• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M 3.6 Online via Dolphin Netplay Setup + Optimization Guide

Bungle

Smash Rookie
You are missing rsbe01.gct from the codes folder..
I cannot advocate anything to do with isos because officially that is illegal.
It is nice to learn how to build it as well in case PM has an update or you want the community build we are making.
Sorry yeah, I took it out when redoing everything to try and get it to work and forgot to put it back. But unfortunately I don't think that's the problem, I just put it back in the general folder with everything else and the same thing happened when I tried to make the iso :/
Hopefully we can figure this out and I wont have to break the law, but I have no clue why it's not working

Y-L

Smash Champion
I'm getting some terrible stuttering on 10 down 8 up Fios internet playing against people from the east coast. I've been double and triple checking the settings, have all the desync problems ironed out, but the game is unbearably laggy. Is there anything I can do to improve performance?
What kind of CPU/GPU do you have?

Droß

Smash Apprentice
Intel i5-2400
NVIDIA Geforce 550Ti

I can run it fine locally, played a few games with my sister yesterday with no FPS issues

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Sorry yeah, I took it out when redoing everything to try and get it to work and forgot to put it back. But unfortunately I don't think that's the problem, I just put it back in the general folder with everything else and the same thing happened when I tried to make the iso :/
Hopefully we can figure this out and I wont have to break the law, but I have no clue why it's not working
Where is your netplay set up folder stored?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Intel i5-2400
NVIDIA Geforce 550Ti
Hmm that CPU is strong enough to play well. Does the game lag while offline? Have you tried playing with more than one person? If your opponent's connection is laggy or hardware is weak then you will lag too. Does your ping spike while in game? Does it spike with everyone you play?

Droß

Smash Apprentice
Hmm that CPU is strong enough to play well. Does the game lag while offline? Have you tried playing with more than one person? If your opponent's connection is laggy or hardware is weak then you will lag too. Does your ping spike while in game? Does it spike with everyone you play?
Very easy to play it locally. I managed to get a decent connection with one of the first netplay opponents I had, but I had a wiimote on so it desynced. No connection was crystal smooth, but as I played they seemed to become unplayable, like the game had been tazed bro

Bungle

Smash Rookie
Where is your netplay set up folder stored?
The folder 'Netplay setup' is just on my desktop. It contains a folder for dolphin, a folder for winmd5 and the folder 'iso builder', where the builder, brawl and pm files are

Y-L

Smash Champion
Very easy to play it locally. I managed to get a decent connection with one of the first netplay opponents I had, but I had a wiimote on so it desynced. No connection was crystal smooth, but as I played they seemed to become unplayable, like the game had been tazed bro
Make sure you're playing with people from your region, also it could very well be your opponents fault. DL/Upload speed is kind of independent from ping. Think of it as a tube, DL/Upload is how thick the tube is (hoe much water can flow) and ping is how long the tube is.

Y-L

Smash Champion
The folder 'Netplay setup' is just on my desktop. It contains a folder for dolphin, a folder for winmd5 and the folder 'iso builder', where the builder, brawl and pm files are
You did use the homebrew full set right?

Bungle

Smash Rookie
To the best of my knowledge, yes. However I have downloaded the wifi safe option as I tried it out a while ago, so there might be a tiny chance I've got them mixed up due to weird zip file names or something. It would be really stupid if this is the issue, so to make 100% certain it's not I'm re-downloading the full set now and I'll get back to you on that. Thank you again for persevering in helping me, I really do appreciate it :)

Y-L

Smash Champion
Yup, 3.02 full set. Still the same problem :/
Hmm.. I would just try redownloading everything and starting over.. try putting the builder stuff in a different directory like my documents.. Open Dolphin and make sure SSBB is NTSC (there's an american flag on the right)

Bungle

Smash Rookie
Hmm.. I would just try redownloading everything and starting over.. try putting the builder stuff in a different directory like my documents.. Open Dolphin and make sure SSBB is NTSC (there's an american flag on the right)
There must have been something wrong with the iso, reacquired it and now it appears to be building correctly. Hopefully I wont have any more problems after this and thank you very much for your help and the guide in general! :4diddy:

Y-L

Smash Champion
There must have been something wrong with the iso, reacquired it and now it appears to be building correctly. Hopefully I wont have any more problems after this and thank you very much for your help and the guide in general! :4diddy:
No problem.

Bungle

Smash Rookie
I was hoping I wouldn't have to come back here, and this might not be the right place to ask either, but hey. I've got netplay set up and I've tried playing four people. Three of them couldn't connect to me and I couldn't connect to them, but one of them I could and we played lots of games no problem. I know for a fact that one of the people I couldn't connect to has successfully played the guy I could connect to, so I'm thinking the problem is probably on my end. However, I have no clue what it could be! Please help if you can, thanks.

Y-L

Smash Champion
I was hoping I wouldn't have to come back here, and this might not be the right place to ask either, but hey. I've got netplay set up and I've tried playing four people. Three of them couldn't connect to me and I couldn't connect to them, but one of them I could and we played lots of games no problem. I know for a fact that one of the people I couldn't connect to has successfully played the guy I could connect to, so I'm thinking the problem is probably on my end. However, I have no clue what it could be! Please help if you can, thanks.
Try what's posted in the FAQ, I'm not too keen on connection issues. Also make sure Dolphin isn't be blocked by your firewall

supreme jd

Smash Rookie
Are the parts in the recommended set up in the first post still relevant? Thinking about building a rig for netplay.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Are the parts in the recommended set up in the first post still relevant? Thinking about building a rig for netplay.
Give me a budget and I'll design a build for you.
Tell me if this setup is only for Netplay or for other pc games, if you have any spare parts, if you need any externals and any other information I might need.

Maverick

Smash Rookie
I'm having an issue booting up PM using the Netplay versions of dolphin. I followed all the instructions, checked the hash and everything. PM boots fine on 4.2, but when I try to boot it up on .652 or 648, it goes to bvlack screen for a few seconds then crashes. All the settings are matched to the one in the guide.Any ideas?

Y-L

Smash Champion
I'm having an issue booting up PM using the Netplay versions of dolphin. I followed all the instructions, checked the hash and everything. PM boots fine on 4.2, but when I try to boot it up on .652 or 648, it goes to bvlack screen for a few seconds then crashes. All the settings are matched to the one in the guide.Any ideas?
List specs please.

Maverick

Smash Rookie
These particular versions of dolphin won't open ANY games now that I tried again.

Maverick

Smash Rookie
Ugh, these versions of dolphin are completely messed up. I open it up, and click the wiimote button to make sure none are connected, and it brings my computer down. Completely frozen

Y-L

Smash Champion
Hmm very strange.. I would post here as I'm not sure why that would happen. Make sure to list all of your specs again there.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Here's the build without the video card but with the far superior cpu. I didn't include it in this because it is being released in like 2 or 3 weeks so you may as well wait. Just add the i5 4690k on to this (probably will be like 200 euro). If it doesn't end up being on that site after the 25th or you don't want to wait, replace it with an i5 4670k

Here is the second build with the dedicated card.

Last edited:

Droß

Smash Apprentice
You might be able to get cheaper RAM than that. I paid 40 USD for my 2x4GB sticks because they were off-brand, and I have never had problems with it (knock on wood). The design doesn't matter when it's sitting in an opaque tower anyway, and performance is often bottle necked by other parts of the computer.

Y-L

Smash Champion
You might be able to get cheaper RAM than that. I paid 40 USD for my 2x4GB sticks because they were off-brand, and I have never had problems with it (knock on wood). The design doesn't matter when it's sitting in an opaque tower anyway, and performance is often bottle necked by other parts of the computer.
That was in fact the cheapest ram on there. Gotta keep in mind that he's not in the US thus less providers. Also gotta have 2 of the same sticks to run dual channel and be careful with brands. Some are more efficient than others (i.e. Intel 3 ghz dual core > amd 4 ghz 6 core)

MV-Skipper

Smash Cadet
That was in fact the cheapest ram on there. Gotta keep in mind that he's not in the US thus less providers. Also gotta have 2 of the same sticks to run dual channel and be careful with brands. Some are more efficient than others (i.e. Intel 3 ghz dual core > amd 4 ghz 6 core)
Thanks but could you also add a monitor?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Thanks but could you also add a monitor?
Just add one on there yourself there isn't much secretive stuff about picking one out just make sure it's 720p or 1080p preferably.
If you need to downgrade something to afford the monitor switch out the 8gb (4x2) ram to 4 gb (2x2). Let me know if you need to downgrade more due to price.

muleet

Smash Apprentice
Hi again Y-L, it's weird but I can't emulate wiimotes since I've started to use the dolphin build from your guide. I've used another build before and I could connect wiimotes and play with it, but now, even if I activate the wiimote and configure them (in order to use them with pads on dolphin, which worked before), on the game it's not working. (During the wiimote configuration on this dolphin build, the pad works.) I've also tried to activate them during the game (by doing alt + F5) but still, my inputs does nothing in any game. I searched on every menu in dolphin but I don't see what could be wrong.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Hi again Y-L, it's weird but I can't emulate wiimotes since I've started to use the dolphin build from your guide. I've used another build before and I could connect wiimotes and play with it, but now, even if I activate the wiimote and configure them (in order to use them with pads on dolphin, which worked before), on the game it's not working. (During the wiimote configuration on this dolphin build, the pad works.) I've also tried to activate them during the game (by doing alt + F5) but still, my inputs does nothing in any game. I searched on every menu in dolphin but I don't see what could be wrong.
You can't use wiimotes with Netplay, they're just too buggy.

muleet

Smash Apprentice
I know, i only want to use them in offline games.They just never work, even in a zelda game, while they worked in previous build (in offline too of course). Does this build disable wiimotes?

Y-L

Smash Champion
I know, i only want to use them in offline games.They just never work, even in a zelda game, while they worked in previous build (in offline too of course). Does this build disable wiimotes?
Yes and that's because they don't function properly on Netplay and that's a Netplay Dolphin build. Use a separate build for wiimote use I suppose.

Top Bottom