
Every one is being nerfed is a conspiracy theory, if every one is nerfed that will balance out the new comer Pichu then they will make Pichu the best in the game, I fear what the Smash Illuminati will do to me after saying this, if you dont hear back from me I just wanted to let you all know I loved you all

xSTx

Smash Cadet
So many sarcastic comments, characters like Yoshi will not be getting a recovery nerf, just the ridicoulous recoveries such as Link and Pit.

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
Hardly anyone even uses Yoshi, so I doubt he'd be a focus point.

Ness on the other hand has what feels to be better than even Brawl Lucas PKT2. So he may have a nerfed range.

I agree with nerfing those with crazy range, plus it may bring more Melee players to PM and that I welcome greatly.

Last edited:

FumiQyn

Banned via Warnings
Okay sorry but I just noticed this and this is rediculous lol. Both posts have just as much context as the other, it doesn't make sense to give him a warning, like seriously.
yeah they're very touchy about they're rules here

Last edited:

xSTx

Smash Cadet
Hardly anyone even uses Yoshi, so I doubt he'd be a focus point.

Ness on the other hand has what feels to be better than even Brawl Lucas PKT2. So he may have a nerfed range.

I agree with nerfing those with crazy range, plus it may bring more Melee players to PM and that I welcome greatly.
I do play Yoshi and it would be great if the characters such as Link and Pit got a recovery nerf. My character takes a great deal of skill to get back on the stage with and my options all have a risk and reward factor.

I won't go in depth with everything Yoshi can do but I'll list two examples.

1. Know Yoshi's up b doesn't give him any height or distance increase, so I have to be smart with my double jump. If I'm not careful I can easily be gimped.

2. If I'm lucky enough to grab the edge I have few tricks. The idea is I do not have as many ledge options as other characters but I have a higher double jump than any character.

coopreme

Smash Cadet
My guess is:
  • All tethers will reel in a little slower, but not by much. Possibly nerfed to only 1 or 2 tethers per airtime.
  • Hitboxes on Z tethers completely reworked to not be used as offensive powerhouses.
  • Almost all UpBs will have a bit more landing lag. This will encourage people to try and sweet spot even more often, and make attempts to recover high even more risky.
  • Diddy loses random barrels and some height on UpB
  • Mario's cape nerfed to Docs. Timing on UpB double jump possibly tweaked.
  • Mewtwo can't hover out of teleport. Could possibly lose his 2nd jump.
  • Lucas's Magnet will only shift momentum once while in the air. More like Marth's SideB or Ivy's Dair.
  • Squirtle's Waterfall hitboxes nerfed and Aqua Jet reworked. Aerial Bubble might stall a bit more to compensate (wishful thinking).
  • Pit can't SideB again if he uses it from the ground as well as from the air.
  • Ike can only walljump out of Quickdraw once per airtime instead of 2.
  • Height of GnWs UpB slightly decreased.
  • Sonic can only Homing Attack 1 or 2 times per airtime.
These ideas are the reason people don't want to switch to PM... and they stated specifically about a metagame developing... All of your guesses are just how to make everyone worse? No way they will touch Sonic's homing or squirt

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
These ideas are the reason people don't want to switch to PM... and they stated specifically about a metagame developing... All of your guesses are just how to make everyone worse? No way they will touch Sonic's homing or squirt
I love Squirtle as much as the next guy (I found a couple neat tricks that I've shared with the boards here) but if they are reworking and balancing recoveries, everything is going to be nerfs.

And how would limiting the number of homing attacks per air time be such a bad nerf? The only thing it would stop people from doing is spamming it under the stage and stalling. Combo chains usually only use 1-2 homing attacks at most anyways.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Guys! I know how to fix the recovery issue! Bring back F.L.U.D.D. to gimp their recoveries! It's pure genius!

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
While I'm glad recoveries are being nerfed so the general speed of the game will be drastically sped up, I'm also a bit sad. It's almost guaranteed that my main Link is going to be hit with a recovery nerf since he has crazy recovery options.

I seriously doubt they're going to hit any characters with already bad recoveries as it makes no sense and are instead are going to hit the best recovery characters with a load of options like Mario, Link and maybe Ivysaur. Those are just a few I know with really good recoveries on the top of my head.
Woah... what? Ivysaur only option is a tether we all know how force jumps can be punished. Yeah, it's long reaching but it's predictable. I also believe dair only slows momentum after two uses. See her on the average to weaker side of recoveries only because her up b is so long.

I don't see Link getting touched either. A lot of his tricks are needed for him to not be low tier. Meta Knight doesn't have to glide to recover, but he can. Link nearly has to AGT to come back from horizontal trajectories.

I agree that Mario is going to get looked at for a nerf but not as much as people who can glide like Meta Knight, Pit, and Charizard or characters like Mewtwo and Diddy Kong. Samus has amazing recovery, too, and between bomb jump stalls, a solid up b, floatyness and great air control and one of the longest tethers in the game I amaze no one complains about her. Hell charge shot not only pushes you in the opposite direction but stalls your drop speed.

Defile

Smash Apprentice
So what? Nerf everyone? What about the characters with lackluster recoveries like Falco and Squirtle? What about Fox? Will his recovery get nerfed?
I'm pretty sure they're only talking about characters with "broken" recoveries, Wombat. Squirtle's recovery will probably be left alone, as it should be.

Last edited:

coopreme

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty sure they're only talking about characters with "broken" recoveries, Wombat. Squirtle's recovery will probably be left alone, as it should be.
You sir, are a gentlemen and a scholar... his recovery is fine but he still gets knocked back like crazy and has little kill moves. And by little i mean less than i would like...:yeahboi::007:

JUSTN

Smash Apprentice
I honestly think this is a mistake in some cases. A lack in ways a character can recover makes them more predictable when trying to recover, thus making edgeguarding/hogging easier for the player on-stage. This will really kill some characters who already have poor recovery to begin with.
but then there's characters like diddy where even if you try to edge guard him, you just get hit by barrels and he gets back.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
Nerfs I think are going to happen.

Universal change. after your second ledge regrab ledge stalling takes away 1 frame of invincibility each time you regrab without touching the stage.

Diddy - up b won't go as far orhe could have more end landing lag.

Zelda - up b fire hit box will have more end lag and the hit box doesn't send opponent into tumble at low percents or she could go into free fall after side B in the air. I hope its not the second one.

Mario - wall jump after up b is harder or maybe he can't up b again after you wall jump from up b. I like the second idea best.

Ike - 1 wall jump after side b (This is a possible change but i doubt its going to happen cause having 2 walljumps doesn't help him too much anyway)

pit - 1 glide per air time even if started on ground or he could loose one jump. I'd prefer he loose one jump so he can't keep carrying people to the stage boundary. as of right now he is a jigs with projectiles and a grab that leads right into stage boundary carry combo. that's a bit much. sorry armada/zero it has to be done.

Kirby and jigs have 5 air jumps MK has 4 DDD has 3 and pit would have 2

Rob - no air dodge after side b and up b

Lucas - Shorten the tether distance to the actual length of the snake.

Lucario - right now he can down b in the air then up b cancel it then down b again. They may just let him get 1 down b per air time.

Buffs i think are going to happen.

Olimar - can grab ledge with his hands if the tether portion doesn't connect like ZSS

Charizard - Less endlag after glide cancel

Jiggle4Life

Smash Ace
nooooo leave the game alone lol some characters have to be better then others, there is always going to be a best and a worse and there is no way around it

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
I'm happy. My two mains already have terrible recoveries (Bowser and Ganondorf). However, my secondaries (Charizard and Ivysaur) will probably be hurt. Well, maybe not Charizard. His recovery isn't amazing in any form of the word. (He glides so sloooooooow.)

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
I just hope the next update isn't until AFTER Big House 4. I don't want people to have to relearn all characters until after the big tourney.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I'm not too big on nerfing. I prefer buffing the weaker characters so they too can stand their ground. Let's just give everyone something completely broken and then the roster will be kinda balanced. I'm being somewhat serious here.

TheTTimeLives

Smash Cadet
I think glide's getting finite length, but having no lag when touching the ground would be a good way to balance them out. They aren't used offensively enough as it is.

With that in mind, Meta Knight needs to lose the reverse shuttle loop freebie back to the stage, lose glide attack and have very little vertical recovery on tornado (tornado could compensate by being able to stall and then continue in the air.) Zard could get glide attack getting nerfed so that it is tradeable, while eating projectiles would be fair.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Wow, there are like just 4 characters with great recoveries (:mewtwopm:,:pikachu2:,:metaknight:, :diddy:). The rest have serious weak points to them, but I guess with the Xanadu Weekly and TKBreezy saying things like "Deep Kong" as a mixed joke and people taking his word for it, this has happened. I hope the "tweaks" aren't that harmful to gameplay for the characters.

Top Bottom